[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential Cronenberg movies? Just saw Videodrome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: vid-05.jpg (18 KB, 620x329) Image search: [Google]
vid-05.jpg
18 KB, 620x329
What are the essential Cronenberg movies? Just saw Videodrome and I want more.
>>
>>69110308
Cosmopolis (his best)
The Fly
A Dangerous Method
>>
Cosmopolis is a very interesting, unique cinematic experience

Maps to the Stars is awesome, sort of his The Player/Mulholland Drive

The Brood is comfy horror

Scanners is flawed but still worth a watch

History of Violence remains staggeringly overrated
>>
>>69110460
So much wrong in one post.
>>
File: viewing guide to st.png (45 KB, 984x960) Image search: [Google]
viewing guide to st.png
45 KB, 984x960
>>69110308
>essential Cronenberg
Posting the official /tv/ viewing guide.
>>
>>69110500
I notice you didnt offer any of your own opinions. Thanks for your contribution to the thread though anyway.
>>
>>69110308
Eastern Promises and History of Violence are both great. Viggo is so based.
>>
>>69110308
Cronenberg openly admits that his horror movies are garbage. I feel sorry for you if you enjoyed Videodrome.
>>
>>69110551
Iknowrite. I only wish there was a way that you could give really helpful posts some kind of bump so they would be the first thing everyone sees in a thread, or a way to bury posts that I don't personally like.

Maybe some kind of karma, or voting system. That would be cool because then you would have to sign up and get your own unique name, so everyone could know exactly what a cool guy you are.
>>
>>69110602
Well Cronenberg is full of shit and loves to suck his own cock so of course he hates the things that everyone else likes.
>>
>>69110544
But that would mean he'd have to watch eXistenZ
>>
>>69110602
Wait a second, an artist is hard on himself about his past work? Holy shit, I am in disbelief. That is unheard of in cinema, music, or the visual arts.
>>
>>69110662
Ah, and suddenly it makes sense. Meme on brother. Easier than honesty and insight.
>>
>>69110728
That was somebody else kek.
>>
>>69110687
Oh hell nah, eXistenZ is based.
>>
Scanners
Videodrome
The Fly
Naked Lunch
Crash
eXistenZ
A History of Violence
Maps to the Stars

You can skip the rest
>>
File: hurrvy durnt.jpg (54 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
hurrvy durnt.jpg
54 KB, 350x350
>>69110687
...you don't say
>>
>>69110846
It's awful and didn't do anything that hadn't already been done up to that point
>>
>>69110962
>didn't do anything that hadn't already been done up to that point
Name three.
>>
>>69110687
What did he mean by this
>>
>>69111033
I like the film, but it's basically a more accessible Videodrome, no?
>>
File: existenZ.jpg (100 KB, 728x478) Image search: [Google]
existenZ.jpg
100 KB, 728x478
Watch eXistenZ, it's got an awesome Jennifer Jason Leigh in it.
>>
>>69111033
Name three things it didn't do? It didn't build an airplane, it didn't mix concrete, and it didn't discover a new fruit.
>>
>>69111226
No. Not really. Aside from the Cronenberg aesthetic/look and some body horror they don't have a whole lot in common at a story or thematic level.

It also has some great stuff you wont catch until subsequent re-watches, like the acting is stiff and kind of shitty in the beginning, but its intentional, the end of the movie reveals that what we had assumed was the "real world" or "baseline" was still another recursive layer of abstraction, they were in the game from the opening credits till the end. So the acting was wooden because all the characters were like second life sprites, and the complexity is added on as they go deeper into the game inside the game inside the game, that was all inside a game. Also the ultimate "bad guys" of the movie were the opposite of the supporters of the new flesh.
>>
>>69110308
It's so weird watching any movie with James Woods in it after this, my mind just thinks that he's on another mission, like the head of the secret service in White House Down.
>>
>>69111665
See, i've had this exact same train of thought, but the problem is that every actor in all of Cronenburg's films acts this way.
>>
New Cronenberg >>> Classic Cronenberg
>>
>>69112087
They definitely get more natural as the movie progresses. I might be reaching but it feels pretty deliberate.
>>
>>69112121
Anon, you might want to see a doctor about that head injury after all. I'm kind of worried.
>>
>>69111331
ExistenZ is a crap movie that hipsters love to jerk themselves off over.
The Matrix does everything eXistenZ does but much better.
>>
Where should i start?
I heard Naked Lunch was good but i don't know, seems weird
>>
>>69110687
>he'd have to watch one of Cronenberg's best movies
That poor guy.
>>
>>69112292
They don't do the same thing at all you goober.
>>
File: deadzone.jpg (10 KB, 211x317) Image search: [Google]
deadzone.jpg
10 KB, 211x317
One of his best movies.
>>
>>69112292

No, it doesn't, because eXistenz perfectly simulates the experience of playing a 1990s point and click adventure game
>>
>>69112902
I never thought about it that way, but you're right.
>>
>>69112902
While The Matrix simulates the experience of playing a fun video game.
>>
File: goose autism.jpg (11 KB, 238x279) Image search: [Google]
goose autism.jpg
11 KB, 238x279
>no one mentioned Dead Ringers (1988), starring Jeremy Irons, yet
>>
Am I the only one that finds Cronenberg extremely overrated? I'll admit much of his lesser known stuff I've yet to see. I'll also admit Videodrome is good. Not great but good. But while movies like eXistenZ and A History of Violence have some good things going for them, I ultimate don't consider them very good movies.
>>
File: death to existenz.png (909 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
death to existenz.png
909 KB, 1366x768
>>69111665
>See what I mean?

>See the problem?
>>
>>69113928
>extremely overrated?
By who? Saying something is overrated is not really a valid criticism. Even if you don't like his movies you KNOW you're watching a cronenberg movie. He's got a very defined and unique style that's almost worth watching for its own merits. The fact that he's directed at least two movies I consider "perfect movies" puts him above of most of his contemporaries.
>>
Am I a brain-dead pleb for preferring Carpenter over Cronenbergs?
>>
>>69114562
Not really. I mean Carpenter is one of the few things /tv/ can agree on.
>>
What should I expect going into Naked Lunch?
>>
>>69115613

Blatant false advertising.
>>
>>69114562
No not at all. Watch that video where it's Carp and Cronenberg and John Landis on a panel hosted by Mick Garris. You can tell JC thinks cronenberg is totally pretentious and up his own ass (which is true)
>>
>>69114453
>by who?
He's a widely acclaimed actor, so, you know, critics, audiences, this board. I wasn't using overrated as a critique of the movies, simply as a comment on Cronenberg's status
>>
>>69116037
*acclaimed director
And
>above most of his contemporaries
In your eyes. You saying that is as valid as me saying he's no where near the level of many contemporary directors
>>
>>69116084
>In your eyes.
Yes anon. I literally stated that at the beginning of the sentence anon.
>>
>>69114562
This is fine. They have such different agendas that it's hard to really compare.
>>
Any of the ones with based Vigo.
>>
>>69112806
Is this really the only vote for The Dead Zone? It's fucking excellent. Relevant as shit this year too.

My list:

Videodrome
The Dead Zone
The Fly
Naked Lunch
Scanners
The Brood
Cosmopolis
Dead Ringers
Rabid
A History of Violence
Shivers
Existenz
Eastern Promises
Spider
A Dangerous Method
Fast Company

Not seen Maps to the Stars yet.
>>
>>69112335
if you don't want weird, don't watch Cronenberg
>>
>>69116199
Forgot M. Butterfly and Crash

Videodrome
The Dead Zone
The Fly
Naked Lunch
Scanners
The Brood
Cosmopolis
Dead Ringers
Rabid
A History of Violence
Shivers
Existenz
Eastern Promises
Spider
Crash
A Dangerous Method
M. Butterfly
Fast Company
>>
>>69110308
best one is probably Dead Ringers
early best is shivers, imho

also good:

The Fly
History of Violence
Eastern Promises
Rabid
Naked Lunch
>>
>>69115998
>John Landis
The murderer?
>>
The Fly>Dead Ringers>Eastern Promises>Naked Lunch>Videodrome>A History of Violence>The Dead Zone>The Brood>Spider>Stereo

Haven't seen the rest.
>>
>>69110663
>>69110690
Why would you assume someone on the internet knows what they are talking about and or isn't lying?

>>69110602
Source?
>>
Cronenberg is one of my favorite directors, and I even love a lot of his mid-tier stuff, particuarly Stereo, Shivers, and Naked Lunch. They're just a little underdeveloped compared to his upper tier stuff. Even his low-tier works have merit. If you liked Videodrome, I'd say the next steps are to check out The Fly and Crash
>>
>>69116361
Shit, my tiers didn't show up in that post.
UPPER TIER:
Videodrome
The Fly
Dead Ringers
The Fly
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises

MID TIER:
Stereo
Shivers
Naked Lunch
Existenz
Maps to the Stars

LOW TIER:
Crimes of the Future
Rabid
The Brood
Cosmopolis
Scanners
>>
>>69116285
Yeah
>>
>>69116348
My comment doesnt really rest on that assumption, just saying, many artists can't stand to watch or look at their work. There's a Woody Allen interview today where he says he's literally never seen any of his films and couldnt bear the thought of doing so. Directors often only see the flaws. So even if Cronenberg did say it, so what.
>>
>>69116576
True.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.