[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The most creative and least formulaic of the Marvel movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: Ant-Man-7.jpg (146 KB, 1393x770) Image search: [Google]
Ant-Man-7.jpg
146 KB, 1393x770
>It didn't even have that much buzz on release

Shame. Just watched it and it was pretty good.
>>
File: 1442015742724.jpg (678 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
1442015742724.jpg
678 KB, 3192x2124
>>69050310
>>
>>69050310
is what it could have been if they had kept Edgar Wright

GOTG was way better
>>
>The most creative
yea
>least formulaic
nah senpai
>>
>>69050310
>>The most creative and least formulaic of the Marvel movies
But the villain was boring cookie cutter. It had some great scenes, sure, but it was still quite formulaic Marvel.
>>
>>69050310
Just wait until Dr Strange comes out.
>>
>>69050369
The parts that feel really Edgar Wright are a lot of fun. Falling briefcase fight. Thomas the Tank Engine fight. The silly character stuff with extended know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy connections.

I also think they sidestepped Hank Pym being only known for beating his wife pretty well too by making him the old, washed up mentor who's volatile and prone to violence with a daughter jaded by him being a horrible dad.
>>
>>69050310
it made good bank OP don't worry about it
>>
>>69050310
>no buzz

But it had Yellowjacket in it!
>>
>>69050442
Probably my two biggest problems while watching it were that it felt like the larger Marvel movie universe was crowding in and actively stifling better material and that the villain's two characteristics were "spurned student" and "literally crazy".
>>
File: WIZARDkino.jpg (102 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
WIZARDkino.jpg
102 KB, 720x1080
BEEP BEEP
WIZARD KINO COMING THROUGH
>>
>>69050310
>least formulaic of the Marvel movies
You're fucking kidding me, right? It's the most formulaic. It even apes Iron Man of most its story pacing.
>>
>>69050310
>formulaic of the Marvel movies
To me it felt about as formulaic as the Thor movies. They were both quite rushed movies that didn't focus on the story enough and ended up feeling like "half" a movie.

I dunno. It had great actors in it. Some great bits. But some things were shoe horned in. Some things were just disappointing. It ended up being jack of all trades master of none.

It wasn't a fully fledged big action superhero movie. It wasn't a heist movie. It wasn't this or that.

i really enjoyed it but I really wish it had been better.
>>
>>69050554
>It even apes Iron Man of most its story pacing.

Aside from there being a training montage I don't see the similarities.
>>
>>69050310
When they announced Paul Rudd I thought Disney had finally realised they needed a comedic actor to pull off all the jokes.

Sadly though they cast cumberbatch
>>
>>69050310
Are you joking? It's the most safe, paint-by-numbers of them all.
>>
>least formulaic
>rehash of the first Iron Man
ahahahaha
>>
>>69050337
>>69050369
>>69050554
>>69051297
Get some taste lil embryos
>>
File: edfeh4354fee.png (192 KB, 541x473) Image search: [Google]
edfeh4354fee.png
192 KB, 541x473
>>69050463
Wright didn´t do Peña´s gag

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ant-man/36199/how-would-edgar-wright-s-ant-man-have-been-different
>>
>>69051748
Peña's gag was genuinely funny
>>
>>69050463
All of those were creates by Peyton Reed.
>>
File: 1461523944237.jpg (537 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1461523944237.jpg
537 KB, 1000x1500
>In Wright's draft, Lang is an petty criminal who has been arrested multiple times and Pym is a mad scientist obsessed with his legacy. Both characters were much less sympathetic than their movie counterparts.

>Hope Van Dyne had a minor role.

>Scott's crew was formed by eight different criminals, who all had minor roles.

>Darren Cross would become the Nano-Warrior rather than the Yellowjacket.

>Maggie and Paxton had larger roles. Scott, Maggie and Paxton would be childhood friends, and Scott and Paxton would have always competed for her affections. Paxton would been a petty crook before becoming a policeman, and much less sympathetic towards Scott.

>The final battle between Ant-Man and Nano Warrior would've taken place at a high-speed car chase.

>Reed's revisions added Scott's sympathetic backstory; Pym's more sympathetic characterization; a larger role for Hope; Scott's crew being condensed into Luis, Dave and Kurt; the Quantum Realm; Ant-Man fighting the Falcon; and reduced roles for Maggie and Paxton, with Paxton being a more sympathetic character.
>>
ant-man was one of my favorites of the MU movies
>>
>>69050310

>It didn't even have that much buzz on release

That's actually a good thing. It's probably why it's much more tongue-in-cheek than other Marvel movies because they had more freedom making it.

It's still my favorite Marvel movie because it didn't pretend to be anything than it was.
>>
How did the Pym Particles mess with the bad guy's head if he didn't use the suit until the very end of the movie? Was it just being exposed to them? Why was he the only person who went crazy?
>>
>>69055526
We dodged a bullet
>>
File: 1462090015156.png (258 KB, 700x318) Image search: [Google]
1462090015156.png
258 KB, 700x318
>>69050310
Based Ant-Man
>>
>>69055526
>Love triangle story
>EIGHT minor characters instead of just three
>And no one is likeable

I would have had to see the finished product to know if I would have liked it, but that sounds like kind of a mess.
>>
File: 1461378399061.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1461378399061.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
>>69050602
>Training montage
>Suit that does incredible things
>Mentor is a bald man trying to steal the same tech
>Must save the woman that is important to him in the end
>Sacrifice fake out in the end
>>
why dont the bad guy cure world hunger or something
>>
ANTS
>>
>>69050310
How can you say it's the least formulaic when they canned Edgar Wright for not wanting to make a movie that was formulaic.
It has the most obvious case of shoehorning in a cameo too.
I still thought it was alright though.
>>
>>69056844
>Suit that does incredible things
This is a hilarious grasping at similarities.
>Mentor is a bald man trying to steal the same tech
The main character's mentor is not a bald man. The mentor is trying to steal the tech from the bald man because he's going to use it for bad. It's literally the opposite.
>Must save the woman that is important to him in the end
Pepper Potts was never actively targeted in an attempt to get to Tony. And the objective of the last fight wasn't to save Pepper, Pepper showed up at the end at Tony's request to help him beat the bad guy by overloading the main reactor in the sacrifice move.

So the only similarity you listed, other than the training montage, was that the main character is willing to sacrifice himself to beat the bad guy at the end. And none of those things have to do with pacing other than the training montage.
>>
File: ANTS.png (166 KB, 340x371) Image search: [Google]
ANTS.png
166 KB, 340x371
>>
>>69057022
>>69056936

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8
>>
>>69051748
>new writer claiming that almost all of it was him
I'll never not be mad that Wright left, and I'm skeptical that Marvel allowed them that much creative freedom. There is nothing that creative in any of the previous Marvel movies and there hasn't been since (hell, Civil War was the first MCU film to feature characters that didn't just use their powers to directly injure enemies)
>>
>>69050310
It was really formulaic though OP.
>>
I know they handwaved why Hope couldn't just use the suit but it was really awkwardly handled just to let Paul Rudd headline the movie instead. Especially when she had to train him in just about everything related to the heist.
>>
I actually kind of like capeshit for what it is, but Ant man was unforgivably boring. Stupid goonie criminal sidekicks with meme casting (fucking T-pain) and a god awful "I don't know what the fuck this is but it's vaguely European?" accent guy, and the Mexican dude that's in everything and isn't John Leguizamo. You had your hero-takes-off-his-shirt-in-front-of-the-guarded-but-vulnerable-stronk-womyn-and-he's-actually-ripped scene, a training montage, and a Snydley Whiplash villain.
This movie was the very definition of formulaic, the only surprise being they didn't try to shoe-horn an equally rushed and shallow video game tie in at the same time.
>>
>>69055526
Is this true? it sounds much worse.
>>
>>69057082
I hope they do another one with Wasp later.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.