[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the hell did this movie make over $1 billion? At one point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: deppbeforethemakeup.jpg (252 KB, 799x1066) Image search: [Google]
deppbeforethemakeup.jpg
252 KB, 799x1066
How the hell did this movie make over $1 billion? At one point it was the 5th most grossing film of all time. Nobody I know has seen this, and I don't know if the sequel coming out will even come close to touching the billion mark.
>>
>>69013177
Kids love shit. Ffs Minions made more
>>
No one I know saw Avatar
>>
Remember, box office is the measure of quality.
>>
>>69013177
Because Tim Burton + Alice should've equaled something amazing.

Instead he put himself on quirky autopilot and we got a mess, trouble is it was just good enough not to generate scathing reviews so people still went to see it.
>>
>>69013177
that IS odd it made that much. I remember it being very average. At least I could understand why avatar was so popular, but Alice in Wonderland was just really mediocre weird, if you understand what I mean. Like wierd people would like it but it's not even good in that regard
>>
>>69013177
I don't know, just like I don't know why at the time 90% of girls had that fucking mad hatter as profile pic on facebook, usually with that cringey quote about madness
>>
No, no, not only was it pretty bad, it's worse bit by far, the mad hatter by Depp, is it's most praised.
>>
At least around here it was riding the new wave of 3D films, many theaters only recently started showing them and it was the first big movie to use it. But yes I watched it and don't really understand how it could make that much, it honestly wasn't anything special.
>>
File: Wanker.png (479 KB, 855x432) Image search: [Google]
Wanker.png
479 KB, 855x432
Because Futterwacken. Got a problem? Refer to the Futterwacken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dosfiJdr0g
>>
>>69013177
Burton is a pleb magnet.
Alice is a pleb magnet (still decent though).
It got decent (not shit) reviews, so people didn't avoid it.

Same reason why capeshit make a lot of money.
>>
>>69013972
this
it was the novelty of being the first big 3D film post-Avatar (highest grossing film of all time)...
plus it's a big Disney summer movie riding on one of their biggest properties, with burton & depp (a franchise themselves) and made around the same time these live-action retellings of classic children tales were all the rage. So it was a perfect storm that made a mediocre movie very, very successful.
>>
>>69014003
that was SO cringey I couldn't watch it and had to skip
>>
File: I'm Still A Wanker.png (620 KB, 858x435) Image search: [Google]
I'm Still A Wanker.png
620 KB, 858x435
>>69014106
Oh, go on. Treat yourself.
>>
It was an okay flick. Most kids I know saw this.
>>
Johnny dep.
>>
>>69013177

Massive corruption in Chinese theater chains. Basically, whatever movie you buy a ticket for, they print you one for the movie they've been told to sell, then just tell you to go to the right screen for your preferred movie.
>>
China is a nation of plebs, they crave and demand bland
>>
>>69014003
I cringe everytime I think of Jhonny Deep.
>>
>>6901555
Christ the chinese really need to get their shit together if they ever want to be a first world country.
>>
Anne is captain of team brown eyed qts.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1334x750
>>69014003
>>
File: Hathaway7.png (928 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Hathaway7.png
928 KB, 900x675
>>
>>69016265
>You will never be a masturbating Anne Hathaway touching all of your erogenous zones consumed with the pleasure of just loving yourself purely and deeply

>You will never take yourself to a world of unmatched ecstasy and pass out in your Catwoman leather and when you wake up, your husband brings you breakfast in bed

>You will never give him a cute peck on the cheek and go to work fully satisfied and content with your career, orgasms and family life
>>
>>69017085
can you stop

these are all very low-res and most aren't even that good
>>
>>69017207
because
1. they're all very low res
and
2. aren't even that good
>>
File: 1462006219229.jpg (45 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1462006219229.jpg
45 KB, 480x640
>>69013856
Nightmare before Christmas was super popular amongst a similar crowd.
>>
>>69017305
point out two people to me that appreciate having these shitty 250p images spammed
>>
>its a tripfag spams his folder of shitty images everyone has seen a hundred times thread
>>
>>69013972
>>69014089
>Avatar (highest grossing film of all time)
btw how weird is it that? Does anybody still give even one shit about Avatar?
>>
>>69013177
Euros are retarded. That's partly why.
>>
>>69013177
Inflation.
>>
>>69013856
How ugly are the women near you that they resort to the neckbeard on steam approach of using a character as their profile picture?
>>
File: gotgdanceoff-139697.jpg (112 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
gotgdanceoff-139697.jpg
112 KB, 655x380
>>69014003
DANCE OFF BRO
>>
>>69013177
massive rush of in-theater views to see the 3d because at the time it came out it was subject to the "you gotta see it!" meme much like avatar. tons of parents took kids to see it, plus some people who watched it because of the tim burton meme and have forgotten it since because it was forgettable even to tim burton fans. i actually remember that i saw this in theaters. i know was with a group of people but i couldn't tell you who exactly. i don't remember anything about the plot except there was a jabberwock voiced by christopher lee at the end and i specifically remember thinking even the jabberwock was kind of boring. also helena bonham carter with an oversized head, i remember that. i think it was somebody's birthday
>>
>>69013177
I know a lot of people who have seen it but I have never heard anyone have even a slightly positive opinion about it.
>>
>>69017437
She's pretty. Does she do regular cosplay stuff? Name?
>>
Waifufags and pedoposters make me feel so good about myself because I realise I will never be that pathetic
>>
>>69015520
The flopmeister, he is box office poison who is somehow well regarded.
>>
Hot topic
>>
>>69013250
the cartoon was better
>>
>>69013856

cringey quote about madness?
>>
Maybe it was because of the international box office? Asians go crazy over anything Alice related.
>>
>>69013177
Im guessing that the foreign market is the culprit, after all the movie is very visual and both plot and narrative are generic which the asian market tends to love. e.g. transformers
>>
File: foreign plebs.jpg (350 KB, 1870x827) Image search: [Google]
foreign plebs.jpg
350 KB, 1870x827
the answer is ALWAYS foreign plebs
>>
>>69013177
Lot of kids, specially pre-teens liked it, my nephew confirmed this
>>
>no feet pics yet

Come on, step it up
>>
110 / 72 / 41 / 2

fucking waifuposter cancer
get laid
>>
>>69014003
Dat filename. Yeah fuck Johnny Depp
>>
we have /hr/ and /s/ for this shit, nigger
>>
>>69019982
kys
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.