[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be able to commit crimes with a 100% guarantee of not getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13
File: death note movie.jpg (315 KB, 1000x1475) Image search: [Google]
death note movie.jpg
315 KB, 1000x1475
>Be able to commit crimes with a 100% guarantee of not getting caught
>Still get caught

Japanese """"""writers"""""" have to be the dumbest motherfuckers ever.
>>
Isn't that the whole premise? An unstoppable force meeting and unmovable object?
>>
>>68817859

It makes sense.

From what little I remember they narrowed him down to one city because all the deaths were in that city at first.

Then they figured out he had to be related to law enforcement somehow because he was getting information that only the police knew.

Then it was pretty easy to find him from there.
>>
>Be able to commit crimes with a 100% guarantee of not getting caught
>has to use a weapon to commit the crime

/tv/ shit"""""posters""""" have to be the dumbest motherfuckers ever.
>>
>writers are dumb because the characters didn't behave how you thought they should
>watching the movie version of a 12 volumemanga/37 episode show
>>
>>68817887
No, OP is right.

The only reason Book Fag can't kill detective face is because of an arbitrary rule that the dumb book needs exact names and that the name the whole world knows the detective by is somehow not good enough.

That's retarded.
>>
>>68818070
>These established rules in this work of fiction are retarded because I don't agree they should work this way!

You are retarded.
>>
Try to sue a specific person without anyone knowing their legal name.
>>
>>68818139
The rule is "write a name, they die."
The detective is world famous by his code name.
But because its a code name the book which is connected to a fucking god or somre shit can't figure it out.

That's retarded.

Its like writing "Eminem" and no effect, despite the whole fucking world knowing who the stage name refers to.
>>
I hated when L died.
>>
>>68818304
Tough shit, the only thing that counts is their real name, not the name they are most known by at any one time.

The concept of "true name" have been around for a long time in fiction.
>>
>>68817859
I think it's realistic. L manages to scare Kira by saying he knows about him etc. Because Kira have felt relatively safe and haven't experienced ANY resistance so far in the story, it actually pushes him off-balance. It's a psychological game, for a fleeting moment, his emotions get the best of him.

Basically, OP, you're an autist that mistakingly think that it's possible to be perfectly rational. Even people like you freeze up when a wolf jumps out of the bushes.
>>
>>68818304
Rule is "write the birthgiven name, they die" not "write his nickname and they die"
Writing Eminem would have no effect because his real name isn't Eminem, shinigami dont do shit by your headcanon
>>
You posted this a few weeks ago
>>
>>68818310
this

I didn't even bother finishing it afterwards

I wasn't even an L fanboy, the show just seemed to go retarded after that
>>
>>68817952
this
>>
>>68818070
>and that the name the whole world knows the detective by is somehow not good enough.

Why is that a stupid rule? Why wouldn't magic do this? It doesn't seem stupid. I could write "faggot" and kill nearly everyone, because that's what they're called by their fathers.
>>
>>68818304
So since i call you faggot all the time and everyone knows you by "faggot" around these parts, writing faggot on the death note should kill you, that's the logic?
>>
>>68818369
The book's connected to a god, yes? Is the God too retarded to betold a persons name? Face it you weeb shit, by its own internal logic, this shit is retarded.
>>
>>68818438
I felt that he was the only one capable enough to figure out Light was behind everything and then when they killed him the show lost all momentum.
>>
Dumbest shitposter
>>
He got caught because he got carried away with his "judgement"
>>
>>68818475
>A god
>The god
Your fucking logic is retarded from the start.
Every book is connected to a shinigami, and their own fucking rule is that you need someone's real name. If more than 1 person had the same called name and worked with your shitty logic then the book would be useles.
They even gave you a power that lets you see the name of whoever you looked at
>>
>>68818438
It should have ended right after he dies and that in his death, there is some sort of Pyrrhic victory for Light.
>>
>>68818583
This
>>
>>68818070

I can't tell if you're trolling or just deeply retarded
>>
>>68818455
If the whole fucking world knows a detective by the name FAGGOTRON DETECTIVEFACE and you write that name, even explain the situation. TO THE GOD CONNECTED TO THE BOOK then it shouldnt fucking fail unless the god is retarded. The whole concept is retarded and ypou are all retarded if you defend it you fucking weaboo plebs.
>>68818581
SO HOW THE FUCKCOULD YOU LOSE!??!!
JUST LOOK ATTHE CODENAMED CUNT AND ERITE HIS NAME DOW TOSEMD THE SHINTOBINMANFUCKARAMA AFTER HIM!!!!

OH WAIT I BET THERES ANOTHER RETARDED REASON THAT WONT WORK EH??!! ALMOST AS THOUGH ITS WRITTEN BY A FUCKING IDIOTFOR FUCKING IDIOTS.
>>
>>68817859
One of the things they do to narrow the search

1. who is getting killed
2. analyze how the killer is targetting those people

that narrows it down a lot. What if you restricted access about criminals to different regions, if you saw only criminals broadcasted in Japan were being killed, that would instantly narrow it down to one area

aka watch the show/anime/read manga
>>
I watched this show for about 10 or so episodes and remembered thinking it was neat.

I don't know why I stopped watching it. I don't usually like anime, but I liked Death Note.

I should get back on it eventually.
>>
>>68818716
Good god man
>>
What happens when you write someone's name down but another has the same name? Would they both die?
>>
>>68818761
I dropped it when the guy who was using the book erased his memory or some shit. I can't remember if it's even the same anime it's been so long.
>>
great show, if you didn't get it you need a bigger brain, end of story
get fucked
>>
>>68818779
Yes....?
>>
>>68818779
You have to be thinking of the person whose name you write.
>>
>>68818871
That's gay as hell dude
>>
Whatever happened to the western version that was apparently happening?

I remember a bunch of websites saying Zac Effron(?) was going to be Light. I didn't dream this right?
>>
> 100% guarantee of not getting caught

you dumb faggot, IRL kira would get caught a million times faster, the police would flood the media with false identities of "criminals" and place all sorts of IP tracking trojan horses on all media sites and start narrowing the suspect lists gradually, and anyone who is even remotely suspected of being kira would never be in the investigation team for a mere second

even the death note leaves traces
>>
>>68818814
fuck off trpifag
>>
>>68818894
Well, it is anime
>>
>>68817859
Kind of a boring story if he just kills people by writing names in a book. Japanese ''''''''''writers''''''''' probably just wanted to have some sort of plot.
>>
>>68818894
Why? Thinking as in imagining their face as you write their name. Not foaming at the mouth thinking of their penis (though that might work too).
>>
>>68818871
So then retard anon is right and this is stupid shit.
>write eminem while thinking of eminem but the shinigami still can't figure it out

What happens if you change your name?
What determines what a name is?
If it's the "designation" your parents gave you when you were born then what happens if you have no parents and are an orphan?
>>
>>68818971
>tripfag
Lurk moar
>>
>>68818871
So you have to think of the person too? And write down their name? But despite you picturing them and knowing the name the world knows them by and potentially describing them to the supernatural being linked to the book, there's STILL a way for the detective fella to thwart all that because of some plot contrivance....?

That dude was mad as hell but it sounds like he had a point honestly.
>>
>>68819034
Okay so what if that person has a twin or doppelganger that coincidentally also looks exactly like him. How does the god thing know which to kill? Or that you're thinking of the right dude?
>>
>>68818930

Im pretty sure if I had a Death Note I could do just fine and never get caught.

I wouldnt try and be a fucking hero and kill people who commit petty crimes. It'd be the people who really deserve it.

Like Lena Dunham
>>
>>68818310
>I hated when the protagonist killed the antagonist
Could you be even more contrarian than this?
>>
>>68819215
Kills them both, though shit.
>>
>>68819215
The Death Note self destructs.
>>
I'm Just Saying...If I Had A Death Note, Donald Trump Better Watch Out Haha >:)
>>
>>68819034
What happens if they get plastic surgery and their appearance changes but you don't know this, and you picture their pre-knife face and write their name?
>>
Why didn't Light just have another detective suicide bomb L?
>>
>>68819451
What if Donald Trump isn't actually the name he was born with?
>>
>>68819139
You dont even know the plot and yet you still fell confident to label it a "contrivance"?

Sad
>>
>>68817952
IIRC they figured out which part of the city he was in because the detective made a broadcast to only a specific area, revealing a decoy detective's name who he killed moments later
>>
>>68819535
the death note can't force someone to do something he is unlikely to have done himself.

light made a criminal hijack a bus and made people with suicidal thoughts kill themselves but you can't make a honest detective go allahuakbar on his buddies
>>
File: hudhdjshd.gif (499 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
hudhdjshd.gif
499 KB, 500x313
>yfw all the weeb autists that were defending this garbage got btfo and stopped posting
>>
>>68819451
Why not Hillary you stupid mexican?
>>
>>68819504
They die. Got any more?
>>
>>68819654
So why not make a criminal hijack a plane and crash it into the office?
>>
>>68817859
I watched the anime when it came out. Should I watch the live action? is it any good?
>>
>>68819664
>projecting rhis hard
>>
>>68819627
So what happens? How does the detective thwart the supernatural power? Is it deliberate or coincidence?
>>
>>68819535
Cant make people kill other people.
>>
>>68819682
If the shinigami can't identify the person without their proper name and image, how can it find someone with the same name but differing image?
>>
>>68819685
still unlikely behavior. "oh i am a criminal i will hijack a plane and crash it on some building i don't know to kill someone i've never met because no reason"

also it's not guaranteed he'd actually manage to hijack a plane. i don't think the death note grants a magical capability to avoid security checks
>>
what if you legally change your name to something else does it still take your birth name or your new name
>>
File: classiccia.jpg (321 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
classiccia.jpg
321 KB, 1920x1080
>>68819685
CIA wouldn't allow this.
>>
>>68819804
>>68819061
>>
>>68819242
Except Light is the antagonist.
>>
why was light played by such a fuckboy looking shitstain
>>
File: soflo.jpg (9 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
soflo.jpg
9 KB, 320x320
>>68819451
This is definitely me
>>
>>68819754
>how can it find someone with the same name but differing image?
Magical powers of a death god.
>>
>>68819754
the shinigami don't do the killings either, the death note causes the death to happen literally by magic, it changes a person's pre destined fate

>>68819061
try suing eminem in court by filling charges on "eminem" instead of using his real name like some previous anon said you dumb nigger
>>
What if there is a guy that looks exactly like you and borrow your name?
If Light writes your name thinking of his face, would you die?
>>
Shows where the """"villain"""" did nothing wrong?

Light literally did nothing wrong
>>
>>68819804
What ever you consider your true name is your true name. If you change your name just to avoid the death note it wont work.
>>
File: 1456527918411.jpg (457 KB, 1994x948) Image search: [Google]
1456527918411.jpg
457 KB, 1994x948
>>68819664
>>
>>68819960
>whatever you consider your true nameis your true name
What the fuck that's stupid
>>
>>68819890
Which aren't that magical if it can't figure out who a person is by given name image and description.
>>68819896
The law isnt a magical god thing who seems to arbitrarily ignore its own capabilities on a whim.

How is it that I'm siding with a literal autist ranting like a lunatic? How is their poi t the logical one here?
>>
>>68817859
are you going to make this fucking thread everyday, this shit isnt amusing
>>
>>68818930
He got caught because he instantly gets a god delusion. Literally the guy has the book for one episode before he's convinced he's god.
>>
>>68819960
>I consider my true name to be chillydog buttclamp but i'm the only one that knows this. To the rest of the world i'm miho takahashi. This makes me immune to the death note.

Is this the jist of it?
>>
File: paul.jpg (42 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
42 KB, 512x512
>>68819971
>mfw Latza isn't on there
>>
>>68819902
There is no real answer to these questions the only real way to know how the death note works is to test is like light dose. Since the subject of doppelgangers was never of importance to light he never tested it.
>>
>>68819754
I think you're confused about how the note works, leading to your autistic outbursts.

You don't write down in the book someone's name, knowing their face, so that the shinigami knows who to hunt. The shinigami doesn't actually do anything. The book is magic, it's the one that kills people and it does it by changing their fate.
Hell man, the shinigami use the books too.
>>
>>68820095
>It works howvere the plot needs it to
As others have said, plot contrivance.
>>
>>68820078
Yes.
>>
>>68820095
So ops claim is true then, jap writers are the dumbest motherfuckers ever
>>
>>68820020
again the death note isn't a magical god the shinigami themselves are not doing the killings you double nigger

the death note is a magical item that tramples with a person's fate with accordance to some pre determined rules of use. one of them is that only a real name counts
>>
>>68818821
the payoff to that part is great

thats where the 'ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU' means come from
>>
>>68820020
You are stupid, light is not a deathgod and dose not have their powers. Death gods have other powers then just a death note. He only has a death note.
>>
>>68820149
Why are you only just saying this now? There's no link between the death god and the book that kills....? This is getting more and more stupid.

Does the detective really do this >>68820078?
Behonest.
>>
>>68820123
That's fucking worse.
How can some omnipotent magical force be so powerful as to change fate, yet can't find the person who's fate it is being told to change because it needs the 'true' name and image of the person in question.

How can you not see the stupidity in this if someone as autistic and retarded as I can?
>>
>>68820141
Okay so what happens with someone with a split personality to the point of they take on an entirely different name? Would their birth name still be okay or their alter ego?
Bruce Wayne considers himself Batman (as in Bruce is the mask) so would you be able to kill Batman?
>>
>>68820144
>>68820137
both asking questions that will literally never come up.

How many times have you met someone with your exact same name and apperance?
>>
>>68818930
>kill random celebs, terrorists and cartel members
>space out killing people enough that no one suspects anything
It would be pretty hard for people to suspect magic is involved and think of ways to catch you.
>>
>>68820078
There is no one on earth who considers their real name to be something only they know. That would defeat to purpose of a name. And a death god could still kill you even if no one knew your name. But light isnt a death god.
>>
>>68820192
Is this post supposed to mean something? The magic book and the death god aren't connected?
>>
>>68820262
L is a famous detective using an alias for anonymity dummy, hell we wouldn't even know his appearance if the story didn't move the plot along
>>
>>68820216
by now i'm 100% certain you are trolling or a legit retard

the death gods are supernatural beings that live in their own realm and posses a death note that they can KILL WITH, they DO NOT "HUNT" whoever is written in the death note

their only supernatural power is being able to tell a person's name and lifespan just by looking at him, granting shinigami eyes to death note owning humans in exchange for half their lifespan and being invisible to humans who did not touch their death note

i'm not bothering replying beyond this point
>>
>>68820277
the book is the scythe anybody obtains the power of the scythe if they hold it, easy enough to understand now?
>>
>>68820216
No he dosent do that. I already explained that that wouldn't work.
>>
>>68820262
Were talking about the magic book. The magic almost on nilpotent fate changing book that can't kill a guy called L even if you picture the guy with the name L.

Its fucking stupid.

>>68820329
So again we have this idea that the kid with the book can see true names.

So if he knows the given name of the person, knows what the person looks like and can even see the true name of a person, why doesn't the magic book work?
>>
>>68818475
But the god KNOWS the names it just doesn't tell him
>>
>>68820247
They can be killed by either name.
>>
>>68820414
What does he do then? How does he thwart the magical book that can change fate?
>>
>>68820221
>change fate
fuck off, faggot. you're literally complaining about MAGIC. magic is only defined by what the author wants. you hate the death note because it doesn't do something you want it to. dont be a fucking autist. do you also post in LOTR threads about how frodo should have flown into mordor on an eagle?
>>
>>68818814
kill urself
>>
>>68820256
if you kill one dude in a decade you are not "kira" in the same sense kira was

he wanted the public to know he exists and kills criminals in order to create his idealic world

>>68820221
you talk about the death note as if it's a living and thinking thing that looks for people and not an inanimate object with magical capabilities
>>
>>68818716
This shit right here proves that anti-weebs are indeed even worse than weebs.
>>
>>68820484
He was a retard. If you kill a person a day, I still doubt anyone would notice.
>>
>>68820466
We're saying this is a plot contrivance, a silly one at that. You're saying it works however the author wants, we don't disagree. Where we disagree is that you think its clever, we're saying its very very silly.
>>
Fucking hell guys, it's a fucking cartoon. Cool the autism.
>>
>>68820463
He dosent, He dies.
>>
>>68820565
He may be an angry idiot, but he has a point about this plot. Its silly.
>>
>>68817859
Isn't it because Light has a thing about wanting to get close to and kill L? If it wasn't for that he probably could've gone on killing, especially if he didn't go full retard and kill the people investigating him who had absolutely no way of discovering him. Then again, that's also part of his narcissism so it kinda fits.
>>
>>68820329
>>68820368
But the scythe doesn't work unless you know the "true" name and "true" face of the person in question?
What supreme being set these rules that the death god must follow?
What determines what a true name is?
Why are the japanese writers too stupid to have thought this shit out when creating the series, even if it needn't have been brought up in the manga/anime?

>>68820466
>write a manga that has set rules on the universe
>break the rules of set universe to move along a barely held together plot

This is the issue with the "hurr it's magic i don't gotta explain shit durr" argument and this series in general. It's stupid and the japanese authors are indeed dumb motherfuckers.

Also if you've read any of Tolkien's works beyond LOTR you'd know why the eagles couldn't fly into Mordor.
>>
>>68819685
This is a very hard task and wouldn't happen because do you know hard it is to hijack a plane and crash it somewhere
IIRC Light experimented with stuff and tried to make a criminal escape prison and die. A criminal would escape a prison, sure, but in reality it's too hard.
>>
>>68820570
if people don't notice there is a godlike kira that kills and wrongdoers people won't be afraid to commit crimes so you killing bad guyz is null
>>
He got caught because he decided to play god, creating a pattern. The Shinigami talks about this at the end. If Light had been a 'normal' person, he would maybe have killed a few people for personal gain and no one would have known.
>>
is there any anime that has similar art-style and story of DN?
>>
>>68820634
So the dude with the all powerful magic book wins?

Wow, what a clever plot...?
>>
>>68820570
Yes, he was a retard, its part of his character to do stupid stuff like that.
>>
>>68818716
But the god doesn't kill them when you write the name. The BOOK kills them. And Ryuk didn't give a shit, he didn't want to help Light, he just wanted entertainment
>>
>>68820696
>is there any anime that has similar art-style and story of DN?

More than you'd think.
>>
>>68820662
How do they break the rules? They set them early on about the Death Note and Shingami shit and follow them
>>
>>68820577
You could say the fact that the ring can only be destroyed at mt doom is a contrivance. All plots could be said to be contrivances. IT means nothing.
>>
>>68820733
>some of the replies claim the god does the killing, not the book
>some claim the book does the killing, not the god

Even the DN fans don't know wtf is going on.
>>
>>68820662
Let's continue with the scythe metaphor, how would you have written it to work? it just kills people i want without having to do anything?
How do you write a story with this?
>>
Every time this point gets raised, a bunch of morons try to justify how L was able to draw massive conclusions from nothing. Truth is the Death Note would be untraceable as fuck.

Even Light's incredibly dumb moves would still leave nothing linking him.
>>
>>68820702
No he dies too. The death god wins.
>>
>>68820785
The gods can kill using the book, they don't kill using their bare hands or whatever you're imagining
>>
>>68820733
>>68820785
The book is a weapon just like a gun. The person firing the gun is still a murderer even though it was the bullet that killed.
>>
>>68820743
i havent seen any animes that look like dn and got that vibe to it. what animes would you reccomend?
>>
>>68820783
Well, not really. Some settings, like Tolkien, have internal logic. Others just have shit happening for the sake of the plot and rules get broken changed and added for shits and giggles.

>>68820804
Why the fuck are you defending such an awful story? How long does it fucking take for Arradin to get fuck by his thlee wishes? Two or three seasons?
>>
>>68820662
The face that the eagles cant fly into mordor is a plot contrivance, please explain exactly how a giant fiery eye functions without resorting to "lol its magic I dont gota explain shit".
>>
>>68820785
The god doesn't do the killings.
When the god does the killings, he uses the book, in which case they can pretty much figure out everyone's name because they have 'shinigami eyes' (which basically mean they can see everybody's true name).
When Light got the notebook, he had to use it the way it was meant to be used except without the ability to know everyone's name. The death god attached to Light's notebook repeatedly says throughout the series he isn't HELPING light because he's just bored and wants to see what light can do on his own.
Got it? Writing in the book kills someone, it doesn't make a death god kill someone. The book has no thought process, just a collection of 'rules'. Its a tool.
>>
>>68820904
not same guy but

Monster has the catch and chase vibe but not the art style since it's fairly older

Code Geass is also very similar but it has robots and shiet
>>
File: 1453838240436.jpg (20 KB, 179x179) Image search: [Google]
1453838240436.jpg
20 KB, 179x179
Light getting rekt and dying was a fitting end, but I really wish that he hadn't been outsmarted in such a nonsensical way, and by that faggot Near of all people.
Even if it wasn't a gigantic ass pull that some guy was able to create perfect copy of the death note in one fucking night, Near's plan also would've gone down the shitter if Light had just given his buddy boy some small pieces of paper from the death note as backup.
>>
fuck off to /a/
>>
>>68820785
the books doing the kills is canon

death gods using the book to kill is also canon

retards watching baby's first animu is also "canon" i'm afraid

>>68820793
> killing his first criminal on live broadcast in his very region
> killing lind l taytor live in a broadcast only in his region
> using police files to kill more criminals
> killing ray penbar

> no one would get on to him
i'm not even counting the stupid shit misa and mikami did

and in real life the investigation team would be much stronger and clever and not on a 13yo shonen reader type of intelligence, it would be an investigation team of literal world geniuses
>>
>>68820942
Why are you so assblasted and autistic about it anon?
>>
>>68820989
He didn't get outsmarted his lackey got outsmarted, when his hands where out of his fate he couldn't do shit
>>
>>68820943
The eye is linked to its ring wraiths, the ring wraiths to the ring, if eagles flew in carrying g the ring nine immortal kings would attack them on dragons. It may be magic but its magic with rules it follows and that make sense in its own narrative.

From what everyone here has said, this is not true of DN.
>>
The point is he still had the hubris of man
>But I wouldn't get caught if I were Light
Yes you would, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>68820942
>Some settings, like Tolkien, have internal logic
Explain Tom Bombadil in internal logic then.
>>
>>68820989

L got killed because of outside bullshit, only fitting Light dies the same way.

Anyhow, watch the movies, the ending is done in a far more satisfying way.
>>
>>68821053
I guess, but it's still partly on him for not giving him some paper just in case. Why bet your life on a safe not being cracked.
>>
>>68820985
Monster seems my cup of tea. Are there any similar ones like DN and Monster?

something with less sci-fi?
it's really difficult for me to get into an anime.
>>
>>68821024
I'm bemused and trying to make sense of it to be honest. This anime is beloved, I can't grasop why. It all boils down to a really bad telling of either Aladdin or Dr Faustus.
>>
>>68818750
Yes, and this would somehow allow them to figure the person who using a MAGIC NOTEBOOK that DIDN'T REQUIRE THE USER TO EVEN INVOLVE HIMSELF IN THE KILLING.
Death note is fucking stupid.
>>
>>68820788
>how would you have written it to work?
I'd expand the explanations for how things work.

>needs a true name
Explain what constitutes a true name. In this case I'd say the name you've been called for the majority of your life (more than 2 thirds) OR the name you're known by to more than a set number of people.

I'd change the way the whole needing to picture the person works. If the magic/god can change fate, then it knows who you're talking about. That adds to the whole omnipotent factor without needing to be fleshed out.
>>
>>68820989
>Light getting rekt and dying was a fitting end
I was rustled over the movie ending. As I recall he isn't nearly as pathetic and there's no scenes where he's crying and begging the god to spare him in front of everyone.
>>
>>68820644
Most popular things have silly plots. Just look at game of thrones, star wars, and capeshit.
>>
>>68821131
He was part of the magical reality the Varla were trying to reset and nullify. A creature that had no place in their new vision any more than giant spiders or elves or hobbits.
>>
>>68821173
Why wouldn't it? Once they narrowed it down to law enforcement in that city, they had a finite number of suspects. You're retarded.
>>
>>68821057
Now you are discussing two different things. I never claimed that lotr contradicts its internal logic, just that its a convenience. There is no point where deathnote contradicts its own internal logic.
>>
>>68818814
Just gotta be sure...
>>
>>68821161
Just generally the stuff by the writer of Monster, Naoki Urasawa, are fucking amazing.

20th Century Boys is my favorite manga of all time. Begins as a fairly grounded mystery, turns into a political-ish thriller, then turns into being about a rebellion. Its fantastic. Goes a bit sci-fi but in a bearable way
>>
>>68821161
There isn't too much you probably have more luck in >>>/wsr/

The only other one i know is legends of the galactic heroes but its 110 episodes and 2 movies and from the late 80's and it's very sci-fi ish
>>
>>68820644
DN is more a concept taken to extremes than a plot imo.
>>
>>68821173
IF THERE IS A CERTAIN PATTERN OF KILLINGS THERE IS A DIRECTION FOR THE INVESTIGATION TO TAKE

i understand you can't figure out how you yourself would've found kira with an intelligence of a peanut but it's far from impossible
>>
>>68821161
Monster is overrated. Very bad ending.
>>
>>68818716
You need to know the face of the person you are killing. He doesn't kill L early on because he doesn't know what he looks like. By the time he figures out what L looks like, he has determined that killing L would just put more interest on who the Death Note holder is and would possibly confirm to anyone working with L that someone who can kill with some magical power exists.

I know these concepts are hard to grasp because you're a fuck-face. even disregarding what I said explaining why he didn't kill L, the book still requires the actual name of the person you are killing. This is not some "muh dumb convience" thing. It is a rule established by the fictional story. Just because you don't like the rule does not mean the story is "wrong" for not killing L early on.

TL;DR you're a fuck
>>
>>68821223
>If the magic/god can change fate, then it knows who you're talking about
It doesn't have a mind, it doesn't use context or logic to find people
>>
once the aspies busted out their caps lock and 'omg japanese suck at everything' while ignoring the mass of western cancer, this thread was over. i like DN but the movie does suck.
>>
>>68818814
fuck you
>>
>>68821131
He's an enigma so he can't be internally logic'd but he has a set of rules he cannot and will not break which is never changed or retconned in the books.

>>68820943
The eagles can fly into Mordor, they choose not to the same way they chose to just fuck around for the majority of the Silmarillions tales.
The eye is a Peter Jackson creation so you'd best ask him how it works. In the books, there is no eye and Sauron is a shadow of himself skulking around inside his tower.
>>
>>68821223
Look man this is very simple to understand L protects his identity with an alias but it's just that an alias, even tho everyone calls him that it's not his real name
>>
>>68818814
Who are you even talking about
>>
>>68818814
Thank you Mr. Bazooper
>>
>>68819715
They analyse the killings to narrow down his demographic (most victims are local to a certain area, times of death coincide with the timetable of a student, etc) then start making a show of force. Essentially, he could have gotten away with it easy if he just ignored them, but his fear of getting caught means he does stupid things like steal confidential information on the case to kill the investigators. Little mistakes like that leave clues, and it helps that he's personally known to some of the officers looking for him. There's a bit of contrivance in the main detective being sherlock levels of plot-smart, but it's never too overt.
>>
>>68821268
Except it does. See, if you ha e to picture a person. as well as write their name, there's no reason at all for it not to work. The book can change the fate of any person alive but it can't extrapolate that an image of a person and their given name are linked. Maybe they're the rules you accept for the setting, but if you're honest with yourself they only exist in order to create a conflict and a possible antagonist. The fact its a contrivance isn't so much the issue as how lazy and frankly bad the contrivance is, its fan fiction tier writing that people defend like its art.
>>
>>68821223
>you actually think you are smarter than the person who wrote deathnote and you think you can improve it without even watching it or reading it first.

You have almost as much hubris as Light himself.
>>
>This entire thread
Jesus H, I share a board with you people...

First off, watch the anime/read the manga if all other adaptations have failed you. You can't condense them down into 90 or so minutes and get the full effect.

>doppelganger
Doesn't share name even if they share appearance. Also, the victim's face must be visualised, hence the stunt with the bike helmets at the... police station, if I'm not mistaken.
>why do they need the real name?
Out of universe: To keep the anime interesting.
In universe: It's Japan, a country where people share one skin tone, few eye colours and one hair colour. It narrows it down.
>but why not their alias
Out of universe: see above
In universe: The death note was likely created in a more traditional era. Bastards/orphans had no name or legacy, people kept their name as a symbol of status. The death gods likely observed this and thought it an apt way to filter kills in the death note. Aliases were less common back then.
Another possibility is that death notes were created as a form of entertainment for the already bored death gods. Ryuk's boredom is literally what spurs on the events of the story.
>why did Kira/Light get caught/be stupid
If you can't answer this, you didn't understand what you watched and have missed the overall point of the story told.
>anything about death gods actually killing people
They don't. They have their own death notes. One of the first things said by Ryuk to Light when he gets the death note is "when your time comes, I'll write your name in my own death note".
>hypothetical questions about what the death note can and can't do
Mid season 1, Light experiments with the death note. Anything covered in there has an in-universe explanation. Anything not can be debated, but it's all headcanon.
>>
>>68821168
What do you want people to do, spell out the entirety of the story for you and every single twist and turn in takes? I haven't seen the anime, but as far as I remember the rules of the 'magic' and death note are solid in the manga. Whether you like it or not is another deal, but everything is explained.
>>
>>68819674
Why not both?
>>
>>68821520
eh anime with 24+ episodes cant be put into movies. i doubt anyone here having an autistic fit over DN has actually watched the anime or read the manga.
>>
File: WWW.YIFY-TORRENTS.COM.jpg (128 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
WWW.YIFY-TORRENTS.COM.jpg
128 KB, 350x500
>>68821290
>>68821286
Thanks
>>
>>68821540
You say everything is explained, but no two people!e seem to give the same answer. That to me implies its vaguely hinted at and fans liner this guy >>68821520 have filled in the blanks based on their own interpretations.
>>
>>68820681
It still removes the bad guysz though. Killing enough cartel members and terrorists would make them spooked or at least cripple them.
>>
>>68821614
Wait, shit, 20th Century Boys is only a manga.
>>
>>68821369
>>68821449
I know that, what I posted was how I'd change the way DN works, not how it actually does work. It's all fanfic.
>>
>>68821506
But not as much intellect sadly.
>>
>>68821636
if they are spoked they know kira exists you triple nigger
>>
>>68821506
>>68821662
It's an improvement over the japs authoring though.
>>
>>68821661
But that gets rid of any story. Why would you rewrite it to have less limitations so that the main guy can outright just kill everyone immediately and win in a day?
You would be a terrible fucking writer, removing literally all conflict
>>
>>68821657
yeah

why dont they make more animes with the art style and vibe to DN? its like they dont want a wider audience
>>
>>68821605
By the sounds of it, the people legitimately arguing it sounds terribly silly and full of holes don't want to waste their time on childish nonsense.

I mean, its shounen manga right? Boy-child comics?
>>
>>68821635
>no two people!e seem to give the same answer
Please quote two post which contradict each other then. Because I have not seen any.
>>
>>68821729
no one is going to believe some random person is killing. At worst they believe allah is fucking them.
>>
>>68821738
How would you know faggot.
>>
>>68821635
Everything that anon cited is obvious if you've read it. There aren't any 'vaguely hinted at' explanations in the manga for all of this stupid shit you're asking, the author was way too autistic for that.

I have a hard time understanding why you're sperging out over it so much if you've just watched the movie.
>>
>>68821767
if 1,000 criminals die from freak accidents when normaly like 15 die from those people start seeing a pattern, if it's low level then yeah no one will realize there is a kira but in that case you aren't actually effective at stopping crime at all. that makes you a small time killer that doesn't achieve anything besides spooking out some goons
>>
>>68821751
Nothing like shounen. This just proves your poor understanding of the basis of the story. If that is what you got from reading this thread then I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>68821748
No, it changes the story. It means that a legitimate threat must !measure up against the wielder of the book, not just a dude hiding behind a series of just as planned moments.

If it's all just Dr Faustus anyway and the Mephistopheles character wins no matter what, have him playing the detectives and the book user.
>>
>>68821767
Kira publicizes himself they know he's killing criminals
>>
>>68821902
But there is no way to give any kind of legitimate threat to him if he can kill everybody
>>
>>68821748
How is it limited compared to the way it is?
You need someones true name which is apparently what the person in question believes is their name.
You also need their image which ignores plastic surgery and the myriad other ways your face can change. Oh and the fact that the human memory doesn't work the way DN says it does.

The story would be easier and more elaborate if it didn't ignore its own set of convoluted rules just to push plot.
>>
>>68821896
Wasnt it published in books meant for young boys? Isn't its two characters a pair of young boys? How are you defining shounen?
>>
>>68821657
No, they made three movies
>>
>>68821808
The same way DN works nigger, by magic.
>>
>>68821986
>f it didn't ignore its own set of convoluted rules just to push plot.
Please give a single instance of this happening. I will wait...
>>
>>68821875
The Death Note could make people die however you want. You could make a gang die in a car crash together the next time they get in together, or a large terror cell die in an oil accident. Light did it the war he did to increase publicity.
>>
>>68822009
True, but he asked for anime, I gave a manga.
The movie adaptions are ok, though
Absolute god-tier casting, in terms of looking like the characters
>>
>>68821961
Like I said, the Mephistopheles character works for the cops as well indirectly. Hell, you could even keep all these precious just as planned moments and stupid rules, just to have the Death God turn around at the end and reveal he was the puppeteer of the whole thing and that even the magic book was an ordinary notepad.
>>
>>68821986
How does it ignore the rules?

you're bringing in "points"that don't happen in the story to justify them. "why doesn't it kill a doppelganger with the same name and surname" hurr the writer is so shit
>>
>>68818814
nope
>>
>>68820570
Yeah he was a retard. That's the fucking point. He thought he was smart enough to pull off playing god and killing thousands, but if he had just laid low and not gone off masskilling all criminals, no one would ever have found out about the book.
>>
>>68822067
pls retire shaymalan
>>
>>68821961
How can he kill everybody if they need a set amount of people to know their names to begin with? That limits who can be killed.

>oh that neet 2 doors down? yeah only a dozen or so people know his name so can't kill him but britney spears, millions know her, i'll kill her
>>
>>68822067
>just to have the Death God turn around at the end and reveal he was the puppeteer of the whole thing and that even the magic book was an ordinary notepad.
"Nothing in the entire plot mattered and there is no reason for this story lol"
Holy shit genius writing 10/10 absolute pottery
>>
>>68821635
>vaguely hinted at
Aside from the misinformed, most people in this thread know what has been explicitly stated as canon in the series. We know that only the true names, not the aliases of the people, are required to kill with the death note. None of the source material goes on a long philosophical rant about what constitutes a "true name" but the rules are consistent in a self-contained way i.e. when shit hits the fan he doesn't kill L using the name L because it's convenient.

People come busting into this thread saying the story is bullshit and contradicts itself and doesn't make sense when there are no "plot holes". The rules are there and they are obeyed. They're not explained because it's not relevant to the plot. The series already reveals that you can't say "a prisoner in Japan will die at the Eiffel Tower" and have it work by virtue of writing it. The rest that's unexplained is left up to the audience's interpretation because actually writing out and explaining every single way the death note works is pointless.

The rules aren't up for debate. How they're interpreted in situations not demonstrated in the series are. That's going to be subjective and you'll get different answers.
>>
>>68818583
Watch the live action movie then.

It concludes way better than the anime.
>>
>>68822158
Google. Asking people stuff. Basically everything he does in the actual anime except without any struggle
>>
>>68822048
lets say after 100 criminals died of heart attack the world realized there is a kira

if you do things they way you suggested people would realize there is a kira after lets say 10,000 death, there is a certain threshold to how much people of a certain background just die suddenly before people will realize something is going on

light wanted the world to know as quick as possible kira exists to install his sense of justice and terrorize criminals as soon as possible, but ultimately what you do leads to discovery as well, assuming you don't stop
>>
>>68818814
fuck you
>>
>>68822175
It really doesn't its a pleb ending true patricians don't dislike L dying
>>
>>68822123
But weeb, its already revealed it was a big dumb trap by the death god fucking with human lives. This elegantly and simply allows you to keep the plot as stupid as it is whilst still explaining WHY it works like that. It honestly makes more sense thus way and deep down you know it.
>>68822163
The original ended with the death god winning.
All I change is that not only does he win, he wins and shits on the souls of his human toys.
>>
>>68822032
>>68822072
You're right, it doesn't do it to push the plot along. It just does it because the authors too stupid to flesh out the DN and how the magic works.

>uses magic that can change fate
>needs someones name and image
>without both it doesn't work
This means it has inner workings and rules on how it operates, meaning magic has it's own guiding principles but it's never explained or maybe it is and I'll just wait for you guys to explain how it works to me.
>>
>>68822248
I thought L dying was great, but was severely bored with the rest of the series, sans the ending.
>>
>>68821359
it goes off the rails halfway through

too many episodes too
>>
>>68822289
What "winning" Kira was gonna die via execution or the bullet wound. The death god just finished the job
>>
>>68822205
This is different to how it works now in what way?
>>
>>68822213
Them thinking it is an actual person behind it is a pretty fucking big leap, no matter what the demographics are. People will just think God's not dead and it is the will of God that criminals are now getting btfo. It is only through contrived circumstances like Light being an idiot and killing the people right after they are shown on TV that leads to people thinking it is actually a human with supernatural powers behind it.
>>
>>68822352
I'm not the autistic anon, but the death God wins by default because he got what he wanted, which was fun at Light's expanse.
>>
>>68822173
>Rules aren't up for debate
>The rest that's unexplained is left to interpretation
You can't keep from contradicting yourself in ONE POST.
Wow.
>>
>>68822289
>The original ended with the death god winning.
No it didn't. There was never any risk of him 'losing'. Throughout the series he says repeatedly from the start "I will be the one to kill you when this is over, Light". He also says he's bored and is using Light as entertainment, because he wants to see what he'll do.
What happens at the end is Ryuk goes "Well, Light is well and truly fucked, and I've had my fill of entertainment, I'm gonna kill Light now" and then kills Light as promised and flies back to his realm, satisfied. He barely actually did anything in the series, just watched
>>
>>68822289
I dont know how much more plain I can make it.

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR WATCHED DEATH NOTE THEN YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE QUALITY OF ITS STORY IS BEYOND WORTHLESS.
>>
>>68822414
You're that same guy who keeps making autismo threads about Thor's hammer aren't you?
>>
>>68822378
> suddenly crimnals just die in masses
> OH PEOPLE JUST THINK IT'S GOD NO INVESTIGATION

by that logic no one would think there is a kira when criminals die of heart attacks, it's just god having a field day

you are a literal idiot, i'm done
>>
>>68819715
The "contrivance" is that the killer in question has a god complex and thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is (granted, he is pretty crafty and is very book-smart, but he makes quite a few stupid mistakes along the way). The god complex is made perfectly clear in the first episode, and the killer ends up being tricked into revealing which country he lives in (and which region of that country) during the second episode.
>>
>>68821364
>He doesn't kill L early on because he doesn't know what he looks like.
He killed the fake L during the first broadcast and nearly got caught because of it. It wasn't just killing him that mattered, it was doing it in a way that wouldn't implicate him.
>>
>>68822414
>The rest that's unexplained is left to interpretation
This doesn't mean that the rules are left up to interpretation, just how you can use them. 'Write the users real name' is not vague.

>>68822358
Well for one, Light can kill L, Near, Mello and all of the best detectives after he meets them for the first time
>>
>>68822307
What you want is a scientific explanation of fictional magic. You can surmise my response.
>>
>>68822307
You're a fucking idiot dude, you admit we're right but then go on complain that the book isn't an all powerful just kill that guy device

Why does it need the name?
to move the plot
Why does it need the face?
to move the plot

Try writing conflict when you can just kill anyone without needing anything, i dare you
>>
>>68822486
No you are an idiot for thinking people will leap to a supernatural human killer over any other alternative. And you don't have to make them die of a heart attack. You can just as easily make it a car crash.
>>
>>68818814
Bazinga.
>>
File: ann.jpg (104 KB, 1335x760) Image search: [Google]
ann.jpg
104 KB, 1335x760
I'm afraid the autismo in this thread is not faking it and he really is this stupid about Death Note.

I almost always assume people are just pretending to be retarded but this guy...
>>
>>68822486
>>68822568
Guys kira publicizes himself by blackmailing a tv station they know he's killing criminals
>>
>>68822428
>Death God didn't win
>He just couldn't lose
So, he won.
>He wants to toy with mortals
Why not toy with both sides of the battle?
Double the fun.

>>68822435
You keep telling yourself that.

>>68822530
But "The book can't tell who a person is if you use a person's given name even if you picture them" isn't just vague, it's retarded.

And the idea of "I can't kill that cop or else they'll figure out I have a magic book" is so stupid it makes my brain die a little.
>>
>>68822530
>'Write the users real name' is not vague.
Yet it is. What's the difference between your name and your real name?
>>
>>68822568
if the only criminals that die in some way or another are those who's faces and name are shown on the media that's when people know there is a kira. this is the pattern that people will eventually discover

it doesn't matter is it's heart attacks car accident or erotic asphyxiation
>>
>>68818814
The last time he raced, he was smoked by a Honda four door civic.
>>
>>68822568
>people dont pay attention
>think theres holes
The only holes are in your memory.

He hijacks the tv station with the broadcast with the cursive K over the snow.
>>
>>68822695
That kind of theory wpoulkd get debated on /x/, not investigated by any legitimate authority.
>>
>>68822657
>So, he won.
No. He was never part of the 'game' to begin with. He was a spectator.

>But "The book can't tell who a person is if you use a person's given name even if you picture them" isn't just vague, it's retarded.

>And the idea of "I can't kill that cop or else they'll figure out I have a magic book" is so stupid it makes my brain die a little.

>If I keep saying its stupid or retarded maybe I'll be right

>>68822669
Your birth name.
>>
>>68822657
>"The book can't tell who a person is if you use a person's given name even if you picture them"

who the hell said this man? you need a face and name to kill why wouldn't it work?

are you this retarded?
>>
>>68822248

What? L has to die or its pleb shit. Plus he's the antagonist.

>>68822312
In the live action movie L maneuvers Kira into a situation where by killing him the world will know Light is Kira. Kira falls for it
>>
>>68818814
[spolier]if the person of that last post read this and dont reply to this, his mother will die tonight[/spoiler]
>>
>>68822790
if a huge amount of criminals die suddenly with absoulutely no pattern connecting them then yes

if there is a pattern of a face and name then no

and even if it was still no, you aren't stopping crime without exposing kira, is it's a null effort
>>
>>68817859
so if he can kill that decoy even he didnt knkw his name then why couldnt he kill l
>>
Why did he make people die via heart attacks? Was there no other way to end somebody?
>>
>>68822896
He knew the name it was written on his desk
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.