[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read "Leviatan wakes" The second season of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: the-expanse-tv-series-poster.png (574 KB, 584x877) Image search: [Google]
the-expanse-tv-series-poster.png
574 KB, 584x877
I read "Leviatan wakes"

The second season of this show gonna be total shit. Screencap this.
>>
>>68801857

What? What happens? wait I don't want it spoiled though but I still want to know why it will be shit
>>
>>68801857

the most interesting part of the book is going to make for a shit second season? nah tu aqua
>>
File: what i got.jpg (398 KB, 2640x683) Image search: [Google]
what i got.jpg
398 KB, 2640x683
>>68801881
The end will be like in the Fifth element.

Love saves the infected "dead space" asteroid from falling on Earth.
>>68801955
Well I lost all interest when they eggsplain that this virus was some kind of ayy imao weapon aimed on Earth and it was just pulled by Saturn during flight.

THANK YOU BASED SATURN!
>>
File: expanse-opening-titles-saturn.jpg (36 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
expanse-opening-titles-saturn.jpg
36 KB, 672x372
The intro was good though in this show
>>
>>68802029
>Well I lost all interest when they eggsplain that this virus was some kind of ayy imao weapon

It's alien nanotech tasked with creating portals connecting worlds together, not a weapon.
>>
>>68802825
That's even worse.
Fucking "Contact" with Jodi Foster.
Fuck all aliens.
>>
>>68802926
>Fuck all aliens.

Aliens are all dead, the focus is always on the humans and their politics. All they ever find are some remaining relics of a galaxy spanning civilization that was wiped out aeons ago.
>>
>>68802926

Much more advanced than Contact, it's the universal problem of why we're not picking up any other signals in the universe right now. Either species out there are so old that shit like radio signals is beneath them or we're alone sort of deal.

Something that is beyond your understanding isn't something you want to get the attention of. The dialogue about it in the second book is pretty interesting and I think you would like even more than the first book.

The only other choice is to leave an un-explainable mystery. I think as a reader that can be far worse than not having an explanation at least I, personally enjoyed the reveal.

The ending of the second book will get you laughing, that is all I'm going to say. It gave me a wtf moment. It is a much more satisfying conclusion than the first book and actually makes holden a little more bearable.
>>
File: Can-Aliens-Hear-Us.png (207 KB, 577x960) Image search: [Google]
Can-Aliens-Hear-Us.png
207 KB, 577x960
>>68803016
>it's the universal problem of why we're not picking up any other signals in the universe right now. Either species out there are so old that shit like radio signals is beneath them or we're alone sort of deal.

Not even that. The inverse square law causes radio signals to degrade over vast distances. So a radio signal from another galaxy is only going to catch a very very small fraction of an alien radio signal if there is one. Even then it will just look like background noise because its so degraded.
>>
>>68803104

Wouldn't the hitler speech be the first thing they see?
>>
>>68803016
>it's the universal problem of why we're not picking up any other signals in the universe right now.
Because there aint any. Deal with it.
Why every fucking space sci-fi should be concerned about ayyy imao shit. Are there any fiction with no aliens at all?
>>
>>68803104
>Aliens take star trek to be a documentary
>View us as a threat and attack immediately

JUST
>>
>>68803217

Plot device to create mystery is why the writers added ayy lmaos, or the idea of them anyway. The guys that created the series are grrm's butt boys so who knows but they're most likely copying the high concept model of adding more realistic, light-fantasy elements but instead of fantasy they add light veneer of space opera or scifi.

Aliens instead of dragons rather.
>>
>>68803263

We should erect one broadcast station to continuously play Starship troopers over and over again. Nobody will ever contact us.
>>
>>68803104
>be from alien culture
>only entertainment are reality shows, talk shows and national geographic
>scientists freak out as they discover this strange radiowave signal from buttfuck nowhere of the universe
>spend years decoding it
>finally figured out how to covert it to video feed
>translate it live on alien TV
>"fuck me, these hairless monkeys sure love killing eachother"
>>
The book was fucking dumb. It really suffered from that "plucky hero forces the powerful guy to do something" bullshit and it keeps doing it.

Dudes should have been shoved out of an airlock by page 250. They live in this guy's place, he fixes their ship in the shipyards he controls, but they push him around and often.

The book should have ended with Fred pushing a button and venting the air from their ship that he keeps repairing for them. Then sending a shuttle over and prying the Macguffin from their cold desiccated fingers.

I figure on real life you might get away with blackmailing someone who is ruthless and powerful once, and then you'd better run like hell. In this fucking series it's what the main characters do and the powerful people just shake their heads and take it. Over and over again. It's so god damned dumb.
>>
>>68803969

they always had leverage against OPA, shit all they had to do is keep a message on stand-by and he would be dead within the week.

You act like Earth or Mars needs much of a reason to frag someone, did you read the book? They were more hesitant in the tv-show but in the book rockets started flying over literally nothing and they began glassing the belt in very short time over hunting 'pirates' and 'extremists'
He wants the belt to have a seat at table which is very clear by end of book 1.
>>
>>68804058
And he keeps letting these people run around with a humanity killer. There's a difference between leverage and straight blackmail. They were well in his power but were never in any danger. His workmen were in their ship constantly. These guys were ex-military but assassination is relatively easy and not something they train you for in deck-swabbing academy.

They slept in the rooms Fred gave them. They left for weeks at a time and came back to the same rooms. Fred should have and could have easily killed them. He really should have. hose guys were reckless as fuck.
>>
>>68804170

that is a problem in a lot of stories, I agree it is a story weakness but plenty of characters are either one dimensional or written in such a way that doesn't make them very human seeming except for miller..

I mean Holden should have been dead long before he ever reached Johnson, lets be honest. Someone like that in real life would have had an 'accident' long before then. Nobody that forthright and naive lasts in nature. It is the House evolution thought experiment. One guy sees another approaching. One guy runs, One guy fights, the other gladly goes out and greets said stranger and dies.

Most people can easily write better but sometimes it isn't about the other character which is what you're focusing on. Johnson becomes the vehicle for whatever the writer wants to convey and outside plot elements like doing rational things are sacrificed for narrative flow and story cohesion.

Holden is on an epic quest to get his +5 alien molecule to the right people and solve the mystery!

Holden enters the room but fails to check for traps! It doesn't matter Holden has Plot armor +6

Holden easily survives his stupidity and failed rolls!

QED, story over.
>>
File: Penny-Dreadful-Season-3.jpg (41 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Penny-Dreadful-Season-3.jpg
41 KB, 640x360
It's like this god awful show. The one dude's in charge and makes all the decisions, right? Well, this other guy tells him to his face that he's a goat fucking chunder cunt and he hopes his son is rotting in hell. How does the man in charge respond?

"Lets work together."

The plucky dude speaking truth to power story requires an unrealistic amount of forbearance on the part of the other character, and it always takes me out of the story. Yeah, it's nice to have a guy told what's what, but there should be fucking consequences.

If you blackmail someone or threaten everything they worked for and get away with it, the relationship should be, has to be over. No one's fucking dumb enough to keep someone in their plans that they cannot count on or control.

How Holden treated Miller wasn't the bad part. That shit made sense. The fucked up story killing part (for me) was that no one treated Holden like that.
>>
>screencap this
why is this a thing

why did you people leave facebook/twitter?
>>
>>68804568

Miller treats him like shit but the worst part for me is at the end of the very first novel when he tells Johnson, miller is a good man.

Considering miller was right about literally everything and Holden never gets touched by anything.

You want to talk about consequences? How about that shit.

Chandler is already eternally fucked over. so unless you mean Bond lying to chandler to manipulate him? I mean his daughter got turned into a monster..and his gay butt buddy got murdered, his son got killed. He has had plenty of consequences.

Holden is walking around with cheat codes on in comparison.
>>
>>68804685
Chandler, as far as he knows is just a guy with a gun, and holy shit the way Chandler talks to him on numerous occasions. I'm talking very low blows.

It isn't about what we know about Chandler. It's about what the other characters know about him. He's not a main character to them. He's got trouble with the law and was a turn of the century carny. They don't know he's cursed. They do know that he has one hell of an attitude.

Holden doesn't really treat him like shit. Holden does exactly what he said he would do. Holden doesn't know MIller doesn't have anywhere else to go. Miller was on that ship as a part of the crew and what the captain says goes.

The problem is that no one else in the story acts like a Captain. They keep going "aw shucks, you sure got me good that time. For my next intricate plan I need you to be right in the middle. Again. I sure hope I can count on you to not do exactly the same thing and fuck me over again."

I've got the second book on my counter, but I don't think I can make myself read it.
>>
MARS PRIDE SYSTEM WIDE

GAS THE BELTERS

SPACE WAR NOW
>>
File: 1451673000194.jpg (236 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451673000194.jpg
236 KB, 1280x720
>>68805109
>>
>>68805038

The second book is much better as a story piece compared to the first. I really just liked the first book for Miller.

Second is much better.

Well Bond is looking for hired guns to help him with his monster problem so honestly that is all he needs to know about chandler. That is why he wants him around and I think you're forgetting he lost his son..and in a way manipulates Chandler so he will keep helping him with doctor frankenstein, with Vanessa, with his vampire problem.. I mean surrogate son theme, he manipulates and lies to chandler, chandler saves vanessa and the day with that exorcism. I think you're forgetting key pieces of that first season.

Is chandler a douchebag at times? of course but everyone except the man servant is kind of a dick in terms of character interactions. Some of the stuff he says to vanessa is just cruel, so I have little sympathy for him when other people are dicks to him.

what I meant with how he treats miller is that, Miller does whatever it takes, even if it upsets people in the book to save the day, he even does it with Johnson who is supposed to be a stone cold murderer. Especially during the secret lab raid. Miller always does whats necessary. They contrast it with Johnson because he lost that after massacre. He did wrong, that is the difference.

Miller goes afters Holden because Holden got tons of people killed because he didn't take a second to think his actions through. He beat up on Miller emotionally when he was already injured and lost everything, he didn't know that, true but that doesn't redeem Holden.
>>
File: Dominique_Tipper_(2012).jpg (493 KB, 1602x2840) Image search: [Google]
Dominique_Tipper_(2012).jpg
493 KB, 1602x2840
These are some nice dominican tits
>>
>>68801857
op u dont know shit
>>
>>68801857
I'll watch it anyway to experience this disappointment firsthand. Besides, if it's good up until the moment it becomes shit, then nothing is lost, can just drop it there and then.
>>
>>68801857
Fuck, I hope you're wrong. This was the only visually appealing and watchable sci-fi TV series I've seen recently.
>>
>>68803104
wooo I like this img
>>
>>68803217
Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Foundation series
>>
>>68801857
lol this show ended months ago you read slow as shit, what are you 10?
>>
>>68806998
Sense8 certainly is visually appealing
>>
>>68802178
why the fuck was it only in the first episode tho
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.