[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dubbed or subbed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
Dubbed or subbed?
>>
Subs for anything foreign fucking pleb.
>>
>>69111050
singapore dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qylk_uscg
>>
>>69111090
The neon genesis evangelion dub is pretty good though
>>
>>69111050
Why is this a question?
>>
>>69111050
depends on the series/film. For example, I would watch Zatoichi subbed but a Godzilla film dubbed. For GitS however, the English dub is good and it takes place in Hong Kong right so it would make more sense for them to speaking English than for them to be speaking Japanese anyhow.
>>
The only reason you should ever watch a dubbed version of anything is if it was created as a joke to make it funnier.. like MXC.
>>
Subbed. That way I can tell if they are good actors or not.
>>
>>69111050
Dubbed GitS is inferior and kills the atmosphere, it is also not true to the original script and takes liberties in the translation that are questionable.
It is VERY rare that a dub is superior. Black Lagoon and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust come to mind.
>>
>>69111050
movie always subbed
animation movie it doesn't matter
>>
>>69111050

Always subbed.
The product is created audio visually. The intonation, rhythm, frequency of the voices and all the other sounds are intrinsically part of the final product and while dubs can occasionally improve over the original the fact is that dubs prevent you from enjoying the product as close as the original as possible.

Not to mention dubs disrespect the actors since the voice acting is half of the work.
>>
>>69111755
>The product is created audio visual
>audio visual
>visual

So it's not okay to disrespect the actors by dubbing over their work but it IS okay to disrespect the artists by putting subtitles over their work?
>>
>>69111131
People keep saying this but it really isn't. All the dub voices sound so flat and lifeless compared to the jap voiceactors.
>>
>>69111131
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime where the dub is objectively better. The characterization is spot-on.

NGE's dub isn't anything special.
>>
>>69111050
Dubbed for movies
Subbed for TV
Itchy ballsac for Arise
>>
>>69111050
dubbed hands down eat a dick weebs
>>
File: sx24a9.jpg (46 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
sx24a9.jpg
46 KB, 1600x900
>>69111592
>Black Lagoon
my fucking nigga
>>
>>69111670
>animation movie it doesn't matter
Of course it matters. Why wouldn't it?

>>69112232
Have you ever actually seen subtitles?
>>
>>69113136
yes, the can sometimes take up the whole bottom third of the screen. I'd rather just enjoy the visual artistry than have it ruined by that and shrill Japanese loli voices screaming DESU DESU DESU
>>
File: actual subtitles.jpg (76 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
actual subtitles.jpg
76 KB, 1920x1080
>>69113385
Ok so you haven't seen subtitles. No, they don't take up "the whole bottom third of the screen."

>shrill Japanese loli voices screaming DESU DESU DESU
Meme.
>>
>>69113136
off course not.
animated movie is always dubbed. so i choose the most comfy dubs.
>>
>>69113670
The original voice acting is part of the work. The actors were chosen by the production team, had their performances directed by the production team, and were reading from a script written by the production team.
>>
File: gits.jpg (44 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
44 KB, 736x414
I'm watching the original Japanese rip of Ghost in the Shell and in every scene she has a funky mustache. WTF? Did they edit it out for the English versions or something??
>>
>>>/a/
>>
>>69113090
/thread
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (42 KB, 705x398) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
42 KB, 705x398
>>69113522
apparently you haven't seen them, pic related. And oh yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlEA5F0Kdzs such a meme. The example of shrill annoying Japanese voice acting never ever actually happens. You fucking moron.
>>
either
dub is good
>>
>>69113877
Those look like some garbage-tier fansubs or someone's idea of a joke. Highly unusual and in no way representative of what subtitles are normally like.

>And oh yeah such a meme
Yes, it is a meme.

>The example of shrill annoying Japanese voice acting never ever actually happens.
Nobody said it doesn't happen.
>>
>>69111050
dubbed

checkem
>>
File: bale.webm (1 MB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
bale.webm
1 MB, 959x720
>>69111050
dubbed s
>>
This is the only anime I've watched dubbed because the Major's voice is sexy as fuck.
>>
>>69113723

Animated character don't have """original""" voice.
i choose to see movie with subs because the voice is inseparable from the actor.
When you give a voice to an animated charachter stuff like """"original"""" voice no longer exist.
>>
>>69114011
nice
>>
>>69114011
Holy fuck
>>69111050
Dub everytime.
>>
>>69114045
>Animated character don't have """original""" voice.
Are you suffering from a traumatic brain injury or something?
>>
File: desubot.jpg (89 KB, 888x499) Image search: [Google]
desubot.jpg
89 KB, 888x499
>>69113958
then what's your argument? You say that anime does have annoying voice acting but that I should still watch it subbed because finding bubbly squealing schoolgirls voicing things like FUCKING TANKS annoying is somehow a meme?
>>
>>69114144
oh yeah, a bunch of pixel can speak!!! what a stupid i am
>>
>>69114171
yeah, because that's how the creative team wanted it to be.
>hating on the tachikomas
nigga
>>
>>69112232

The subtitles don't cover their work most times and if you don't understand the language i think it's the closest you can get to enjoying the product as it was meant to be seen.

>>69113385

If you don't want to see lolis just don't watch anime with lolis... however if you watch an anime with lolis in it bear in mind that they have that insufferable pitch and scream stuff like DESU or Sempai or whatever.

I think it's a cultural thing... i don't think we are supposed to get it but that's how the original is. You don't have to like it but watching it with subs is still closer to the original intention than changing the trait to accommodate to your culture.
>>
>>69114224
I'm not watching anime with lolis I'm watching ghost in the shell with the fucking cutest poo tachikomas thrown in because.. JAPAN !!
>>69114171
>>
>>69114171
It's a meme to claim that all anime voice acting consists of "shrill Japanese loli voices." Even the way people get hyper offended over "shrill loli voices" is a meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1YBiBnoAQ

Incidentally she has been one of the most popular voice actresses for years now.
>>
dubbed because you miss out on all the quality animation if you read the subtitles
>>
>>69114317
I've never in my life heard this complaint regarding live action movies.
>>
>>69112976
its because they watched it when they were kids
>>
Batou and the Major are both English speakers, so obviously dubbed.

The English SAC dub is honestly better.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.