[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it, /tv/. What was the point of killing Jon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: 19101523.gif (993 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
19101523.gif
993 KB, 500x278
I don't get it, /tv/. What was the point of killing Jon Snow in the first place, if he was going to be brought back in two episodes? I could get killing him off only to bring him back if it meant that a lot of crazy shit went down at Castle Black while he was temporarily incapacitated, but apart from some tension between Davos and Alliser, nothing really happened in his absence. Killing him didn't even generate suspense over the last 10 months, since everyone knew that he wasn't really dead. Apart from the brief inconvenience of being dead, it's as if nothing proceeded differently than it would have had he been alive for the entirety.
>>
I think he's gonna leave the Nights Watch
>>
>>69001740
It deals with Thorne and gives Snow the mythological status he needs to rally the northfolk around him. Before he was just a bastard, now he's a god.
>>
>>69001740
>It's an Anon wants it to be CSI type show, episode.
>>
1) He gets to leave the Night's Watch without breaking his vows

2) he's Azor Ahai
>>
>>69001740
>What was the point of killing Jon Snow in the first place, if he was going to be brought back in two episodes?
To free him of his Nights Watch oath
>>
>>69001793
no one even knows that he died
roose and ramsay literally had no clue he was dead
why would anyone believe he died if they weren't at the wall when it happened
>>
>>69001740
So he can leave the Night's Watch and take back the north. Technically he's no longer a part of the Nights Watch since he fulfilled his duties till death. Now that he is revived he is no longer bound to that oath.
>>
>>69001793
>>69001821
These
And now his watch has ended...
>>
>>69001740
Once he's dead all his vows for night's watch shall go down the drain. Had it been me in his place the first thing i would do is fuck every woman in the north to satiate my pee pee.
>>
Marketing basically. Some people actually thought that GoT writers were competent enough to not using cheap twists without a goal or a meaning whatsoever.
>>
>>69001740
>He died to end his vows with the Night's Watch

You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>69001829
He has nearly 40 witnesses that can verify his death and revival.
>>
>>69001740
Maybe so he can leave the knights watch? I cant see any other reason really, maybe there will be a better reason in the books.
>>
First because it occurs in the book, and it's a major event.

Second because it creates discussion and hype for the new season, this is probably the most important decision because it can significantly boost viewership and ensure people return to watch the show. That's the entire purpose of a cliffhanger.
>>
Jon's not going to leave the watch. He will "evolve" the watch in that he realizes his best interest in the survival of the realm is to unite the North and prepare for the Others. It's an extension of his duty in being the shield that guards the realms of men. His duty as a knight's watchman is to do just that, and he can accomplish it by leaving castle black, uniting the north and preparing for the Others.

This whole "lol he's dead so his vows don't matter" is so dumb. Jon as a character wouldn't pull this kind of bullshit just to get out of his vows.
>>
>>69001740

1) The TV show didn't write this plot point, GRRM did, knowing that TWOW would take several years to write giving a strong cliffhanger to one of the series' main plot lines.

2) Jon is Azor Ahai, reborn amidst salt and smoke.

3) Arguably, Jon's NW vows are now null and void, seeing as he has died.

4) It makes it a little more convincing for the Wildlings and all of Westeros if your hero has literally come back from the dead.
>>
>>69002332
I don't think the Wildlings would be too keen on people coming back from the dead
>>
>>69002332
>reborn amidst salt and smoke
what will this mean?
>>
>>69002426
he's a ham
>>
>>69002426
Sophie was on set having a fag
>>
>>69002534
>Anonymous
Kek
>>
>>69001740
the watch have a duty till death, jon died and was relieved of his duty, he can take back the north now
>>
>>69002296

This. John already chose the path of honor twice. The first time he chose the watch over his family, the second time he chose the watch over Winterfell, the one thing that he always wanted with all of his heart but knew that he would never ever be able to have.

If the time comes for Azor Ahai to rule the world the Night's Watch will be disbanded anyways, so the vows are irrelevant in that sense. He will probably die heroically or something anyways.
>>
>be D&D
>have the thankless task of adapting a huge fantasy series
>shit on at every time we try to remix the story
>get to the moment everyone's been waiting for
>Jons death and resurrection
>get shit on for having a pointless story about killing someone and bringing them back
>GRRM has done it atleast 4 times and is heralded as a genius

Niggas can never win
>>
>>69002426
Salty bookfags and smoky new memes
>>
>>69001974
This. Is retarded how people think there's a in-story reason for it
>>
well that seemed easy enough. Why don't they just start resurrecting everyone? It saddens me but I'm seriously done with this crap
>>
>>69001821
>He gets to leave the Night's Watch without breaking his vow

cool, so GRRM based this major moment in his fantasy epic on a grammar loophole. How epic is that
>>
The night's watch oath means jack shit since it's literally 20 people in some dinky shacks and every episode we see them 4-5 of them die to whatever.
No other "castles" or anything like that has been established properly and their entire operation seems really pathetic.

In the show it had legendary status, even though it wasn't manned properly but in the show it looks small and irrelevant as fuck.
>>
So... i was the only one that waited for Juan Nieve to be resurrected while he was burning in the pire?
>>
>>69001974
his death was in the books retard
>>
Well in the books there is a lot of buildup with the Great Other vs Lord of Light lore stuff and the Azor Ahai being the one who get shit done.
That's also mixed with Rhaegar knowing about the AA prophecy and Jon being his son it's all falling into place.
Plus Jon is basically a Paul Atreides waiting to be reborn as something greater so he can lead the north and so on ...

In the show he gets to the wall, gets one mission north of the wall, is elected commander and is dead and it all feels like it happened maybe in one month or so.

And you can bet your average show watcher isn't even aware of Azor Ahai or Rhaegar so this whole Jon comes back thing falls flat.
>>
>>69001829
Tormund saw him dead

The last dude who questioned him got fucked up so he'll be pretty convincing
>>
>>69001782
Death releases him from his vows
>>
>>69002047
Thieves and rapists, all of them. Stannis's men would put a grumpkin up as their king if they thought it could bring them victory.
>>
>>69005238
he didn't get fucked up, the dude legitimately beat him to death with his own stick. He got completely raped
>>
>>69001740
stannis being alive would more of atwist but alas ;_;
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.