[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After seeing Primer multiple times and studying several expl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: Primer.jpg (408 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
Primer.jpg
408 KB, 1013x1500
After seeing Primer multiple times and studying several explanations I finally understand everything except that I still have three questions. I will refer to this explanation, because it is the easiest one to follow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzy-xPf0MI

My questions are:

1. Abe has been switching boxes on at 5 pm daily just in case, and when he woke up in friday early morning due to kids playing with car alarms he came with an idea to punch Platt in the face with Aaron, then go back to 5 pm previous day and stop kids from waking Abe up, thus preventing the plan of punching Platt. But that would create another pair of permanent duplicates of Abe and Aaron, because they won't go into the boxes. Why wouldn't they instead not prevent kids from waking Abe up and coming with the plan of punching Platt, but instead stop them in the process, somewhere on the road when they would drive to Platt's place, tell them not to do that but still go into the boxes? That would have prevented permanent duplicates.

2. Abe and Aaron had a conversation in the park three times, first one when Aaron wasn't aware of time traveling (this one is not shown in the film), second one when Aaron 2 was recording conversation, but Abe was still unaware that Aaron already timetraveled, and third one when Abe 5 and Aaron 6 used safe boxes and went back to monday morning again. That last one is when Abe collapsed. My question is why would they even go to park and have this final conversation again? They are both just traveled back, they are both aware of everything, and they both have already had this conversation, but this time both of them are aware. Why would they talk again? For whom? Why wouldn't they just skip it?

3. What are they planning to do with Aaron 0 locked in the attic?
>>
>>68841308

hey bro, its a movie. want a beer?
>>
>>68841378
It's more than a movie, it's a puzzle and I want to solve it.
>>
File: primer_chart.jpg (100 KB, 889x400) Image search: [Google]
primer_chart.jpg
100 KB, 889x400
>>68841950
this should help you answer those questions
>>
>>68842046

You can chalk up most of the confusion to that ten minute scene with the three Aarons. Literally the only exposition in the movie and it's mumbled badly with a shot that doesn't even accurately convey it. A cardboard stand in would've worked well enough.
>>
>>68842532
OP here. Actually explanation video in my first post is really easy to follow, but I still have these questions that for now looks to me like plot holes, but I might be wrong.
>>
File: 2000pxTime_Travel_Method2.svg.png (260 KB, 2000x1846) Image search: [Google]
2000pxTime_Travel_Method2.svg.png
260 KB, 2000x1846
I wanted to see it again but it's not on the Dutch netflix and they disabled vpn's and proxies from watching
>>
>>68842687

The biggest plot hole would be when Abe claims the boxes are one use only but going by the timeline and duration it wouldn't cause any paradoxes. The other would be Abe's character reversal.

I wished the film explored what happens if you die in the box or spent more time deducing the Thomas Granger problem.

What Primer does better than any other time travel film is expresses the impossibility of containing and controlling it without it spiraling out of control almost immediately but they only spend about five minutes to drive the point home.

The film would be stronger if it ended without the character fallout and instead with another Granger incident and fade out to their anguish at the fact the timeline is unfuckable.
>>
It's been a while since I've seen this, but I just want make sure if anyone else caught the fact that the beginning scenes where they're eating at the main characters house were chronologically the end of the film. I didn't notice til the second time I watched it because of the fridge.
>>
>>68842826
Dude full movie is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HHnXeMWT0
>>
>>68842974
Yes in the very beginning those are the doubles, not the orignals.
>>
>>68842933
>what happens if you die in the box
Then you don't exit the box, and there a no duplicates. Or if you already exited the box and then poison other yourself who is about to enter the box, then he will die in the box and exit as a corpse, while you will keep living. It's pretty simple considering the fact they break symmetry all the time in the film.
>>
>>68842974
guess I should watch it one more time
>>
File: 1460159571368.jpg (41 KB, 508x524) Image search: [Google]
1460159571368.jpg
41 KB, 508x524
>character invents time machine
>someone they know is murdered that week
>>
>>68843151
Think again. They punch, go in the boxes, get out 12 hours earlier as duplicates, prevent kids from waking themselves up, and their original themselves now have no plan of punching Platt as well as no plan to enter boxes, so their original themselves now stay in this reality as duplicates.

About meeting in the park for the third time, your point makes sense, now I have only two questions left.
>>
>>68843249
It's subtle but in the movie before they start time traveling, Aaron's wife mentions they need a new fridge because theirs is malfunctioning or broken (can't remember). In the beginning scenes before that, there is a fridge with a bow on top of it, as if it's a new fridge given as a gift. This was obviously the director giving a clue about the fact that Abe and Aaron in that scene were actually the doubles
>>
>>68843173
Makes sense! One question left.
>>
>>68843173
Yeah, and that aaron is the aaron you see in the beginning, referenced in this post>>68843358
>>
>>68843262
You mean this ex boyfriend with shotgun killed Rachel? It is never shown in the film, but it might be what have happened in the original timeline that is not shown.
>>
>>68843121
Oh shit nice, thanks bro.
>>
>>68842826
that graphics is wrong. the original didn't "lose his existence"
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 251x242
>this movie had a realistic take on Time Travel
>>
File: 1441651374665.jpg (48 KB, 680x525) Image search: [Google]
1441651374665.jpg
48 KB, 680x525
>mfw watching this film
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.