[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asian Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10
So, any weebs here that watch asian movies, or just me?

Got any recommendations? Just saw a pretty cool Korean movie called Oldboy. It's a mystery thriller.

>"The film follows the story of Oh Dae-su, who is locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing the identity of his captor or his captor's motives. When he is finally released, Dae-su finds himself still trapped in a web of conspiracy and violence."

My favorite asian flick of all time is Infernal Affairs, a chinese film which is what "The Departed" is based off of. Watch it in cantonese, not mandarin.

Also Ip Man is pretty cool.
>>
I saw the devil is good
>>
Spirited Away, it's a bit of an underground movie but it's great!
Watch it in Japanese of course ;)
>>
New World 2013
>>
>>68803090

Oldboy is GOAT.

IA is good. But I just couldn't watch the sequel, because I simply wasn't able to differentiate between the characters.. They all look the same and the complicated storyline doesn't help.
>>
>babbys first chinese action thriller

overrated pleb garbage desu
>>
>>68803719
say what movies you like then, or shut up kid
>>
Memories of Murder, The Chaser, Joint Security Area, The Host, Cure, Hard Boiled

All good asian (mostly Korean) films
>>
>>68803090
I've watched a ton of Korean action/thrillers this year they're fantastic. Check out The Chaser, A Bittersweet Life, The Man From Nowhere, New World... there's probably more I'm forgetting
>>
File: 011001010010.jpg (49 KB, 606x732) Image search: [Google]
011001010010.jpg
49 KB, 606x732
>>68803719
>chinese
>>
>>68803856
sorry for the mistake, it's taiwanese
>>
>>68803875
tell us what films you like so we can judge, mr superior movie taste
>>
>>68803090
i hear the rest of the trilogy is worth watching, ive only seen mr vengeance but it was decent
>>
>>68803090
>>68803301
>>68803399
>>68803533
P l e b entry-level shit.

>>68803793
Barely scratching the surface.

Wong Kar-wai is the greatest Asian director there is, after Ozu. Koreans don't make good films.
>>
>>68803915
they're all good
>>
>>68803924
name the best asian films you got then, rather than insulting

help us have better taste
>>
File: mom1.jpg (99 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
mom1.jpg
99 KB, 500x667
>>68803090
Just watch pic relate. Easily the best korean movie. Oldboy is pleb tier.
>>
File: Breathless-affiche1.jpg (146 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
Breathless-affiche1.jpg
146 KB, 466x700
absoulute depressing kino
>>
>>68803924
Wong is good, yes, but there's no need to glorify him. Here's your *tip*.
>>
>>68803090
>>
>>68803924

There's always that one faggot that comes into the thread, acts superior and contributes nothing. No one cares what you think, loser.
>>
>>68803915
Lady Vengeance is my favorite. I also really like Thirst.
>>
am I the only one here who thinks Wong Kar Wai is... kind of overrated? I mean his movies look great and all but they're kind of... boring. I liked Chungking a lot though
>>
>>68803924
Lee Chang Dong you filthy fucking pleb. Best director in the world currently.
>>
Raid & Raid 2

Battle Royal
>>
>>68804289
>In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.

That sounds interesting. If it were an anime, it would be cheesy as fuck. I'll check it out though.
>>
>>68804150
you're not old enough and lack the experiences to fully appreciate him.

im not the other guy who mentioned him but ill say this; wong kar-wai is the greatest living director.
>>
>>68804345
you're left out. you should go see it
>>
I thought teenagers taking over /tv/ was a meme.
>>
>>68804150
Which of his have you seen?
>>
>>68804406
You're not sounding any more mature than them, honestly. Sounds like you're newer.
>>
>>68804406
Kill yourself my man
>>
>>68804431
Chungking Express, Fallen Angels and In The Mood For Love, in that order. Loved Chunking, couldn't finish Fallen Angels, only just recently watched ITMFL and thought it was just... decent.

I guess I really am in the minority here. Please tell me what I'm missing.
>>
Seems as good a thread to ask as any. What exactly is the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin? I always have it as an option in Chinese movies and never know which to pick.
>>
>>68803719

>Muh sekrit fandom

Go fuck yourself you pretentious hipster cunt.
>>
>>68804621
Well ITMFL has been hailed as one of the GOAT and is one of only two films post-2000 to make it onto the greatest 50 films of all time (BFI's critics poll). So I think the problem is you being a massive pleb. Fallen Angels is 10x better than Chungking, too.
>>
>>68803090

Attack the Gas Station
Gozu
A Bittersweet Life
>>
>>68804716
Well I'm sorry to hear that. Could you perhaps tell me what you like about them?
>>
>>68803090
I'm A Cyborg, (But It's OK)

for ultimate autism,

Going By The Book.
>>
>>68804345
Do it, it's got the hot mace bitch from Kill Bill in it.
>>
>>68804652
cantonese sounds better to me. But when in doubt, choose the original. If it's dubbed, it's bad. No exceptions.
>>
Why Don't You Play In Hell?
>>
>>68803924
KWK made only good movies whenever he had Christopher Doyle as a cinematographer.

He is literal shit without him.
>>
Shadows in the palace is fucking underrated

Top tier Korean palace-drama thriller with the usual rotten faced asian ghost in it, bretty good
>>
>>68803090
Crows Zero
>>
>>68803090
Perfect Blue (1997)
Paprika (2006)
Tokyo Story (1953)
>>
Love Exposure
>>
Which is your favourite Kim Ki Duk movie, lads?

Personally I prefer Shi Gan (Time) from 2006, it's pretty clever desu
>>
>>68803967
pot kettle black
>>
>>68805463
good movie
>>
>>68804345
>Battle Royal
How many films have this same theme? Put randoms on an island and make them kill each other/hunt them/see them survive...

Earliest I can think of is Turkey Hunt, And the other one with steve austin in it.
>>
>>68808918
it's entertaining. but probably hundreds.
>>
File: p1.jpg (89 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
p1.jpg
89 KB, 700x1000
the best
>>
Watch more Lau Kar Leung you cunts
>>
I only watch underground movies nobody else ever heard of.
I liked a movie called The Journey, a Malaysian movie about a Chinese-Malaysian girl who went to England and met a guy there, and they're coming back to Malaysia for their wedding.
>>
>>68811672
looks shit desu
i'm also a hipster cunt, id recc
>on the occasion of remembering the turning gate
>the day he arrives
>right now wrong then
they're all by sang-soo ho, but they're the shit
>>
File: poetry.jpg (182 KB, 470x323) Image search: [Google]
poetry.jpg
182 KB, 470x323
>>68803090
>If you want cool Korean thrillers check out:
Memories of Murder
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
I saw the Devil
The Man from Nowhere
JSA

>Awesome lighthearted Korean drama/comedies movies:
Castaway on the Moon
Attack the Gas Station
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK
The Foul King

>Superb dramas that makes you want to kill yourself or live the rest of your life like it was your last days:
Poetry (2010/2011)
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
3-Iron / Bin-jip
Peppermint Candy

This is imo the best / most watchable from Korea. You should especially check out the movies from Ki-duk Kim and Lee Chang-dong.
>>
>>68804012
>Thirst
Really did not like it. I felt it got so boring halfway through.
>>
>>68804652
>What exactly is the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin?
Whats the difference between English and French?
Well they are different languages. Just pick the original language. Lots of HK movies are dubbed to mandarin as the mainlanders are like the Americans, only speak one language.
>>
>>68804766
>Going By The Book.
Sadly it was much more boring than I hoped for. I was expecting a really cool and funny movie, but it was just pure autism... Neither good action or particularly funny.
You know of any recent good Korean movies? Have not watched any Korean movies from the last 3 years.
>>
>>68803090
Death Powder
The Red Spectacles
Virus (aka Day of Resurrection)

if you watch these 3 movies back to back i guarantee you're whole life will be different afterwards
>>
>>68805790
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.. and Spring. The scenery is just so beautiful.
But I have to say I really enjoyed The Coast Guard, as it was just so incredible strange and twisted.
I have not wactched enough of his movies. After I saw Poetry by Lee, I just could not watch any more dramas. Been watching only shitty american action movies since I was so emotionally drained from Poetry.
>>
I often see a webm posted of some Chinese girl (i think Chinese) dancing in the street with a blank expression on her face as the camera zooms in on her face. Anyone know what webm I'm talking about about and what film it's from?
>>
Thoughts on his films? Don't bother mentioning Snowpiercer, it's easily his worst to date.
>>
>>68813138
I would have enjoyed Spring more if I understood the philosophy. Thankfully in my law school the philosophy teacher likes this movie and explained how it's a mix of Buddhism and Christianity and the motifs in it so a rewatch is bound to happen
>>
>>68815152
I dont feel like the philosophy was that unique to Korean culture and Buddhism. It is very broad and something that almost every religion and culture can recognize.
It was quite general about the life and death cycle. Life inevitably leads to death and from death new life is born. We all do mistakes and we try to pass on the knowledge to the next, so that they might learn it from us.
And that women are evil and makes the worst in men come out.
Koreans generally hate Kim Ki-Duk as they say he is a women hater (especially Korean uni females). But he is not, he does not hate women, at worst he hates how womens sexuality makes men act irrationally.

I really liked the movie because of the very blunt and used up, but beautiful metaphor on how life is like the seasons.

If you have not seen it before, check out Lee Sand-dong's movies. He tells more powerful stories than Kim, but Kim's movies are more beautiful to watch. Kim studied fine arts (and painting?) in Paris and it clearly shows in how he frames his shots.
>>
Love Exposure is one of the best movies of all time.
>>
>>68813225
Memories of Murder is probably the best (non art-house drama) movie from Korea. Literally amazing. But I found his other works lacking.
Mother, Barking dogs never bite and Snowpircer was ok/good movies, but lacked the special touch. And I have to agree with Kim Ki-duk, The Host, a reflection of the Korean audience (aka shit).
>>
>>68815782

Mother is a masterpiece.

The Host is great too.

I haven't seen the others.
>>
>>68815614
I will check it out for sure, thanks. I read about how they hate Kim, but really they should appreciate the top tier filmography he made even if he criticises Korean society. Time made them really angry, but to be honest, it needed to be shot because they are going full retard with their plastic surgery culture. I also liked how he has shown their women's obsessive nature in relationships.
>>
File: ChineseKino.jpg (217 KB, 736x1121) Image search: [Google]
ChineseKino.jpg
217 KB, 736x1121
>>68803090
>>
File: HHH.jpg (139 KB, 1198x1198) Image search: [Google]
HHH.jpg
139 KB, 1198x1198
ITT:
plebs
>>
>>68815820
>Mother is a masterpiece.
What was so great about Mother? I just dont get it.
>>
>>68815929
>ime made them really angry
Should be only a few, since Koreans dont watch his movies.
They truly have shit taste when it comes to movies in general.
I am learning Korean atm and my dream is to be on one of Kim's sets and help out for one of his movies.
I was so captivated by Spring... and by 3-iron. Those and Castaway on the Moon and Poetry literally changed my life.
>>
>>68816773

what flick is this?
>>
>>68803924
korean cinema is pure trash outside of a few well known mainstream films
deal with it, mouthbreather
>>
>>68816045
> HHH
No thanks, I want my movies to have a plot
>>
>>68817026
The last years have been trash, but their art-house directors are amazing.
The general quality took a deep dive after one of the cinema chains grabbed about 70% of the market share. Since the owners of the movie chains also are the production companies. So now there is very little competition and they just shit out Hollywood look-alike flicks and terrible nationalistic cash-in movies.
>>
>>68817130
>t. I have only seen The Assassin and I didn't understand it
>>
>>68808080
have you seen the sequels? i saw 2 but i forgot most of it, haven't got a good download of explode yet
>>
>>68811124
36th Chamber goat
>>
>>68816773
i watched attack the gas station a while back and it was probably the comfiest asian movie i've seen. you're definitely right about dark movies too. the outrage/outrage beyond movies are comfy as hell, and they're all about yakuza members getting their fingers cut off and shit.
>>
>>68817171

most of his movies are like that desu

you definitely need a decent attention span to appreciate them, and he's been white-praised quite a bit for being different.
>>
>>68817318
>comfiest
Want comfy? Check out Castaway on the Moon.
Not dark or any yakuza shit, but lots of feels and many people on 4chan can relate to the shut-in internet addict. Truly worth a watch.
>>
Suzhou River is a comfy ass movie
>>
>>68817402
lots of feels is pretty good. i saw the constable ages ago which is all about this police officer with a retarded kid. made me sob like a bitch. thanks for the recommendation, you got any others? i have a tb drive i want to fill with asian shit.
>>
File: StillTheWater.jpg (692 KB, 945x1260) Image search: [Google]
StillTheWater.jpg
692 KB, 945x1260
>>
>>68803090
The Yellow Sea
That one is brilliant. (Chinese / korean)
>>
>>68817171
> Makes a shit movie
> contrarians fall for the 'didn't understand it meme'

It's just a bad movie, I don't give a shit if the old dudes eyebrows were symbolic of Chinas imperialstic tendecnies vs Tibet, it's was badly written, flat and dull.
>>
I WONDER WHAT GONG LI'S PUSSY TASTES LIKE. GONG LI, IF YOU'RE READING THIS. I'LL LIKC UR PUSSY, HAHA!
>>
>>68817483
I wrote my list here: >>68812862
It is a mix of accessible light movies to more hard depressing dramas.
I enjoyed all of them greatly. All of them are in order of how I enjoyed them within their own category.
But I have not watched Peppermint candy yet as I am afraid it will affect me as much as poetry did and I don't have the capacity to do that yet. Saving it for a rainy day later.
>>
>>68817661
i've seen the sympathy trilogy, i saw the devil, man from nwhere and attack the gas station and enjoyed them a ton so no doubt i'll enjoy the rest, thanks man
>>
this is probably the greatest bait thread I've seen in a long time, it's so subtle that most people don't even realize it's bait and the ones who are getting baited are being treated like baiters. truly next level bait.
>>
Brotherhood of War was a pretty decent war movie albeit a bit cheesy.
>>
>>68817840
Check out A bittersweet life, another gangster movie but one of the best from Korea.
Also A dirty Carnival is not too bad either.
>>
Harakiri
Branded to kill
musashi miyamoto trilogy
kung fu hustle
magnificent butcher
>>
The good The bad and The weird
A moment to remember
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.