[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will you be making the upgrade to 4K UHD Blu-rays, /tv/? ht
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 4ks.jpg (106 KB, 578x488) Image search: [Google]
4ks.jpg
106 KB, 578x488
Will you be making the upgrade to 4K UHD Blu-rays, /tv/?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/050416_1600
>>
>falling for the 4K meme

You might as well let a nigger fuck your wife
>>
>>69157209
1080p is literally the perfect resolution.

everything above it is overkill.
>>
Are 4K Blurays ever going to be decoded or what
>>
the human eye can't see more than 720p per second
>>
>buying physical media
Why haven't you been filling hard drives with movies for the past 10 years?
>>
>>69157311
>>69157277
>being this poor
>>
>>69157209
I don't even have a 4K tv.

If I did I'd only be buying it for new releases, at a 4K resolution with older films all you're doing is bringing out more of the flaws than added clarity
>>
>we'll now get 4K Bluray torrents
Please be a thing
>>
>>69157209
Beyond a certain point you probably don't need to see everything in ultra high def.

It's alright for modern stuff made for it and has its place (nature documentaries are lovely in 4k no debate there) but honestly I've had some disappointing experiences watching older films in this definition.
Costumes suddenly look cheaper, It becomes easier to pick out real locations from sound stages and sets. Special effects can be ruined by it too.
>>
>>69157277
>>69157311
>being blind and poor

>>69157209
no,who the hell actually buys blu rays anymore? I bought a player years ago and then like 1 year into it's life it stopped being able to play new blu rays because they changed the fucking keys or whatever because "muh piracy" checked sony's website and there was no software update for my model, so fuck 'em I'm pirating everything
>>
Already have a 4k tv and 4k player.

The biggest difference isn't the resolution, it's the high dynamic range and color. You really have to see it to understand the difference.
>>
>>69158156
Yeah I saw the techmoan video as well.
>>
File: 1461949528624.jpg (142 KB, 779x958) Image search: [Google]
1461949528624.jpg
142 KB, 779x958
>>69157519
Enjoy your hard drives failing.
>>
>>69157209
i'll be, in the next 3-8 years.
>>
File: cat shit.jpg (101 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
cat shit.jpg
101 KB, 720x960
>>69159300
>not having backups
>being this shortsighted
>>
>>69157209

read the text

i have seen both copies...world of difference as the tech catches up

wait for 4k
>>
>>69159510
Stay moist cacate.
>>
>>69157209
i can't afford it

also, i'm pretty sure most of the movies being released in "4k" are mastered in 2k
>>
The only good movies were made prior to the digital film era.

Back then what you saw in a theater was generally a copy of a copy of a film master. Resolution tests have shown that ultimately 35mm seen in a typical theater had a 720p range quality picture.

So 1080p is fine for everything that matters in film.

If you want to see modern shit in 4k however knock yourself out.
>>
>>69157209

Eventually, not right now though.
>>
>>69157676
>who the hell actually buys blu rays anymore?

People who actually like visual quality. All your shit torrented reencodes and Netflix are upscaled DVD tier.
>>
>>69160307
>also, i'm pretty sure most of the movies being released in "4k" are mastered in 2k

And it's not like we have resource sites that list the mastering and intermediary quality used in every major film.

Oh wait, there's plenty of those because studios list this shit as part of spec certification.
>>
>>69161434
>Resolution tests have shown that ultimately 35mm seen in a typical theater had a 720p range quality picture.

Tests carried out by your colon, and published by your ass?
>>
If there are torrents of them then yes
>>
>>69161576

Anon. I know you graduated at the top of your class and enjoy a highly successful well paying job and life, but the facts are 35mm film release prints shown in theaters are sub 1080p visual quality and usually in the 720p quality range.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7262540
http://www.motionfx.gr/files/35mm_resolution_english.pdf
http://www.digital-intermediate.co.uk/resolution/resolution.htm

Digital cinema is a different thing entirely and is not subject to the the large shift in quality from generational loss that analog film has.
>>
>>69157622

Imagine the YIFYfag denial when the release 2GB 4k.
>>
>4k blu Ray

Why ? In theaters it is mostly 2k screenings
>>
>>69157209
Ghostbusters was one of the first 4k releases, so I at least don't have to buy that one again.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.