[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With Hollywood's current hard-on for cashing in on already-established
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: Emperor Dissapointed.jpg (16 KB, 236x260) Image search: [Google]
Emperor Dissapointed.jpg
16 KB, 236x260
With Hollywood's current hard-on for cashing in on already-established IPs, what's the bet that there's a 40K movie in the works?
>>
>>69092866
wouldn't touch it
too problematic
>>
>>69092907
Elaborate?
>>
>>69092977
99.999% of the cast are men.
Most of said men are white.
Deals about endless warfare.
No romance.
The settings main protagonists (space Marines) are too difficult to portray without heavy cgi.
The alien races are impossible to portray without cgi.
The protagonists are fanatical, xenophobic and militant fascists.
The villains must be R rated or they would appear cartoonish.

All in all, it wouldn't sell. Not to mention the triggering it would cause.
>>
>>69092866

If they were smart they would do Eisenhorn, starring Hugo Weaving. But they ain't smart.
>>
too much of a niche market, doesn't have wide appeal
>>
>>69092866
Why do we need a shit version of Starship Troopers and Dune marketed towards 14 year olds?
>>
>>69093568
This

Sjw faggots and press would shit brick
Fucking degenerate century
>>
>>69093568
Thanks for the rundown m8.

I could argue that most of what you said could be avoided however (have the MC be a Sister of Battle, have the story revolve around something humanistic (e.g. restoring civil rule to a Chaos-dominated world, , focus on enemies that aren't too SFX heavy) but I agree that hollywood probably doesn't have the vision/balls to do something like that.
>>
>>69092866
Ready to see black-trans-sister of battle with his/her/it sisters fighting against white male soldiers imposing patriarchy as they knee before their God-Emperor and being racist by not letting Orcs invade Human colonies?

No?

Me neither.
>>
>>69093568
They would cast tons of niggers as space marines
>>
>>69092866

It won't work because basement dwelling neets don't have the money to go to the cinema.
>>
>>69093946
Have you seen how much even a basic 40K set costs m8?
>>
There will never, EVER be a fucking 40k movie

40k has got to be one of the most retarded, over the top and asinine brands out there, and can only appeal to most autistic of autists. A 40k movie would flop 6 times over with normal audiences
>>
Big budget blockbuster horror film!

The first of its kind.
>>
>>69093695
Is there a good version of Straship troopers + Dune?

No? Then it can't be scaled from [shit] to [good] if there isn't.
>>
>>69092866
>some assistant points out the Ultramarine movie during hypothetical meeting about commissioning a 40k script
>one brief, one powerpoint, one highlight clip later
>binned
>>
File: Jonah_Orion.jpg (7 KB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
Jonah_Orion.jpg
7 KB, 207x207
>>69093901
I wouldn't mind tbqhfåm, most of them wear helmets anyway. The reason you don't see much black people in 40k is because the skin colour is a bitch to paint.
>>
>>69093970

No because I don't live in my mother's basement an wank it to the power fantasy of le big gritty space Marines.
>>
File: 1461536755663.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1461536755663.png
11 KB, 429x410
>>69093568
Sad but true.
>>
>>69092866
0 because it's a shit franchise with no appeal.
>>
>>69093568
>99.999% of the cast are men.
>Most of said men are white.
>Deals about endless warfare.
>No romance.

saving private ryan worked out well
>>
>>69094018
>Lynchs final cut of Dune
>Starship Troopers with Casper Van Dean
>not good
Get the fuck outta here kid and take your shitty pewter figurines with you.
>>
>>69094337
>saving private ryan is comparable to some shitty toys
>>
>>69093568
also the concept of orcs and elves in space would not be palatable to normies.
>>
>>69093730
you're suggestions would be missing the point of the setting
why bother making it 40k at all
>>
File: image.jpg (682 KB, 1524x1524) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
682 KB, 1524x1524
Are any of the novels worth reading? I always thought the setting looked interesting but my only exposure to it comes from listening to pick related.
>>
>>69094543

Yes. There are a shit ton of fun reads from the BL:
>>
>>69094543
This is an 18+ website kid.

Grow up and get better taste.
>>
>>69092866
That bet would have long odds, because 99% of people have never heard of 40k, 0.9% have heard of it but don't care about it, and the remaining 0.1% know it but hate it. Literally no one would pay to see a 40k movie, because nobody likes it. If you *think* you like it, you're sadly mistaken.
>>
>>69094281
>no appeal
but it exists for decades
>>
>>69094337
SPR doesn't require buckets of CG and exposition.
>>69095774
And it's stayed consistant in that time...?
>>
>>69093568
>movie about inquisitor
>bad ass SoB bodyguard
>uncovering heresy in the many different cultures and worlds in the Imperium
>crew is the best he has found on different worlds
>decent budget + villains are mainly human heretics and orcs
>conflicting morals in protag
> R rated because it wouldn"t be 40k otherwise

but you"re right, it probably wouldn"t sell anyway
>>
>>69092866

I wonder how many pissed off Warhammer virgins there will be once it becomes mainstream enough for movies and other things, it'll be like when Capeshit first started becoming popular but worse.
>>
>>69094337

True, but SPR was based on true events and had little CGI.
>>
>>69094075
You're an idiot
>>
>>69096200
Not as many as you think.
Even as a childhood fan, I knew my toy soldier fiction was niche.
>>
>>69094513
>you're suggestions would be missing the point of the setting
40K isn't JUST about "big men with even bigger guns." Sure, that's arguably the most famous and most popular selling point, but the universe spans literally millions of worlds and cultures and the amount of variety in different stories that could be told is huge.

Obviously a 40K flick would WANT to explore themes of war, authority, faith, sacrifice, etc. but that doesn't necessarily means it HAS to. Hell, if you were creative enough you could find a way to use the 40K universe to tell a charming story about a boy and a girl from different cultures who find love against the backdrop of war.

However, that probably wouldn't sell (both to regular fans of 40K and the public at large,) and obviously if a movie WERE to be made it would try to go for the "War is Hell" theme, but I'm not going to go ahead and say a unique movie set in the franchise is impossible either.
>>
A series based on the Horus Heresy is probably what would work the best. It's well fleshed out with plenty of drama and human factor through the remembrancers, and it concerns interesting themes of truth, trust, loyalty and what it means to be human among other things.
>>
>>69096882
Don't be silly, it'd be 1000% Spess Muhreems, probably Ultras versus Orks on generic desert planet.
>>
>>69097005
Even fans disagree with how the in house publishers did HH.
Besides, its absurdly massive in scope. Too much of a gamble.

Fans of 40k really tend to overestimate how popular it is.
>>
>>69093568
watched The Usual Suspects the other day

felt weird seeing a movie with 99% old white people, no abercrombie teens shoehorned in

The jews would ruin a 40k movie so hard. Expect some guardians of the galaxy shit with a perfectly diverse cast.
>>
>>69092866

If it was you'd have heard about it because they want to test reactions and measure pre-hype before doing anything
>>
>>69096882
>However, that probably wouldn't sell (both to regular fans of 40K and the public at large,)

see that's the point
that phrase pretty much refute your whole 2nd paragraph

you can add in all the charming story bits you want but the only thing you'll get are people whining about how it distracts from the big men with big guns killing stuff

remember godzilla

>40K isn't JUST about "big men with even bigger guns.

you don't get it
those millions of worlds? they were made just so those big men can employ big guns in millions ways in millions of locations
>>
>>69097160
You wouldn't have to take everything in it, but there's a framework for a good chronological story in it if you choose some lines to follow. It's the best starting point for anything cinematic, though I still think it should be a series, not a film. Because it needs the time to establish characters and the universe.
>>
Well, there's this at least.
http://youtu.be/JjaYW5Cnr5k
>>
>>69097226
>HH
>On TV Budget
You want a cartoon?
>>
>tfw no big budget Horusy Heresy docudrama miniseries
>>
>>69092866
>what's the bet that there's a 40K movie in the works?
a bad bet
WH is not popular
>>
>>69092866
>In the works
Only fan animations.
>Holywood, Ever
Insanely unlikely
>>
>>69097291
This is all just theorycrafting bullshit anyway, it's not like any of this is realistic in the slightest. That said, a big TV drama style series would be the best medium for it if it were to be done. Maybe once they run out of ideas for fantasy book series.
>>
>>69097377
We at least agree it's unrealistic.
>>
File: 1444499606487.jpg (190 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
1444499606487.jpg
190 KB, 500x598
>>69097296
>you will never have a poignant Liam Neeson jumping in every to narrate 30 seconds between the acting scenes of this series, before he falls silent for three minutes during the final, sad encounter between the Emperor and Horus, letting the gravity of the situation sink in and leaving a strong message to us about our own fallibility and corruption
>>
>>69094281
>no appeal
For you, maybe.
>>
>>69097474
You seriously disagree that a series would be the best way to tell a story contained in the HH? Because if you do, then you're not just being a contrarian, you're being full on retarded. It's a big scope to cover, even if you limit the core cast, you're going to need time to tell things properly. It's pretty fucking indisputable.
>>
>all these autists thinking that warhammer has any kind of value or deep storytelling

You do realize it's all shitty parody designed to sell toys right?
>>
>>69097586
You said it's unrealistic theory crafting, I agrree.

In the context of shit that will never happen, of course HH would need to be a series of shows or movies.

>>69097618
>implying depth is required to make toy adverts into blockbusters.
Transformers.

The issue isn't depth or worth, it's lack of mass appeal.
>>
>>69094337
different times
>>
>>69093901
So Salamanders, then. I'm cool with that, at least it's not smurfs again.
>>
>>69093975
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>69093901

But the Salamanders are one of the few SM factions that live up to the ideal of what a Space Marine is supposed to be?
>>
>>69101038
No, that's the space wolves
>>
>>69092866
>what's the bet that there's a 40K movie in the works?

GW are too protective of their IP for that to happen.

No way in hell would they allow the kind of marketing and merchandising Hollywood would want in return for a 40K or even a Fantasy movie to be made.

GW would never allow "toys" of their vehicles to be made since that would interfere with sales of their own models.

They could also lose control of their IP through secondary marketing contracts etc.

Never gonna happen.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.