[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm glad this got shafted by RLM and snubbed at the Oscars,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 16
File: Boyhood.jpg (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Boyhood.jpg
1 MB, 1366x768
I'm glad this got shafted by RLM and snubbed at the Oscars, because it just would've been more of a meme to hate. This is a fucking masterpiece, and I'm not surprised that a bunch of fat guys who talk about B-movies and capeshit didn't like it.
>>
My thing was this:

I like the concept, and I think if they had gone more for a documentary style of "a kid growing up" and showing major milestones and troubles with the kids life then it being a actual movie, I think it would have more impact.

Problem is, as a movie it felt very disjointed and just not very good. I thought the earlier parts of the movie were interesting, but as time went on it got worse and worse, like they didn't know what the hell to do with this and came too far to change anything.
>>
Patricia Arquette has great tits
>>
>>68970496
Lmao boring shit
>>
>>68970888
This. Around when the boy was around maybe 14/15 is when it started to get so bad.
>>
>>68970988
>>68971008
>>>/capeshit/
>>
it would have done a lot better if the critics were even aware that it took 12 years to make
>>
File: I'm that guy.jpg (36 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
I'm that guy.jpg
36 KB, 620x620
Ryan Steele from VR Troopers gets drunk, that's good enough for me
>>
File: 1423508357740.jpg (858 KB, 1201x821) Image search: [Google]
1423508357740.jpg
858 KB, 1201x821
>>68971048
Boyhood is the capeshit of indie flicks
>>
>>68970888
>as time goes on it gets worse and worse
>just like real life

is there anything linklater cant do?
>>
>>68970496

I agree OP. That glorious feel when /tv/ rejects another masterpiece.
>>
File: frog_meme.jpg (20 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
frog_meme.jpg
20 KB, 400x388
I actually really enjoyed this. Except it made me really depressed for a good week thinking back on my own childhood and growing up having had similar experiences. Now my life is pretty much shit and I wish I could go back
>>
File: 12_years.jpg (87 KB, 1276x689) Image search: [Google]
12_years.jpg
87 KB, 1276x689
>you will never ever experience something like this
>>
File: frog_meme6.jpg (10 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
frog_meme6.jpg
10 KB, 219x230
>>68974519
>>
>>68970888
Spot on. So much time and effort goes to waste because the script was average at best.
>>
>>68974519

>tfw tripping acid with your gf as you ride a ferry late at night in the middle of a summer and a rainstorm erupts over the sky and it's the most beautiful thing you've ever witnessed

feels pretty good I must say
>>
>>68974519
>tfw you did all sorts of teen love stuff
>>
>>68974750

This just isn't true though. The script captures the cadence of real conversation remarkably well. Moments of dialog sound awkward in the mouths of children because sometimes children sound incredibly awkward when they speak. The conversation between Mason and his dad in the bar right near the end of the movie is one of the best written sequences in Linklater's career.
>>
>>68970496
It's a generic movie about a kid growing up. It has nothing to say, it's quite literally a movie you watch about a kid growing up.

Kid has a deadbeat step-father? That's ok, it's now 1 year later and he's playing video games. Now it's a year later and he's drinking beer with his friends, now it's a year later and he's smoking weed with his friends.

It's neat to watch considering I'm the same age as the guy so in a way it was almost like watching myself grow up so that was kinda cool.
>>
had to split it into two watching sessions because it felt like a 12 hour running time
>>
>>68974885

It's a movie that tries to show you that there are moments of beauty and transcendence in even the smallest of moments and in even the quietest of lives. I'd say it's an incredibly ambitious movie actually.
>>
>>68970496

>the only reason people don't like 12 years a sham is some vast hivemind groupthink and only original thinkers such as myself can see through the ignorance of the masses and see it's true artistic value

Take an example from the movie and grow up snowflake.
>>
>>68974902

you can't get through a 12 hour running time in one session? literal pleb.
>>
File: patricia-arquette.jpg (33 KB, 330x500) Image search: [Google]
patricia-arquette.jpg
33 KB, 330x500
HNNNG
>>
>>68970496
How long did it take to film this movie?
>>
>>68974885

What this anon said. >>68974923

Maybe Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is more your speed.
>>
>>68974954

the only place that doesn't like Boyhood is this board you dumb fuck. it was universally acclaimed, well-liked even by normies to the point that at one point it was leading the Oscar race, and it did very well at the box office. None of this means anything of course but don't try to pretend the embarrassing /tv/ disdain for Boyhood extends beyond this crummy board.
>>
>>68974923
Looking to deep into it, what were these moments of transcendence and beauty?

I can only think of the Ethan Hawke trying to be a decent father scenes. The kid never has any real conflict that isn't resolved in the timeskip we never see.
>>
>>68975015
Sorry Richard, your movie may have taken TWELVE YEARS but that doesn't make it ambitious and a masterpiece.
>>
File: Film-director-Richard-Lin-007.jpg (20 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Film-director-Richard-Lin-007.jpg
20 KB, 460x276
I love Linklater
I think Boyhood was a cool experiment, a less cool movie

I'm not going to hate him for failing to deliver a masterpiece. The marketing and Oscar hype set certain expectations for the film, but it really was a pretty low-key project

I will have to rewatch it in 10 years and see how it affects me then. I think it is a film that will be better appreciated as we age, because of the way it documented the culture

Besides, he more than made up for it with Everybody Wants Some
>>
>>68975030

>op's thesis is that it's a meme to dislike the movie
>you prove it's a meme to like it

Which is it? You can't rail against it being popular to hate while championing it as being popular to love. Try thinking your troll thread out next time.
>>
>>68975036

I'm sorry, but I detect the sound of a STEM person. For some reason you guys have a disease whereby you think art does not communicate anything unless it explicitly tells you that it is doing so. Linklater's entire career is about time and how it's possible to appreciate moments as they are occurring when we are so frequently consumed by the things in our past or troubled by future anxieties. Boyhood is about the possibility of embracing the present moment. Actually I lied, the movie does spoonfeed you this idea in its very last lines as Mason finds himself experiencing an incredible moment.

There are plenty of moments of beauty sprinkled through the film though. The gorgeously romantic sequence between Mason and Sheila on the roof of the parking garage at dusk as a Yo La Tengo song drifts on to the soundtrack. The moment when Mason's dad monologues about a Wilco song as they drive through Texas's gorgeous scenery on the way to a bonding moment at the water. The closing moments of the movie. Etc etc etc.

You're just a pleb mate.
>>
>>68974519
You never experience sitting beside a girl talking to her? Damn, this board is fucked up
>>
>>68975125

I am not the OP though you dumb fuck.

It is a meme on this board to hate this movie. The issue is that the meme was so successfully pushed that anyone who went in watching the movie just thought of the 12 YEARS bullshit and hated it. What was hilarious was when you all embraced Birdman unironically, which has to be one of the most laughably bad "serious" movies of the last couple years.
>>
I literally got up from my seat in the theater as he was driving off to college, only to find another 20 minutes of bullshit meandering to close it out.

I did really like the movie, but that last college portion was really really really unnecessary.
>>
>>68975036
>Looking to deep

In this instance you would want to use "too." You're showing how seriously anyone should take your opinions, anon. All of growing up is conflict, all of life. The film showed that. I'm sorry that any narrative without robots or superheroes doesn't resonate with you, anon.
>>
>>68975237

Nope. It's one of the best stretches of the movie.
>>
>>68975321

DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>68975362

Jeeze I never thought of it that way. Come to think of it, you may be right. What a shitty last section of the movie!
>>
>>68975166
>Boyhood is about the possibility of embracing the present moment. Actually I lied, the movie does spoonfeed you this idea in its very last lines as Mason finds himself experiencing an incredible moment.

Thanks for admitting that. Good message, but horribly and awkwardly delivered. The scenes that were the best, like you said are the ones with great music from Wilco and Yo La Tengo and it's only because it's Wilco and Yo La Tengo.

The story is generic for a purpose but too generic to be considered a masterpiece trying to say all of these thought-provoking things. The closing moments are dumb as fuck. Let's take some psychedelics, walk around nature and "live in the moment maaaan" all while not looking like they've never consumed caffeine in their entire lives, let alone mind altering substances.

>>68975268
>In this instance you would want to use "too."

Thanks for that, my sentence was incomprehensible until you corrected me. Oh course somebody's opinion is in direct correlation with their tendency to misspell words on the internet.

You've got me there and your projections are hitting way too close to home for me to form any kind of adequate response.
>>
>>68975413

glad you see it my way
>>
>>68970496
>I'm not surprised that a bunch of fat guys who talk about B-movies and capeshit didn't like it.

Funny, considering plebs who've only seen B-movies and capeshit would consider this movie a masterpiece. The same media that's calling Civil War the best movie of the year was the one sucking Rick's dick due to "muh 12 years". Any critic not preoccupied with capeshit and oscarbait simply dismissed this movie as a pleasant coming-of-age story smeared bya gimmick. As far as oscarbait went that year, Birdman and The Fox Hunter were much, much better.
>>
>>68975440

I love when people think scenes set to music are only good because of the music used. The music is a part of the filmmaker's decision-making process. Certain songs were in tandem were certain scenes. This is why some directors are so revered for their ability to match music to image in a way that heightens the impact of both.

And no, those scenes are not only good because of their music, especially because Wilco really aren't very good.
>>
I still think it's one of Linklater's best.
It worked not just as an experiment or "gimmick" but as one of the best of Linklater's vignette-style films. I liked how Mason was basically the "lens" through which we saw the family until he became a teenager. I think that's necessary in portraying the teenage years when he does become kind of an ass, like we all did.
>>
>>68975602

Actually one of the most amazing things about Boyhood's critical acclaim was just how widespread it was. It's one of the only films in recent memory that united critics in the mainstream and those who usually live in the arthouse. That's what Linklater movies are so good at doing. They're accessible to plebs and yet still manage to appeal to people actually into film.

It's okay that you're an angry pleb, do not fear. Go watch The Revenant perhaps? It might be more your speed.
>>
It's a pretty cool concept bit the execution was average at best. The only good thing in it was Ethan Hawke. I mean, nothing happens really in the movie. It's just the kid mumbling and grunting all throughout. There was nothing going on and it just ends. The ending was the worst part. On the hands of a more capable director and writer it could've been a true gem.
>>
>>68975663
>I love when people think scenes set to music are only good because of the music used.

Because in my opinion that's the only thing that made the scenes anywhere near great when they had nothing else to offer.

>The music is a part of the filmmaker's decision-making process.

Oh jeez, tell me more. I was unaware of that.

>Certain songs were in tandem were certain scenes.

Oh really? You sound like some kind of film-expert. Is that really true?

>This is why some directors are so revered for their ability to match music to image in a way that heightens the impact of both.

Man you do know a lot.

>And no, those scenes are not only good because of their music, especially because Wilco really aren't very good.

And you call me a pleb? Kill yourself.
>>
>>68975744
>It's one of the only films in recent memory that united critics in the mainstream and those who usually live in the arthouse.

[citation needed]

Show me "arthouse" critics that liked Boyhood that didn't like Birdman.
>>
>>68975744
>go watch Batman v. Superman
>go watch The Revenant
>go watch *insert bad movie here*

Those are some excellent criticisms you have there.
>>
>>68975817

>he thinks Wilco is a patrician band

Literally one of the first bands you get into when you start listening to music.

Is there any form of art that you have good taste in?
>>
>>68970496
I don't watch capeshit and I thought this was shit
>>
File: 1457594971936.png (13 KB, 202x184) Image search: [Google]
1457594971936.png
13 KB, 202x184
>>68975873
>one of the first bands you get into when you start listening to music

How far up your own ass are you? Why don't you tell me what some "good" music is before you start shitting on a band your God Linklater absolutely adores.
>>
>>68975873
>>68975967

Wilco is dadrock for the hipster generation.
>>
>>68975987
Not going to even answer the question or some up with valid criticism? Nice one.
>>
>>68975817

Wilco is crap, man. It's just pop for people "too hip" to listen to mainstream pop.
>>
>>68975834

Reverse Shot named it the best movie of the year and gave a bad review to Birdman. The founder of Reverse Shot is one of the main contributors to Criterion and the website is partnered with NY's Museum of the Moving Image. Reverse Shot's contributors frequently write for Cinema Scope, Hazlitt, and Granta (hopefully you know these publications or else your plebdom is beyond all reason).

Cinema Scope, who hardly ever give respect to any American films, included Boyhood on their list of some of the best movies of the year in which it was released. The same publication savaged Birdman.

Amy Taubin (surely you know her?) for Artforum (another publication that rarely likes Hollywood) had Boyhood listed as the 2nd best movie of the year after only Goodbye to Language.

Tinymixtapes included Boyhood in their top 10 of the year. No Birdman mentions again of course.

Wesley Morris of Grantland also included Boyhood in his list of the top movies of 2014.

Kay so now what will your rebuttal be?
>>
>>68976038
>continues to dodge the question
>>
>>68976019

It's boring toothless indie rock with a mildly experimental twinge, but that slant is so subtle and minimal it may as well not even be there. It's music so bland and plain sometimes I think Jeff Tweedy himself is lullabying himself to sleep while singing. If your favorite band is Wilco, you're probably just a boring person. Sorry bud. Maybe explore deeper into the genres you like to find some more worthwhile acts.
>>
>>68976019

Why do you guys think you're only talking to one person? I am the original guy that talked shit about Wilco and now two other people have joined in on that. Stop assuming only one person could ever disagree with you.

And I love Linklater to death but he has crap taste in music and he knows that. He openly discusses the fact that he has hardly any familiarity with contemporary music at all. He is almost exclusively into dadrock. I mean the dadrock he likes is usually pretty good but he's hardly someone who knows music thoroughly.
>>
>>68976098
>It's boring toothless indie rock with a mildly experimental twinge

Is that criticism?

>but that slant is so subtle and minimal it may as well not even be there

Is that criticism?

>It's music so bland and plain sometimes I think Jeff Tweedy himself is lullabying himself to sleep while singing

Is that criticism?

>If your favorite band is Wilco, you're probably just a boring person.

That's just not nice, anon.

>Maybe explore deeper into the genres you like to find some more worthwhile acts.

Do I have to ask for a third time what more worthwhile acts are?

>Why do you guys think you're only talking to one person?

Because /tv/ is one person you fucking idiot.
>>
>>68976038
>>68976098
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot's good, I liked Star Wars
Wilco's not bad, man
>>
>>68975095
This anon nailed it. Thread over
>>
>>68976186

You're right, they're not bad. Wilco is just so middle of the road that they really in no way deserve the praise that is hailed upon them.
>>
>>68970496
FUCK OFF
Load of shite
12 years to tell a fictional story doesn't mean shit.
They story doesn't develop over 12 years.
It's impressive but doesn't help the story
The story is still mediocre, because it was written as a script, not a 12 year exercise in film making
>>
>>68976185
Those were criticisms. What do you think a criticism is?
>>
>>68976239
Nobody in this thread is hailing them, you're just going on a diatribe against someone that said they happen to enjoy them.
>>
>>68976319

I didn't say anybody did. But they are objectively hailed by music critics you retard.
>>
>>68976342
We're not music critics you fucking retard so maybe direct those rants somewhere else.

>>68976185
>toothless indie rock so minimal it makes me think Tweedy is trying to lullaby himself to sleep

Sure.
>>
>>68976375
You probably like the mountain goats too you nu-male faggot. I would slit your fucking throat if I saw you in irl
>>
>>68976445
Whatever you do for the fourth time, don't name a singular band better than Wilco. I'm interested.

The Mountain Goats are for faggots.
>>
>>68976480
I only listen to black metal and grind-step
>>
>>68976524

Deadhaven is not black metal
>>
File: patty2_article_story_large.jpg (142 KB, 1012x675) Image search: [Google]
patty2_article_story_large.jpg
142 KB, 1012x675
Lol people are raging over fucking Wilco in a Boyhood thread. Never change /tv/
>>
File: 1444319450340.jpg (80 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1444319450340.jpg
80 KB, 460x276
>>68976524
>angsty 16 year old detected

No but seriously.
>>
>>68973765
high test Patricia Arquette yummy
>>
>>68976544
Deafhaven are awful.

>>68976591
I like a lot music, anon. This isn't my myspace page.
>>
>>68976733
>still too embarrassed to post his shit music

Pathetic. I can only image what you look like considering you listen to those to steaming piles of dogshit.
>>
>>68975217

With the rise of autism, bullying, and mental disorders, is it really so hard to believe that a boy can grow up without having any positive experiences with a girl ever?
>>
>>68976769

Not that guy but here is just a number of bands better than Wilco that appear in my recently played:

Joanna Newsom
Swans
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Stereolab
Spiritualized
Destroyer

are all way, way better than Wilco.

Wilco had a couple pretty good though overblown albums a long time ago and then entered a long period of sucking that continues to this day. Let it go.
>>
>>68976965
>rise of autism and mental disorders

More like the rise of "diagnosed" mental disorders and autism. Do you know how much money these people make off prescribing people these "miracle drugs that you can't live without?"
>>
>>68970496
Everybody Wants Some!! was so much better than this overblown project
>>
>>68977058

Certainly not. It is definitely great though. Linklater is hitting one of his peaks right now.
>>
>>68977007
>Joanna Newsom
>Wolf Parade

Both good but nope.

This smug aura of superiority you people cast over others with different music tastes is pretty pathetic, man.
>>
>>68977124

If you think Wilco even approaches Joanna Newsom then something is the matter with you. And you didn't comment on the other bands, does this mean you agree that they are better?
>>
>>68977154
Wilco and Joanna Newsom aren't even comparable. Two completely different musical styles. I don't know how seriously I can take some of her songs knowing they could be about Andy fucking Jewberg. She's amazing though.

I don't listen to the other bands.
>>
>>68977124
I mean, when you are superior, is it really wrong to cast that aura? Plebs are the scourge of the earth. You should be rounded up and gassed.
>>
>>68977310
Nah, superiority correlates to political views and philosophy, not musical taste.
>>
I'd rather watch yi yi senpai
>>
>>68977310
For example, let's test this now.

Which of the three do you support:

Sanders, Trump or Clinton?
>>
>>68977642
Sanders, obviously.
>>
File: 1459980105519.gif (833 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1459980105519.gif
833 KB, 200x150
>>68977776
Figures, he probably gave that extra digit away and gave it to someone else.
>>
>>68977777
>>
>>68977642
Well, in practice neither, but in theory, Sanders I guess. I don't take much stock in what politicians say, so I'm not too engaged. But, now that Sanders is likely out of the race, I've started looking at Trump more favorably.
>>
>>68977776
>>68977979
>in theory
>Sanders

Please be fucking joking.
>>
>>68978112
Are you triggered?
>>
>>68978236
Socalists, Marxist-Leninists and communists do trigger me.
>>
>>68978266
Why is that? Capitalism is proving just as ineffective.
>>
>>68978328
Capitalism is the only system that works. It doesn't work for people that don't work for it, i.e lazy Marxist shitbags who want free things and entitlement when they can't even explain why anybody is entitled to anything.

How is Capitalism proving to be just as ineffective? Wealth inequality? Social disparaging? What?
>>
>>68977642
>>68977776
>>68977817
>>68977979
>>68978112
>>68978236
>>68978266
>>68978328
>>68978469

what the fuck is going on in this thread?
>>
>>68978469
>Capitalism is the only system that works

The fact that your so dogmatic about this lends evidence to why your taste in art is bad, because your perception of the world is so rigid and without nuance of imagination. To put it in 4chan terms, you sound incredibly cucked.

>It doesn't work for people that don't work for it

If you want to waste the best years of your life doing stupid shit so you can get money to buy more stupid shit, that's your bag, man. My beef is not about capitalism vs. socialism, it's about the way extreme consumption has taken over our lives. There's a reason why Americans are so fucking fat.

>Wealth inequality?

Yes. The Panama papers have shown without a shadow of a doubt that wealth does not trickle down, and that we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy. Not that we needed them as evidence really.
>>
>>68978785
>If you want to waste the best years of your life doing stupid shit so you can get money to buy more stupid shit, that's your bag, man

It's called working, and it's what makes your country what it is. The fact that this concept totally escapes your empty cavernous of a skull doesn't surprise me.

>he believes in the Panama papers

That's right, eat up any old dogshit you pick up on the side of the road.

>There's a reason why Americans are so fucking fat.

That has nothing to do with anything, it's the 21st century. If you traveled the world outside of your own bedroom you'd realize EVERYONE is fat.
>>
>>68979445
Holy shit you're hilarious. Okay, you know where /pol/ is. Enjoy your meaningless sub-human existence.
>>
>>68979836
>he thinks wealth is made on trees

It's made from trees, which are cut down by people who earn a salary, who use that salary to pay for things, which in turn pays a salary to someone else and so on.

This seems evil to you?
>>
>>68979910
>He thinks its okay for the exchange of goods and services to incorporate corruption, greed, and war.

Nigga, you blind if you think everything is a-okay with the state of the world.
>>
>>68980100
>everything's bad and evil!!!

Nigga you living a world of fantasy and unicorns. Corruption, greed and the ability to conduct warfare are all traits of humanity.

Grow up, get a job, raise a family and fuck off you pathetic leech.
>>
>>68980189
Stay cucked, my man. :)
>>
>>68978328
Lol whew lad
>>
>>68980518
You're an idiot. Have a good one.
>>
File: 1459883853052.jpg (155 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1459883853052.jpg
155 KB, 700x714
>>68980518
>Marxists on 4chan

I thought this was only an epic may may
>>
File: 1457401666639.jpg (95 KB, 498x432) Image search: [Google]
1457401666639.jpg
95 KB, 498x432
>>68980189
>Corruption, greed and the ability to conduct warfare are all traits of humanity.
>>
>>68981088
If they weren't there wouldn't be definitions for those words. What is wrong with you?
>>
>>68974519
Its surreal if it is someone you care for but it is also soul crushing when it doesn't work and you reminisce of that moment in time
>>
>>68981088
>Ideals are stupid! I'm too lazy for self-improvement!
>>
this movie made me feel bad because I wasted my teen years on the computer
>>
>>68981426
It leaves a bitter-sweet feeling don't it?
>>
>>68981426

Which is why I refuse to watch it, I feel like it would be the last straw before I blow my brains out. Watching the movie "Kids" was bad enough.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.