[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say one positive thing and one negative thing about The Sopranos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
Say one positive thing and one negative thing about The Sopranos
>>
Positive: It's the best drama ever made

Negative: Paulie is a literal reddit character
>>
THE TURD DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE FAGGOT'S ASS
>>
>>69106419
Positive: The feature length movie was a complete mindfuck but in a good way

Negative: The Rebuild reboot bullshit
>>
Positive: it was fucking great
Negative: it had a few plot lines going nowhere
>>
Positive: it's the best show ever

Negative: the first season isn't anywhere near as good as the rest
>>
>>69106419
Positive: Greatest tv drama of all time
Negative: Janice is a cunt
>>
>positive
Every episode is good, with just a couple of scenes throughout its 80~ hour run time that I don't like. Each character is interesting so it's never like "oh come on get back to Tony", because Carm and her friends are good, the minor bits with the FBI are interesting, my favorites are the guys Brendan, Matt and Sean.

>negative
It takes a season to get into what makes it good, more natural feeling conversations and stories. The first season is good in a different way, a movie/film way, but every season after it is better.
Also, I don't like the way they have single-episode characters that are supposed to be important. For example, Tracee the Ralph girlfriend could have more of an impact if she had been in 3 episodes.
>>
it was good

it was bad
>>
Good: it's the best television show ever made.
Bad: use of non-guns hurts the immersion.
>>
File: tyonye.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tyonye.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
Positive: Probably best drama series ever made
Negative: JANICE
>>
>>69106648
>>69106672
You said what I meant but in a lot fewer words
>>
>>69106689
>use of non-guns hurts the immersion.
What do you mean? Also I heard that the amount of deaths was unrealistic because the mob doesn't kill within that often like that. It was more violent than real life but people were saying there wasn't enough
>>
>positive
everything

>negative
sorry, i genuinely cant
>>
>>69106757
Well this show is about the downfall of this mob family because of tony's incompetence as a leader, so its natural that a mob family in free fall will be more violent than a stablised one.
>>
posities: Tracee and Gloria and the russian broad
negatives: Carmella, Meadow, Janice
>>
>>69106672
>Also, I don't like the way they have single-episode characters that are supposed to be important.

Best example of this was the guy who was made with Christopher and then hung himself in the sixth season after being basically a background character. Like, why should I care?
>>
There's too many positives but I'd say the top one is, it doesn't rely on the stupid cheap way of keeping you watching by putting a cliffhanger at the end of every episode. My favorite ending being the one for Christopher, where they're just arguing in the car, Tony dismantling Silvio's points and then it just ends with them driving. No music, no twist, it's just a cool ending.

Negative, they could have come up with some better excuses to keep Tony in therapy beyond moving from mother to meat for his panic attacks. I rarely thought about those after the first season. I like Tony and Melfi but they didn't actually have a reason to meet so often
>>
Positive: GOAT
Negative: Never finding out what happened to the "russian interior designer" that ran off into the woods on Pauly
>>
Positive: she was a whoah

Negative: she hit me
>>
>>69107122
A) She was a hoowurse
B) She was losing races
>>
>>69106672
A hit is a hit, Christopher and several of the Vito centered episodes are bad.
>>
Every scene transitions beautifully into the next.

A New Jersey family could never take on
New York like that.
>>
positive: you can't beat this show
negative: season 6 was too long
>>
File: 1447644648484.jpg (58 KB, 556x415) Image search: [Google]
1447644648484.jpg
58 KB, 556x415
>>69107332
>mahb ekspirt
>>
File: Johnnycakes and Vito.webm (3 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
Johnnycakes and Vito.webm
3 MB, 624x352
>>69107303
But the whole episode isn't bad, it just has some scenes I can see people not liking. Even the "bad" stuff is better than other series good stuff.
I do not like A Hit is a Hit when Adriana is on screen because she's so stupid
>>
File: Tony_Eats_Gabagool.jpg (18 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
Tony_Eats_Gabagool.jpg
18 KB, 236x314
>>69107056
>Never finding out what happened to the "russian interior designer"

Man, I finished the show half a year ago and you just reminded me that never got a conclusion.

I assume he died, looked like Paulie hit him pretty fucking good
>>
It's got the least sensational and "realistic" depiction of death in any media, that could only be accomplished through the 80 hours of following Tony before

The early social issue of the week episodes dated poorly. (A guy having sex with a teenager! Late 90s psycology and medication craze! Gambling addictions!). The s4 Columbus episode is the worst of this and even stranger for how late in the series it came
>>
>>69107056
>>69107415
according to the Chase man, he was found by some boyscouts and is fine
why he never returned wasn't part of the answer
>>
File: land of the free indeed.jpg (272 KB, 782x1083) Image search: [Google]
land of the free indeed.jpg
272 KB, 782x1083
>hating on Christopher
Sorry, Silvio.You were right.
>>
>>69106419
positive: the best tv series ever
negative: arguably lacking in gabagool and prosciutto
>>
>>69106869
Tony wasn't an incompetent leader. The Jersey crew as a whole was just toxic as fuck and it ended up pretty much consuming itself.
>>
>>69107381

>But the whole episode isn't bad, it just has some scenes I can see people not liking. Even the "bad" stuff is better than other series good stuff.

Agreed but when judging it purely against other Sopranos eps it's very noticeable. The worst Sopranos episode is better than the best Breaking Bad episode though.

>I do not like A Hit is a Hit when Adriana is on screen because she's so stupid
It was mostly Massive Genius that was absurd.

Christopher had the ridiculous native American story that the actors couldn't even pretend to stay interested in the whole episode. The end car scene about Gary Cooper is admittedly funny though.
>>
>>69107511
>prosciutto

I think you mean "prashoot" Anon.
>>
>>69107512
He killed all his highest earners personally and alienated a lot of his capos/soldiers by being a greedy prick.

I dont think you were ever supposed to believe tony was the man for the job.
>>
Gabagool.

Gabagool.
>>
File: f64c0a642090b8994fab[1].png (34 KB, 342x341) Image search: [Google]
f64c0a642090b8994fab[1].png
34 KB, 342x341
THERE IS A GREAT PODCAST CALLED NO FUCKIN ZITI AND YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO IT

https://soundcloud.com/nfzpodcast/
>>
>go to Publix
>want some of that capicola ham
>am self-aware enough to know not to try to pronounce it 'gabagool'
>walk up and this guy behind the counter immediately greets me and asks if he can help
>taken aback and don't know what's going on
>point to the capicola in the case and ask for a half pound of that
>he goes ahead and asks me "how thick I'd like it"
>wat
>uhh, regular?
>he slices off a piece and gives it to me
>asks if that's a 'good thickness'
>eyeball it and say yes
>trying to hand it back but he tells me no, just to eat it
>he confirms i want a half pound and finishes up and bags it
>tells me to have a great day
>have to remind him I got an extra slice and to add it to the price
>he laughs and says it's on the house

So did he want to fuck me or what? Should I be afraid? I didn't catch his nametag. Maybe I should call next time before I go and make sure he isn't working. I'm not gay or anything. I feel like Vito when around Johnnycakes
>>
Positive - Consistency. There really weren't any bad episodes, and no time throughout the entire series where I was ever bored or not interested. The Vito plotline would probably be boring a second time through, but on the first watch I can honestly say I enjoyed pretty much every moment of the Sopranos and for how long the series is that's hugely impressive to stay interesting for so long.

Negative - For me personally, there were no peaks. I'll probably be called a pleb for wanting tweeeeests, but that's not really what I'm saying. It's more just that everything that happens is predictable - and that's fine - but it leads to no specific episodes standing out for me. Whereas another show I really like in Mad Man, there's episodes there that really stood out to me and made me emotional and on my rewatch I was really looking forward to them. Basically there's no "Suitcase" of the Sopranos for me, which isn't inherently a flaw but for me personally makes me less inclined to rewatch
>>
>>69107592
The bosses were always greedy. That's how the whole thing works. I'll admit that killing Ralphie was a bad move, but he wanted to spare Vito. Gigi dying on the can was not his doing. He couldn't have known that inheritance man was going to hang himself.

Chrissy was a druggie shit and was going to fuck shit up sooner or later. Paulie and Silvio were rock solid.
>>
File: 1419234835634.png (1 MB, 956x1349) Image search: [Google]
1419234835634.png
1 MB, 956x1349
>>69107592
>Big Pussy
rat
>Furio
left by himself
>Richie
Janice's fault
>Ralphie
stepped out of line too many times
>Chrissy
same thing, he knew better and was given too many chances.

It just sucked he didn't have anybody good enough to replace them
>>
>>69107745
What the fuck are you on about? The show had a peak and it's called the Finnerty Saga. Tony's coma dream.

That shit makes me cry every time and is the emotional payoff to all of Tony's psychology. It's the ending before the ending.
>>
> Positive: Meadow's high test roommate

> Negative: ?
>>
File: hesh.jpg (53 KB, 270x360) Image search: [Google]
hesh.jpg
53 KB, 270x360
Positive: It's easily the best show ever made and my favorite of all time

Negative: I wish they had made Part 2 of Season 6 into a full-fledged season with the war between New Jersey and New York expanded upon.
Also more time for Hesh, he was a lot of fun in season 1.
>>
I don't think Tony was a bad leader.

His crew was a ticking time bomb and he didn't have the infrastructure for replacement like New York had.

Once a capo falls or leaves, there wasn't really anyone to step up. This is why New York called the Soprano family a glorified crew. Lupertazzi new this.
>>
>>69106926
I guess it was a good depiction there are worlds other than our own happening. We didn't know the guy that well but all of a sudden it's brought to light that he has dreams with his wife that he yearns to fulfill, he's deeply depressed over his sons heroin addiction which lead to incentive to want to quit the mafia. Maybe a reminder, if only small and perhaps insignificant, that there are universes happening all around us that we aren't even aware of but that doesn't make them any less important
>>
>>69106419
Pro: all the mob stuff is great
Con: Tony's kids are super annoying
>>
File: image_2.png (645 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
image_2.png
645 KB, 830x1262
>>69106474
Watch it crissy
>>
>pro
Family life. I wanna see The Sopranos, Tony juggling his family life while he's busy doing gay stuff like ordering imported provolone
>con
Mob shit. Oh gee I'm tuff I wear a wife beater and wear gold jewelry and have no capacity for inconvenience. Somebody makes a stutter step? I glock them full of lead
>>
>>69107923
I think the is the point exactly. Also the reason why Chrissy wasn't the only one getting made at the event in season 3. There are stories like his happening all around, but we can't see all of it. It's stuff like this that in my opinion make's this show feel more real than any other television show. Even the world in Six Feet Under felt very small compared to The Sopranos. Breaking Bad feels like another dimension entirely. It feels like there are only around fucking six people on earth in that show.

Sopranos was a world in itself.
>>
>>69106954
>it doesn't rely on the stupid cheap way of keeping you watching by putting a cliffhanger at the end of every episode.
I never realized that before, every episode really does have a great ending.
>>
>>69107961
>>69108004
which of these anons is right?
>>
>>69107961
Meadow and AJ feel like real people. Yes, they are annoying, but it's very realistic.
>>
Pro: Everything except that arc with Vito's edgelord son
Con: That arc with Vito's edgelord son
>>
>>69108176
I dont want to see a show with annoying teenagers. Its not interesting
>>
>>69106419
Positive: everything
Negative: the ending
>>
Positive: GOAT tv series
Negative: made me fat and drunk from all the food and wine I had to match up with the actors
>>
>>69108218
But that was funny

>You look like a Puerto Rican whore
>>
File: aj_scubadiving.jpg (21 KB, 231x211) Image search: [Google]
aj_scubadiving.jpg
21 KB, 231x211
The biggest con: AJ didn't succeed in killing himself.
>>
>>69108234
They are part of Tony's life. They have to be there.
>>
>>69108287
The show could not have ended any other way.
>>
>>69108234
Mate, you take a cog from a machine this complex, the whole thing falls apart. Embrace what was there, it all worked on a subtextual level, in ways we can't consciously understand
>>
>>69108318
This. fucked up his own suicide just like everything else in his life.
>>
>>69108371
>defending lazy writing
anon pls
it's wasn't 2deep4u, they just didn't know how to end it so they did that shit.
>>
>>69108385
It was quite fitting actually.

>>69108382
Basically this. Remove his children from the show and there is a fucking vacuum. Meadow and AJ are so important for the drama.
>>
Why did Tony kill Christopher?
>>
File: pussy being a pussy.png (234 KB, 454x383) Image search: [Google]
pussy being a pussy.png
234 KB, 454x383
They should have waited until season 3 to kill Pussy and Uncle Junior deserved more screentime after season 1.
>>
Positive: Tony asked Carmela to please shut the door

Negative: Carmela didn't shut the door
>>
Pros: everything
Cons: I'd have to really think but right now nothing comes to mind
>>
>>69108424
I'm not saying that it's 2deep4u. It's pretty simple.

Life goes on like always. Or not. We don't get to see any more. That's it. It's over. No more Sopranos. Tony dies, Tony lives. Doesn't matter in the slightest. We enter this show with Tony in a moment and we leave in a moment.
>>
the beginning started when Tony came to terms with actually going to therapy
the ending was when Tony came to terms with never going again
we get to see his slice of life where he's open to talking about that shit

>am i really doing this?
>oh yeah naked lady statue, you fill my pants with courage

>tonight i'm gonna ask carm to make this steak recipe i got from melfi
>oh wait that bitch took it back, fuck her
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>
>>69108512
I love Junior, he should have had more time with some guys his own age. It could have waited until he was out of house arrest, but he had a group of guys in the pilot. I want to hear more dirty jokes.
>>
>>69108471
Tony knew that Chris was back on drugs. Tony couldn't control him. He couldn't count on him. Chris could just as easily have killed his wife and child in that wreck.

Tony sees this as his opportunity rid the world of him. It's grim.
>>
Positive: Show was very fun.
Negative: First season not as good. Anthony Jr felt cartooney. Furio is great but his arc was bad. Vito was boring. Didn't like the fact that the show was saturated with Tony's family and we got almost none of Sil's and Pauli's
>>
File: 3727153.gif (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
3727153.gif
9 KB, 250x250
>>69108424
>>
>>69106419
Great drama but really could've used more of tony's thick daughter dancing around in panties.
>>
>>69108590
I always found it pretty funny how unnecessary this scene was considering she died off-screen.

>>69108593
Johnny-Boy and Junior prequel series when?
>>
>>69108606
Where's my arc Paulie?

No arcs bro. Not even Tony had an arc.
>>
File: 1460346134320.jpg (53 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1460346134320.jpg
53 KB, 403x403
Why is everyone saying Janice? Atleast shes entertaining.

Honestly the parts I hate the most are fucking Meadow parts, all she ever does is cry and whine its so fucking annoying. Her fiance was the only reason Meadow parts were even watchable.
>>
>>69108636
>>
>>69108685
>le cuck meme
>>
Tony B was a very underrated character. He should have been killed off at Season 6A or 6B
>>
>>69108644
Subversion. People knew when the show was airing that the actress had died between seasons. So everyone assumed that she was going to be dead from the first episode. That's why in Mr Ruggerio's Neighborhood nothing really happens. It was filler to buy time for rewrites.

Then they made that CGI scene to make audiences think that MAYBE she hadn't died. And then she does.
>>
>>69108687
MORE
>>
>>69106419
Good thing: it's perfect
Bad thing: it had to end
>>
>>69108750
Anyone else find it creepy how Tony casually wipes his nose after shooting his fucking cousin in the fucking face? It's like it was nothing. Did Tony's annoyance with the problems Blundetto caused overwrite his love for him?
>>
>>69106419
Positive: it's pretty well written
Negative: it's boring as shit
>>
File: Jamie-Lynn-Sigler1.jpg (111 KB, 782x1054) Image search: [Google]
Jamie-Lynn-Sigler1.jpg
111 KB, 782x1054
>>69108782
>>
>>69108471
Too many chances after too many fuckups, then he saw the broken window where his daughter's baby seat was.
I think maybe if Chrissy hadn't said "i can't go to the hospital, they'll see i've got marijuana in my veins" then he would have been fine. Tony saw it was another car that was in the wrong
>>
>>69108685
>season 2
>tony having a dream in the car on the way to check out the boat
>it's about meadow passing her driving test
>the guy was like a dork with a clipboard
>she fucked up parallel parking

>season 6 last episode
>meadow is having trouble parallel parking
bravo, vince
>>
>>69108750
Agreed, Buscemi was really underused and his character didn't get enough development especially since he had such a big impact.
>>
>>69108841
>>
>>69108649
Well, his deeper involvement with the show besides being a member of the mafia was bad. Carmela is really adorable tho
>>
>>69108687
Hngggg you just know it's a black baby too
>>
>>69108900
>>69108841
She's perfect, I want to live inside her belly.
>>
>>69108750
It's one of those things where the character got built up too quickly. I'd like more of the guys like Ralph where they last more than 13 episodes, but it's not feasible when Tony's got experience with guys like Feech
>>
>>69107512
Tony was the most toxic of them all
>>
File: 1452189803358.jpg (45 KB, 720x416) Image search: [Google]
1452189803358.jpg
45 KB, 720x416
>you will never watch your girlfriend get manhandled and reprimanded
>>
>>69108993
I think that is one of my biggest complaints. Characters that last only 1 season. Tony B, Richie, Aprile, the guy who died on the toilet, those two dumbfucks that shot chris, etc.
>>
>>69109075
Man I like those Chrissy underlings who hang out in their underwear and hide their bong while listening to rap. But it comes with writing just a season at a time, they want some things that are per-episode like Tony's rash keeping him from the Bing/Pork Store, slightly bigger things like the David Scatino's bust-out that lasts a few episodes, and then entire season stories like Pussy being a rat. Ralph got lucky he lasted so long
>>
>>69107303
The rapper plot line is whatever, but the Tony plot is one of my favorites of the whole show. Tony's "Jimmy Smash" story and him trying to fit in is some amazing shit.
>>
>The second best drama show of all time.

>It's still a child of it's time in many ways. Lots of thing/person of the week episodes where you definitely don't know that the guy dies in the end, things that get brought up for one episode and then forgotten forever like Tony's gambling or Meadow playing football, not having a plan where things go so the uncle who everyone loves but who has never been mentioned pops up at the beginning of the season (and he definitely isn't going to die soon). These things really stick out in an otherwise so consistently good show.
>>
>>69109403
Second best?
>>
Positive: It's a good tv show

Negative: the strippers in the strip club can't dance for shit
>>
>>69109429
There was only one good pair of tits in the show
>>
>>69109403
But all of those things are much like real life. Things fizzle out with no resolution. People stop going to sports. People pop up in life and then disappear. Tony's gambling problem is never fixed.

If you say the Wire is better, you are fuck. Deadwood was good, but it's length hinders it very much. Six Feet Under is very limited in scope and feels claustrophobic.
>>
>>69109427
>>69109501
The Wire is better and writing can be bad even if it parallels real life.
>>
>>69109585
>The Wire is better
The wire is awful.
>>
>>69109585
>better writing
I don't care about the nigger side or the "a police" side. It's just not interesting. Separating the two and doing both half assed doesn't work, they need to focus on one
and not the nignogs, I can't understand what they're saying. I need subtitles.
>>
>>69109585
The Wire is so obvious and overt in its themes that it's just cringeworthy at points.

The billboard above Stringer Bell after his death is just fucking cheesy.
>>
>>69107994
ehehe
>>
When did it become commonplace on /tv/ to shit on The Wire? I've been seeing more and more hate for it over the years
>>
File: 1456618195112.jpg (22 KB, 475x350) Image search: [Google]
1456618195112.jpg
22 KB, 475x350
>>69107678
>living in niglanta
>>
>>69109814
Florida
>>
>>69109765
The social commentary is too overt.
>>
>>69109765
I guess people realized that you don't have to praise something just because it involves racial issues.

If you think the writing is poor, you can have that opinion and it doesn't mean you're a racist.
>>
>>69109843
I thought pubicx was an Atlanta thing, carry on with your autism
>>
>>69106757
A "non-gun" is a prop used in filming that is a replica of a real gun. It doesn't function, the slide doesn't go into battery, you can't insert or remove a magazine, etc. They've mostly fallen out of favor due to their unbelievable nature. The majority of movies/shows use real functioning firearms loaded with blanks. The Sopranos is notorious for using non-guns. One scene that comes to mind is in "Army of One" when Vito kills Jackie Jr. Rewatch it and pay attention to when he actually fires the pistol (in this case a non-gun modeled to resemble a Glock): the slide doesn't move, no casing is ejected, there's no recoil, etc.
>>
>>69109429
The one in the red one-piece when Jackie Sr. died was top tier milf material
>>
>>69109765
It's just /pol/ who have been shitting every board.

>b-but muh nignogs
>>
>>69109956
Sopranos showed them correctly. Hired, expendable thugs
>>
>>69109990
And fucking your daughter.
>>
>>69109956
I think its because of the entire blacked thing that have infested /tv/, these idiots can't look at black people without thinking about big black cocks.
>>
File: 8169706.jpg (98 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
8169706.jpg
98 KB, 480x480
>>69106594
>>
No one bringing up the ending as a huge con?

Open ended endings are always bullshit. Hurr durr, open to viewer interpretation. It's sheer laziness and an easy copout to avoid putting a a close on something.
>>
>>69110123
all Chase wanted to do was make you feel bad, like it was torn away
>>
>>69110053
Is he still talking about the sopranos?
>>
>>69110123
Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling.
>>
>>69106419

Positive: Tony is a complex amoral person who can ruin his entire organization or save it

Negative: AJ is such a faggot
>>
>>69106419

Positive: It doesn't really rely on too many hooks to keep the viewer coming back for more, which was kind of refreshing.
Negative: The psycologly of the series is pretty surface level at best and nothing all that impressive, still pretty interesting, but anyone could figure it out by picking up some basic Jung.
>>
>>69110123
But it wasn't open.
>>
Positive: It broke tons of new ground for TV drama

Negative: Every season has an obvious antagonist for Tony and most of them feel contrived and predictable
>>
>>69110123
I hated the ending the first two times I saw the show. Now I think it's perfect.
>>
>>69110123
Tony is dead

The ending is very clear
>>
/tv/ gets triggered by AJ because they've never seen a character that reminds him so much of themselves.

they watch tv to get away from their real life, and then this faggot loser shows up who is way too realistic.
>>
>>69110298

Phil Leotardo was a great villain to Tony
>>
>>69109585
>The Wire
Hello r/SandersForPresident
>>
>>69110382
That guy and Ralph were great but the guy in the second season and the cousin that were pulled out of thin air and anticlimactically killed in the season finales were lame
>>
>>69110325
>>69110289

Show him get shot. Then end it.

Just as abrupt without the stupidity. Same shock value. Even more outrage, if anything.
>>
>pro
god tier show, everything have been said

>con
all the other show look like shit or are less interesting for me after i watch it, also the gay shit with vito and the biker was way too long.
>>
>>69110588
Him getting shot would have been fucking awful.
>>
>>69110588
The reason they did what they did is because they wanted to show the audience what death was like.

Nothing happens when you die. You don't hear it coming. The lead up where he talks with Bobby about most people not even hearing the bullet that kills them alludes to this ending.
>>
The Sopranos is the best show ever written
and it just so happens that my favorite thing is mafia/mob stories. I read books, my favorite movie is Goodfellas, I check out my local mafia stories (Trafficante family) and it's just what I'm into. So it's great that my thing is mafia and not drugs (breaking bad / the wire) or zombies (whatever the fuck zombie show) or fantasy (game of thrones)
I'm glad some guy with standards thought the mob was interesting too, and that it lent itself to more subtlety rather than constant coolness.
>>
>>69110588
But that defeats the entire purpose. The scene is about the abrupt nothingness that comes after death, silence and darkness and nothing else.
>>
Positive: Characters, story, writing all being top notch
Negative: some of the plot lines are unsatisfying (like the terrorist plotline, although its a pretty good depiction of post 9/11 paranoia, and goes nowhere on purpose, its pretty unsatisfying in general) and a good couple of characters are just literal cardboard stereotypes with no actual character(silvio and paulie to some degree)
>>
>>69106419
>It's the greatest drama ever made and I don't think a show will ever get as good as The Sopranos

>Meadow has an ugly body
>>
>>69106419
positive: I like a lot of the side characters

negative: it's an overrated peice of shit show
>>
>>69111627
>too many people like it so I hate it
>>
>>69106419
Positive: The ending is perfect on every single level. The cinematography did an excellent job of making a mundane scene tense as fuck, and gave enough hints for the audience to draw their own conclusions. Patsy and New York mutually agreed to end Tony, IMO.
Negative: On occasion, the symbolism was heavy-handed, high school English class tier nonsense.
>>
>>69111996
>gave enough hints for the audience to draw their own conclusions
The fact that you've said that clearly shows that you didn't get it
>enough hints
You're obviously a moron who thinks the whole scene is meant to imply that Tony dies but it's not. Let me quote David Chase's publicist for you, for the billionth fucking time:
>As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, "Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point." To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of The Sopranos raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6076621/david-chase-responds-to-our-sopranos-piece

Basically the point of the ending is that David Chase didn't want to tie it all up neatly in a bow for you. He wanted there to be no "conclusion" because in life, there are no conclusions, and he always wanted The Sopranos to reflect real life. That's why it ends the way it does. It leaves it completely open, and uncertain, what happens to Tony and his family.

Maybe once you've passed middle school you'll understand it.
>>
>>69112209
He admired ambiguity in foreign films and sought out to make you feel the feelings he liked feeling. One of those ones was loss, that you can't go back, it's all in the past. Reminiscing in the last season about what was, "remember when" probably comes into play
but I think it's about how we're supposed to feel the loss of this guy, this story we're so used to having. It's like losing an interesting family member
>>
>>69112209
lol

Look at this faggot. Look at this faggot and laugh. Jesus Christ what a literal fucking idiot.
>>
>>69112299
Nice comeback
>>
>>69112346
My first post to you, retard.
>>
Everyone is saying season one is the worst.

I think it's the best season. It's so fucking creative, and the struggle between Tony and Junior is amazing. Also Michael Palmice. And the music. And YOUNG TONY.
>>
>>69106419
It's well written

It's about fucking dirty italian fag homos
>>
>>69112299
Guess it'll be a few more years then. Go back and watch it once you've gone through puberty.
>>
>>69106419

Positive: it's good

Negative: snakes procreating asexually
>>
>>69112501
>asexually
spontaneously
>>
>>69112467
>too stupid to get shit that's literally spelled out
>resorts to "b-but you're just young"

What a surprise. Probably older than you actually.
>>
>>69108808
>love
It was all guilt bro.
>>
>>69112614
I'll tell you what's spelled out
>As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, "Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point."
>To continue to search for this answer is fruitless.
>The final scene of The Sopranos raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.
That's what's spelled out
If you're too dumb to READ then God fucking help you
>>
File: 973987.jpg (132 KB, 1024x736) Image search: [Google]
973987.jpg
132 KB, 1024x736
>>69112701
>>
>>69112765
Wow, what a great comeback. I guess there's nothing else you can say though because the passage I quoted, and any other quote from David Chase on this subject, settles the matter definitively.
>>
>>69112418

Yeah the first season is my favourite too. I'm just rewatching it and I'm on the second season now, and I'm thinking "why the FUCK did they have to introduce Janice". Season 1 is objectively the GOAT
>>
>>69109765
sopranos is a show about mainly white people
the wire is a show about mainly black people

people like shows that they can to relate to more, its the same reason why black people usually say they like the wire better than the sopranos
>>
Did Janice stared in porn?
In one of first episodes of S2 she told Tony that she's making some movie art project, then she drove off in a black van with black, muscular bull.
>>
>>69113033

Can you please shut the fuck up?

>>>/pol/

I don't want to be infected by the mind of a reclusive, friendless, virgin manchild
>>
>>69113033
Fuck off and die, cancer.
>>
>>69106419
Positive: First season is some of the best TV in history

Negative: Everything after the first season.
>>
I usually can't be arsed with tv shoes but this thread has convinced me to download and try it. Thanks.
>>
Pros - GOAT show

Cons - Tony never had the makings of a varsity athlete.
>>
>>69113408
I'm a really hard judge on dramatic shows but The Sopranos really is all its cracked up to be
>>
The only con is that based Uncle Junior got dementia
>>
>>69113456

SON OF A BITCH!
>>
>Positive
Best show ever.

>Negative
>implying
>>
>>69110856
>>69110998
fucking these I don't think it left anything to imagination, it was very clearly the end of the line for Tony and the creator wanted to show the great and powerful Tony just stops existing just like anyone else in the end

the biggest con of the series was the blatant coca-cola advertising all the time
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 200x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 200x289
>>69106419
The best
>>
>>69106419
positive : best show
negative : not enough qt waifus
>>
positive: best show ever

negative: the therapy sessions towards the last couple of seasons became pointless and just a method to give out exposition dialog
>>
>>69113254
>>69113309
Lol the funny thing is, she probably was. You stupid fucking liberals
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 475x267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 475x267
>>69106419
Positive: Everything

Negative: they should of kept Richie Aprile alive, I wondered what it would be like if Richie "Ten Fucking Years" Aprile met Phil "Twenty Years In The Can" Leotardo
>>
Positive: Meadow is hot
Negative: She never gets naked
>>
File: 3k9.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
3k9.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
Irina is best gabagoofu
>>
>>69117098
stupid russian slut
i couldn't stand her fucking retarded accent and she destroyed tony's marriage
>>
File: M0LT154NT1 THR34D.jpg (14 KB, 306x468) Image search: [Google]
M0LT154NT1 THR34D.jpg
14 KB, 306x468
Positive: Greatest television series of all time

Negative: Where Is Moltisanti Thread
>>
File: 1449167512328.jpg (65 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1449167512328.jpg
65 KB, 480x640
>>69106419
Positive: One of the best shows ever made

Negative: Bobby got killed. That was some serious bullshit. He was just some model trains too.
>>
>>69110123
Appart from all meaning you can find to the ending, we all lived surrogate lives as tony. We were tony and we wanted him to succeed as a thug and as horrible person. If he had died on screen, we would say he had it coming even though we enjoyed his crimes. If he survived, well... he deserved to die in a way.
Ending with that cut to black was, above all things, a sing of good taste.
>>
>>69108943

No, the father is Cutter Dykstra. Some minor league baseball player.
>>
>>69110588
But there will always be doubt. If he survived, he will never feel safe again.
>>
>>69116998
almost thought they were going to do a Tony wants to fuck his own daughter angle with this scene
>>
File: oksana lada.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
oksana lada.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>69117178
oh boo hoo their marriage was built on secrets anyway it was only a matter of time before some trouble.
>>
File: svetlana.jpg (110 KB, 885x500) Image search: [Google]
svetlana.jpg
110 KB, 885x500
>>69117098
>not posting best grill
>>
I watched it at a young age and it set me down the path of the patrician. I don't like what they did with Furio.
>>
File: Q240ld3.gif (576 KB, 599x328) Image search: [Google]
Q240ld3.gif
576 KB, 599x328
Positive: It's the greatest television series of all time, and an unbeatable achievement in the medium. Only Mad Men has come close.

Negative: I will never see a new episode again. Also season 6B occurred during such a great time in my life, and life generally sucks now, so I get semi-depressed when I think about those episodes. I still vividly remember watching Soprano Home Movies and the finale and how great things were at that time.
>>
File: tony sopranos ass.jpg (43 KB, 494x282) Image search: [Google]
tony sopranos ass.jpg
43 KB, 494x282
>>69117908
>>
>>69117908

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbWCE38tlY

>tfw tony is so petty that he has to drag bobby down to his level

>thismagicmoment.mp3
>>
File: Christopher_Moltisanti.jpg (40 KB, 212x325) Image search: [Google]
Christopher_Moltisanti.jpg
40 KB, 212x325
What are your favorite sopranos quotes?

>If I were a carpenterrrr....and you were a douchebaaaag.
>>
>>69106620
>Negative: it had a few plot lines going nowhere
not a negative. that's like real life. every fucking plot line doesn't have to lead somewhere. shit seems contrived if it does a la breaking pleb.
>>
File: whitecaps.jpg (42 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
whitecaps.jpg
42 KB, 658x370
>>69106419
I've never seen better acting in my life than Edie Falco in the Whitecaps episode. Tony was great, too. I've never seen better on screen acting chemistry than the pair of these two. It's mesmerising. Whitecaps is probably my favourite episode in the entire show for this reason alone.
>>
>>69108644
the only reason she died off screen was cause she died in real life in the middle of filming that season. I believe she was suppose to have her way more involved for obvious reasons, but had to continue along without her.

Funny though how they didnt miss a beat in going down, when they had to continue without her. Shame boardwalk empire couldnt keep up in quality after having to kill off the commodore due to the actors health issues.
>>
>>69109724

This exactly. I hate how people act like The Wire is some untouchable God. It's still a fantastic show, among the best ever even, but the writing is not as good as The Sopranos. It's not as good as Mad Men's either. It just lacks the heart and soul in a way I can't exactly put my finger on.

The symbolism and its message are beaten over your head at times, and the show rarely makes its characters truly feel human. It might be just me, but I feel like I almost never empathized with many of the characters that the show wanted me to. The closest I came was in season 4 to the kids, particularly Dukie. The show feels almost mechanical in its approach, and doesn't capture humanity nearly as well as the other two shows I mentioned. The sublety and the attention paid to even the smallest details in those shows is untouched.

It's still in the top percentile of greatest shows ever, but it feels more like a documentary than television. Maybe that's the point. Also every time someone is supposed to be a dead body on The Wire, you can clearly see them breathing. What was up with that?
>>
>>69118492

The pilot of Mad Men hits you over the head as much as the entire series of The Wire. It's almost like a different show than the rest of the series. But yeah, I agree.
>>
>>69118492
I hate The Wire.

It's a fucking meme show 2bh. People pretend to like it because everybody else does but the fact is it's fucking boring.

Goddamn I hate the starting theme, too, all versions of them. Only good thing about that show was McNulty.
>>
>>69110123
its sad when people think of this as the ending.

There are plenty of clue that point to tony dying at the end. I really dont feel like naming all 30 of them so ill just tell you the biggest one

The episode before the finale tony has a flashback to when him and bobby are talking about what they think death is like, and bobby says you probably wont even hear it when it happens....just like how it cuts to black when we see tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rC2FxjYUak

theres the link and start at 2:18

its not an open ending, chase just knew from the beginning how he wanted to end the series and had everything planned to a T. The finale is untouchable.
>>
>>69119021
2:15 **

or jsut watch the whole clip
>>
>>69108132
It's this guy >>69107961
I'm not sure how anyone could like Tony's shit kids.
>>
>>69109724

yo homie

dat scene where the niggas is playin chess. its like a metaphor for life in da drug game gnome sayin? shit's deep yo
>>
File: Sopranos_SHITBO.gif (2 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
Sopranos_SHITBO.gif
2 MB, 480x271
>>69106419
Negative: Carmella and Janice don't get kidnapped by Buffalo Bill type character and tortured to death and made to eat their own feces.

Positive: Tony was an ok guy deep down inside, even though he and his crew would hook you and your whole family on heroin and make you sell your ass for more.
>>
>>69119159
>Tony was an ok guy deep down inside
Did you even watch the show?
>>
The thing that makes The Wire such a genius show is that it shows how African-Americans aren't at fault for the drugs and murders in cities like Baltimore, it's the system that's corrupt, mang.
>>
>>69110588
I don't know about you but the last scene of the show I did not want to be seeing Tony lying on the floor dying or dead.

The ending as it was made it more about his story ending, and not so much about him just dying.
>>
Pros: chris died

Cons: bobby died :/
>>
>>69106594
u in the right thread bruh?
>>
>>69119159
>Tony was an ok guy deep down inside

What???

Why would you say that? Tony was a piece of shit.
>>
>>69114894
>>69114894
basically this, but i think your confusing it with mad men with the coca cola advertising everywhere
>>
>>69118724

True, but it's not trying to beat you over the head with symbolism or a message. It beats you over the head with its setting. The show would have been a horrible Fox-level show if it continued that way, but as an outlier episode in which the purpose was to introduce you to the world, I don't mind the pilot.
>>
>>69106419
>one negative thing

DON'T GET CUNTY
>>
>>69106869
the jersey family wasnt a real family and thus collapsed easily
>>
>>69119272
Bobby dying was the one that hit me the hardest.

At the very least it cemented the fact that Janice will always be miserable in life.
>>
>>69106558
>"My bottom line was impacted!"
>"I know Vito's bottom was impacted."

BASED PHIL
>>
>>69119082
Tony had the tard gene in his family. Janice and AJ suffered heavily from it, both mouth breathing heavy footed tards.
>>69118123
Phil Leotardo: [to Tony, from his window] That's right, cocksucker! Go back to New Jersey!

Lorraine Calluzzo: No! Please! I'll suck your cock! All your cocks!
Phil Leotardo: Suck our cocks?
>>
>>69119334

Not OP, but there were literally Coke products with logos pointed at the camera in every family dinner scene in The Sopranos. It was clear product placement. I'd rather have that than fake brands, though. It completely takes me out of shows when people are drinking "COLA".

And with Mad Men, if I recall correctly they didn't get paid for any of their products/brands in the show and they were all written into the script, plus they make sense in context considering it's a show centered around advertising.
>>
>>69119021
Even the camera angles at the end made his death obvious, especially meadow's car
>>
>>69119222
>>69119324

You couldn't see past the ok guy with he'd hook your whole family on heroin? Guys, it's called sarcasm or something. That guy was a fat fuckin sociopath psycho whatever.
>>
>>69106419
Positive: Perfectly cast. Every actor was a great choice for each character.

Negative: I love you, Johnny Cakes.
>>
>>69119493
yeah i was only kidding about mad men, its obvious that it would make sense for that show, especially for the fact that the coca cola commercial was the final thing we see..

but idk i honestly did not pay attention or notice the coke advertisement on sopranos. the only thing i think of advertisements and sopranos is when paulie was doing those stack or 2 commercials with trish stratus

i normally dont get bothered by product placement unless its like overbearingly obvious, especially when its tech stuff
>>
Good: Greatest television show ever made

Bad: Once you watch it, no place to go but down.
>>
>>69119882

>Once you watch it, no place to go but down.

This, especially while watching Breaking Bad during the peak of its popularity while people were saying it's the greatest show of all time, meanwhile I felt like a cynical asshole every time I told everyone it's not even remotely close.
>>
>>69119882
>>69120170

Same here. I know that shouldn't be how things are judged, but I struggle to watch things with that perspective now. Everything I watch is judged against The Sopranos now. Game of Thrones is an unwatchable mess to me.
>>
Positive: It's the most consistent dramatic television series of all time.

Negative: Season 1, while good for its time, isn't that good now. When people talk/think about the show, it's in widescreen
>>
Literal GOAT end of story

Like all great things must come to an end, plus a few unfortunate production-side quirks which led to some immediate sloppy writing followed by graceful and organic follow-up writing.
>>
>>69107415
>>69107439
>>69107056
what happen to Paulies car then?
>>
>>69120482
>Season 1, while good for its time, isn't that good now. When people talk/think about the show, it's in widescreen

What? Season 1 has been in widescreen forever. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure only the original broadcasts and the initial VHS/DVD releases were in 4:3.
>>
>>69120482
Should've read through the thread first.
Different pro: It balanced "high art" and enjoyable shenanigans brilliantly.

Different con: Can't watch show with my dad because of all the unnecessary strip club scenes.
>>
>>69120482

>When people talk/think about the show, it's in widescreen

wat
>>
For anybody else who's watched this show a million times and thinks nothing else can compare, you're right, but check out The Shield. It's not in the same league as The Sopranos because Noth is, but it's in the top 5 of TV drama.
>>
>>69120617
I had no idea
>>
>>69120752

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sopranos-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/5500/#Screenshots

It's like this on both box sets, and on HBO GO. I bet watching it like that would be an entirely new experience for you. I'm kind of jealous of the opportunity.
>>
Best performances in television history from both a male and female (Gandolfini and Falco)

No performances from any trans actors because the ignorant patriarchy didn't hire any.
>>
>>69120806
God, fuck Amazon Prime.
Is it legit widescreen or cropped garbage?
>>
>>69120867
This. Gandolfini is my favorite actor because of Sopranos, nothing else even comes close.
>>
Positive: It's great

Negative: Psychics being portrayed as legit
>>
>>69109068
>girlfriend
she was a who-ah
>>
File: sopranos.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
sopranos.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>69121173

It's widescreen for me on Amazon Prime, as well. Just took this screenshot. (From the S1 finale)
>>
>>69106419
Positive: Phil hiding in the closet
Negative: It makes you hungry
>>
>>69121496
every scene with phil was fucking fantastic

>"PLEASE DON'T KILL ME PHIL, I'LL SUCK YOUR COCK"
>"you'll suck my cock?"
>turns to the boyfriend
>"is she any good?"
>>
Positive: You can relate to people and women like many of the normies in this thread.

Negative: Boring overdone romanticized Italian mob family soap opera that appeals to ignorant plebs.
>>
>>69121587
that scene was awesome
i was actually expecting that character to be the obligatory STRONK FEMALE CRIMINAL WHO DOES BOY STUFF but she got fucked over just like any other mook
>>
>>69106419
It's the best show ever.
It ended.
>>
>>69107848
you got it anon. L i t e r a l l y the pinnacle of television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgi3z4M-Mo
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 470x872) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 470x872
>>69106419
Positive: the greatest tv series ever made

Negative: my severe weight gain from eating Zitti or Gabagool or Pizza while watching it
>>
File: Coming out of the closet.webm (921 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Coming out of the closet.webm
921 KB, 1280x720
>>69121496
>>
I think the casting for every character was pretty much spot-on, and one of my favorite parts is when Tony has to kill Tony B. The choice of music for that bit was perfect. Most of the negatives I can come up with are kind of by design, like Tony's mom being an unlikable cunt. I wish I'd watched it when it was actually airing instead of after.
biggest negative is no topless scenes for meadow
>>
>>69122845
th-thick
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.