[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who the fuck do these pretentious fuckwits think they are?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 22
File: criterion.jpg (15 KB, 560x332) Image search: [Google]
criterion.jpg
15 KB, 560x332
Who the fuck do these pretentious fuckwits think they are?
>>
>>69018422
good thread
>>
what
>>
>>69018422
They do some great releases, but for the most part Criterion doesn't interest me. Arrow Video on the other hand is GOAT
>>
>>69020077
Ah yes, le true patrician shows up on cue.

Criterion is excellent. It's only you dimwits that think it's some pretentious thing. Their releases look great, the extras and commentary are thoroughly insightful. It's like a film course in a box, that is, if you're into that sorta thing, like learning about your favorite films. I look forward to their new streaming service with TCM, Kino, and others.
>>
They release whatever they can get the rights to and thanks to some good acquisitions and marketing they're seen as the best.
>>
>>69020133
Oh, what's this good marketing you speak of?
>>
>>69018422
Why are plebs so easily intemidated by Criterion?
>>
>>69020387
Because flicks are just entertainment bro, like turn off your brain. Any serious presentation or consideration is pretentious and triggering.
>>
>>69020173
Pretty much everything they do that posits them as releasing the world's greatest films. From top to bottom it's all an effort to posit themselves as releasing the world's greatest films and turning themselves, and no one else, into a commodity for anyone who loves film. If you don't think something as simple as a spine number is a marketing ploy them you're not really seeing what they're doing.

And it's not a bad thing by any means. It's just the reason they're the only name in this space.
>>
>>69020472
>it's all an effort to posit themselves as releasing the world's greatest films and turning themselves, and no one else, into a commodity for anyone who loves film

This, they should help other companies to do the same
>>
>>69020472
>It's just the reason they're the only name in this space.
What are:
>Masters of Cinema
>Kino
>BFI
>Arrow
And more.
>>
>>69020851
I don't know because I don't see them posted on /tv/
>>
>>69020563
>This, they should help other companies to do the same

Why would they do this? They are a business after all. Why would they help other businesses do what they already have somewhat of a monopoly on?
>>
>>69020129
I don't understand, are you trying to insult me? I have nothing against Criterion, I merely stated that their library (at least 80% of which seems to be post-war jap/euro cinema) isn't all that appealing to me compared to other licensing companies.

Pleb or patrician, I couldn't care less
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>69020900
Masters of Cinema are equa tol, if not better than Criterion.
>>
>>69020851
>BFI
Fucking great, love what they put out. If I had the money I'd be all over their shit.
>>
They do great restoration work, even if you're not interested in their movies you have to be a real cunt to hate that their upgrading older movies to blu ray quality
>>
>>69020077
https://youtu.be/ty9T0ab8KQY

Editing promos like this would be my dream job
>>
I love criterion even tho im only into like 70% of their output
>>
>>69021029
do they do stateside releases?
>>
>>69020129
Filmstruck sounds fantastic
>>
>>69021235
No, but even importing them they're often cheaper than Criterion. With shipping, you can get many for around $18.
>>
File: 1431702954897.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1431702954897.png
220 KB, 500x372
>tfw still patiently waiting for the announcement of the McCabe and Mrs. Miller blu ray release
>>
Why the fuck is She Wore a Yellow Ribbon the only part of Ford's Cavalry trilogy not on blu ray? One of these services needs to get on that so I can pirate it because I'm a cheap cunt
>>
Criterion LITERALLY enjoys the work of Wes Anderson.
>>
>>69021741
lol i know this meme, thanks for this
>>
>>69021627
Spoke just too soon mate
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/she_wore_a_yellow_ribbon_blu-ray.htm
>>
>>69021874
Well then I have a request to make on ptp
>>
>>69021400
Are they NTSC compatible and region-free?
>>
>Providing a service for old films is pretentious
>>
>>69020472

Yeah pretty much. You can easy spot a tryhard if they think Criterion is some sort of film museum.
>>
>>69018422
They're very overpriced.
But that's classic liberal art.
I'd rather pirate it.
>>
>>69022828
I've literally never seen/heard this. The chip is on your shoulder my man.
>>
>>69018422

they do not have any anime.
>>
>>69023571

You've never heard of people overpraising Criterion like it's legitimately a collection of the best and most important films ever, like it's some sort of film museum? And you've never seen people get upset when a shitty movie gets added to criterion like it's spoiling le perfect movie collection?
>>
>absolutely beatiful scans of movies
>often loaded with special features
>nice boxart

What's wrong?
>>
>>69023761

they are not free.
>>
I've got hulu. It comes with the criterion collection. What movies would you suggest?
>>
>>69023803
They are if you pirate them
>>
>>69023874
Yojimbo
>>
>>69023874
Some favorites:

Renoir: The Rules of the Game, Grand Illusion

Demy: Lola, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Truffaut: The 400 Blows, Jules and Jim

Malle: Elevator to the Gallows, the Fire Within, The Lovers

Cocteau: Beauty and the Beast, The Orpheus Trilogy

Godard: Pierrot le Fou, Contempt

Whatever Kiarostami they have

8 1/2

Fassbinder's Beware a Holy Whore, World on a Wire, Ali Fears Eats the Soul

Throne of Blood

Bergman's Fanny and Alexander 4-Parter, Persona, Wild Strawberries

Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame D, Le Ronde

Carnival of Souls

Lady Snowblood (the sequel is skippable)

Whatever Cassavetes they have
>>
File: Armageddon Criterion.jpg (78 KB, 850x571) Image search: [Google]
Armageddon Criterion.jpg
78 KB, 850x571
>>69018422
>Who the fuck do these pretentious fuckwits think they are?
A company that targets highschool and early 20s "film buffs" with expendable income. It makes the buyer think they're buying "art" because it has been "curated" for them.

Never forget they released pic related.
>>
>>69024133
Get over it crybaby
>>
>>69024183
>Get over it crybaby
Getting upset that someone is calling into question how you wasted your money? I bought into this shit when I was in my 20s, and then when I got tired of the clutter taking up shelf space I sold them. They're worthless trash and I got about $3/each for them.
>>
>>69023874
Anything by John Ford, Ingmar Bergman or Jean Cocteau
>>
File: sooth-crying-baby.jpg (15 KB, 635x414) Image search: [Google]
sooth-crying-baby.jpg
15 KB, 635x414
>>69024245
>you
>>
>>69024133
I wonder if this is one guy or a group of people. Always the same writing style. Always quoting Armond White. Always holier than thou.
>>
>Criterion Collection

What is their criterion, exactly?
>>
>>69024363
>What is their criterion, exactly?
Whatever crap they can sell to hipsters
>>
>restoring old movies that otherwise will be lost in history
>pretentious

OP's mad that they don't have any batman movies on there.
>>
File: 75_chasingamy_original.jpg (95 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
75_chasingamy_original.jpg
95 KB, 348x490
>>69024571

Did Chasing Amy really hit that criterion?
>>
>>69024796

Kevin Smith had some hipster cred at the time, so yes.
>>
>>69024133
I have that Armageddon DC release by Criterion and it's one of the best releases from the time except for one glaring mistake in making it non-anamorphic letterbox. Other than that great special features all around and to this day the only release of the Director's Cut.

The Rock was just as good but it's rendered obsolete by the bluray which has the same features with even better video and audio.
>>
>i'm a cinephile that's why i pay $40 a movie to show everyone how much of a cinephile i am
>>
Why does everything have to be such a love it or hate it thing. Criterion puts out some good movies, and they also put out a ton of stuff that just doesn't interest me at all. I just buy movies that I like, regardless of the label. Who gives a shit?
>>
>>69024585
>OP's mad that they don't have any batman movies on there.
yet

we both know eventually they'll start selling capefilms. probably the first one will be Michael Keaton Batman and then the Dark Knight collection ;__;
>>
File: 776_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg (49 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
776_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
49 KB, 348x490
>tfw the cover for Moonrise Kingdom isn't the fun, colorful art of the other covers
>>
>>69021029

>The Thief of Bagdad

Patrician detected.
>>
>>69025449
No one pays full price
>>
Why do poseurs latch onto the Criterion label?
>>
>>69022165
Some are, most aren't. Buy a region b or free player. They're cheap.
>>
>>69025531
Wes Anderson must be butt buddies with Criterion's president, because almost all his fucking movies are in the collection, when maybe, MAYBE one deserves it.

And it's not Moonrise Kingdom.
>>
>>69025826

Any recommendations for a cheap Region B/Region Free player? I've been thinking about getting one, but haven't found the right price point yet.
>>
>>69026006
Rushmore?
>>
When I see something I want that is unexpectedly cheap for a Criterion I'll get it, but for the most part I don't think their releases are worth the premium. Masters of Cinema and BFI are more practical releases for UK - Criterions are all imports here.
>>
>>69026520
>Criterions are all imports here.
Not any more.
>>
File: laser.jpg (744 KB, 1351x1323) Image search: [Google]
laser.jpg
744 KB, 1351x1323
>>69025673
- it's a genuinely respected brand by actually knowledgeable cinephiles, posers just latch onto what knowledgeable do
- they were the first home release label to go out of their way to create extra content, back in the laser disc days, when btw they showcased a different more middle-of-the-road taste/sensibility
- typically (but not always) have the best re-masters on a technical level on the worldwide market as you can see on bluray comparison websites / MoC in UK, Carlotta in France, etc do great releases as well but something people don't know is that these companies often share copies and work together, depending on available print material and to reduce costs
- they dedicated themselves to release the arthouse canon, with essays from "scholars" which gives them legitimacy for the easily impressed
- this means any young person interested in film and looking through "100 best foreign films" type of list will wanna discover Bergman, Godard, Ozu etc. and will naturally associate those films with Criterion since they have the best releases and most complete catalog due to their monopoly
- they have a good design teams, from their website which looks quite sleek, to the stylized release covers, where they brought in internet artists and allowed them creative freedom, they do cool little extras like Youtube edits/trailers, bringing in hyped celebrities to do a top 10 list/picking films from their closet videos, hype new releases with funny games, etc.
- worst side of this is how posers do fake criterion posters with the cliché minimalistic/tumblr style for their favorite movies
- their monopoly is both a good and bad , other labels struggle to exist in the US, Arrow managed to fill a niche Criterion didn't do (giallo, spaghetti westenr), on the other side they're such a powerful brand by now and have consistently releasing canon classics for years that they could also release a shitload of rare, ignored, underseen oddities & filmographies, Eclise sets...
>>
>>69026706
mite b cool
>>
>>69024073
>trying this hard

lel
>>
Only Criterion movies I have are Being John Malkovich, The Thin Red Line, and Paths of Glory.
>>
>>69027045
Ok
>>
>>69026777
>other labels struggle to exist in the US
This would be my biggest complaint. I hope they don't fuck up the BFI's sales if they're now coming to the UK.
>>
>>69020129
They have Two Days, One Night as part of their collection, one of the most boring movies of all time.
>>
>>69018422

It's not just about fancy disc packaging, they're doing important work in preserving and restoring a lot of these older films. Film degrades over time, it costs money to do the kind of transfer work that Criterion does, and there aren't many other DVD/Blu-Ray houses that will take the time to do so.
>>
File: 597_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg (47 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
597_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
47 KB, 348x490
Least deserved Criterion AND worst cover?
>>
>>69023693
I've never seen anyone get butthurt over Criterion's choices unless they're baiting for a response.
>>69024133
What, are you not willing to recognize Michael Bay as the master of explosionkino?
>>69025473
I don't think they'd stoop to capeshit but at least one Nolan film would get in, probably Memento.
>>
>>69027403
dropped
>>
>>69024245
Thanks for outing your prior statements as projection. You are a gigantic butthead.
>>
>>69027191

Nah, it's pretty good. Not one of the Dardennes' best movies but it's still quite good.
>>
>>69026777
this obsession with calling people posers is so bizarre
>>
File: 43.png (28 KB, 162x138) Image search: [Google]
43.png
28 KB, 162x138
>>69018422
>Restored Apu Trilogy
>Restored A Brighter Summer Day
>In the last few fucking months

7/10 b7
>>
>>69025449
literally everybody buys criterion during sales
This is a known fact
>>
>>69018422
I really dislike the attitude their harbour(is this the correct word) and the people they are pandering to(redditors and tumblr-core nerds) but they really put in work. I don't own any of their releases but it's great to see that they serve as a platform to get into the entry level obscure/arthouse while also appealing to a more distinguished audience simply by putting out great scans
>>
>>69020851
They're certainly more "indie".

Criterion is the Facebook of movie distributors in comparison
>>
>>69026006
Criterion probably cream their pants over this hipster symmetry symbolism hack and cannot wait to release his "kino"
>>
>>69023105
They're expensive relative to other blu-rays, but really not overpriced when you think about how much work and money they put into their releases. They have to buy the rights for the films, commission artists to create original box art for their releases (admittedly a lot do seem lazy and weak, but they you also get god-tier box art like Repo Man), they contact creators and retroactively create a bunch of special features (modern releases just make features and promos during production), their packaging is clearly more expensive to produce than average flimsy blu-ray packaging, they have to pay someone to meticulously restore old films often from the original prints, they either buy the rights to old essays/articles on the film or pay someone to write a new piece to be included with their release, often times they get the director themselves to supervise the restoration, etc.

Compare that to the average Marvel blu-ray, which costs just as much without any of that effort put in.
>>
>>69024073
I like Love Song of Vengeance
>>
>>69024245
>claims not to be crybaby
>admits he's angry at criterion for dropping in value when he tried to resell them
>now shames Criterion buyers on the internet to vent anger

KEK
>>
POTEMKINE OR GTFO
>>
>>69027630
Following is already in the collection. Nolan is Criterion-core
>>
>>69018422
patricians
>>
tfw no Stalker
>>
>Not having gratitude for Criterion's work, as a cinephile.
Lol some of you guys are trying too hard.
>>
>>69029922
They decry hipsters by being contrarian hipsters.
>>
>>69031503
How ironic
>>
post collections
>>
>>69032220
collections
>>
>>69024073
here's what's out of print as well as unstreamable from your recs:
>Renoir: Grand Illusion
>Cocteau: Blood of a Poet, Testament of Orpheus (both in Orphic Trilogy)
>Godard: Pierrot le Fou, Contempt
>>
>>69020077
>Arrow Video brings you the best cult films in deluxe editions
>Arrow Video editions take in genre staples like Italian horror, grindhouse classics and much more
is that the best you've got?
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-02+at+02.46.43).jpg (258 KB, 925x652) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-02+at+02.46.43).jpg
258 KB, 925x652
>>69032220
Planning to get In the Mood for Love, the new Stillman collection, and La Jetee next.
>>
>>69029337
They don't buy rights, they buy a license. Many of their previous releases have not been re-released because of expired licenses. Also, while some of the special features are unique to the Criterion releases, not all of them are like you are suggesting here.

Anyway, the real reason why they can charge out the ass for them is because there is no competition and they know the Criterion brand is perceived and treated like a.premium product.
>>
>>69032695
La Jetee / Sans Soleil is one of my favourite releases ever. Chris Marker made at least 2 other films that approach those in quality: Le Joli Mai, which he made during the creation of La Jetee with Pierre Lhomme, and The Grin Without a Cat - which is a mesmerizing crash course in the history of political movements in the 20th century.
>>
only white cucks buy criterion releases.
>>
>>69018422
Their fans are worse.
>>
File: why.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>Can't stream their shit in yurop
Why is Hulu american only
>>
>>69032639
arrow is run by a pair of cunts though.
>>
>>69026006
It's business. Wes Anderson is popular enough to make the company enough money to allow them to continue restoring obscure films, while also being hipster and "le quirky" enough to not seem out of place on the collection.
>>
>>69032942
Rutracker has tons of them - torrent harder, you fool

besides, they're ending their Hulu partnership soon anyway
>>
>>69025457
This. I'd say they do maybe 10 releases a year I am interested in. The cult around a distribution label is sickening.
>>
File: 813_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg (37 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
813_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg
37 KB, 348x490
When is the next B&N sale? I want to buy Wim Wender's Road Trilogy boxset.
>>
>>69027191
They also have Armageddon and any film made by Wes Anderson even if it's shit.

They release garbage films but they have a lot of films worth watching plus their releases have great quality and a lot of extras.
>>
>>69032975
Isn't Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas their top-selling release? The Wes Anderson films must be just below that.
>>
>>69032695
>the new Stillman collection

Making my way through it now, it's awesome. Really insightful and funny. Whit's a singular talent and intellect, it's inspiring to hear his commentary on how he cobbled Metropolitan together, and Eigeman as well. About to watch Barcelona with commentary after viewing it recently, it looks fantastic.
>>
>A board that does nothing but talk about superhero blockbusters and neckbeard fantasy shows all day doesn't like art films

What a shocker.
>>
>>69033267
>The cult around a distribution label is sickening.
welcome to the 21st century nigger
>>
>>69033422 (Not particularly to you only)
Anderson never made anything even near to shit. And Armageddon, besides the economic explanation given in every single thread, is actually a quite interesting piece of overlooked auteur filmmaking.

And as always, anyone is invited to say what films are 'garbage' that Criterion released.
>>
>>69033776
I know people define their identity based on what they buy, nowadays.
>>
>>69026777
Holy fuck dude how do you not know how to green text?
Oh because you're from fucking reddit
I WANT 4CHAN TO BE THE WAY IT USED TO BE GUYS
I WANT IT SO BAD
>>
>>69034074
How about someone not wanting to greentext?
>>
If there was another label making great quality transfers with tons of extra features and great unique cover art for the same movies then i'd gladly buy that. There isn't much competition out there so I don't see anything wrong with them.
>>
>>69034128
Scream Factory does exactly that. It's only Horror/Cult films though.
>>
>>69034119
Fuck off back to r.eddit
>>
>>69034199
And if someone doesn't do that?
>>
>>69024133
>>69024183
They are the Tumblredidit of labels, pandering to tryhard hipster artsy-fartsy wannabe film connoisseurs and failed Hollywood directors, who end up in the video game industry as "writers" and game "directors". From time to time an actually good film lands in their catalog.
>>
>>69034074
I like my text like you how you love your cocks, black
>faggot
>>
>>69034509
Lena Dunham having a criterion movie doesn't suddenly make John Ford movies shit
>>
>>69034603
That's not the point and I never said that, retard.
>>
>>69034509
>>69034718
>>69024133
Come on, that's low effort. You can put a lot more of buzzwords in your shitposts. We believe in you, friendo.
>>
>>69034806
Reddit: the insipid, edgy post.
I bet you would downvote me if you could, hoping for aknowledgement from your Criterion peers.
>>
I really fucking hope Criterion Collection releases In the Mood for Love in yurop now that they distribute some stuff here.
>>
File: Red_forman.jpg (29 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
Red_forman.jpg
29 KB, 307x400
>>69035187
>now that they distribute some stuff here.
>>
File: andrzej.jpg (161 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
andrzej.jpg
161 KB, 1000x1500
>dies in CURRENT YEAR
>none of his movies have a Criterion release
Shit, Criterion is for poser plebs to show off their normie friends that they "really like movies" because they spent the extra cash on bullshit.
>>
>>69035334
I thought the reason everyone was talking up Possession was because of the Crit release.
>>
>>69035299
They've got like... 6 or so films coming out in the UK soon. At least one is already out (Polanski's MacBeth).
>>
>>69021029
Fucking love Onibaba, me
>>
File: 1454457599516.png (176 KB, 600x425) Image search: [Google]
1454457599516.png
176 KB, 600x425
Is there a guide that explains what criterion, bfi, etc are, the differences between them, and where to buy them for us/europe ?

There should be a /tv/ sticky
>>
>>69035387
you thought wrong, faggit.
>>
File: 1430146839095.jpg (27 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
1430146839095.jpg
27 KB, 489x499
>tfw no one told me Criterion is releasing In a Lonely Place

Finally something from them to be excited about!
>>
>>69035802
You would if you checked. This is 3 months old news. Plus, 'exciting' releases can be found monthly tb.h.
>>
>>69036147
Not worth my time to check, since I'm interested in maybe 10% of their releases, chum.
>>
Criterion is a very good resource. They put a lot of effort into producing high quality transfers and extra materials.

The market for criterion is made of three groups.

1. Film students/scholars
2. People that genuinely just like arthouse movies
3. People that want to project an image of themselves to themselves.

Regardless of how large that third group is, it doesn't taint the service the label does for the first two.

Does anyone honesly think we'd see a Blu-Ray release of Nagisa Oshima's Death by Hanging, or a box set of the Agnes Varda films if criterion hadn't also sold a lot of copies of The Game or Moonrise Kingdom.

Not everything released is a top quality film, sure, and they have a tendency to release minor films from major directors rather than major films from minor directors which could be upsetting to some but it's still very good.
>>
>>69036865
Why do you have to use a trip and top it being the most cringeworthy name for a tripfag? Who cares about the post when some retard calls himself by that? kys
>>
>>69037054
but he's right and has made a more valuable contribution to this thread than you
>>
>>69037054
Do you think that I think I'm the Emperor of /tv/?
>>
>>69037121
Couldn't know since I didn't bother to read something by someone called ***, Nice going of you white-knighting a pathetic tripfag.

>>69037200
I insist, kill yourself
>>
My school has a collection of just about every DVD ever released for rent, and I've compared the quality of a criterion release to a regular production release.

Criterion is superior in every way quality wise, plus they jam the dvd full of really neat special features, commentary tracks, short films, etc.

That's not to mention all the work they do in restoration, like putting together Heaven's Gate from discarded negatives or restoring destroyed silent films.

They're a great source of good in the film industry and put out such a huge range of film, don't know who in their right mind could take any offense to what they've done for home media.

Feels like 40% of this thread is people trolling
>>
tEST
>>
>>69037874
>Feels like 40% of this thread is people trolling

If only. It's anti-intellectualism, bro posters.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.