[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this the greatest movie trilogy and possibly the greatest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: LOTR.jpg (238 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
LOTR.jpg
238 KB, 1440x1080
Why is this the greatest movie trilogy and possibly the greatest movie series ever created? Let's hear your thoughts, /tv/
>>
It's not
>>
File: 564.gif (685 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
564.gif
685 KB, 500x500
Why didn't they just sail along the coast to Gondor?
>>
File: 1462312207098.jpg (238 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
1462312207098.jpg
238 KB, 624x420
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423?page=4

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3110466/Game-Thrones-creator-defends-rape-scenes-Author-says-dishonest-boring-leave-sexual-violence.html

>'But if you’re going to write about war, and you just want to include all the cool battles and heroes killing a lot of orcs and things like that and you don’t portray [sexual violence], then there’s something fundamentally dishonest about that.

How can one man be so based?
>>
>>69153791
>A world of magic and this nigga is worried about taxes

No wonder the series is going to shit. He's probably imagining how the election in Westeros is going and that's why it's holding up him finishing the book.
>>
I remember on the making of something was said that really hit home with me.
"let's pretend this was all real. Let's pretend that we're actually getting to shoot in the locations that these events really happened. Our props are modeled after real artifacts."

That's why it was the best. They treated it like it was real, Jackson was just crazy enough to think he could pull it off and he did.
>>
>>69153777
fpbp
>>
>>69153777
Wrong
>>
>>69153791

Tolkien's world is rooted in mythology and folklore. It's astonishing that a writer like Gurm doesn't get that.
>>
>>69153777
What a fucking waste of trips.
>>
Because Tolkien is based asf
>>
>>69153876
He's too busy writing pages with detailed descriptions of food, diarrhea and fat pink masts to care about folklore
>>
>>69153779
Seawraiths.
>>
>>69153791
Did this retard forget the whole book is a manuscript written by Frodo and is supposed to be like a myth or legend or whatever? Why would Frodo waste a buncha time writing about Aragorn's domestic policy and shit? It's Frodo's fucking adventure
>>
>>69153757
have you even seen antonioni's alienation trilogy mate
>>
I remember marathoning LOTR on shrooms and every scene looked straight up like John Howes artwork.
>>
>>69153847
Absolutely this. I don't think there's ever been a project with such attention to detail, such immersion within the universe of the story, such love and decication going into every element of the production.

Everything that the Hobbit lacked.
>>
>>69153979
No but I've seen problem child 1 & 2
>>
>>69154008
Which is weird because The Hobbit had the same director, writers, art directors, editor, composer and cinematographer that LotR did
>>
>>69154116
Making it into 3 movies made it feel like butter spread over too much bread.
>>
>>69154116
Jackson wanted to make 1 or was it 2 ? movies, the studios forced him to rush 3
>>
>>69153952
>a manuscript written by Frodo
Close anon. The Hobbit and the lord of the rings, as well as the silmarilion are all from the red book of westmarch. The silmarillion is Bilbo's translation of elven lore while he stayed in rivendale. There and back again is bilbo's tale of the adventure, and he writes some of the history of the war of the rings but frodo is left to edit, revise, and fill in the gaps. Sam is the one who writes the epilogue. In universe all of this is given to Tolkien, who then translates it into english, and adds the appendices.
>>
>>69153791
Martin is a fucking hack who has never written anything of merit.
>>
>>69154154
Jackson didn't want to make it at all, del taco was going to do it. He backed out for reasons and the studio said if he didn't do it there were going to give it to some hack to fuck up.

He asked for a shitload of money, and took the payday. It makes sense considering the studio screwed everyone on the back end by still claiming to this day the lord of the rings hasn't turned a profit.
>>
>>69153791
>>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes

That sounds exactly like what he's doing with the impending White Walker war. They even wear black clothes and look ugly.
>>
>>69153791
There's also something fundamentally dishonest about focusing almost exclusively on upper class sex and violence, like Martin. And why the hell would Aragorn have to genocide the orcs? It's not exactly hard for a defeated race, pushed to the fringes, to fade into extinction.
>>
>>69154154
It's funny how Jackson says in one of the behind the scenes videos for LotR that he originally pitched them to the studios as two movies to cover the whole trilogy but when the studio asked for three since there were three books it meant that he had to do a rewrite from page 1.

Meanwhile now he claims that two movies can easily turn into three to defend the studio's decision so he can still get jobs in Hollywood.
>>
>>69154404
I always wonder what the movies would have been like if they only settled for the usual 90 -120 run-time.
>>
File: rivendell-frodo.jpg (253 KB, 1600x1199) Image search: [Google]
rivendell-frodo.jpg
253 KB, 1600x1199
Pure kino
>>
>>69154484
Why does Rivendel have hobbit sized handrails? That isn't very safe for the elves that live there.
>>
>>69153791

>'But if you’re going to write about war, and you just want to include all the cool battles and heroes killing a lot of orcs and things like that and you don’t portray [sexual violence], then there’s something fundamentally dishonest about that.

All soldiers are rapists.
>>
>>69154404
He pitched it as two because he didn't think a studio would let him do a third.
Not because he thought there should only be two.
>>
>>69154532
Frodo was a big guy.
>>
>>69154574
for Frodo
>>
>>69154547
The point is that with LotR turning two movies into two required a full rewrite before even entering pre-production.

Meanwhile in The Hobbit they did it with most of the movies already filmed.
>>
File: 6vRmoIu.gif (999 KB, 500x156) Image search: [Google]
6vRmoIu.gif
999 KB, 500x156
>>69154634
>>
File: 6038525.png (316 KB, 287x215) Image search: [Google]
6038525.png
316 KB, 287x215
>can you meme, master hobbit?
>>
>>69153757
no diversity casting
>>
>>69153791
BECAUSE NOBODY LIKES TAXES YOU FUCKING RETARDED FAT FUCK
>>
>>69153952
hobbits were autistic as fuck about history and stories and shit
>>
>>69154805
All white is alright
>>
That's not Beverly Hills Cop.

I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe...
>>
>>69154805
What are you talking about? There were hobbits, elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, goblins and trolls. It was a pretty diverse world.
>>
>>69154941
yeah but no diversity casting for the sake of having diversity or filling a quota
>>
Literally the most overrated movies of all time
>>
>>69154941
An admirable shitpost
>>
>>69154941
>>69155009
Who would we have today? Idris Elba as Frodo or Gandalf
>>
File: Woody_Toy_Story_3.jpg (182 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Woody_Toy_Story_3.jpg
182 KB, 1024x576
>I thought this was a thread for the greatest movie trilogy? Where are all my friends?
>>
>>69153779
Why didn't they go to the other side of the world and dig a hole to sneak into Mordor?
>>
>>69153757
They took it seriously.
>>
Honestly of the hobbit movies, I think the first one is great.
>>
>>69155058
>Idris Elba as Frodo
kek
>>
>>69156334
It's really comfy.
>>
>>69153779
But they did. Aragorn even had a sail with the white tree.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.