[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why this show became so popular? >sperglord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1.jpg (29 KB, 400x375) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
29 KB, 400x375
Can someone explain to me why this show became so popular?

>sperglord stoner host who lacks any sort of charisma or comedic timing
>sets so fake, they put Doug Walker to shame
>flimsy robot puppets made out of toys and Tupperware containers
>novel concept of building a show around talking back to a movie loses its steam pretty quick
>average episode lasts an excruciating 90 minutes
>90% of the humor consists of obscure pop culture references or "quirky" prop comedy
>comedic delivery is awkward and stilted
>and yet still popular enough to have had a feature length film and an autistic mouth-breathing cult following

So, what is it that I'm missing?
>>
>>69077987
A fishing pole
>>
>>69078158
Savage

/thread
>>
>>69077987
I actually agree. The guy was not funny at all! Never made me laugh
>>
>>69077987
Spot on.
>>
You fags are so young they don't remember what the 90s were like, do you?

It was charming, lighthearted, and homegrown in a time when those things were really rare.

Seriously, kill yourselves.
>>
>>69077987
No competition. Made you feel like you had friends when you were alone.
>>
File: 1437607940227.jpg (18 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1437607940227.jpg
18 KB, 280x280
>>69077987
you're sixteen years old and your comedy is fucking superior

kill yourself
>>
>>69078378
Age might not have much to do with it, honestly. In an internet climate where literally every YouTube content creator wants to be like either The Nostalgia Critic, PewDiePie, or AVGN, that whole "bootstraps, homegrown, DIY" aesthetic has become so played out to the point where it's now more-or-less an excuse to put as little thought into the overall look and feel of the project as possible. Sure, MST3K is a great show, despite what OP might say, but I bet you that if it aired now as a webseries, people wouldn't bat an eye towards it.
>>
>>69078528
>age might have nothing to do with it because Youtube exists now
are you retarded?
>>
>>69078634
Age =/= diluted market
>>
>>69078634
It's pretty well reasoned, his argument. There must still be some demand outside of fans of the show, though, because Rifftrax is doing great.
>>
>>69077987
You shut your Goddamn mouth. MST3K is an American treasure.
>>
>>69078767
Also OP... Mike Nelson is the superior host. Watch Final Sacrifice, Riding With Death, or Worms! to get the best results
>>
>>69078685
i am literally so flabbergasted by your retardation that I can't find a way to respond

wew, just wew, lads. you have to go back.
>>
>>69078803
Mike is better suited to the show. Joel's delivery is too muted, but I love his standup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FFV8xUz4bE
>>
>>69077987
>obscure pop culture references
Consider the idea that your pop culture knowledge is paltry at best, pleberooni.
>>
>>69078870
>just keep calling him retarded, that oughta teach him
Now, care to make an actual counter-argument?
>>
>>69078934

Most of their pop culture references weren't terribly obscure for the times but the Minnesota / Wisconsin culture riffs holy shit. I'm from Iowa and I didn't even know what they were talking about half the damn time. If you weren't from somewhere between Minneapolis and Green Bay a lot of that could just go right over your head.
>>
>>69077987
>what is it that I'm missing
A brain
>>
>>69077987
Friends
>>
>>69080175
Go packers!
>>
File: Joel Stinks.jpg (59 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Joel Stinks.jpg
59 KB, 320x240
>>
>>69079642
counter argument to what?
you literally made the same argument i did but with more words

>not an argument!
I mean it, back to r/the_donald
>>
>>69077987
This is a crazy concept you might not understand but let me try and explain it to you. There are other people with their own consciousness and ideas. These peoples own ideas create opinions. So for example you do not like mst3k. But let's say the anon above me or under me does. For their own reasons and ideals and what have you. It's just opinions. If you don't like something then just stay away from it and just enjoy life and don't go out of your way to try to sway or shit on someone else's favorite thing. I hope this helps OP. Have a great night or day.
WEW lad
>>
File: mst3k-reboot-new-cast.png (232 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
mst3k-reboot-new-cast.png
232 KB, 620x349
Maybe you'll like the reboot, OP
>>
It's a friend simulator. While we can go on the internet now and talk with real people, this was for people that couldn't, and now survives off of nostalgia
>>
>>69080175

Well thank God I lived right down the street from where they filmed this show when I was growing up.
>>
>>69078378
This.
MST3K was amazing, especially when internet wasn't a big thing for the average person. Mike>Joel for sure.
>>
>all these buttblasted redditors

wew lads. the show is shit, no need to get so bent out of shape because you personally enjoy shit tier humour aimed at edgy kids
>>
>>69080802
Jesus Christ, please, I was trying to forget this was going to be a thing
>>
Sorry. The popularity of MST3K was my fault.

Way back before anyone had even heard of this thing, I received a Nielsen Rating diary. I prominently featured MST3K in my monthly tv-watching records and submitted this to Nielsen. Suddenly everyone became convinced that MST3K was a secretly popular, incredibly cool show.
>>
>>69080802

>lets take the least witty person in history and have her be the fucking host of MST3K

Jesus fuck Joel, how did you fuck up this badly?
>>
>>69078875

They learned if they all came together they could leverage even more greasy cheetos-dusted neetbux out of kickstarter suckers.

Mike > Joel
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.