[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got around to watching this for the first time in preparation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: FWWM_US_poster.jpg (184 KB, 320x464) Image search: [Google]
FWWM_US_poster.jpg
184 KB, 320x464
Just got around to watching this for the first time in preparation for the new season, and it really was as bad as its reputation.

The events portrayed here are much better left to the imagination, as they were in the series. Actually seeing the drug use, nudity and violence are completely not in the spirit of the original episodes and showing them is a detriment, in my opinion.

I think the constraints of broadcast television were a great thing for Twin Peaks, and really were responsible for giving the show its style and feel. The fact that we never see the true darkness under the comfort and innocence of the Twin Peaks setting worked much better. I hope the new episodes are more in tune with the show than this movie even with the freedom of premium television.
>>
Lynch's masterpiece.
>>
>>68887498
Couldn't disagree more, and I think you've probably missed the point of the series, which is that underneath that "comfort and innocence" is a seething turmoil of emotion and passion and human frailty. Each episode progressively peeled back the layers of apparent civility to reveal the darkness lying at the heart of the town. Not that there isn't goodness there too, but the whole point of the black and white lodges is that sin and virtue lie together as bedmates. If anything, the movie has a caustic sincerity the lack of which inhibited the show.
>>
>>68887695
did you not read the OP's post at all?
>>
>>68887695

That was my entire point. The darkness, at least displayed so graphically, works much better when left to the imagination. Flat-out showing it is kind of tipping their hand and is bad for mystique. In my opinion, anyway.
>>
>>68887847

This. I didn't need to see Leland/BOB rape/kill Laura. I didn't need to see Bobby blow someone's head off or Donna getting her tits sucked. I have no problem with shit like that, it just doesn't work in Twin Peaks.

It's been a while, but was Bobby killing someone ever alluded to in the show? I always thought of him as someone who was more bark than bite. It just seems out of character for the doofus who was blowing a horn dressed in Civil War clothing.
>>
>>68888186
>It's been a while, but was Bobby killing someone ever alluded to in the show?
Yes. James tell Donna that Laura told him before she died that Bobby killed someone. He had to though, it was a drug deal gone bad.
>>
Movie would have been better if the whole thing was Christ Isaac and Keifer Sutherland solving a murder case in bizarro Twin Peaks, a land full of trailer trash, dickish cops and old and surly waitresses.
>>
>>68888186
Yes it was in the pilot or one of the earliest episodes. James Hurley said something like 'Laura said that Bobby killed someone' to Cooper and Truman in a interrogation. Seems like it was a plot point they forgot about, that Lynch picked up again in the film.
>>
>>68887498
Bad and "not in the spirit" are two different things. Even if you think it's not like the rest of Twin Peaks it's still well acted, with a good script and directing.
>>
>>68890297
Leave the David Bowie scene in, and I agree 100%.
>>
>>68890297

I agree. It would have worked better as a companion piece to the actual show. Laura's last week alive was something better left implied, and it's not like we got to see much of the rest of the Twin Peaks population we know and love anyway.

I thought Isaak and Sutherland worked well together, and it would have been nice to see Cooper's premonitions and the David Bowie stuff as a B-story along with Cole and Albert. Then both stories could have connected at the end.

Although, I guess they couldn't really call it "Twin Peaks" at that point.
>>
>>68890297
>>68890598
>>68890620

This desu senpai.
>>
>>68888186
>or Donna getting her tits sucked
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>68887498

Fire Walk With Me is an astonishingly good horror movie. If anything, it elevates the TV show through it's existence, rather than undercutting it. To put it another way, when I rewatched Twin Peaks the tv show after having watched FWWM, I took the tv show a lot more seriously.
>>
fwwm isn't supposed to be Twin Peaks The Movie

yes it has a completely different energy and i thought that was perfect in many different ways

ppl like u are gonna be rreeaall mad when season 3 comes out and david lynch reinvents twin peaks bc its gonna be nothing like the 1st &2nd season
>>
>>68890297
yea that would have been great
>>
>>68890902
>its gonna be nothing like the 1st &2nd season

I honestly doubt that. It needs to have some stylistic consistency. If it was a reboot I would say otherwise, but they built an entire world and it would be stupid to change the rules of it now.
>>
>>68890902
this

It annoys me to hear people complain about Fire: Walk With Me, when 100% of the time it boils down to "It's not enough like the TV show, wahhh!"

Just view it as a David Lynch film and separate from the show and you'll realize what a masterpiece it is. I tear up every time I watch it
>>
>>68891183

It's not separate from the show if it takes place in the same canon, though. That's the problem. I know it's kind of an autistic thing to be concerned about, but the argument has merit.
>>
>>68891183
It's the tackiest shit ever. The ending is only beautiful if you're culturally and emotionally retarded. Such a display of bad taste is almost criminal.
>>
for the millionth time, the main reason why FWWM shows the story of Laura Palmer is because it was meant to be the first film in a series, and they were trying to make the movie appealing to a general audience, not just Twin Peaks fans. You can't just make a film series to a show without recapping some stuff, and Lynch decided to recap things in an interesting way. I actually think It's probably David Lynch's best film. Sheryl Lee's and Ray Wise's performances are so god damn amazing that it makes it impossible for me not to love this movie, plus this movies contains some of the best music from the series and I find every moment of this movie haunting. When Laura Palmer walks into the Roadhouse with Julee Cruise singing "Questions In A World Of Blue" and Laura Palmer sits down, weeping because she knows that she's in too deep, I can't help but get fucking sad and chills down my spine.

also
>inb4 someone says that the movie ruins Bobby's character of the murder when they mention the murder in the show...
>>
It could be just me, but I think this is one of the rare movies based on a show that doesn't work if you haven't seen the series and also doesn't work if you have. By far the worst thing Lynch has ever done.
>>
>>68891225
>It's not separate from the show if it takes place in the same canon, though.
We're talking about a David Lynch movie here. The guy has made movies of fucking deleted scenes. More Things That Followed, the Blue Velvet deleted scenes and FWWM The Missing Pieces. For all we know, the new season of Twin Peaks will ignore the movie.

>>68891227
>It being revealed that Laura Palmer achieved piece at the end of her life
>tacky
I really hate to imagine what you consider good taste because the ending is so beautiful. The entire movie is basically David raping the last sense of innocence in the Twin Peaks word while having it be reborn at the end.
>>
>>68891395
*peace not piece

It's hard to have discussions when you haven't slept it 24 hours
>>
>>68891227
>The ending is only beautiful if you're culturally and emotionally retarded
Fuck you too buddy
>>
>>68891395

>For all we know, the new season of Twin Peaks will ignore the movie.

There's really not much for it to ignore. The content depicted in the movie was pretty much all alluded to in the show, the film was presented in a vastly different style.

I could be missing something, but the only thing in FWWM that gives us new info relevant to the show is when Annie appears and says the good Cooper is trapped in the black lodge and the ending itself, which make too much sense not to remain canon.
>>
>>68891453
you spun?
>>
Is there a fan edit of FWWM with all the scenes from The Missing Pieces spliced in? I feel like a lot of people would have enjoyed FWWM with those more light-hearted bits left in.
>>
>>68887498
FWWM is a marvelous film.

You're like that old grandpa complaining about things not being the same.
>>
>>68891610
A version exists, though it is missing some material from The Missing Pieces that the guy who created the fan edit, couldn't re-edit into the main film without messing up the narrative
>>
>>68891610
>>68892323

Is there a way to watch The Missing Pieces online?
>>
>>68890470
at that early point in the show, the viewer thought of Bobby as a punk who may seriously have been implicated in Laura's death. It was a romance mystery trope that Lynch plays with throughout the show. He didn't forget.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 500x374
Next year brings new Twin Peaks and president Trump. Has the future ever looked so bright?
>>
>>68887498
You're just a fucking faggot. FWWM is fantastic.
>>
File: giphy.gif (928 KB, 499x250) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
928 KB, 499x250
Fucking great film.
>>
>>68888186
>or Donna getting her tits sucked.

Shut your whore mouth, those tits were excellent
>>
File: tumblr_ln4rljJsmH1qboja0o1_500.gif (485 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ln4rljJsmH1qboja0o1_500.gif
485 KB, 500x275
Look at how cryptic and quirky my movie is!
>>
>implying that the only reason Lynch didn't purposefully insert scenes of sex and violence to split up the soap-opera parody and for jarring contrast was because the show was on broadcast television
>>
Watch the fanedit with the missing pieces put back in
Some irregularities, like Laura having her father revealed to her twice, but otherwise perfect
>>
File: twinpeaks4-1024x565.png (396 KB, 1024x565) Image search: [Google]
twinpeaks4-1024x565.png
396 KB, 1024x565
According to writer Robert Engels, he and director David Lynch originally conceived this film as the first in a series of of films exploring the mythology of the Black Lodge. To that effect, the two inserted four characters as "outs" with which to continue the story: Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan), Agent Phillip Jeffries (David Bowie), Major Garland Briggs (Don S. Davis) and Agent Chester Desmond (Chris Isaak). The critical and box-office failure of this film, however, caused Lynch to abandon any plans for sequels.

>tfw no david bowie twin peaks movie
>>
>>68887498
>I think the constraints of broadcast television were a great thing for Twin Peaks
Season 2 was far more graphic and violent than anything in FWWM.

FWWM obscured the killing of Laura Palmer. Twin Peaks showed him fucking beating the shit out of Maddy.
>>
>>68895810
Sheryl Lee was supposed to re-appear as a third character too, on top of Maddy and Laura.

I guess it was going to take place around the trailer park with the first set of Chalfonts.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.