[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the first season of GoT feel like a comfy slightly campy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: robert.png (326 KB, 439x578) Image search: [Google]
robert.png
326 KB, 439x578
Why does the first season of GoT feel like a comfy slightly campy 90s classic fantasy, and then the rest of the seasons feel like grimdark edgy modern trash
>>
Because S1 actually bothers to follow the book
>>
The first season was setting up the show that they weren't going to do. Ned dying is the ultimate rejection of everything good about fantasy.
>>
File: 1462064030658.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462064030658.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>68956100
Season 1 Episode 1 ends with a small child being thrown from a window by a man fucking his twin sister to what appears to be his death.
>>
>>68956100
I've been talking for the last year or so about how Disney-Marvel, Star Wars and the "comfy" movie trend is going to retroactively turn people against things like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Seems it's coming to fruition.
>>
>>68958237
Now that you mention it, Arya really ought to have been played by Kat Dennings.
>>
>>68956152
the books are trash

show > book
>>
>>68956100
I don't feel like you and I are using the same definition of campy.
>>
>>68958237
Elaborate? What exactly do you mean?
>>
>>68958237
elaborate pls
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVfIFrpslI
>>
exactly like walking dead first season
>>
>>68956100
S01 was carried by capable actors + what >>68956152 said
>>
>>68956152
>>68958709
Does this mean that the rest of the books are as good?
>>
This could have been the greatest show ever if they just based the entire thing around the first book and kept all the season one actors, killing one per season instead of one every couple episodes.
>>
>>68956152
the books are trash
fuck off
>>
>>68958237
Top lel
Disney themselves are riding the edgy/feminist/political bandwagon with shit like Maleficent and Snow White & Huntsman
Edgy is the new mainstream
>>
>>68958390
>>68958361
GoT started gearing up around the time when "grimdark" was starting to die down as a cultural trend. It was when the Dark Knight Trilogy was coming to a close, and the same year as Avengers debuted. I think the late 2000's were kind of a crossroads in terms of the dominant pop culture trends. The mid 2000s were almost all grimdark and serious in terms of genre movies. You had stuff like Batman Begins, 300, Sin City Dark Knight, Watchmen, and all that noise. Back then movies like Fantastic Four and Daredevil, even the third Spider-man didn't do all that well. It wasn't until the Marvel Studios movies came along that things started to shift a bit. Iron Man did well, then Incredible Hulk came out (a bit darker and more serious) and that didn't do well, so Marvel decided that their tone was going to be more like Iron Man.

The Avengers movies started to do super well, all with the lighter tone. And that has become the dominant trend. People seem to want fluffier and lighter entertainment from their genre stuff. I think people are starting to look at the more serious stuff like Game of Thrones differently than they did five years ago.
>>
>>68958932
Snow White and the Huntsman is not a Disney film.
>>
GoT was always "grimdark," which is the buzzword obese neckbeards use to describe anything of high quality. It was never even remotely campy... you're retarded.
>>
>>68958237
Comfy is just a 4chan buzzword that doesn't mean anything.
>>
they went off book and started pandering to the fanbase
>>
>>68958741
Yes.
>>
>>68958961
And yet Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy still destroys anything Marvel ever made. The only objectively good thing Marvel has had going is Iron Man.
>>
>>68956100
>90s classic fantasy
wat

In the first season we had the two best actors to ever be on the show (Mark Addy and Sean Bean) and the most focused plotlines (Ned working out the political intrigues of King's Landing and Dany coming to power in the east) with hints of other stuff developing along the sides.

The following seasons had to follow 15 shitty plotlines carried by weaker actors, also D&D were starting to become emboldened by the success of the first season.

First season did look much better though, maybe they tried harder or something, you didn't have as much lazy bullshit like leather jacket Jaime and every KL scene being set in one of two parts of that garden.
>>
>>68958995

It's one of the only 4chan words that does actually mean something: comforting. Moron.
>>
>>68958961

youre an idiot. the show is more popular than it ever was with new fans pouring in every day. Its literally the most popular most talked about show in the world now
>>
>>68959270
Lmfao nah /v/eddit
>>
>>68959299
>popular than it ever was with new fans pouring
Wrong. It is less pirated than it was last year, but there has not been a substantial increase in viewership overall.
>>
OP is just mad that they killed off Ned Stark.

My only gripe with GOT is them continuously killing off characters. At first it was shocking and new and revolutionary, but then they killed too many off and basically wasted all of the main storylines we were invested in, leaving only the sub character storylines who hadnt had as much character development. It feels like theyre trying to do too much with too little amount of time. I mean if you really look at the story of kaleesi, its been 6 seasons and she hasnt achieved a single fucking thing. I dont see how she is supposed to bring an entire army over to westeros when theres only 1-2 seasons left.
>>
>>68958174
Wait... Bran has freckles? THE FUCK?
>>
File: charlie.png (86 KB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
charlie.png
86 KB, 264x240
>>68959304
You're an absolute imbecile.
>>
>>68959368
is this a new may-may?
>>
>>68959353
The problem isn't that they killed too many, it's that they were done solely for shock value and didn't mean anything.
>>
>>68959393
wat?
>>
>>68959390
>le always yelling /co/mblr show
DUDE I THINK I'M ON THE WEIRD PART OF /v/EDDIT RN
>>
>>68959401

yea like the red wedding. was the most pointless thing ive ever fucking see/read in anything ever. it was shocking but so what? what did it achieve? it ended an entire storyline we had been following along as the main storyline from the beginning. it closed off a huge portion of the story. noone ever got revenge for it. they keep saying the north remembers but who the fuck cares? we havnt seen the north do jack shit and the story is almost over now. the lannisters are fizzling out, even though they were the original main villains. its like george martin has a.d.d. and is trying to just write a fictional history of some land instead of tell us a story. cuz whatever story he was trying to tell has long since faded away. everyone has pretty much given up on anything ever resolving.

and seriously, its just looking like the white walkers are going to destroy everything and all of it will have been a huge pointless waste of time.
>>
>>68958741
As a whole yes.

It gets boring in some parts, for instance Bran chapters. But the boring Bran chapters are when the seeds of all the mysterious stuff get planted, so you appreciate it afterwards.
>>
>>68959505
Freys are probably going to die for it. Manderly lost family in the wedding and is almost certainly planning to fuck their army in the ass when they march out to face Stannis, whose current predicament of being stuck in the middle of a blizzard is hinted at being a strategic choice to fuck the Freys through holding a good position.
>>
>>68956152
The first book is also the only good book
>>
File: k.png (733 KB, 790x870) Image search: [Google]
k.png
733 KB, 790x870
>>68959569
>It gets boring in some parts, for instance Bran chapters.
Welp, you can literally go die in a fire, famiglia.
>>
>>68959604
on the show stannis is presumed dead though (i still dont believe hes dead though since GOT never shys on showing gore). the majority of his army is wiped out. we literally had to sit through hours of excruciatingly pointless bad Stannis scenes with that HORRID music for nothing. that makes me so pissed off there arnt even words.
>>
>>68959647
>the show
I only watch that to laugh at it here now. GRRM might be a slow, lazy and overrated fuck but he knows how to put together a proper story. Song of Ice and Fire's gotten out of hand in size and he's struggling but each thread is clearly working towards some kind of conclusion.

D&D on the other hand strike me as the types who never touched a book again after high school and consider Tolkien irrelevant after Jackson's movies. They clearly don't know what they're doing and are using GRRM's work as a base to build a retarded edgy soap opera.
>>
File: image.jpg (673 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
673 KB, 1920x1080
>>68958961
>the third Spider-man didn't do all that well
>>
>>68959505
Are you daft? Have you actually read the books past the red wedding?

Because there are 2 groups which are out to murder every last Frey alive: the Brotherhood without banners (lady stoneheart) and the entire North.

Stoneheart has been hanging every Frey they have come across in the Riverlands, and there is a very large chance they will infiltrate the upcoming wedding in Riverrun and murder everyone there.

And several northern lords, especially Manderly, are out to kill every Frey in the North. Again, there is a very large possibility that Manderly killed several Freys already and made pies out of them.

How is that not revenge?
>>
>>68959505
Actually, I think the Red Wedding was a stroke of pure genius.

It completely changed the power dynamic in the book, and it is the main mark on the timeline of the series that everything before and after compares to. It's that pivotal to everything else, plot-wise.

From a non-plot perspective, it also reifonforces the theme that Martin has been pushing throughout the whole series that in the real world, fairy tale endings don't happen. You don;'t just break treaties and betray trust for "true love" and get away with it in a real political scenario.

It also emphasizes to the readers/viewers that literally no one is safe. Ned Stark's death showed that GoT was different from most shows/books, and that main characters could die. The Red Wedding showed that GoT was different from most shows/books, and that main characters would die--and they would die a lot, if and when they fucked up or crossed someone or just got unlucky.

It truly was a genius stroke on Martin's part. I just wish he'd followed it up better. I understand that Tywin had to die, because he was such a shrewd ruler that the book series would be over at that point if he actually lived and was able to keep governing, but it still bothers me that all the magnetic characters died or vanished following the Red Wedding, and we were left with shitters like Cersei.

Also, most of the Freys responsible are dead/dead men walking, and the other conspirators aren't in much better shape
>>
>>68959801
>>68959804
>the book
this isn't /lit/
>>
>>68959804
There was no 'true love' though. What got Robb screwed was trying to emulate his father's sense of honour. The Lannisters counted on this and set a trap for him, don't you remember that his mother-in-law was paid by them to push her Robb and her daughter into a situation that would lead to sex, knowing that Robb would then marry her and screw up his relationship with the Frey's.
>>
>>68959569
the fourth and fifth book are fucking GARBAGE and you know it
>>
>>68956100
What people like about this show:
>sex and nudity
>violence and strong males
(Khal Drogo as the peak of human masculinity)
>original story telling
(normally you watch a show and you say "oh I know what's going to happen next" because of tropes, GoT isn't like that)
>good characters
(there's a character for everyone, and they normally have strong motivations)

Now whether the story is actually good or not is up for debate. I personally think the story moves very slowly, but they try to keep your attention through the sex, fighting, etc.
>>
>>68959972
>sneks
>>
>>68959801
both of which were cut out of the show, making the entire red wedding a pointless cheap shock for the sake of shocking the audience.

>>68959804
i agree the power dynamic change was interesting, but the followup was terrible. after killing off a huge portion of main protagonists, they just killed off all the main antagonists then and left the show as a shill of its former self with nothing but sub characters who had nothing to offer.

at this point we were left with stagnating storylines like arya starks road to becoming an assassin (which shes still farm from accomplishing), sansa starks useless uselessness, stannis's useless pile of shit of a storyline, khaleesis useless storyline that hasnt progressed in 6 seasons (and god knows how many pages of book were wasted on her shit storyline). The only actual character still leading the storyline after that was Jon Snow, who they killed off. Theres no way jon is dead though. If he is truly dead, that would mean wed have no viewpoint of anything going on in the north anymore, which is like pretty much what the entire story is about lol
>>
>>68960105
Oh, I did not understand you were talking about the show's red wedding.
And I agree. Some old lady saying "the north remembers" and then getting murdered is a pretty retarded way to handle the aftermath of the red wedding, which is supposed to shock and outrage the entire kingdom.
>>
>>68959647
The Stannis theme is literally the best in the entire show. Kill yourself pleb. I bet you like muh orchestra muh ebin geriatric John Williams who hasn't made anything good since the 90s.
>>
>>68960259
>which is supposed to shock and outrage the entire kingdom.

No one gives a shit about the Starks outside of the North. In fact most people ridicule them for their MUH HONOR beliefs.
>>
>>68958174
Mah Branfu was so cute. Eh... Imagine his moist boypussy :(
>>
>>68960105
Hello Jonautist.
>>
>>68956100
It all went down hill when they killed Ned Stark
>but but he dies in the boooks

No it was retarded and stupid to kill Ned.
>>
>>68959505
>its like george martin has a.d.d. and is trying to just write a fictional history of some land instead of tell us a story.

It's why I'm into ASOIAF, really. I'm more interested in the politics of it all and shit, but I'm more into 'hard' stories that resolve realistically and if a cunt gets into power and manages to keep it, then that's just how life works. But I'm also not a millennial nor was caught up in their culture so fairytales don't interest me very much.
>>
>>68961722
>muh Ned

He was a shit character that was too caught up in muh honor to know how to survive anywhere outside of his frozen wasteland, and even there he had Boltons flaying people right under his nose. He tried to play with the big boys and got just what he deserved.
>>
>>68960105
>that would mean wed have no viewpoint of anything going on in the north anymore, which is like pretty much what the entire story is about lol

It's not though. Stop being dumb Marcus.
>>
>>68956100
looks like a soap opera desu
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.