[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tv/ So I've watch some of the early seasons of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1459984458391.jpg (28 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
1459984458391.jpg
28 KB, 640x495
Hey /tv/

So I've watch some of the early seasons of the Simpsons, but didn't watch the latest ones. What I know however is that apparently the series became terrible. Can one of you generous anons tell me why?
>>
>>68849433
In a word, tired.
>>
Shitty writers and newgrounds-tier animation senpai
>>
>>68849433

Watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions.
Don't expect everyone to spoon feed you.
>>
Just pick a random episode from the past ten/fifteen years or so and watch it. Report back your finding, please.
>>
>>68849433
most of the original writers left the show, season 9 the 'principal and the pauper' episode is regarded by the creators as when it started to plummit
>>
>>68849433
Rather than having celebrity cameos that were worked into the story, the celebrity cameo became the focal point and the stories were written around them. That's one reason. James Woods working at the Kwik-E-Mart to prepare for a movie, that's funny. Bart becoming a street artist because fucking Shepard Fairey was on the show, guest spots like that killed the show for me.
>>
>>68851194
well put
>>
>>68849433
https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
>>
In the 1990's the Simpsons were the typical family, that was the premise, and that was that made them famous. But society changed and the Simpsons didn't. So they had to write scripts for a 90's family.
>>
>>68853755
heh. because a show about disaffected loners who spend all day in their basements shitposting to 4chan would be sooo fucking entertaining... wait, does that make it OUR FAULT?

SOCIETY ISN'T FUNNY ENOUGH?
>>
>>68849433
Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein left the show to work on Mission Hill. They were the last good writers the show had. If you want a more cinematic answer, it's that the series began grounded in reality which made the more surreal jokes (afforded to the writers by the medium of animation) punctuate the scene. The network merchandised the crap out of the series when it got popular and suddenly guest spots on the show became coveted means of promoting whatever celebrity and whatever movie they had coming out. If there was a joke telling method that snowballed and became trite, it's the "cutaway". You see, writers for SNL would come up with jokes where the punchline is in a completely different location but they would necessitate an entirely different set to be built to execute them properly (which Lorne would inevitably say they didn't have the budget for). In animation, jumping the camera to France from Springfield costs exactly the same as jumping to the Quik-E-Mart. So the Simpsons really innovated a joke telling technique with cutaways to different locations, characters imaginations (the land of chocolate), etc.

Wants Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane using that technique ad naseum: "Remember that time when..." , "This is worse than when..." , etc. Family Guy was canned but came back and destroyed with DVD sales and was renewed because of them and suddenly set the tone for what The Simpsons had to compete with. The problem with using random asides so much is that the series stops being grounded in reality / punctuated by surrealism And instead inverts to be grounded in surrealism making the audience anticipate the wacky supposed-to-be-unexpected punch. Also, every episode is made to be insular, meaning the audience isn't required to have seen any of the previous episodes to enjoy the one they are watching. Which is fine, but has characters and their growth become muddled over a thirty year run wherein each episode they are supposed to have grown and learned
>>
>>68854433
I wrote "Enter Family Guy" not "Wants Family Guy". Fucking auto correct
>>
>>68851889

The book he wrote is a thorough look into how The Simpsons imploded. The gist of it is that The Simpsons wasn't designed to live on for 8 plus season, creative left to pursue other projects, and bad decisions that those that were left behind made--namely but not exclusively Mike Scully--weren't reigned in.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.