[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was he so sad about his ex-gf having cancer when he could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 2249788-dr_manhattan.jpg (17 KB, 220x300) Image search: [Google]
2249788-dr_manhattan.jpg
17 KB, 220x300
Why was he so sad about his ex-gf having cancer when he could instantly cure her and even make her younger?

>inb4 he doesn't care about humanity

Ozy said she was the only thing that he could use against Manhattan since she was the only one he cared for, so this argument is invalid.

*ding ding* PLOT HOLE DETECTED!
>>
>>69243781
Dr. Manhattan doesn't have control that precise over the bodies of others, pretty much all he knows how to do is disintegrate them
>>
Don't think he could just do anything he wanted like cure her cancer or make her younger. He's not a god and humans are incredibly complex biological machines. He couldn't even make a giant crystal clock machine stable enough to survive. His final lines in the movie were about perhaps making some life of his own, implying that he never had before and probably had no experience manipulating/manifesting biological systems.

But what do I know, never read the graphic novels and only saw this once some years ago.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsD0HYw6WFI

and yeah, as others said above, I don't think Manhattan's powers extended that far.
>>
Couldn't he re create the earth to that point without her having cancer?
>>
blue dick man is such a faggot
>>
>>69244270
Doubtful. He couldn't even reliably stop every US/Russian nuke and that would be much simpler than creating an alternative earth.
>>
You faggots just don't understand how Dr Manhattan's powers work.
He has the power of a god. He can do anything, be anywhere, any time. Cancer? No prob. Create life? Boom. done. He discusses this with Adrian before he takes off at the end of the book.
The issue is, he is bound by his destiny. He COULD cure Janey, but since he is already in the future, he didn't. Therefore he can't. He's a puppet in a puppet show, only he can see the strings, and presumably the puppeteer.
He has to ''follow the script'' as it were. He explains this to Laurie on Mars.

What happens on Mars is that he takes the step to do what he wants since he can't see past the "tachyon disturbance" that's clouding his future. Once he does that, he's basically cut the strings that hold him, and he's able to act on his own, no longer bound by his destiny.
Thats why he leaves Earth for good, and goes off to "create life" somewhere.

Its some very complicated shit that doesn't translate well into a 3 hour movie. A lot of the fine details get lost due to time constraints. If Watchmen had been done as a 10 hour miniseries, it would have been 1000 times better. But even then, it still wouldn't capture all of the book.
>>
>>69245433
the "being bound by destiny" thing doesn't work like that. you aren't powerless to make decisions, it's just that your decisions are part of your destiny. he would have had to decide not to cure her cancer, because if he had decided to do it, it would have been his destiny. he did not "cut the strings" holding him, even when he couldn't see the future. cause -> effect
>>
File: Pax Americana .png (762 KB, 1278x507) Image search: [Google]
Pax Americana .png
762 KB, 1278x507
>>
>>69243830
Manhattan cam manipulate matter at a molecular level, tho.
>>
HBO is on the talks to make a series of Watchmen.
>>
>>69246341
He's still not a surgeon though, right? Having the ability to hypothetically do something, and knowing how to are very different.
>>
>>69246712
He also didn't go to school to be a martian architect but he built a fucking castle on mars.
>>
That's not how his powers work stupid.
>>
>>69246730
He did learn watchmaking from his father, isnt the implication he applied it to that structure?
>>
>>69243781
>has the power of a god
>lets himself be turned into a lapdog for the americans

some ambition wouldn't have hurt him
>>
>>69246778
Yet, he went away saying that if he felt like it, he'd create life somewhere else.
>>
>>69246960
He was using his previous relationship as a US scientist to act as a deterrent to nuclear war while he tried to solve the world's energy crisis. Notice how he only intervened when there was as chance of them fucking up so badly it would have destabilized the globe and caused something worse?
>>
>>69246977
I'm not arguing really, just wondering about the limits of his power. I assume his trying his hand at life would be a process of trial and error.
>>
>>69243781
If he could have don't you think he would have?
>>
>>69245652
>the "being bound by destiny" thing doesn't work like that. you aren't powerless to make decisions, it's just that your decisions are part of your destiny.
Which is what I said.
He couldn't cure her cancer because according to his future, he didn't. He's following a sort of script, and he can't/won't deviate from it. He's a puppet, just like everyone else, he just knows he is. He explains the whole thing to Laurie on Mars, in a better fashion in the book than in the movie.
Also, Adrian had a device generating tachyons, which were clouding his future. He couldn't see clearly beyond a certain point. We are led to believe its due to a total nuclear war. We only find out later it's part of Adrian's plan.
When he decides to come back with Laurie it's because he's witnessed something he'd never seen before. a "miracle" in his own words. Plus, he's disintegrated again, and reforms himself. It's after that point, he's no longer doing the "it's 30 minutes into the future, and I'm taking a leak" schtick.
He's witnessed a miracle. Something he's never seen, and has his interest in humanity/life restored. He's also transformed again by Adrian's Intrinsic Field Subtractor. He's different. He's free. He's basically able to tell 'destiny' to fuck off, and start writing his own. Thus the reason he leaves Earth for good, and goes off create life somewhere else. It's all right there in the book.
>>
>>69247181
He had the ability to do so, but he couldn't because according to his future, he didn't.
He's like a character in a book, doing what the author is making him do, only he knows he's a character in a book, and that he basically can't deviate from the "story"
Dr Manhattan is a very complicated character. It's really fascinating how much Moore put into him.
>>
File: atom.jpg (238 KB, 700x553) Image search: [Google]
atom.jpg
238 KB, 700x553
>>
File: 2195839-merovin.jpg (9 KB, 320x235) Image search: [Google]
2195839-merovin.jpg
9 KB, 320x235
>>69245652
>causality
I just had a deja vu
>>
>>69243781
Senator Palpatine was clouding his ability to use the force.
>>
>>69245888
Where is that from?
>>
File: pax pencils 7.jpg (458 KB, 1561x1200) Image search: [Google]
pax pencils 7.jpg
458 KB, 1561x1200
>>69249237
Pax Americana, a single issue, but part of Grant Morrison's Multiversity. It takes place on the Charleston Earth, using the characters on which the Watchmen were based. It's inspired by, and clearly indebted to Watchmen, but in itself is an incredible single issue. I really, really recommend it to fans of Watchmen. Captain Atom is Manhattan.
>>
To be fair, this is something that too bothered me in the comic, there is no justification for why Doc Manhattan wont remove the cancer out of those people.
>>
>>69244222

>can create life
>can't cure cancer

Okay.
>>
The way Manhattan experiences time, it never made sense to me that Veidt's tachyonfaggotry could take him by surprise. I mean, he'd be well aware that at some point in the future the timeline becomes blocked.
>>
>>69250620

He thought it was nuclear war.
>>
>>69249943
You and I can do one but not the other.
>>
>>69247596
Why couldn't he stop all of Russia's nukes? It's seems well within his power and not something that he would ever decide against (because why only stop some of them in that case?)
>>
>>69248479
Merovingian is a top tier character
>>
>>69243781

>poorly written capeshit

Who would've thought?
>>
>>69251990
>can't cure cancer
Bitch we're close
>>
>>69252286

he could, but he thought that his timeline was blocked because of nuclear war, implying he couldnt stop them all.
>>
>>69252626
Oh I get it

>tfw too dumb to figure it out myself
>>
>>69243898
>no ending where Manhattan makes a planet filled with Rorschachs
>>
>>69246960
He was always a weak willed individual and basically let his dad bully him into his profession as a scientist. This is explored in the comics.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.