[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should someone have told him that being a creative drummer is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: whiplash2.jpg (173 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
whiplash2.jpg
173 KB, 1280x720
Should someone have told him that being a creative drummer is more important than being a fast drummer?
>>
What about just being a good drummer? There are plenty of good, solid and otherwise unremarkable drummers who do their job and get no fanfare, and they're always the best. The rest substitute fills for any metronomic talent
>>
Probably

Alternatively he could've told him that just working up to that speed by learning other pieces progressively getting faster would've been way more effective in actually understanding why the piece needs to be that fast as opposed to just "FASTER FASTER"

Or that generally positive reinforcement has been found to be way more effective than negative

But I don't think that was the idea with the character
>>
He wasn't trying to be a fast drummer, he was training to be a disciplined drummer
>>
>>69186610

What this lad said

Composers are always gonna be infinitely better then drummers composing percussion parts
>>
He just wanted the perfect double time swing.
>>
being a good drummer is all about the groove

anyone who ever played an instrument will tell you that playing fast shit is entry level
>>
>>69186610
>>69186686
>>69186718
What these guys said.

t. professional drummer
>>
>>69186718
he wasnt trying to be fast, tho.
>>
>>69186701
Why can't he do it himself?
He should have someone screaming at him and throwing chairs until he gets it right.
>>
The thing is he's a musician for an orchestra. He needs to be a robot and do exactly what's needed. It's not his job to make groovy beats. His job is to being able to do what he's told.
>>
I don't know shit about music but I kinda felt like he overacted in many moments. Like you can tell how fucking and ardouous great drumming can be just by the amount of sweat the Drummer will have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1KFjD4XY60

Miles Teller looked like he was about to passout during many of the solos which doesn't make sense to me.
>>
File: sr16[1].jpg (47 KB, 600x435) Image search: [Google]
sr16[1].jpg
47 KB, 600x435
>>69186960
>His job is to being able to do what he's told.
Drummer or not, when you're playing music it's organic and the experience of playing music with people can take on a life of its own and easily twist and turn, otherwise you might as well be an SR-16 drum machine with dated samples.
That's the funny thing about Whiplash; it treats jazz (which I fucking hate but anyway) as music that is only suited to robotic players with no creativity of their own.
If you've ever seen a jazz "orchestra" live, they jam with each other and actually play a show, rather than act like a group of children doing show and tell to their class.
>>
>>69187263
>Miles Teller looked like he was about to passout during many of the solos which doesn't make sense to me.
Dramatic license, because someone drumming properly without tensing up would be less engaging than someone who has snap-cuts to his cymbals being spattered with blood
>>
Because none of you faggots know anything about music and what it means to be a real musician. jazz is the greatest american art form, and one of the few good things that niggers did.
>>
File: 1115419-the1.jpg (56 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1115419-the1.jpg
56 KB, 800x792
you don't have to be good to be good
>>
>>69187683
ringo was consistent. he never made a single mistake in studio sessions.
>>
>>69188317
Nobody ever makes a mistake in studio sessions, anon.
>>
>>69186665
this

The didn't want a faster drummer, he wanted the best, the more disciplined and the perfect one, because he knew that he was.

>>69186390
And be the best is more important be faster or creative.
By the way, drummer are just the living metronomes.
>>
File: 1462491391512.jpg (391 KB, 1374x1425) Image search: [Google]
1462491391512.jpg
391 KB, 1374x1425
>>69186390
>music

>creativity
>>
>>69186686
>implying most songwriters have any idea how to write a drum part
I'd like to visit your world.
>>
>people think that a guy beating something is a musician

ahh... nothing like a good laugh.

thank you Piotr for use something better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxgYlcNxE8
>>
It's amazing that all the music, everything about this movie is the opposite of jazz.
>playing in an orchestra
>playing out of sheets
If this moron wanted to be an actual jazz drummer he should have gone to jam sessions full of old niggers who know that stuff.
>>
>>69188365

I'm a musician its how I make my living, I play with celebrities in an east european country

Recently we were recording an album and we have a 19 year old drummer. Kid just went into the studio and laid everything down first take, everything in a couple hour then took a train back to his hometown 400 kilometers away.

But its rare as fuck and the dudes practically a perfect pitch genius.

A lot of mistakes get ironed out in production but most everyone makes them
>>
>>69188549
>he wanted the best, the more disciplined and the perfect one
>implying discipline doesn't change from song to song
That's how music is made.
>By the way, drummer are just the living metronomes.
If you're 100% discipline and no musicianship, sure
It's an instrument like any other, with subtleties and dynamics. Treating a drummer like shit will lead you to newspaper ads, looking for a new drummer who's willing to put up with your know-it-all bullshit.
>>
>>69188921
cool, which instrument do you play?
>>
>>69188566
>/tv/
>rational thinking
>>
>>69188921
>A lot of mistakes get ironed out in production but most everyone makes them
That was the point I tried to make, that nobody makes mistakes in a studio session because you never hear mistakes.
That dude sounds like a legend. Did you know him before, or did he listen to some of your stuff and just instantly know how to play each time?
>>
>>69188965
it just a troll thread dude, I am musician too.

But let's be honest, if you can be a good metronome, take you creativity with you an let's us. Play electric bass instead.
>>
>>69186636
>Or that generally positive reinforcement has been found to be way more effective than negative
>But I don't think that was the idea with the character

No shit.
>>
>>69188566
this desu
>>
>>69189024
>you
>not sucking my dick
>>
>>69189231
BTFO
>>
>>69189231
holy shit REKT
>>
>>69188566
Guaranteedreplies.jpg
>>
zach here, thanks man
>>
>>69186390
>I don't understand jazz fusion
>>
>>69189683
>kayne west of jazz
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.