[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dude directs three movies in the first thirty years of his career
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Terrence-Malick-009.jpg (23 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Terrence-Malick-009.jpg
23 KB, 460x276
Dude directs three movies in the first thirty years of his career and then like six in the last decade. What's up? Is he dying?
>>
He had some experiences and made movies about them.
>>
>>68989158
I'll never forgive him for Quantitative Easing.
>>
>>68989263
this
Canonization of "Voyage of Time" into the Bible as the Revelation of Terrence when?
>>
He studied theology and shit in Paris
>>
File: 1413952311776.jpg (37 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1413952311776.jpg
37 KB, 512x512
>>68989293
get out
>>
PRINT

MORE

MONEY
>>
File: 1417245420282.jpg (11 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
1417245420282.jpg
11 KB, 250x300
>>68989424
Please do it Ben.
>>
He is Love
>>
Who cares? His artistic talent died a decade past.
>>
>>68989651
t. atheist
>>
>>68989158
“In 1978, I began work on what I thought would be my greatest project: a six-hour drama called Hot Tub Boy. It was about a 9-year-old boy who sits in a hot tub for a hundred years. Every 20 minutes throughout the six-hour movie, he picks up a phone at the side of the hot tub and says, ‘I am the Hot Tub Boy.’ Then he hangs up. We never learn who he’s talking to on the phone.

“I worked on that screenplay year after year, but I started second-guessing myself, and I couldn’t decide whether the boy should say, “I am the Hot Tub Boy” or “I am a Hot Tub Boy.” I went back and forth on this question for 20 years and never figured it out. Eventually, I gave up on the project altogether. In 1998, I made The Thin Red Line, my first film in two decades. It’s trash compared to Hot Tub Boy.”
>>
>>68990221
Ha Ha
LMAO!
>>
Joking aside, I do wander about this. There must have been some event that made him decide that it was important to share his ideas with the world.
>>
>>68990562
My point exactly. No one just starts busting their ass at 70 for no good reason.
>>
>>68990221
10/10 pasta
>>
>>68990619
Either some specific statement of philosophy or he feels that God spoke to him, probably the latter.
>>
>>68990221
Is this true??
>>
Ever read how he doesn't make films for money, and that he is independently rich?

It seems apparent that the huge hiatus had something to do with that.
>>
>>68991178
He wrote screenplays and did rewrites during that time.
>>
>>68991111
As true as your digits
>>
He took 20 years off to do some iffy Heidegger translations. Patrish af tbdesu.
>>
It blows my mind that there are people who don't like his films. I literally don't know if I would even believe in God without his films. I was a rationalist and strong atheist at one point in my life, even anti-theist, and his films were a major turning point for that. I believe that God works through Terrence Malick in the same way that he worked through Michelangelo and Bach. How could I look at these films and see that while someone else sees something else?
>>
File: 1350804101219.jpg (36 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1350804101219.jpg
36 KB, 720x540
I've never seen a Malick film before. Where should I start?
>>
>>68991600
Badlands
>>
>>68991600

With his first then continue through them all chronologically.
>>
Probably just changed his mind. Dudes going up there in years so I figure he doesn't want to waste anymore time just sitting on his ass.
>>
>>68991600
Possible entry points are Badlands, which is a more typical films from its era, though still interesting and very good. Days of Heaven which is arguably his greatest film that still exists within the realm of mortals. Thin Red Line, which is his most accessible flat out, WW2 film plus poetry, and Tree of Life, which transcends the medium of film itself. Depends on what you are ready for or interested in.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.