[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wil Wheaton is here to explain to all you cis white manbabie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13
File: ww.jpg (66 KB, 1003x808) Image search: [Google]
ww.jpg
66 KB, 1003x808
Wil Wheaton is here to explain to all you cis white manbabies why Star Wars The Force Awakens is so great. He's on the right side of history, boys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHckKckhBYc
>>
>>68921681
Shut up Wesley.
>>
>>68921681
Holy shit what a massive faggot.
Am I the only person who recognizes when they're being pandered to and get my jimmies sufficiently rustled by it?

Even then I don't say anything. But this faggot is in full circlejerk LOOKATME LOOKATME mode. Holy fuck I hope he dies in a fire.
>>
>>68921681
Who?
>>
>>68921681

It's like he's regressed into a happy, yet rebellious teenage girl.
>>
>that hair
jesus what a cuck
>>
>>68922472
He's always been that way anon.
Also he's even a cuck who adopted one of his wifes two children.
>>
If this wasn't a Star Wars movie, nobody would give a shit.
>>
>>68921681
Not watching that.

His face reminds me of someone or something now but I can't tell what. All that fat that's collecting on his cheeks and jowls is unsettling me, he's skinnyfat incarnate.

>>68922472
Pandering is bad in all forms, it's why I got sick of Sam Hyde and MDE. When they're just doing some absurd shit to make fun of california culture or the movie industry I don't mind but Sam seems to be constantly going full 'outcast autists are all supergeniuses who will inherit the earth #CAN'TSTUMPTHETRUMP' mode every other video to the point where it's off-putting. He's becoming 4chan:the human being.
>>
in b4 baby men call him a cuck
>>
File: 1447896188264.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447896188264.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>68923154
Heavy-Weapons guy, why aren't you pushing the cart? We need your tankiness and the medic's nearly got uber.
>>
>>68923154
Baby men is the type of insult a 12 year old girl would come up with.
>>
>>68921681
Please give the cliff notes version so that I don't have to give Wesley any views.
>>
Objectively the weakest actor in stand by me
>>
He's a nerd like me!
I am going to subscribe to his channel :)
>>
>>68921681
The thing about liberals is that even when they're technically right they can't help but articulate their correct views in the most sanctimonious way possible. All he had to say was "if you're too concerned with every new Star Wars movie having a female lead, just remember that the previous 6 had male leads." That's it. Don't treat the people you're trying to convince like scum.
>>
What has he done besides play that little faggot in star trek
>>
>>68923291
Well put.
>>
>>68921681
that cunt destroyed every tng ep he was in. Why in fuck would anyone want to hear what he has to say now?
>>
>>68923232
You're just a poo-poo head
>>
why does wil wheaton have to ruin everything? I heard there is a magic the gathering doc and of course wil wheaton is hosting it

>>68923291
ok but female leads are shit
>>
>>68923294
He was the main little faggot in Stand By Me.

>>68923291
If you're thinking about movies in terms of the gender of the lead you're not only technically wrong, you're also a giant faggot who needs to stop having opinions. I refuse to believe that anybody who truly appreciates film in any way cares about this shit.

>>68923343
He latched onto the Bang-Bazooper theorem crowd. The kind who like the idea of Star Trek but will never actually watch it.
>>
Women didn't give a fuck about star wars or any other nerd shit until corporations created geek culture.
>>
>>68923241
Hard strawman.
He pretends to regurgitate the same old script of "fuck women! I can't believe they're ruining star wars!" and then the backgrounds change and he goes on a tirade of how Lucas actually ruined star wars and these movies are big and beautiful and its absolutely necessary to share them with womankind.

He "mansplains" via the charicature radfems think exist when commenters get wise that Rey is pretty thin for a main protagonist or that all the jokes in the Ghostbusters trailer fell flat.

He's bought into the narrative and I'm sure he's gonna be making money ad nauseum.

The most disconcerting thing about it all is I have to believe that on some level NONE of these twats even believe the left rhetoric as insanely as they portray themselves, but they're certainly willing to whore themselves in a panderfestival of patreon.
>>
>>68923371
>If you're thinking about movies in terms of the gender of the lead you're not only technically wrong,
I don't care that much, but this would only be the case if men and women were indistinguishable and interchangeable, which is a fallacy that a lot of lefties buy into. Some movies with female leads would not work with male leads, and vice versa.
>>
>>68923154
>2 posts already calling him a cuck b4 your inb4
You just got cucked
>>
>>68923505
>but this would only be the case if men and women were indistinguishable and interchangeable, which is a fallacy that a lot of lefties buy into.
If only. The modern "progressive" opinion is that male and female are identities you choose, not physical traits.
>>
>>68921681
who the fuck is this?
>>
>>68921681
when will he finally kill himself?
>>
Shut up Wesley.
>>
>>68923505
I'm not saying that we should ignore gender, it's clearly there and clearly influences the whole film. The problem is people treating casting like some kind of scoreboard, and collect grievances to dump on people who just want to make shit, telling them that they're unfair unless they balance out Hollywood's collective karma by doing whatever they say.

>>68923456
>Lucas actually ruined Star Wars
I thought the video was just ragging on sock-puppet MRA caricatures. I can't believe that I hate Wheaton magnitudes more than I did when I entered this thread. Star Wars was Flash Gordon with flashy effects and an anime-tier mythology lifted straight from entry-level eastern stuff. The prequels retained the adventure field while pushing the technology further than ever before and attempting to introduce more depth to the story to make it function greater as a whole. The reputation of the Original Trilogy is absolutely insane, they're treated like untouchable classics of storytelling when they're just adventure movies with cool effects and generally neat filmmaking.

I'm not alone here either, critics Dan Schneider (not that one, a real critic who was praised by Ebert and is also a literature critic) and Armond White both reached these same conclusions as the movies were coming out. Fucking OT faggots need to be forced to present a real fucking argument already. If anybody ever says that they like the prequels the best response that can be expected isn't above 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME?' tier.
>>
>>68923585
There's a contradiction at the heart of modern gender politics: the differences between men and women are the result of cultural indoctrination (i.e. men are more likely to be scientists because society discourages women from entering STEM fields), and that transgender people identify as the opposite gender despite that indoctrination. Only one of these can be true.
>>
File: 1461147743026.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1461147743026.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>Trying to defend Ghostbusters

God what a cuck
>>
File: Armond.png (788 KB, 1444x2869) Image search: [Google]
Armond.png
788 KB, 1444x2869
>>68923706
>Armond White
Not disagreeing with you but lol
>>
>>68923799
I actually intended to put (lol) in brackets after mentioning his name when his Revenge of the Sith Review came to mind and I decided to include him but I forgot.

Pretty much all of those review segments there are clever and on point.

>When all these bland Marvel Comics franchise movies blur together in memory, it won't prove that they amounted to one great epic master narrative, but that they're all indistunguishable

Who else could say that?
>>
>>68923623
Hopefully soon
>>
>>68921681
Shouldn't they get a man to mansplain things?
>>
>>68923799
Fuck yeah Frost/Nixon sucked.
>>
>>68921681
I'm not totally sure why he thinks he's still relevant, but ok
>>
>>68923865
I mean, I think his criticisms are pretty spot-on, but his manner of speaking is so needlessly purple that it's obnoxious.
>>
>>68923706
I will admit that while (to me) the prequels aren't "good" movies I do still enjoy their existence in their current state and think they'll be landmarks of what Lucas was going for.

He didn't want to keep remaking ANH or Empire, he wanted to take the biggest thing he owned and legit try something DIFFERENT with each one. He's also not afraid of putting his personal politics in them. Those movies could not have existed in their current form without having 9/11 and the Bush Admin as backdrops of inspiration. His references are also all over the place.

When OT came out, they were homages to Flash Gordon and other Adventure Serials like you mentioned. But its a fair fucking criticism to say of Force Awakens that there is NO reference, NO homage, NO reverence for ANYTHING except for OT Star Wars.

It's like everyone went to the M. Night Shamyalan School of Not Getting It.
>>
>>68923706
People can cast their movies by whichever criteria they want; whether it be political or aesthetic. If JJ Abrams wants more black people in his movies, then that's his prerogative. The only issue is when people criticize films made in majority white countries as being "too white," or when people criticize a film about a male-dominated industry like The Wolf of Wall Street as sexist. But that's district from what Wheaton is arguing, which is that bitching about a female protagonist in Star Wars after 6 male-lead movies doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>68923799
He's literally right most of the time
>>
>>68923931
his lack of relevancy to anything is the longest running joke IRL
>>
File: 1439752367003.jpg (34 KB, 424x480) Image search: [Google]
1439752367003.jpg
34 KB, 424x480
>>68921681
>that subtle blue dye in his hair
He's finished
>>
>>68923931
BIG BANG THEORY BRO
>>
File: 1460546124344.png (929 KB, 1024x1133) Image search: [Google]
1460546124344.png
929 KB, 1024x1133
>>68923934
>>68923956
>>68923961
>three (you)s in a row
I knew this would be a good thread.
>>
>>68923956
>I will admit that while (to me) the prequels aren't "good" movies I do still enjoy their existence in their current state and think they'll be landmarks of what Lucas was going for.

I agree with this statement. I enjoy them and believe they're better than 7 in every sense.
>>
>>68923961
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
WE
>>
RUN
>>
POZ
>>
EVERYTHING
>>
>>68923799
What do the tomatoes and green splat mean?
>>
File: Wrong.png (58 KB, 511x323) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.png
58 KB, 511x323
>>68924009
Nice try, faggot.
>>
>>68921681
It still blows my mind that Star Wars has become a vehicle for social political arguments.

I remember when only kids and fat nerds liked this shit, and everyone else thought it was either lame or "alright, but nothing special"
>>
>>68923961
Personally I think the biggest issue with the protag in rogue one isn't that she's a female, but that she looks like, basically, Rey 2.0: A plucky widedeyed rebellious young girl who others inexplicably like and somehow very skilled but with a heart of gold and for some reason the key to everything.

By contrast, Luke, Anakin and obi wan are very different characters.
>>
why have nu males taken to putting a splash of blue/pink in their hair?
>>
>>68924136
I think when most people went off to have kids of their own- of course they still "like star wars".
I'm talking about my parents, your parents, anon's parents. I'm pretty sure the older generation likes star wars- but something happened to them that hasn't happened to my generation. All these parents grew the fuck up.

They had me, you, anons of their own. They bought houses when the market was great for doing so. Bought cars, paid for everything, paid for schooling etc. They still "Like" Star Wars and likely went and saw 7 because of Ford's stretched out face all over it because it was also marketed for them- but they HAD LIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.

They could give a fuck less what anyone thinks of SW. Or whether it has a "cultural impact". After a certain point it was expected of them to pursue grown up things and leave stuff like SW to the plastic mold injected toys I opened on Christmas mornings.

Do I enjoy talking about Star Wars? Of course. It was a big part of why I liked movies as a kid which evolved into why i like movies now as an adult. But I have a job, a car, a place to live, women to engage with, hobbies to pursue and basically live my life how I want to.

Some of my hobbies may be considered juvenile, but I don't let myself get infantalized with the delusion that "Star Wars is IMPORTANT".
>>
>>68924257
shes an imperial agent or gets turned to become an emperors hand i hope
>>
>>68924279
premature midlife crisis
>>
>>68921681
testosterone deficiency is treatable.
>>
White males can't gfto from Star Wars though. I'm sure that if white male demographic would decide that they won't be going to SW movies because of female protagonists that will be the last time we ever see Rey. Niggers and nerd gurls won't carry this franchise by themselves.
>>
>>68924378
Emps Hands are canon again or is this Disneys take on Emps Hands?
>>
>the word "mansplain"
Opinion discarded
>>
>>68924324

Holy shit that is inaccurate as fuck. Get over yourself, kid.
>>
What's with his hair?
>>
>>68924257
You can only make the argument after you've seen the film. We don't know her character yet.
>>
>>68924527
Make me
>>
>>68924635
The patriarchy fucked his shit up for daring to defy them.
>>
>>68921681
>comb-over to hide the receding hairline
pffhaha
>>
>>68924646
We don't know her character yet, sure. But from what they've decided to show- the connections are obvious:
-Thin, brunette, light eyed British woman with British accents.
-Tough fighters, don't need no hand holding.
-Some baggage that we as the audience are going to have to deal with.

My biggest fear and the RO trailer seems to be confirming that new Star Wars is ape-ing YA novel/movies.
>>
>>68924712
>My biggest fear and the RO trailer seems to be confirming that new Star Wars is ape-ing YA novel/movies.
You didn't pick up on this in 7 and what they've done to the canon since acquiring SW?
>>
File: 1402829801603.jpg (26 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1402829801603.jpg
26 KB, 512x512
>>68921681
Westley is a balding cuck.
>>
>>68924911
I didn't realize Jane was going to be the main protagonist. I thought it was legit going to be more of an Oceans 11 type cast. Yeah maybe she was more the centre of it... But that everyone else really sold it and that they'd be useless without the team.

Could still be what's going on. But not how they marketed it. I don't watch any of the Disney cartoons because they all look terrible.
>>
>>68925066
>I thought it was legit going to be more of an Oceans 11 type cast

I can see how you'd think this, as to some extent, the original trilogy focused plenty on Han, Leia and Chewie, as well as Luke. But as we saw in TFA, having a group of equally useful companions detracts from the godlike female lead.

Notice how in TFA, Rey didn't need saving once. For example when they went to the enemy ship to free her, and they found she had - conveniently - just broken out herself. Or how she ended up saving Finn when the bombs were dropping instead of vice versa. This draws the spotlight far more onto her, and makes Han, Finn, Chewie and even Kylo as far to the side as side characters can be.

I expect the same shit for RO. Especially because as OP's video displays, the complaint most people had with the movie has been misinterpreted as a sexist retaliation.
>>
>>68924712
>light eyed
Daisy is a chocolate-eyed qt
>>
>>68923560
kys SJW cuckfag if you believe in it too
>>
>>68923291
>The thing about liberals is that even when they're technically right they can't help but articulate their correct views in the most sanctimonious way possible.

The thing about the Alt-Right is that even when it's explained to them over and over and over in respectful or academic ways, they just quote mine or strawman the fuck out of it and ignore it anyway, while claiming a Cultural Marxist conspiracy all over academia and "WHY ARE YOU SO OFFENDED" When they are the ones who are in fact offended.

Perhaps the reason the reason "liberals" have become sanctimonious about it, is because they've spend decades being strawmanned by the right, not only online, but in politics and the media.
>>
File: 1350902703593.gif (744 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
1350902703593.gif
744 KB, 245x300
>>68925352
Its almost like both sides are equally retarded....
>>
>>68925352
This is another big problem liberals have: can't take criticism at all. The imperfections of your opposition do not suddenly absolve your side of all it's flaws, grow the fuck up you child.
>>
>>68925352
Are you on the alt right an in disguise? Because you literally just proved his point.

It's weird. I thought the left always stood up for the working man, the poor man, the uneducated man. But it seems the intellectual elitism of the left is just as arrogant and detrimental as the financial elitism of the right. Both claim to support democracy, but in reality care only about their purview of justice and not the peoples', for the left: immigration, for the right: TPP.
>>
>>68925352
The alt-right, which I'm not a part of, is a direct reaction to the excesses of left wing postmodernism. /pol/ wouldn't be calling women useless if liberals weren't writing think pieces denigrating men. They wouldn't say that women are useless at math if the Left wasn't arguing that male predominance in the field was due to sexism rather than inherent gender differences in spatial memory. The shitty Right couldn't exist without the equally shitty Left, but just because the opposing side is shitty that doesn't excuse poor rhetoric.
>>
>>68921747
First comment strikes again
>>
Is that Hitler's gay little brother?
>>
>>68921681
What does this guy even do these days?

I refuse to take a former child star seriously when their career didn't even take off
>>
/tv/ ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>68925621
He's a bloodsucking leech on the neck of nerd culture, and right next to him sits Felicia Day.
>>
>>68923961
>People can cast their movies by whichever criteria they want

I don't agree with this at all. Movies should never be affected by pandering or a contrived appeal to demographics. The reason Rey has rightfully earned her label as a 'Mary-Sue' is because there is nothing organic about the creation of her character. She was conceived in focus groups. Same for Finn, just to a lesser degree.
>>
File: WilAfter.jpg (85 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
WilAfter.jpg
85 KB, 950x534
>>68921681
What is the likelihood he has been denied sex on the reg?
>>
>>68925741
If we accept that many great works of art are great partially because of the political views that they articulate, why would political casting be so much worse than casting based off talent alone? I think the musical Hamilton is overrated, but I can see why they chose to have an entirely non-white cast; the race of the cast ties into the play's theme.
>>
>>68924117
I meant three people replied to my post you stupid faggot. Lurk before you post.
>>
>>68926041
You're missing my point, maybe I didn't explain well enough. I'm all for film makers including whatever they want in their art (to use the term loosely). Some of the greatest works of art across all mediums are infused with political and social influence, allegory and agenda.

My problem is when those decisions and that influence is taken out of the hands of the creative talent for the sake of money. Almost all of the decision making for TFA was conducted by suits to ensure Disney's purchase went as smoothly as possible. Studio executives do not believe in equality, they parrot it for money. That's what a character like Rey is: she's an insurance policy, a guarantee that a certain demographic is locked down.

In sharp contrast, Star Wars (1977) was a passion project for Lucas. He poured his own life, frustrations and ambitions into Luke. He even gave him part of his name. That's artistic vision.
>>
>>68924324
It's important because it makes tons of money. I'll bet Wheaton got a nice check from Disney after doing the video in the OP.
>>
>>68921681
WHEN THE NIGHT
>>
>>68924099
The tomatoes mean the reviewer hated the movie so much he wished he could throw tomatoes at the screen. And the green splat represents the reviewer shitting himself because he loved the movie so much he couldn't control his bowels.
>>
File: wilw_how_dare_you.jpg (144 KB, 568x1813) Image search: [Google]
wilw_how_dare_you.jpg
144 KB, 568x1813
>>
>>68926366
>My problem is when those decisions and that influence is taken out of the hands of the creative talent for the sake of money
That's making assumptions about the intent of the people who made the film. We can't possibly know, with 100% certainty, the reason why JJ and Kasdan chose to write Rey the way that they did. Whether the intent was political, aesthetic, or purely monetary.
>>
File: 1453489487361.jpg (86 KB, 513x310) Image search: [Google]
1453489487361.jpg
86 KB, 513x310
>>
Would you guys watch a star trek series with wesley as the captain?
>>
>Here's the deal... boys.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>68926580
He means they aren't real men like him
>>
>>68926479
I don't know enough autism-speak to read this shit. What the hell is happening?
>>
>>68926573
Yes.
>>
>>68926624
Just Wil being an asshole for no reason
>>
>>68926580
He means that only manchildren cry about films on the internet.
>>
>>68926624
Someone asked Wheaton what his contributions were (to something to do with gaming) beyond the 2 things they knew already, Wheaton took offense because he thought they were implying those 2 things weren't enough? I think....
>>
>>68925544
This.

Iv'e never cared about politics in my entire life but these faggots make you lean the opposite way. They're everything that they claim to hate, entitled, nasty people.
>>
>>68926526
>go jerk off alone you fucking nerd!
Do these people realize how much like 80s jocks they sound like?
>>
>>68926479

Why can't people just play video games and shut the fuck up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

>our culture

top kek
>>
>>68925544
>but just because the opposing side is shitty that doesn't excuse poor rhetoric.

It does

The pendulum has moved so far to one side that to counter their arguments with moderation would do the entire discourse a disservice.

If one side is saying "KILL ALL JEWS" and the other just offers us "What about just the ones in finance?", people forget how crazy "KILL ALL JEWS" is in the first place because the middle ground has shifted to an extreme, even if it isn't quite as crazy as the alternate

If discourse is equally extreme and ridiculous on both sides, people remember that there is a moderate middle-ground
>>
>>68923154
He literally is though. He takes care of his wifes kid
>>
>>68921681

Wewww

I can already see the needless subtitled 1 second tumblr gifs of a person talking now
>>
File: 1459277928717.jpg (15 KB, 342x386) Image search: [Google]
1459277928717.jpg
15 KB, 342x386
That self-righteous attitude is pathetic, how can this man be 45 years old, did he learn nothing in all this years?

Look, I couldn't care less if someone has a different viewpoint, even if he is just basically strawmanning, it's not the end of the world, but that pretentiousness and sassiness of Will is bordering the clinical hysteria and makes any civilized dialogue impossible.
>>
>>68923291
Tripfag not being a faggot for once.

However, I think you're missing the fact that these people, on some level, know damn well that her being female is only a tiny part of the backlash.
They have to get the pre-emptive strawmen in there quick to shout down the other issues people have, such as her lack of meaningful character flaws, etc.
>>
>>68926942
The pendulum has only swung that far on like 3 spots on the internet, most of which consist of ironic shitposts. Unless you're posting on stormfront, chances are you aren't genuinely calling for genocide. It's a provocation made by 16 year old boys intending to trigger the type of people who take modern gender and identity politics seriously. The "serious" voices on the alt-right are pretty fucking far from antisemitic.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.