[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got back from my second viewing of EWS. I have to say,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: everybodysmall.jpg (581 KB, 800x1245) Image search: [Google]
everybodysmall.jpg
581 KB, 800x1245
Just got back from my second viewing of EWS.

I have to say, I am very impressed with this movie. Such a feel good film.

I am most impressed with the dialogue. It just seems so natural, no awkward film try-hard comedy filler. Feels like you're actually just watching some college baseball assholes roast the shit out of eachother. I could do without the love interest, feels forced, but that's pretty much my only gripe.

If you haven't seen this movie, I highly suggest you make a move quickly. If you are going in expecting to see Dazed and Confused Pt. 2, you'll be dissapointed. That's only because while it's a "spiritual sequel" I only found the common ground to be Richard Linklater's name. Discuss, any thoughts on this movie?

Solid 8/10
>>
>>68948940
Those three blondes with mustaches look like they'd all be the same character/character type
>>
>>68948970
Nope! Even though it's somewhat breif, each character has their own personality and really feels like they contribute their own role onto the team and into the film as a whole. Also have to give props, as some of the actors in the movie, akin to Dazed and Confused, are acting in a feature for the first time.
>>
>>68948940
How plebby is it?
>>
>>68949019
none plebby
>>
>>68949019
Zero pleb, 100% bro-tier
>>
is there a decent rip out yet
>>
>>68948940
Im tired of white people
>>
>>68949275
can't say, but I know there's a limited release so catching it in a theatre may be hard, but honestly im happy i got to see it twice on the big screen
>>
>>68948940
I doubt it will give me that nostalgic feeling DaC did, but I will give it a try
>>
>>68948940

I have seen it 3 times and I think it's the best movie of the year.

I really love the love interest plot, what about it do you not like? It's very reminiscent of Before Sunrise to me. I love so much how the movie is completely filtered through the perspectives of the characters in the sense that it feels like this is the movie they would make. They're so confident and view college as this transformative, incredible experience, which in many ways it is, and so Linklater makes us feel like that while we watch it. These guys feel so confident and filled with life in their youthful state and so we as an audience get to feel that along with them. And Jake has a youthful romanticism about him (especially given his taste for Whitman and art in general) and so we see this totally utopian relationship develop over a weekend.

Linklater has to be one of the best directors around when it comes to filtering his movies through his characters' perspective.

I really think it's a fucking brilliant movie desu, already becoming one of my favourite comedies ever.
>>
>>68949345
As an incoming freshman to university this summer, i feel like when i watch this in however many years, i may get the nostalgia factor, but it depends on how Uni was for you, and/or if youre going in this year or already in
>>
>>68949363
Hmm, I don't know, I just feel like if the romance had been left out, the film would feel unchanged personally, but that's just me.

Also, after watching DaC, I felt like it didn't need a sequel but after EWS, I just want to see more and more.
>>
>>68949525

I really love their scenes together though. That moment when they're on the river together right before the first day of class is so beautiful and romantic. I think Linklater wanted to make a movie that touches on a lot of aspects of the college experience so including a romantic first relationship makes a lot of sense. I understand where you're coming from but as a giant Linklater fan I would say he never indulges in shoehorning useless romantic shit and I don't think that's the case here either.

Have you seen other Linklater movies that you've liked outside of this one and Dazed?
>>
>>68949630
I can't say I have, so maybe I'm not in the clear to critique.

But okay, I do have to agree with you! just the break of dawn floating in the pond, that was a great great shot!
>>
>>68948940

How do you not find this movie similar to Dazed and Confused?

I think they're extremely similar.
>>
>>68949679
hmm, it feels more "extroverted", for lack of a better term
>>
>>68949676

Oops, I didn't mean for my last comment to come off as saying you have no right to critique the movie because you haven't seen his other stuff! I was more curious because given that you haven't I really would recommend that you get around to watching some. A lot of his movies have a really great energy and they're often filled with moments of beauty like that scene on the river we already discussed.

Have you seen the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy?
>>
>>68949704

I could see that. I think it's like taking the football player group from Dazed and centering the movie around them but with added confidence and even more sexuality.

They're definitely different movies but I think "spiritual sequel" makes sense as a descriptor.
>>
>>68949777
nice get, and i agree!
>>
>>68948940

agreed Op, couldnt wipe the smile off my face for the whole movie
>>
>>68949019
It's Linklater so it's all pleb, all the time. Trite observations masquerading as "UNIVERSAL TROOTHZ". Boring characters, in a boring setting.
>>
>>68949976

>Linklater
>pleb

pleb detected
>>
>>68950004
>director hasn't made anything worth watching since Slacker
>anything but pleb tier
>>
I can't stop thinking about this film. I loved it so much and I can't wait to see it again. Favourite of the year so far.
>>
>>68950052

anyone that doesn't think Before Sunset is a masterpiece needs to immediately commit suicide
>>
>>68950079

I really hope Linklater does a commentary when it gets released on blu ray. His commentaries are great.
>>
>>68950052
Bernie was a great movie
>>
>>68950285

don't listen to him bro, Linklater has had an amazing career. he's made one of the best children's films of all-time (School of Rock), the best trilogy of all-time, one of the best animated movies of all-time (not to mention being a part of pioneering a new form of film animation), two of the best stoner comedies of all-time, one of the most ambitious depictions of growing up ever attempted, and then a handful of low-key but very strong small movies (eg. Bernie, Me and Orson Welles, and Tape)

he's one of the best
>>
>>68950397
Me and Orson Welles is so underrated. Maybe it's just because I love theatre but I found it very comfy. Plus Christian McKay's performance was astounding.
>>
>>68950515

I think it's great too. McKay's performance is really pretty astonishing, I can't imagine someone depicting Welles better.

Also I don't really like the word comfy but I think that is basically the definition of Linklater's kind of filmmaking. All of his movies are so laidback while being absorbing.
>>
this thread made me happy
>>
I dont care what you think you fucking nobody.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.