[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A couple things that bother me about this movie: - humans apparently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Pacific_Rim_2_72558.jpg (81 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Pacific_Rim_2_72558.jpg
81 KB, 600x300
A couple things that bother me about this movie:

- humans apparently made Earth more hospitable to the aliens because of pollution? And it never comes up again in any way.
- the actual villains, the telepathic aliens, who could be removed from the plot and nothing would change
- Pentecost is such a huge cunt but nobody ever punches him the face
- I might remember this wrong but wasn't the jager program kept alive with chinese mafia money? Is anyone gonna get arrested for that since the aliens are dead and no new kaijus are gonna appear to interrupt investigations?
>>
>>68896121
>the actual villains, the telepathic aliens, who could be removed from the plot and nothing would change
They were the source of the problem. The fact that the kaiju were intentionally being sent through by bosses on the other side was necessary info to stop the problem.
>>
>>68896121
So the portal is at the bottom of the ocean, yet a Jeager can pass through it no problem? Why isn't all the ocean's water being drained into the portal as well? That much pressure would surely cause it to go through.
>>
>>68896174
The portal was said to only open when kaijus were being sent through.
>>
>>68896174
The way the Jaeger floated down seemed like it was water on the other side, presumably with equal pressure.
>>
>>68896174
Did you miss the part where the portal only allowed access for Kaiju genetic code?
>>68896121
-It was one line, a characters opinion at that.
-This has been dealt with.
-Chain of command
-I think you dreamed that
>>
>>68896169
But nobody CARES that the aliens exist. Did anyone at any point in the movie even go "Those damn aliens got my buddies killed, I want revenge!"? They plan to nuke the other side of the portal but it might as well have been fucking anything down there, stopping the kaiju, not the aliens, is the first thing in everyone's mind. Everyone's traumatic memories are tied to kaiju, every defeat is suffered at the hands of the kaiju, everyone's struggling to come up with ways to defeat the kaiju, why the FUCK are there aliens in the movie?
>>
>>68896369
Nobody knew about the portal aliens until after the first kaiju drift. Doesnt mean they aren't a threat.
>assblasted about aliens
Tiny genetic engineer aliens aren't much of a stretch from fucking gigantic interdimensional alien monsters.
>>
The fact that the kaiju only ever came from one place kind of neutered the conflict a bit.
Knowing exactly where threat is going to come from every time means they've done half the defensive planning for you already.
>>
>>68896778
That's a fair criticism, it's never really covered by the film.
>>
File: autism misbehaving.jpg (87 KB, 427x427) Image search: [Google]
autism misbehaving.jpg
87 KB, 427x427
>>68896369
>>
>>68897242
Really though, the aliens are completely unnecessary, the movie would've worked without them.
>>
>>68896896
I feel like script supervision is the real dead art in Hollywood
>>
>>68897552
I'm not trying to be the "dude shut your brain off" guy, but a movie about giant humanoid robots fighting giant interdimensional monsters is the definition of unnecessary.
>>
>>68897556

The whole movie is filled with internal inconsistencies. They say that "Kaiju Blue" the monster blood is toxic so they need to make big robots to pummel them, but we regularly see jagers with blade and energy weapons.

They say that conventional weapons don't work, but we can clearly see the chest missiles from the aussie jager kill the cat 5 kaiju.
>>
>>68897552
The movie is full of Aliens, the Kaiju.
You say it'd work without the smaller aliens who opened the rift and created the kaiju.
The smaller aliens were the ones controlling the Kaiju, so they were a threat too.

If you remove the small aliens, the movie just becomes "Kaiju happen, coz fuckit"
>>
>>68897639
I got into an argument with my friends over this very fact. I told them all I wanted to see was a movie with giant robots and giant monsters punching each other. I got what I wanted but those autists, who enjoy the fast and the furious btw hated it
>>
>>68897758
Yes, and they should just build a wall around the rift with auto turrets or just use Suface to Kaiju Plasma turrets on the beach and bipedal robots dont make logistical sense.

Like this guy said>>68897639
>>
Is one of the symptoms of autism a lack of suspension of disbelief?
>>
>>68897909
You really, REALLY, cannot over think this movie. I loved it but there are some obvious oversights that the viewer has no choice but to just ignore.

First example that comes to mind is when Chad & Chink (can't remember names) use a giant boat as a sword, then 2 minutes later pull out a legitimate sword that cuts the kaiju's head off easily. The only reason they would save that as a last resort is dramatic effect
>>
>>68896174
This was a huge plot point in the movie, how did you miss it?
>>
>>68898129
Well, yes. You and I agree.

Frankky I doubt they were oversights, I'm certain that it was Del Toro's intent to keep it stupid and true to the cheesy anime vibe he wanted.
>>
>>68898251
See>>68896226
>>68896250
>>68896313
>>
>>68897758
>They say that conventional weapons don't work, but we can clearly see the chest missiles from the aussie jager kill the cat 5 kaiju.
Missiles from mecha are not conventional.

Godzilla can shrug them off like nothing but when a Mechagodzilla shows up and fires missiles the they hurt.
>>
>>68896896
You know what's also never covered by the film? Why instead of building huge walking robots and creating a whole governmental program with countless resources tied to it, do they not just scrap all that shit, build bunch of bombs, and obliterate the kaiju as they come out.

>oh look, Jim, there's another one coming through the breach. Want me to do this one?
>Yeah, sure Bob, I can't reach the button, too busy reclining
>Ok, Bob
>presses button
>Kaiju get evaporated
>Cool, well, we're good for another week.

That would have been a boring movie.
>>
>>68898477
Yeah, we kinda cover that, if you read the thread.
>>
>>68896369

>these monsters are coming through a portal for some reason
>let's nuke the portal so that the monsters stop coming through
>wait, it looks like super advanced aliens are the ones that are controlling the monsters and opened the portal in the first place
>let's nuke the portal AND the aliens so that they can't do it again
>>
>>68898368
Noticed this too, I think >>68898264 has a point though.

It's like del Toro wrote the scenes he wanted first and worried about logic and everything else later. Which is fine given the atmosphere of the movie.
>>
>>68897552
Also, the aliens are such a small part of the movie that explains a LOT. It's low cost for high benefit. No they didn't NEED to be in the movie but it's objectively better with them in it. I don't know why you're clinging to this so hard
>>
>>68898537
I think anon is saying bomb them as soon as they come through, which honestly probably would have worked except for the massive damage this would inflict to the local habitat
>>
>>68898477
The smart compromise would have been to have some kind of uncertainty to when/where the portals would open and have the Jaegers be a rapid response weapon, but again script supervision is a dying art.
>>
>>68896778
>>68898477

I feel like a lot of these kinds of issues were very, VERY loosely explained by the fact that the intervals that the kaiju were coming through the portal were getting shorter and shorter, and the number coming through would be greater to the point where eventually it would be kaiju coming through all day erry day. Sure, to start you could potentially just set up a new nuke at the portal after dealing with each kaiju but that's not exactly a long term solution.

Like a lot of other people have been saying though, if you really try to think about this movie too much you can immediately tear it to shreds. Honestly, I get the feeling that Del Toro didn't actually want to plug up all those holes and wanted the audience to take the movie at face value.
>>
>>68898748
?
There were like 100,000 nukes at the peak of the cold war
You think its easier to build a giant fucking metal suit than a nuke?

Obviously it doesn't make any sense, but thats mecha at its core
>>
>>68898609
Anon was saying that'd be dull.
>>68898542
I'm >>68898264
I agree with >>68898368
And I'm glad you see merit to what I'm saying. I'm sure you're right that GDT made up scenes before plot, some he likely held on to since childhood.
>>68898748
>take at face value
This
>>
A thread where everyone ends up kind of agreeing with minimal shit posting.. where am i
>>
Can you all stop discussing the rationality and logistics of a power rangers movie for adults?
>>
File: 20160429_163351-1.jpg (2 MB, 1836x1865) Image search: [Google]
20160429_163351-1.jpg
2 MB, 1836x1865
>>68900014
Truffaut sums it up nicely
>>
>>68899839
Statistically it's bound to happen once in a while.
Faglord.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.