[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think we can all just about agree that season 2 was superior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: ta6SrYki.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ta6SrYki.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
I think we can all just about agree that season 2 was superior to season 1, but which of the two had the better cast? True, season 2 had Mike Mulligan and Sheriff Grandpa, but season 1 had Lester and Lorne Malvo. I don't think it's nearly as easy of a choice as you might think.
>>
>>69017703
>season 2 was superior
In what bizarro world is this true?
>>
>>69017834

>people are still bitching about the UFO
>>
Forgot based apache.

UFO was fucking daft and ruined it for me.
>>
>>69017834

Watch season 1 again, man. The pilot and the finale are good, but most of the stuff in between does NOT hold up well. Especially the Malvo storylines. Billy Bob's performance carried it well enough, but a lot of the writing/plotting is straight awful.
>>
>>69018008
Fuck the UFO man, I'm more upset with this "Hanzee gets new identity and becomes the crime boss from season 1 and he saves two kids, one of them a mute, leading us to conclude that those must be the two hitmen from season 1, all because the two seasons need to be linked seamlessly" shit.
>>
>>69019113

True, that bit really was dumb, but it doesn't ruin the whole season.
>>
I agree that S2>S1, but even ignoring the AYY LMAOs, the ending of S1 was really good, while the ending of S2 wasn't. That just leaves a bitter taste.

Both had excellent casting, but S2 had more waifus: Kirstin Dunst, Cancerfu and of course butchershop-qt3.14
>>
>>69017703
shit is backwards. season 2 had a better cast but season 1 was objectively better in general
>>
>>69020009

Well, ignoring the shit with Hanzee, it's the difference between a resolved ending and an unresolved ending. I'd even say that season 1 was a fairly happy ending, while season 2 was bittersweet as hell.
>>
>>69019780
yes it does because Hanzee was basically the season's primary focus by the end and a complete Gary Stu emblematic of how the writer clearly made the season up as he went along
>>
>>69020009
>ignoring the AYY LMAOs
I love how season 2 went into full storytelling mode in the end, BTFOing those who watch it only for le mafia bang bang. This was not a tale about turf rivalry.
I guess they learned from the Sopranos and Breaking Bad, that those people will watch anyway and won't understand anyway.
>>
Season 3 dreams thread?

>Main focus: Mr Wrench
>Supernatural element: Ghosts
>Cameo from Malvo and/or Molly is enough for me
>>
>>69020124
>Le TFA criticism copied
Oh /tv/, you and your memes.

Tell me, what happens when Hanzee takes off that mask?
>>
S2 was average as fuck though
>>
File: barton-fink_hallway.jpg (29 KB, 595x325) Image search: [Google]
barton-fink_hallway.jpg
29 KB, 595x325
>>69020535

What if thy go full Barton Fink?
>>
Both seasons are overrated and there's not a whole lot seperating them.

Season 2 looked like it would be stronger but it fell apart. The motivations for Hanzee and the black dude made very little sense by the end and the last episode was a major letdown.
>>
>>69020535
It's probably about a corporation, that at the same time conducts and nurtures a community by providing jobs and identity, yet destroying that communities basis by pushing out the other identities, poisoning the environment, etc
>>
>>69020535
>Walter Sobchak-like character fucks shit up
>>
If it doesn't have a cult in it I'm not watching.
>>
>>69020735

>The motivations for Hanzee and the black dude made very little sense by the end and the last episode was a major letdown.

How did they make very little sense? Hanzee was tired of being treated like a dog, and decided to make a power play, later going into business for himself. There were multiple instances where he's treated like an inferior because of his race, especially by his employers, and he was sick of it.

Mike Mulligan just wanted respect and to move up in the world. He wanted his shot at the American Dream. Shit, I'd say Mulligan's motivations were the most transparent out of anyone else's.
>>
>>69020735
>a black guy going the extra mile to cash in on the 'post-racial' world
>a Native American embracing his fringe existence by leaving his given fringe existence

I think their motivation was very well laid out.
>>
>>69020909
>How did they make very little sense?
Hanzee was still chasing the Blumquists around even though he was tired of working for the family. And then they suddenly dropped this in the last episode. Really he should have just disappeared after killing the Burn Notice guy.

Mikes employers tried to have him killed off and he keeps working for them anyway. and then somehow ends up being offered an office job even though he is a professional hitman.

The writers tried too hard to get every character involved in the showdown in episode 9 and also tried too hard to give closure with every character in episode 10.
>>
>>69021735

He tried to kill the Blumquists because they still knew who he was, and he wanted any reminder of that person to be erased. He fucked off because he had no choice but to do otherwise; the cops were right on his tail, and if he gave chase into the supermarket he'd either get killed or arrested. Part of the reason why he got facial reconstruction surgery is, I imagine, so that Peggy wouldn't be able to identify him.

>Mike

How many times has your shitty job nearly done horrible things to you? How many times has your manager stepped on you, or tried to get you fired for arbitrary reasons? He had dollar signs in his eyes and they completely obscured his vision. As for the office job, that's what the Fargo Mob is: they're organized crime gone corporate. You prove yourself well enough, even as a fry cook in a McDonalds, and you'll eventually get an office job.
>>
>>69021735
>Hanzee was still chasing the Blumquists around even though he was tired of working for the family.
Wasn't that addressed directly in the finale? That he showed them his true self, and when they rejected him, it got personal for him?

Also, why would Mike take it personal when Fargo goes after him? He knows the game. He just didn't know that winning means becoming a white collar criminal. That's the joke.

Did you really watch the show and not pick up on all that? It's all pretty clearly in there
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.