[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do people think that this is worse than Interstellar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: gravity-poster.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1514) Image search: [Google]
gravity-poster.jpg
123 KB, 1024x1514
How the fuck do people think that this is worse than Interstellar and The Martian? It's a goddamn masterpiece compared to most modern space films.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 648x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 648x430
It's generic shit.

Worst CGI. You just see heads floating inside CG space suits. Looks horrible.

Interstellar tops his by FAR.
>>
>>68831355
>Worst CGI
Gravity is one of the best-looking films ever made, and was able to accomplish that with half of Interstellar's budget.
>>
>>68831173
>Gravity takes place around the ISS
>Interstellar takes place in another galaxy (>1,000 light years away)

Interstellar blows this the fuck out. They're not even in the same tier. This was a simple action/thriller flick, not even sci-fi.
>>
>>68831173
Tend to agree, it's my 3rd favorite cyberpunk behind Blade Runner and Elysium.
>>
>>68831510
>the quality of a film depends entirely on its location and scale
You're a fucking retard, you know that?
>>
>>68831556
Ya, to me, one of the great things about Interstellar was that it portrayed the vast emptiness of space in a way that none of those reddit-tier infographics could. The scale of Interstellar allowed for that. Also, if Sandra Bullock failed to get back to Earth, all that happens is she dies. If the crew of the Endurance in Interstellar failed, our species is literally extinct. Thats a big fucking deal desu.
>>
>>68831173

NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH A MOVIE WITH SANDRA BULLOCK BREATHING HARD AND SCREAMING FOR 2 HOURS

That shit was fucking retarded. There was nothing to this movie but gimmicky visuals that got old after the first 5 minutes.
>>
Gravity was the best space movie since 2001. Better than Star Wars, better than Alien. It's a masterpiece.
>>
>>68831173
its pure kino. The symbolism is perfect and the drama is great. Its a technical masterpiece. Miles better than interstellar
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 160x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 160x184
>>68832445
>>
Only retard plebs and contrarians think this.
>>
>>68831173

Interstellar>>>The Martian>Gravity
>>
>>68831173
The hype brought it down. My expectations were WAY to high when I saw it and I walked away thinking "was that really it?" I'm surprised it even got nominated for an oscar much less won anything.

I enjoyed Interstellar and The Martian far more.
>>
>>68832543
How is that bait at all? It is kino, maybe if you weren't a retarded Nolan fag you would get it
>>
>>68831876
The notion that Interstellar does isolation better than Gravity is fucking absurd. Gravity was claustrophobic as fuck; and it's precisely Interstellar's scale that kept it from feeling truly isolated.
>>
>>68832597
Found the pleb

>MUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHH
>>
File: alex jones.png (211 KB, 307x311) Image search: [Google]
alex jones.png
211 KB, 307x311
>it's a Nolan circlejerking episode
>>
>>68832124
It's 90 minutes long. Maybe you should handle your adhd/dementia
>>
File: planetes cover.jpg (554 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
planetes cover.jpg
554 KB, 2560x1920
>>68831510
>hard sci-fi isn't sci-fi
>>
File: 6GddlQR.jpg (361 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
6GddlQR.jpg
361 KB, 1920x800
>>68832445
symbolism was too obvious
>>
>>68831173
I just wanna know how she was able to hold on to those doors when they flew open at like 100 mph.
>>
cant we all just enjoy all movies

gravity is great because its clautrophobic , shows the realty of what being in space is right now glorified satelite repairmen so we can enjoy quality hd tv

interstellar is the future of space exploration into he unknown

the martian is how the people in interstellar are to survive in future space exploration .

all movies fit in

grab the popcorn and enjoy
>>
http://www.google.com/search?q=cameron+gravity+best+movie&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8
>>
>>68832950
>Planetes
>hard sci-fi
>has literal martians

Oh wait, don't tell me you're an animefag and never read the manga?
>>
>>68831495
It's patchy at best. Some of earthscapes don't look remotely realistic.

Interiors look like a video game, just compare it to the "real" thing in Apollo 13.
>>
>>68834607
Any potentially low res model is is made up for by outstanding lighting and gorgeous cinematography. Everything except for Sandra is CG in this shot>>68833526
and it's so photo-realistic that most people wouldn't have even noticed that.
>>
>>68831173
This has to be bait. Sandra "I am an astronaut who has no fucking idea what I am doing in space" Bullock the movie. NO ONE, EVER, sends this ridiculous person to space EVER.
>>
"Hard" sci-fi is the literally the worst kind of sci-fi.

You're taking a concept that's meant to break limitations, and giving it limitations.

It's in the fucking name: Science Fiction.

F
I
C
T
I
O
N

Without an emphasis on the fiction part, it's just a movie about science. Turn it into a documentary. Make it a discovery special. Fuck, I'd still watch it and would probably still like it.

I watch sci-fi so I can see what a world augmented by exaggerated features of reality can look like.

With that being said, I liked Gravity. But it definitely wasn't better than interstellar.

The Expanse is also shit.
>>
>>68834578
I ain't got time to read shit backwards, nigga.
>>
>>68835039
She knew what she was doing, though. She survived and landed a fucking space craft. It's also a movie; what's emotionally engaging isn't often realistic.
>>
It's a chick flick.
>>
>>68831173
If I wanted to watch some bitch flail around for 2 hours, I would watch UFC
>>
>>68831173
I don't think anyone genuinely believes The Martian is better than gravity. If they do they'd have to concede that they don't give a shit or know anything about technical film making.
>>
>>68835491

> you have to know things about film making to prefer one movie over another

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
>>
>>68833598
THIS.
Once it was ok, but it happened many times.
>>
>>68835531
You should really read that too before you declare preference = quality. Which is why I said

>they don't give a shit... about technical film making
>>
There are people on this board who think Interstellar is unironically a good movie. I guess sci fi really is a starved genre
>>
>>68835371
Gravity isn't limited by it's genre, what a shit argument. Gravity is a survival-action film set in space; the science aspect of it is completely irrelevant. It has more in common with Cast Away than it does with Contact.
>>
her nose job is fuckawful. its like a knuckle at the end of her face
>>
>>68835531
>implying you don't appreciate more any subject when you know about the technical aspect
>>
>>68835855

> Gravity isn't limited by it's genre

Except it is. There are literally a billion other problems or obstacles they could've written in if their goal wasn't "hard sci-fi."

Why you continue to defend mediocrity is beyond me.
>>
>>68836152
If you're going to make a film about an astronaut getting back to Earth, what obstacles could you invent for them that wouldn't ruin the simplicity of the story by creating a complex sci-fi plot to justify them? Again, it's not a fucking science-fiction movie, it's a stranded on an island movie.

>Why you continue to defend mediocrity is beyond me.
It's the only great film set in space made in the last two decades.
>>
Shit characters, retarded plot, capeshit tier symbolism.
>>
>>68837074
there's only one real character who's better drawn than most characters in these survival films, the plot is intentionally simple, and obvious symbolism is still better than no symbolic element whatsoever
>>
Gravity came out after movies like Moon and Sunshine so it seemed way worse by comparison.

The Martian came out after movies like Gravity so it seemed better by comparison.
>>
>>68838121
But Gravity is significanctly better than every film you listed
>>
>>68831173
2001 > Interstellar > gravity
>>
>>68838276
I've never heard of anyone unironically liking 2001. I haven't seen it cuz of the "it's boring" meme but it seems almost everyone hates it.
>>
>>68834578

The Planetes manga had aliens? I don't remember that at all.
>>
>>68839483
It's one of the most universally praised films of all time. Only /tv/ shitposters hate it
>>
File: 1316650001572.png (163 KB, 424x470) Image search: [Google]
1316650001572.png
163 KB, 424x470
>Sandra Bullock...
>George Clooney is George Clooney in every movie.
>No interesting stakes
>Couldn't care less about characters

>"masterpiece"
>>
>>68839483
>being this retarded
>>
it's on fx right now XD
>>
>>68839483
grow up. 2001 is amazing. Truly a masterpiece.

"oh its so boring but ive never watched it because I let anonymous people decide my opinions"

lmao..
>>
Would've been better with Rodney Dangerfield in the Bullock role.
>>
>>68840003
or mini me
>>
>>68838225
Nah, but it's decent
Interstellar > Sunshine > Moon > Gravity > The Martian
>>
>>68831510
/** compareTo method for movies
* @param movie to be compared
* @return positive if the this movie is superior,
* negative if the given movie is superior
*/
public int compareTo(Movie m) {
return this.distanceFromEarth - m.distanceFromEarth;
} //you are literally retarded
>>
>>68840176
Interstellar is an awful, awful film, It's well-made schlock.
>>
2001>gravity>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>moon>>>>>>>>>>interstellae>the martian
>>
>>68835491
nigger, technical proficiency is always the bonus to a good film, it's NEVER the actual reason to prefer one film over the other
>>
I haven't seen The Martian yet but Interstellar has no single strong scene unless you want to count that twirling shit.

Gravity had plenty of them including that nicely uncut sweep through the flaming space station. 2001's don't even have to be mentioned.
>>
>>68841198
thats why gravity is good
>>
>>68840176
I'd say Gravity is about on par with Moon, personally I liked Gravity better. Sunshine and The Martian are both total crap compared to those two. Interstellar shouldn't be included in this discussion because it's a really different movie, the only thing they have in common is that it takes place in space.
>>
The Martian is literally the only one of these films I enjoyed. Interstellar was just plain dumb.
>>
>>68841198
That's not true, The criteria by which a person judges a film depends on the person
>>
File: spaceshit.jpg (918 KB, 3456x1296) Image search: [Google]
spaceshit.jpg
918 KB, 3456x1296
>>68831173
Reminder
>>
The Martian was so bad. What made people like it
>>
>>68841496
Where's a trip to the moon
>>
>>68833740
No.

Martian pulled off the Space Agoraphobia better in the last few minutes than Gravity did in the whole movie.
>>
File: besace.jpg (9 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
besace.jpg
9 KB, 236x177
>>68831173
Because /tv/irgins are lifeless neckbeards that watch movies for the only sake of feeling smarter than the outside world. They go for the most uncommon stuff shitted out by your average arthouse and force themselves watching it thinking to themselves "hah! no pleb would love this".

"Gravity" was pure show, in the circus or entertainment sense of that word. You never dropped it for a single second when watching. I am absolutely sure that if fathers of the cinema such as Melies, Hitchcock, Disney or Lang were to watch "Gravity" they would love it and they would even ask to play the movie again once its finished.
>>
>>68831173
Opinions are memetic. Le black scientist man said it wasn't accurate and everyone picked it up and decided to shit on the movie in order to seem more informed than their friends
>>
>>68831173
All 3 pretty much sucked

Why can't we get any good space sci fi movies these days?

>>68840202
me the first year compsci student
>>
>>68842749
holy shit you're retarded. /tv/ hasn't been like this for years now. the only thing /tv/ watches at this point is boring capeshit.
>>
Forgettable garbage, one of the worst movies ever made.

Interstellar was a master piece, and one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history.

Comparing Gravity and Interstellar is like comparing the Mona Lisa and a big sloppy shit in a glass box.
>>
>>68832124
this

they fucked up by picking a terrible actor
>>
>>68845313
Now THIS is baitracing
>>
Hated both films for different reasons but I don't understand how a comparison can be made between the films. The only thing they have in common is that it happens in space. One is about saving humanity thanks to 'le power of science xd' and the other is just an alegory of how a fat cunt feels like when she tries to go back to her safe space
>>
>>68845313
Interstellar is the cinematic equivalent of a progressive rock band. I actually felt embarrassed watching the movie. Gravity is a cool all-female post-punk group with some hints of new wave.
>>
>Kino

>Cinema
Gravity

>Film
The Right Stuff

>Movie
Solaris

>Flick
Apollo 13

>Joint
Sunshine

>Videotape
The Martian

>Straight-to-Netflix
Armageddon

>Amazon Prime
Interstellar
>>
it was really bad to be honest, I couldn't wrap my head around how much of the praise it got was undeserved

that said, Interstellar was pretty solid until the forces ending, could have skipped some exposition that was just dragging needlessly though

Martian is not even worth discussing
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.