[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Man In The High Castle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (24 KB, 314x468) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24 KB, 314x468
Just marathoned the last few eps of this kino show.

Anyone else here who's seen it?

I am confused with the finale ending.
>>
I've just started watching it. 3 eps in and it's pretty hammy, but worth watching for the title sequence alone. Love the concept
>>
>>68917911
They say this is based off a book yet the book is only over 200 pages.

No spoilers but i know they are making a second season.. so will they do a GoY and come up with stuff that wasnt in book?

Because the entire first season would barely fit into a 240 page book.
>>
>>68918021
GoT*
>>
Obergruppenfuhrer Smith and the Japanese Trade minister are the only good characters on the show.
>>
>>68917911
Yeah I wish the show used more landscapes of the city but you do see bits and pieces sparingly.
>>
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 454x324) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 454x324
>>68918061
I love those 2 and btw: Obergruppenfuhrer did nothing wrong
>>
>>68917560
What's to be confused about? Old Man Hitler is a hero for stopping the extermination of millions of inferior Asiatics.
>>
>>68917560

"A glimpse into an alternate history of North America. What life after WWII may have been like if the Nazis had won the war."

This makes me interested. Don't know if it is worth watching. I'm starting Bloodline.
>>
>>68919354
Yes it is very worth watching anon.
>>
>>68919042
Its about rebels and nazis trying to track down old 1940s films that show the "different history" i.e. our history.
>>
>>68918021
Yes, a book by Philip K. Dick.
>>
I enjoyed it, but the trade minister and the obergruppenfuhrer were the best characters by far. Juliana and Joe were shit.
>>
File: TGSNTtv-Background.jpg (53 KB, 727x409) Image search: [Google]
TGSNTtv-Background.jpg
53 KB, 727x409
pretty enjoyable, great cinematography.

I'm a sucker for old sci fi and fantasyclassic books like Starship troopers, Ender's game, poul anderson and Frank Herbert stuff.
>>
>>68917560
Meme show. Meme content. Only redditors will disagree.
>>
>>68918021
It's really vaguely based on the concept of the world and few characters.

Story doesn't have much in common
>>
>I am confused with the finale ending.

It's heavily implied there's Alternate Dimension shenanigans going on. Multiple tapes show the allies winning the war like in the real world and others show another timeline where I THINK Stalin dies later but nazis are still in Europe, perhaps a prolonged war or the defeat of the soviets.

There is a huge glaring possibility that the Trade Minister's aide (Mr Kotomichi) is a Dimension traveler. He says he's from Nagasaki (which Mr Tagomi saysis a beautiful city, having never been nuked) yet Kotomichi has radiation burns on his arm..

There's definitely some supernatural stuff going on and I think Mr Tagomi has actually passed between the veil in the ending, but we'll have to see. I'm 50/50 on the supernatural turn. I love it as a simple "what if" series but if they do the supernatural stuff well then I'm fine with it
>>
>>68922720
>Radioactive burns

Wait, what?
>>
>>68917560

>I am confused with the finale ending.+ 0 post omitted.

The existence of Parallel Universes with an alternate chain of events is heavily implied from episode 1, all through the entire series.
Tagomi just accidentally found a way to travel between them.
>>
>>68922759
About 20 minutes into Episode 8. Check it out.
>>
>>68922853
Huh, haven't noticed that. I can't check now, but thanks.

I thought He had heart attack and our world was just what he saw dying
>>
>>68923759
How did you even infer that? He's meditating in public with no signs or any foreshadowing.
>>
>>68924112
Dunno, mayby I just can't into chink expression
>>
Like most science fiction it is heavily racist towards Asians
>>
>>68924185
I like it cause apart from the fact it's well-written and engaging and the acting's good.. it's a western production that shows the Axis powers as being somewhat grey. Granted, it's mostly for the japs, but it does show Nazis can be sensible and loyal and loving and "normal".

Needs more Nazi grey areas, we need motherfucking ROMMEL to make an appearance.
>>
>>68924234

It is a trend in science fiction to show places run by Asians to be impoverished, seedy and less technologically advanced compared to more "white" places that are cleaner, higher up the social ladder and more economically ahead while the only fault of a white place is that they are too "safe" and "boring"
>>
>>68924234
>Rommel

Is he even alive?
>>
Okay. Davalos is hot. No question about that.
Since her bad acting in Riddick got my dick hard I'm glad to have some new stuff to fap to.

The show really has its moments. Especially the Obergruppenfuhrer Smith and the neutral zone stuff. The latter gives the world a more vivid touch since you couldn't just control everything and anyone.
The arc of the jewish guy wasn't really compelling. It just got overshadowed by trademinister- german guy plotting.
Oh yeah and the kempetai officer character was really engaging. Good writing on this subject.
>>
>>68924330
The Marshal was GOAT
>>
>>68924330
:^)
>>
>>68924320
Yep, he's mentioned in the first or second episode as banter by DJ Qualls in a bar. He's old and retired though.

>>68924310
I don't mean grey as in cleanliness of the streets you dingus, I meant morality-wise.

The nazis are very strict, open about their ways and there's no bullshit or emotion tied to it. The Japs are more psychological, a lot more in the shadows with the secret police schtick. Life under the japs doesn't seem so bad until you realize you're treated like a third class citizen and any sort of suspicious behaviour gets you chucked in a basement to never see the light of day again (unless its the muzzle flash of a firing squad)
>>
>Smith mentions getting wasted on polish vodka

wat? Why would he touch subhuman filth?
>>
Based ObergruppenfĂĽhrer Smith.
>>
>>68924430

The Nazi world is portrayed as a more or less perfect world (everyone is well dressed, flag waving patriots, lawns are maintained etc)

On the other than people on the Japanese side live in shitty basements, lucky to even have a job, they are technologically behind, you have to do sexual favors to a yellow peril stereotype just to stay employed, the streets are roamed by the "soulless Asian" soldiers and in fact the only people to even gas Jews in the show are on the Japanese side

Hell even Davalos' character has no real motivations for doing anything other than "what if we weren't ruled by a different looking people"
>>
>>68924185
What's wrong with this?
>>
>>68924558
welp on nazi side there are crematories, tortures, militia in brown shirt with clubs, situation with Smith-junior and consciousness problems of SMith and his fat spy bro
>>
File: hitler_smile.png (322 KB, 400x637) Image search: [Google]
hitler_smile.png
322 KB, 400x637
>mfw the man in the high castle IS Hitler
>>
>>68924628
Red herring, he's not.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (15 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
15 KB, 400x299
>>68922720
>Raditation burns on his arm

Holy shit. If this show is truly a combination of alternate history and multiple realities, I'm so fucking pumped.
>>
>>68924612

Yet the Nazi side is shown as a more of less "perfect" American world that is free of "subhumans" and "degenerates", the crematoriums, secret police and brown shirts are just the maintainers of that society

On the Japanese side everything sucks on top of the torture and secret police
>>
>>68924735
welp jap side sucks for non-japs. Just as nazi side probably sucks for degenerates and subhumans, we just never got to see their side.

Frank would never be allowed to live on nazi side
>>
>>68924804

Way to miss the point there retard.
>>
>>68922720
Well he does have burns indeed, but why radiation connected?
>>
>>68924735
Yeah but at least you can have other races living there, even with disabilities, without much trouble. The japs gas the jews because its mandated by a flimsy law to appease their german allies they don't care to follow half the time, only when it suits them. I mean for the CHIEF INSPECTOR to not give two shits about them being jewish or not, it shows you how little respect they have for the nazis.
>>
>>68924848
then show me it, dick
>>
>>68924868

You are still missing the point that there is a trend in science fiction to show places with Asian influence to be inferior to "white" places

And yes it is a stereotype for a robotic Japanese man to just gas a mother and her kids with no feelings because of something like a trivial treaty that is in no way enforceable.
>>
>>68924867
Good TV and Film storytelling means any relevant plot points, future or current, need to have some form of foreshadowing or mentions. It's part of what makes good writing "good". Kotomichi says he is from Nagasaki. When Tagomi says it is beautiful, Kotomichi doesn't visibly react.On top of that, the way he gives Tagomi a pick-me-up speech implies he knows more what he lets up. He tells him he is "a good man, perhaps too good for this world".

This might seem an innocent statement but seeing the other 2 hints as well as the knowledge that there IS alternate reality shenanigans going on, it's a clear hint. Unless its a red herring. Kotomichi may be from OUR timeline or he may be from others still.
>>
>>68924941
chinks ARE filthy and souless tho

it's an issue of culture, not the race, mind you
>>
i have like a 3/10 grasp of german at best
and the BUTCHERY that is the theme song infuriates me greatly
>>
>>68924982
i like your theory
>>
>>68924941
Oh sorry, I'm a different guy. I actually quite agree with you on the stereotype subject. But that said, all stereotypes have an element of truth. Japanese people do tend to be very robotic and have done horrendous shit with no real issue in the past.
>>
>>68924384

man fuck you

>ywn share an intimate moment with alex
>>
>>68925009
Thank you. It just stood out to me. I can't wait for Season 2 to find out though and I DEARLY hope it doesn't jump the fucking shark. That's why I'm worried about the alternate reality stuff, cause once you introduce the supernatural element, shit can go real cheesy real fucking fast. I seriously hope they don't find some way to travel through dimensions anytime they fucking please or have the shit like "We developed a portal that allows us to invade OTHER REALITIES!". Basically pulling a Warlords of Draenor..
>>
>>68925106
>tfw Patton never died in that crash and was just drafted to inter dimensional anti kraut war
>>
>>68917560
>show
>show
>show

show < series < programme < telévision

RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>68925191
Ok THAT would be fucking hilarious especially if he's as boisterous and over the top as he really was. Something like Major Kong from Dr Strangelove.
>>
ITT: people who never read the book
>>
>>68925391
I did tho
>>
>>68925250
show < series < programme < telévision < Fernsehen
>>
Does anyone have an idea about what's up with the Joe's father?
>>
>>68924941
>we see everyday family life on Nazi side from perspective of high ranking SS officer
>we see everyday family life on Jap side from perspective of low life's from unwanted ethnic group

Sure it's different mang
>>
>>68925391
>/tv/ - Television & Film

Bookfags are the worst.
>>
>>68917560
>tfw no one likes mr. childan
hes the best character in the book
>>
>>68926884
He's fun in the show. Not exactly likeable, but interesting for a weeb scum .

I hope to see more of him .
>>
>>68926884
>>68927233
I fucking love Mr Childan. When he sperged out calling a jew a filthy gaijin I just cracked the fuck up.
>>
>>68917560
Is hitler confined to an asylum like in the book?
>>
>in the novel, Grasshopper Lies Heavy was a book, it was entirely plausible that it was only a work of fiction

>in the show, it was a movie reel and definitely not doctored since it was impossible in the era so from EP1 on you already know it's a real alternate universe

blew it
>>
>Le Nazis are bad meme
When will it end?
>>
>>68929058
>confirmed for not watching the show
>>
>>68925106
>Thank you. It just stood out to me
You just thought about it all by yourself or picked it up from previous threads? When it "aired" (when all the episodes got released) I pointed out the exact same theory. It was obvious.
>>
>>68929844
I thought about it myself, I love War History and most people the first thing they think about when they hear the words "Hiroshima" or "Nagasaki" they instantly think "ah, A-bombs". Usually Japanese people like that take great pride in their homes or country, plus it's Imperial Japan. When Kotomichi didn't really react in the way he thought I had a bit of a niggling thought since the showreels existing at all gave precedence to a supernatural element.

But it's not an uncommon theory. When I google'D my suspicions there were already a few people talking about it, so really its nothing special.
>>
11 22 63 was better
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.