[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come bad comedians (George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Louis CK)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: hedberg.jpg (37 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
hedberg.jpg
37 KB, 640x360
How come bad comedians (George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Louis CK) always want to soap box and tell you their opinions while good comedians (Dave Chappelle, Mitch Hedberg, Norm Macdonald) don't?
>>
>have intense stage fright
>be a nationally televised comedian

he's so tragic
>>
File: george_carlin_06231.jpg (36 KB, 295x340) Image search: [Google]
george_carlin_06231.jpg
36 KB, 295x340
>>69058456
Your argument smacks of bias, but I understand the place you're coming from. I'm fond of absurd humor myself. Few toes stepped on, wide range of appeal, and arguably is the distilled essence of comedy itself (subversion of one's expectations). But now we're getting into analysis of humor, which itself is not intrinsically funny.

Though believe it or not, George Carlin also ran a lot of absurd humor back in the day.
>>
>>69058456
being direct/honest is a weakness - which bad comedians want to inspire because it creates dependence... being indirect takes tact and a reserved mindset.
>>
Only Geroge Carlin is annoying with his soapboxing. I don't think Louis CK really soapboxes.

Also, Bill Burr does soapboxing better than anyone, if you want to call it that.
>>
>>69058456
most of those bad comedians started off as genuinely funny. Some just get deusions of grandeur once they build up and audience as a social conscience gets stronger and stronger they feel the need to give people a sermon rather than make people laugh.

Louis CK is still funny though.
>>
>>69058456
>Mitch Hedberg
i'm so glad i got to see him before he kicked it.

>i used to do drugs
>i still do but i used to too
>>
>>69058456
Chappelle and Norm very readily use observational comedy on stage...

Someone posted in a thread last week about observational comedy and it was pretty insightful. He said observational comics don't tell jokes, they bring up shit that triggers memories or personal beliefs you have and gets you to laugh at those.

Mitch Hedberg, Steven Wright, and Emo Philips are the kings of actual jokes when it comes to modern comedy.
>>
>>69058456
makes no sense. you have never seen or heard these comedians.
>>
What about patrician comedians like Steven Wright, Emo Philips and pic related.
>>
>>69058456

can we stop pretending Norm Macdonald is funny?
>>
>>69059060
That roast was very funny just because of it being the exact opposite but it does get a little overrated. I've heard it called genius a lot which is too much credit. He's a pretty funny guy but that is far and away the best thing he's ever done so yeah, he's not much chop.
>>
File: stanhope.jpg (76 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
stanhope.jpg
76 KB, 1024x681
Stanhope is better than 95% of the comedians in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVPBbM7GkrQ
>>
Norm Macdonald is a bad comedian who doesn't soapbox.
Stewart Lee is a good comedian who soapboxes.
gr8b8m8r8it8/8
>>
>>69058456
Dave doesn't have opinions? I agree Hicks gets a bit preachy, but I like some of it. CK I find to be much funnier when he's just bullshitting with other comedians like on Opie and Anthony... his stand up is very hit or miss in my opinion. Carlin was a genius.

And what is your opinion of Bill Bur? Bill is one of my current favorites. He chooses bits that he thinks will upset his audience so that he can provoke them into heckling, and then drags them back to his side, or gets the audience to turn on it's self... there's genius in his ability to manipulate the audience.

Also, does anyone know of any female comedians who do high concept comedy? Other than the ones who do race, they all seem to do gross humor, fat humor, and gender politics and not much else. Getting really sick of the middle class entitled ultra pandering white girl hacks, Jews included. Hell, especially the Jews.
>>
>Dave Chappelle
>not on a soapbox
I love his acts but come on
>>
>>69059565
Bill Burr is pretty good but his old stuff trumps the shit out of his newest special.

Also, Joan Rivers is the queen of female comedy even if you take away the time period, let alone if you factor it in.
>>
>>69058883
Burr's screaming adds a level of absurdity to his soapboxing.

>Do you want our savey save fucky fuck card?
>>
>>69059304
>Stanhope
>good

He's the Bill Hicks of our time: people with barely-average IQ think he's insightful.
>>
File: 1443551477062.jpg (7 KB, 236x175) Image search: [Google]
1443551477062.jpg
7 KB, 236x175
>>69059450
>Norm Macdonald is a bad comedian
Yikes
>>
>>69059680

bill hicks was overrated but still quite funny. stanhope is just edgy.
>>
>>69058456
Because the bad ones are liberals
>>
>>69059304
Stanhope is the only guy that can get away with being edgy for the sake of being edgy. Nobody else does it well.
The rubber fuck-my-face bit has me in tears every time.
>>
File: 1458777932963.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1458777932963.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>69058456

Dave Chappelle literally got on a soapbox so quick that he sprang off that shit all the way back to Africa.
>>
how come george carlin is a bad comedian? Hes my favorite
>>
>>69059450
You are literally the shittiest tripfag that has ever existed.
>>
>>69058816
Yeah, Carlin only got bitter towards the end. But early on he was doing his "stuff" bit.
>>
I always loved Mitch's on-off bit on That 70s Show

>"Hey, I didn't lose a leg in Vietnam to be bringing burgers to teenagers."
>What are you talking about you didn't fight in 'Nam.
>"Like I said; I did not lose a leg in Vietnam!"
>>
>>69060437
id go with lamest, theres way shitter trips on this board alone
>>
>>69060706
>look at all the limes in the drink they brought me
>look at the limes, how they float...
>if I'm ever at sea and we capsize I will reach for a lime
>im saved by the buoyancy of citrus!

Mitch and Emo are fucking pro at improv.
>>
>>69058456
Americlaps are fucking retarded and they like when a comedian does the thinking for themselves
>>
>>69059809
He is funny, though he did have a few back jokes and at the end, he wasn't too funny.
>>
>>69059630
How about living female comedians, though? Have the feminist shills and entitled Jews overrun the industry so badly that we can't find a single living comedian who doesn't boil down to one bad gimmick or a host of stolen jokes?
>>
>>69059649
There's also the fact that he'll take some bullshit that crossed his mind that he doesn't even really believe and make a bit based on it. Like his bit about how he doesn't want a used dog. There are just too many stupid people who think you can't laugh at stuff you disagree with, and I love that he intentionally fucks with them at his shows.
>>
Also Ron White. He's fantastic. I like comedians who can just go up and talk about random shit and make it funny.

Though I agree the art of carefully crafted structured jokes seems pretty dead lately. I just don't agree with OP that it's the only kind of comedy that is good.
>>
George Carlin was pretty great until the late 90s onwards
>>
>>69058456
Carlin was fucking hilarious, what shit you smoking?
>>
>>69063242
>mikey Macintyre fan detected.
>>
>>69059060
>>69059450
You guys sound like real jerks, Normie is hilarious.

Watch his podcast, it's awesome.
>>
>>69058456
Mitch Hedberg once got angry at Louis CK for wearing a suit to the tonight show and went off on a tear about how he shouldn't wear one because it isn't him, even though Louis wanted to wear one. Mitch then went on to the Tonight Show and wore a suit
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.