[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck was the point of tying this thing to Cloverfield?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
>>
There was no point, they were hoping on Cloverfield fans going to see it.

I don't know how many times this movie made me flip flop on Goodman's intentions. Turns out John Goodman wasn't a good man.
>>
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>>
Marketing to get people to see it.
>>
The fact that it has cloverfield in its name ruins the twist imo. Because you're expecting some sort of alien to show up.

The fact that /tv/ called the ending before it even premiered shows I'm right.
>>
>>69196661
>>
Obviously marketing has a lot to do with it, but I think there's a lot of subtextual meaning to the whole Cloverfield bit

There's a few hints through the movie that it's a satire on the film industry, and I think the title having "Cloverfield" in it is only the first clue there.
>>
>>69196710
Yeah, the title is a spoiler if you know about the previous film. Way to fuck up a cool movie, Hollywood.
>>
>>69196753
What are the other hints?
>>
>>69195854
I was on board with this movie, until the last 10 minutes or so. It might just be the version I watched, but I could barely tell what was going on at the end.

>Alien monster chasing chick
>It conveniently runs away when the alien cropduster shows up, giving her enough time to put her gask mask on
>a minute or two later, it shows long enough to pull her gas mask off, and then disappears again
>somehow, this deadly chemical has dissipated in the matter of a couple of minutes, and the air is perfectly breathable

I would have just preferred it if John Goodman was just crazy, and wanted his own personal daughterfu/sex slave.
>>
Money

also

IMAX
M
A
X
>>
>implying it's not setting up a Cloverfield Cinematic Universe
>>
>>69196796
It's been a while, I don't remember if there were other "hints", per se, but I remember them going out of their way to mention that they have movies in the shelter, there might've been other stuff

But then you have the characters each representing a different aspect of it;
>Emmett - filmgoer
>Michelle - filmmaker
>Howard - executive/production company/whatever

The whole thing with her being an artist, being literally kept down by Howard, who claims he's only helping her, then using her own low-budget makeshift creation to take out the big dumb CGI monster ...

It's all subjective, but seeing it this way always makes me a bit disappointed when people complain about the ending. Sure, the pacing was off, but I feel the ending is agreeing with people complaining about the bigdumb, not being bigdumb itself.

Cloverfield representing a big, dumb, CGI fuelled, found-footage mess I feel has a lot to do with the enemy in Cloverfield Lane. It's about beating that kind of movie, not being it.
>>
>>69195854
No connection to Cloverfield besides the name and existence of Slusho Co.
CLOVER WASNT AN ALIEN IT WAS FROM EARTH.
>>
>>69196952
No, its not.
JJ literally said he's hoping to make this series an anthology, going for a different genre every movie.
So, we'll probably get another standalone alien shit movie with another cliffhanger and the possibility of sequels open, and another one that could connect all of them.
>>
>Trachtenberg stated that 10 Cloverfield Lane does not take place in the same fictional universe as Cloverfield.
>>
File: 534534.jpg (48 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
534534.jpg
48 KB, 268x265
>>69195854
John Goodman barely reedeemed this movie. The ONLY one cast that was remotely capable of giving a convincing performance.
>>
How do we market this thing without giving too much of the story away in the trailer?

Hurr Cloverfield
>>
>>69197018
holy overthinking batman
>>
I think this might be the most survivable alien invasion I've ever seen in a movie, aside from maybe Signs.
>>
>>69197475
I'm surprised he agreed to do this garbage considering his characters arc was shit.

they should have found a way to show that he didn't kill that girl and it was a paranoia driven misunderstanding and that he only shot the other guy because he believed he was unhinged and dangerous. making him a serial killer who morphs into a half dead unstoppable monster in the last 15 minutes of the movie just shits all over the only interesting concept in this. it really felt like an inventive and well written movie about claustraphobic paranoia and subtle character interplay that a dumbshit studio picked up, completely ruined with notes, and then forced in some confusing and unwarranted franchise branding to drum up interest.
>>
>>69197747
>I'm surprised he agreed to do this garbage considering his characters arc was shit.
As if he had standards, he was a voice actor for Bee Movie ffs.
>>
i thought it was good

stop whining aspies
>>
>>69197264
so andromeda strain references are going to be a common theme but not a direct connection?
>>
>>69197264
>make great intro to alien invasion series
>abandon it
They'd have fucked it up anyways.
>>
>>69197264
So we Twilight Zone now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvbQoJ5Mzo
>>
>>69196753

Ugh.

You probbaly refer to Guardians of the Galaxy as a space opera and Winter Soldier as a political thriller, huh?
>>
File: 1462500881174.jpg (177 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1462500881174.jpg
177 KB, 480x640
>>69195854
>RIP Howard he LITERALLY did nothing wrong but save that annoying cunt

The dumbest plot hole was not getting the radio chatter in the shelter

what a stupid fucking movie watched it a 1.5X speed , and still would rather have ate pic related
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.