[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has it aged well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: Pacific-Rim.jpg (239 KB, 649x960) Image search: [Google]
Pacific-Rim.jpg
239 KB, 649x960
Has it aged well?
>>
>>68851003
Yeah, it came out like two weeks ago right
>>
Yes. It's my favourite movie of 2013. Kaijukino at its finest
>>
File: Striker Eureka.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Striker Eureka.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>68851003
Yeah. Can't wait for the sequel. I'm looking forward to how they top Gipsy vs. Otachi, as well as what other quirks/roles they give to the Jaegers.
>>
this movie really fucked up by not killing off all the boring jaeger pilots ASAP, and instead having Ron Perlman and Charlie team up to build their own shitty homemade jaeger and save the day
>>
>>68851003
honestly yeah
I didn't like it much when I first saw it and now I'm actually pretty fond of it
>>
>>68851295
>>68851003
It will be revered as a classic
>>
This movie really shows why that Scarlett Johansson GitS thing is stupid. People won't go see a movie without a big name in the lead. That aussie and the Japanese chick just didn't have the draw they needed to make it a big success.
>>
>>68851003
Kino in its purest form.
>>
>>68851470
People would rather see Adam sandler get pissed on by a deer. Then blame white people
>>
I could not have cared less about that goddamn romance subplot. The movie could've been two hours of giant robots fighting kaiju, and that would've been better. Boring McEveryman was the worst part. Should've just been Stacker and that Asian chick in Gypsy Danger.
>>
>>68851003
It's still shit, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>68851003
enjoyed it on cinemas, but having it ruined it for me. started seeing how poor as a movie it was.

Like seriously, its the last "episode" of the Pacific Rim franchise. That killed it for me. Everything previous to the start of the film is treated as if "yeah, kaijus attacked us, we hit them back, we won, we got cocky and started losing"
It was done so fast. That was a huge fucking flaw.

Like Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha fight. It was done so poorly because i didn't even have the time to care about them in general. I've never seen them fight before.
Cherno did absolutely nothing, and it was like the oldest jaeger, with a huge record his back. Those things in his head were flamethrowers, and they were never used. Got killed in an instant.

This movie should have been Pacific Rim 2
>>
>>68851003
fuck yes. i loved it then. i love it now
>>
>>68851003
It's great. It did a phenomenal job as a monster movie.
>>
>>68851003
It's the one good sci fi idea amongst a sea of remakes. Even if it is corny as fuck.
>>
Not especially
It's fine but it felt overly goofy and cliche like 3 months after it came out, and it hasn't gotten any better
>>
>>68851583
>Romance

But there wasn't one. That's not what was conveyed at all.
>>
This >>68851498
>>
>>68851924
That's literally not a criticism. That's faulting a movie because you wanted something else.
>>
File: 32553.jpg (100 KB, 646x970) Image search: [Google]
32553.jpg
100 KB, 646x970
An 8/10 dropped two full points to a 6/10 by casting a charisma-less black hole of talent and screen presence as the lead. The qt girl, Idris, Pearlman, Charlie, the goofy bow tie scientist, etc. etc. literally any other character would have been a better lead.

Then Del Toro hired the fucking plank again in Crimson Peak.
>>
Too much story focus which is poorly told and unengaging

Not enough fights

Fights that happen are shot in such close-up that you can barely make up what is happening half of the time, which consequently not helped by the fact that most of them are shot in poor lighting to mask the CGI

Romance subplot feels tacked on and forced

Last fight is anticlimatic and easily the worst out of the bunch

Other jaegers are sidelined by Gipsy Danger and don't get enough screentime

6/10
>>
>>68851326
Michael bay could learn a lot from that shot
>>
>>68851003
I still enjoy it. Action is good, plot and characters are fun, it's got great visuals and world building.
However, I really wish it were a team movie like Avengers. Cherno and Crimson shouldn't have died and I would have much more preferred seeing all of the Jaegars deployed together and use team work to beat Kaiju.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso
>>
>>68852302
>Fights that happen are shot in such close-up that you can barely make up what is happening half of the time

This is why we need /film/. This """""""criticism""""""" is literally the opposite of true
>>
>>68852143
As much as I like the movie I totally agree. It's not only a problem with the actor, that character was just boring as fuck. Every side character in the movie was interesting and memorable and he was just sort of there.
>>
All the characters are cheesy as all hell. Loved the rest.
>>
>>68852418
This. Look at >>68851326
>well composed
>shows the scale with the people who get the fuck out of the way
>good weight behind the animation
>holds the shot for a long ass time
>>
>>68851326
this looks like shit
>>
man i fucking completely forgot that this movie existed
it was pretty mediocre man
>>
>>68852450

Gonna have to disagree if I'm gonna t.b.h. None of the characters are super strongly written, that's part of the formula for this kind of movie. Stock Hero Guy was no better or worse than Stock Military Commander Guy, Stock Rookie with Tragic Past Girl or Stock Mad Scientist Guy but all of those characters were great due to charismatic lively performances.
>>
>>68852302
Virtually all of those criticisms makes me think either you didn't watch it or you were on your phone the whole time. None of those are true.
>>
>>68852418
It's been a couple of years since I saw it, but I distinctly remember the fight they have in the ocean outside of Hong Kong being a clusterfuck most of time.
>>68852531
That scene is an exception and it's the only one that happens during daytime if I remember correctly.
>>
Could have been good, but Del Toro never saw Evangelion so he just thinks people get into giant robots, syncing their brains with another person's, without having any kind of psychologically damning experience, creating drama. Instead it's just, "wow, that blew my mind I can't do this anymore. Nah, I'l try it again."

Half the movie was drama, and the drama was shit.
>>
>>68852638
>It's been a couple of years since I saw it, but I distinctly remember

Then stop posting your stupid opinions because you distinctly remember wrong
>>
>>68852707
>without having any kind of psychologically damning experience

Did you even see the movie? Their psychologically damning experiences were literally both of the main characters' entire story arcs
>>
>>68852722
kek
>>
>>68852707
>Del Toro never saw Evangelion

Good. We don't need that garbage here.
>>
>>68852707
bull fucking shit he never saw evangelion
like half the shit from the movie was ripped from it
>>
>>68852722

REDDITORS BTFO

WE /FILM/
>>
>>68851003
Lol dude it was lame when it came out...just admit it.
>>
File: 1461079572916.png (272 KB, 522x569) Image search: [Google]
1461079572916.png
272 KB, 522x569
>>68852722
Okay, I checked it again on youtube and it's just as bad as I remember.
>>
>>68851003
Did they release a digitally remastered version that removes Charlie Hunnam/the first hour or so? No? Then fuck off.
>>
>>68852844

He was just paying homage to the same old mecha animes that Evangelion was deconstructing.

Same influences
>>
>>68852844
He said in an interview that I'm having trouble finding that he still had Eva in his backlog after Pacific Rim was released.
>>
>>68852722
but he's right https://youtu.be/8xjvIaYgOtw
>starts of randomly
>rain and lightnings that ruin the general lightning of the scene
>a fuck ton of water effects
>bad shots in general for a large scale fight
>striker eureka engaging late as fuck

It gets a bit better once gypsy gets in since he fight out of the fucking water at least
>>
>>68852606
I think that us what makes the movie great in general. It plays into these tropes and archetypes but with color and obvious love that it works. Some of the characters/themes could have gotten extra development, but what we did get still feels complete. No matter what's happening there is always a sense of movement and I'm a sucker for that
>>
File: Untitled.png (485 KB, 857x479) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
485 KB, 857x479
Regardless of some issues with the film it is literally impossible to not love this man

https://youtu.be/D-zCQGA4fdY
>>
>>68852707
You completely missed the movie I see. The whole beginning and the Asian chick's entire character is about traumatic experiences.
>>
It didn't even come out well.

Fuck this site and it's "but its fun" bullshit. Pacific Rim was boring as hell.
>>
>>68853179
She seriously just saw a kaiju fight when she was a kid, that's it.
>>
>>68853216
basically this.
>>
I liked the first section and it had an interesting set up with the failing wall.

The meat of the film was pretty dull though.
>>
I liked it the only time I saw it but this killed any goodwill Hunham had from me from SOA. He was so shit in this, like he was the only person not in on the joke. This is a silly movie and everyone else seemed to realize it and have a good time while he thought he was doing Hamlet or something.
>>
>>68853216
>Fuck this site and it's "but its fun" bullshit. Pacific Rim was boring as hell.

Too right. My memory of watching this is someone putting it on at Christmas and everyone leaving the room halfway in.
>>
>>68851326
WELCOME TO 'STRAYA CUNT
>>
I love it. It's legit one of my absolute favorite movies. So much stuff I like about it.

The beginning prologue aswell as the beginning with Gipsy Danger, them suiting up and heading out into the storm as the badass theme song is blasting
The world building is great
Kaijudesign are top tier, Otachi is legit one of the greatest movie monsters ever
Obviously the fightscenes are great, wish we got more during the day but the fight in Hong Kong look great, the rainy night and those splashes of neon colour and Kaijublood

I also like that even tough the world is at its end the atmosphere is surprisingly bright, it's a "yeah together we can accomplish everything" kinda movie and I really like that. It's also nice that the movie doesn't end with Raleigh and Mako stereotypically kissing

But yeah I really like Pacific Rim
>>
File: 1457814902158.jpg (37 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1457814902158.jpg
37 KB, 640x720
>most action scenes take place in a rainy night
>cast is either boring or annoying
>most unique looking robots get offed as soon as they enter the fight

How the heck does anyone think this isn't on the same level as the Transformers movies?

>>68852531
Too bad >>68851326 is the only decent action scenes in the movie, and it only lasted less than half a minute.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.