[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? I still get angry 6 years later thinking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12
File: Lost-season1.jpg (119 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Lost-season1.jpg
119 KB, 800x600
What went wrong? I still get angry 6 years later thinking about how this ended.
>>
The ending they went with was probably the best thing they could have done considering the progression of the series. Honestly there is nothing wrong with the ending, season 6 though is completely shit with the exception of Richard's backstory which was interesting.
>>
>>68801802
I found season 6 the weakest on first viewing, but watching it again placed it in my top three of the show. Knowing what the flashsideways were helped a lot towards that. your mileage may vary, of course
>>
The show kept going after what'shername detonated an atomic bomb in her own face.

Perfect ending.
>>
wasn't a bad ending, there's worse, and some without any. it's a show about viewing then the ending. it's like voyager, it's not about the reveal.
>>
It was a great ending... on season 3. After that, it was a different show with different characters. And it was pure shit.
>>
People hated it because it turned religious and the unenlightened cannot stand that.
>>
>>68802269
But it wasn't religious as much as it was just... spiritual. Kinda of cool, not like it was ever done before. Just I think good shows now realize you need to ramp down the final season better..
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1000x1500
Not enough Kate episodes
>>
File: jackdadhug.jpg (17 KB, 352x264) Image search: [Google]
jackdadhug.jpg
17 KB, 352x264
>hugging intensifies
>>
>>68801739
Nothing.every episode is a masterpiece of TV
>>
File: losts3.jpg (263 KB, 955x1053) Image search: [Google]
losts3.jpg
263 KB, 955x1053
Re watching the show. Literally watched the season 3 finale tonight. My gf did not understand this scene. Her response was "I have no idea what is going on". I had to explain it to her minutes after the episode was over that it was a flash forward. Should I leave her /tv/?
>>
Finished my rewatch of the show a month ago or so and, man, a lot of things went wrong. They seem to completely lose grip of a lot of characters as quick as season 2, even though I love Seasons 2 and 3. Forget having an entitled need for answers, I just wish the writers took more time to give proper character motivations, because a lot of it feels blurred and uninspired after the first one.

I love the first one so much. It felt so focused. Survival and getting rescued were top priorities, life on the island felt like it had a purpose, everyone had something they had to cope with and they were getting to know each other. When all this became secondary and survival no longer played a role, most of the cast were suddenly left without much to work with. The show should have always kept life on the island an interesting factor, but unfortunately as quick as season 2 this stops being a factor and everything becomes driven by outside factors such as the others.

1 > 3 > 2 > Power Gap > 4 > 5 > 6
>>
File: damon_lindelof-2.jpg (54 KB, 407x600) Image search: [Google]
damon_lindelof-2.jpg
54 KB, 407x600
>>
>>68803108

That's... really bad. I was recently rewatching it with my friend who isn't even into movies or shows and he was guessing every development before it occurred. It was pretty irritating.
>>
>>68803108
shut the fuck up
>>
>>68801739
>tfw marathoning entire series and can't get past season 6's first episode. Ive been stuck there over half a year.
>>
>>68803108
What'd you think of season 3 on rewatch? Did you like it more or less than 2?

I used to prefer season 2 but after I rewatched the show I found 3 to be way better.
>>
>>68803187
The first episode is one of the better ones too.
>>
>>68803108
Is she slow or was she just not paying attention?
>>
>>68803182
Sorry man. I make the topic jokingly, clearly I'm not going to leave her. But her ability to not follow a pretty straight forward narrative? It's kind of disheartening?
I wonder what the thought process of during the entire last scene, thinking it was a flashback? Not clicking at some point and going "OHHHHHHHHH". It wouldn't make any god damn sense. They say they have to "go back" about 10 times. At what point does your brain not realize whats going on?
>>
>>68803226
She loves the show, she can't wait to watch it honestly and it is her idea to watch it. It's not my decision to watch it, but I've seen the show about 4 times already.
I dunno man.
>>
>>68803232
leave her
>>
>>68803258
Well is she dumb outside of this or is it just her struggling to understand non-linear narratives? I figure you know her well enough to know if she's a total airhead or not, she doesn't have to be a complete fuckwad for goofing up big time watching the show.
>>
>>68802168

That's fucking bullshit. You could make that argument about season 1-2, but afterwards, they completely give up the idea of the episodic stuff (beyond a few filler eps).

>>68801739

They tried catering to people who wanted "answers." This was pretty much doomed to fail, since they didn't know what the fuck to use to explain everything.

The funny thing is, it's not like they explained everything anyway. They did this half-assed job where they offered too much info to keep the mystical atmosphere going, and too little info for anyone that was looking for any cohesive explanations.

I also think they made some terrible calls starting in S2, especially with Locke's character, and killing him off was stupid. It's even worse when you go on to S6 and see his interactions in the sideflashes with Ben, and remember how good the show was when they were both alive and going at it.

I mean, at least for me, Locke vs. Jack and their two different mindsets about what was going on was absolutely central to Lost. Jack going against MIB had almost zero emotional payoff, especially when you consider the fact that, at the end of the day, Jacob is kind of a piece of shit.

They fucked up the characters, the pace, the mythos, and continually gave in to this idea that they have to shock people instead of offering the satisfying drama with a bit of mystery that made S1 so intriguing and satisfying to watch. Everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong.
>>
>>68803188
I love season 1. I think it holds up after the year mostly because of the limited mystery and strong character development.
Season 2 feels better on re watches because The Hatch is genuinely a good and interesting mystery. While the middle is slow the first 4 episodes are great, the Henry Gale arc is quite good, the finale is fantastic, also Two for the Road is probably the most shocking episode of the series.
Season 3 is still pretty strong? The show starts to feel really complex and the mysterys start piling up, which is a good or bad thing depending on what you want the show to be. For me personally Season 3 has two of my favorite episodes, Flashes Before Your Eyes and Through the Looking Glass Part 2. The finale is always great.
I would put season 2 above 3, perhaps because it's more contained as a story?
>>
Season 5 has such a god awful start, it doesn't get good until LaFleur where the 70s Dharma storyline starts. But god, those first 7 episodes are terribly boring
>>
>>68803331

Also, on a personal sidenote

>killing juliet
>leaving kate alive

>kate gets off the island and goes on with her life
>michael is basically condemned to hell

>actually keeping kate in the show for 6 fucking seasons

Not saying the good guys always have to win, but fucking come on.
>>
>>68803331
I will say Lockes stroy line, once you finish the show, is quite disappointing.

He literally was "chosen", for quite awhile has the best episode, but once everything is said and done he was just SORT OF favored by Jacob, then used by everyone (MiB, Ben), didn't accomplish anything in his life, and got killed by Ben. The End.
Quite a tragic story.
>>
>>68803438
THIS the big locke reveal with him being dead made me so mad
>>
>>68803438

It really was. And he did a lot of truly dumb shit in S2 which an even in S3 that seemed out of character to me.

But goddamn, that scene in S6 when they're at the school and Ben goes 'Who's gonna listen to me? and Locke goes 'I'm listening.'

I went and found the link actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhM04ftbWHM

That fucking subtle smile. Terry fucking made this show.
>>
>>68803480
Upon reveal at the end of Season 5 it was a big good LOST twist, and made you go "OH SHIT".
After the show is over however and you understand what the flash sideways really are...that's when you stop and go "Wait, so he just got hung by Ben, and that was it. That was his life. Damn."
>>
>>68801739
>What went wrong? I still get angry 6 years later thinking about how this ended.

I realized they were gonna fuck it up at the start of season 2 when they just glossed over a bunch of shit in their cliffhanger.

Then I hate watched and saw with glee how fucking shit it was and how everyone was saying "it'll all pay off, the creators have a plan, look at all the clues, it'll all make sense in the end".

And then like shell shock victims they bought the line of the creators after it was over. "It was about the /characters/, it's not supposed to make sense".

The entire show leaned on the mystery aspect like a crutch because they didn't have a story to tell or characters interesting enough to carry the story.
>>
>>68803371
Season 2 definitely has that core of the hatch which makes it feel more contained, yeah. That said, I think just about every character that season became significantly less interesting than after the first season. Almost every main character has nothing to do for most of the season, it's a whole lot of aimless meandering. Season 3 felt like it brought some life back into the people of the island, rather than this constant haze where you really have no idea what anybody is doing, they all seem so completely secondary to the hatch, which even that plot staggers for so long until something interesting happens.

Season 2 has filler thinly veiled as something made up to seem important. Season 3 has fun filler that reminds you of the individuals living on the island.
>>
>>68803622
So, serious question, what television shows do you truly enjoy? What are your personal favorites? I am not hating, not trolling, just wondering. As someone who really enjoyed LOST during its run, I wonder what someone who didn't enjoy it likes from their viewing experience.
>>
File: pepe angry6.jpg (2 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
pepe angry6.jpg
2 KB, 125x121
>>68803208
I know. That god damn lighthouse episode. Jesus fucking Christ wut. Oh yeah theres been a magical fucking lighthouse down the beach from were yall lived in the caves.
>>
Season 5 was my favorite season to be honest I don't care what anyone says Season 2 got quite boring in a lot of episodes because it was just "push the button" I loved seeing sawyer's character development and seeing all the past characters.
>>
>>68803622

>characters interesting enough to carry the story.

This is objectively false. Everything in Lost was about the characters. The mystery was like 5% in the first season, and the rest was all character drama, with the flashbacks, their interactions, etc.

If you honestly think Ben and John weren't interesting enough to carry a story I don't know what to tell you.

It's precisely the lack of focus on character and the shift towards a plot-focused show that led to the downfall of Lost.

I can't even think off the top of my head of a show with as many likable characters, except maybe Sopranos.
>>
>>68803187
>>68803684
>>68803208
As someone who has, no joke, watched this show 4 times through...season 6 is such a let down. The Flash sideways are almost better than the shit happening on the island. Even after repeated viewing I still can barely tell you what happens in season 6 other than key plots points which includes things like "Richards flashback, Jacob and MiB, LOL MAGIC LIGHT, LOL CORK, LOL DEAD" It's really such a bad season when compared to the rest of the show.
>>
>>68803669

I was burned by the X Files already, you have to understand that. I've seen the suspense build up and mystery plot bait & switch before.

I think Sopranos would be a good example of a show that did what Lost claimed to be doing at the end. A character driven tv show that refused to have a real plot, so much that fans were pissed when it "just ended" (even though the implication is he gets shot, there are no answers).

As for what I enjoy it's the usual list you've seen a million times and it's irrelevant to the conversation.

Stand arguments on merit, trying to nail down why I'm a bad tv watcher and how that explains why I just didn't understand your amazing kino tv show is pathetic.
>>
>>68803715
Season 5, especially with DHARMA, is quite fun. Dharma Jack is easily my favorite character in the show.
>Kate "I liked the old Jack better."
>Jack "No...you didn't"
Fucking destroyed.
>>
>>68803512
Yeah. Terry is what made John Locke as memorable as he was. Because unfortunately the writing for that character got really muddled and strange after the first season. That's speaking more about the island stuff, I think with the exception of "Further Instructions" his flashback storyline is really good.

There were so many missteps with that character. I don't know why it was so hard to write him a more important role and involve him in the storyline in a meaningful way. Season 3 is a prime example of that, he should have become the camps new leader after Jack was captured and lead a rescue mission based on actual knowledge, by either tracking or whatever it may be. Instead we get that really forced and dumb sun reflecting off Eko's stick, already 3 seasons in and the character feels like a parody of his season 1 self.
>>
>>68803746

That's because the side-flashes were pretty much put there to give us a false sense of catharsis which couldn't be solved by any of the shit happening on the island.

Like I said to that shitposter above, Lost was always about the characters and getting a good emotional payoff out of their stories. People who think they watched it for "the mystery" are dumb and don't even understand why they enjoyed it in the first place.

To this day I'm amazed by how comfy S1 is. It has perfect amounts of everything: depth, humor, mystery, action, drama. Absolute perfection.
>>
>>68803108
>tfw I realized what was happening when I saw Jack using a cell phone that came out the year the episode aired
>>
>>68803746
I know. Couldn't watch it on 3rd run through.
>>
>>68803784
Been really long since I watched season 5, but I remember the 70s dharma storyline fondly. I don't know how well it'd hold up if I were to rewatch it, but I remember it being comfy and feeling like there was a sense of purpose to it all, this new building of a community.

LaFleur and Namaste were my favorite episodes from season 5, excluding the finale.
>>
>>68803779
I'm seriously not trolling dude, and I'm not calling you names. I'm not claiming LOST is 'kino' by any means or that's it's some amazing experience.
I also got burned by X-files before LOST's airing, so I understand that complaint.
Some shows I have enjoyed past LOST's run, which I guess I hold in high esteem, are really only True Detective Season 1, Sherlock Series 1 & 2 ONLY, The Leftovers, and I guessssss Friday Night Lights.
It's hard to find good TV.
>>
>>68803784
wut Jack favorite. Show should of been called KEK Jack gets cucked over and over!
>>
>>68803779

>guy politely asks you what you enjoy
>you're afraid afraid to name other things because even you think you have shit taste

>but no, no, haha silly anon, i'm just trying to avoid a trap which you're setting for me!!!

Insecure retard.
>>
>>68803822
Season 1 managed to bring everything together in a way no other season did. The flashbacks all managed to be relevant to what was happening on the island at the time, it brought a sense of purpose and focus to everything.

The flashbacks by the time season 3 rolled around were for the most part completely disconnected from the island material making the whole thing feel formulaic and stale. Unfortunately they quite literally did nothing interesting with the flashfowards either outside of that season 3 finale, because none of them were memorable or had any depth to them. It essentially boiled down to cheap cliffhangers.
>>
>>68803839

I liked the 70s stuff too, as well as the sideflashes.

Yet, as much as I loved those parts, I can't stop thinking they're not that different from the shitty Thramsay fanfiction my friend reads where the GoT chars are all in high school.

Like yeah, it was different, and it was nice... but that wasn't what they were supposed to do.

When you look at the big picture, there's just an overwhelming amount of evidence that says: these people would've done perfectly with a seasonal format.

Imagine if they kept the characters but switched the settings each season, and they all connected in some vague way. I don't know. It certainly seems like most of us enjoyed seeing them in new situations.
>>
>>68803862
>True Detective Season 1

I think that's another example of a show that did what Lost attempted, but did it much better. Once again though there was the mystery build up with the "there's just no clear answers maaan" ending.

I can appreciate that not everything benefits from being spelled out and that vagueness isn't a bad thing. I can watch Sopranos and not get mad that it doesn't give you a straightforward plot.

But at the same time, especially with the supernatural element shows, the ones that lean on the mystery (and I would include TD season 1 there), not having answers is very close to a "it was all a dream" ending.

It's a cop out. It's saying you couldn't plan anything satisfying as a resolution so you'd rather just leave it up to the viewer.

If a show can get away with this really depends on how it's set up and the quality of the rest of it. I'd say TD was well written and self contained enough that it passes. Lost was bloated and having the writers literally in the press claiming all the clues would make sense is a true bait and switch "fooled you" non-ending.

You could also put BSG into this group, where it's all building up to a conclusion and everything seems to be a part of an arc. And then the lead writers decide their ending wasn't very good during a strike, rewrite the ending in a couple of weeks and what you get is some teenager's "deep" sci fi story ending.
>>
A bunch of studio executives wanted to create a prime-time soap that would run forever. Hired a bunch of hacks to write it. Viewer reactions to the introduction of new central characters was so completely negative, mindless executives were forced to realize they couldn't keep the show going forever, thus set an end date. The bunch of hacks wrote themselves into a corner and shifted a sci-fi show to fantasy so they could magic their way out of it.
>>
>>68803794
>>68803512
>>68803331
I think Locke was too fickle, and that was his big fault? He is always back and forth, never committing. We see it in his flashbacks and on the island. One second he is positive he is the savior, the chosen one, and the next he is questioning everything and completely losing his faith.
It could be said that if John hadn't of "lost his faith" in season 2 and allowed the hatch to be destroyed, a lot of 'bad things' that happen to him and the island would of never occurred.

..At least this is what I tell myself to try to redeem his inconsistent writing in the later seasons. The mother fucker gets so many "signs" is ridiculous and at the first sign of trouble he just goes all emotional.
>>
There was literally

LITERALLY

zero value in watching a single 'FLASH BACK UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT' segment. Fucking jew cunts found a way to pad out every single fucking episode with backstory nonsense, all of which could've been revealed in the regular way.
>>
>>68803979
true detective season 1 did not end with "no clear answers." It ended with "no all-encompassing resolution." Errol Childress is dead, but he wasn't the only cultist, nor were his victims the only victims.

You, the viewer, had all the answers, the characters just had gone as far as they could go.
>>
>>68804057
there is a fan edit of the show i bet...
>>
>>68804037

>The mother fucker gets so many "signs" is ridiculous and at the first sign of trouble he just goes all emotional.

Exactly. I found his self-doubt in S2 to be contrived and frustrating.

We went from a smiling Locke that told Jack and Sayid to SIT THE FUCK DOWN every episode, to some stupid old man that beat the shit out of a known junkie for doing things not that different from his own actions, which didn't get anyone killed...

If you discount headcanon and take everything in the show as canon, Locke comes across as an egocentric and unstable bitch.
>>
What the fuck happened with this character after the first season? He went from being a fantastic lead character to secondary-does-fuck-all-guy.

What were they thinking? Why couldn't they write the character anymore after that? His leadership role was one of the best parts of season 1 and they just stop caring about that part of his personality until it matters, which generally were when finales were coming up.
>>
>>68804095

You have a point, but on the supernatural end there's no clear say in what was real and what was drug induced hallucinations.

But yes, there was more of a resolution than "whatever you think it means", I'll admit that.
>>
>>68804057

What is character development?

Way to out yourself as a mythos faggot
>>
>>68803979
In LOST's defense against TD S1, it is easier to keep a mystery story together over 8 hours than it is over 121 hours of television.
I also felt that True Detective S1 did a good job of answering most questions and much like LOST it is a very character focused show with a mystery. The characters change, grow, and overall eolve as their experiences shape them. The killer was revealed and tied in to the plot well enough.
I think people dislike LOST and True Detective "reveals" for the same reasons. Everyone expects larger than life answers; answers to life and the universe. It's just a television show, however, and they can only explain it so much.
>>
I don't understand how anyone could watch Lost more than once

I got super attached to the characters but there was so much filler and shit plot lines that went nowhere that I know when it was over it was over
>>
>>68804213
I rewatch only Season 1. It had this aesthetic that was much better than the proceeding seasons and it was a lot more comfy. I dunno if something with the lenses or the lighting or production values changed, but it definitely felt more quiet and comfy and easy to watch.

I don't hate much of the rest of the show (aside from Hurley episodes), but Season 1 can't be beat. I usually pop it on to fall asleep to.
>>
>>68804137

Wtf, I don't agree with that at all. If anything Jack is the only character I can think of that had a logical progression for his arc as the story went on.

He basically went from a guy that didn't want to be a leader and unbeliever and who was riddled with personal troubles, to a guy who accepted his fate, started buying into destiny, and accepted his role as a leader, ultimately sacrificing himself for the good of the island.

He was the only thing keeping the show together by the end.
>>
>>68804172
All the characters in lost were shit. Who's backstories, behavior, motivations, and temperament changed week-to-week.
>>
>>68804286

>All the characters in lost were shit
>>
>>68804264
While I agree that his character didn't turn shit, the writing for him got lazier immediately after the first season. He should have played a more important role than he did a lot of the time. He should have remained the main character.
>>
>>68804178
>Everyone expects larger than life answers; answers to life and the universe.

No, just a resolution to the show you spent more than 100 hours watching.

> It's just a television show, however, and they can only explain it so much.

They can explain as much as they want to explain. They can say literally anything because it's a story.

I don't get this defense, and I saw it a lot back then too. "You wouldn't have liked the answers anyway". Well then why write a mystery story at all? If there's no point to the mystery, and it's just about the characters, you could transplant all of Lost to a non-supernatural island adventure setting.

Supposedly it would be just as good, so why not do it like that and avoid the supernatural and mystery plots altogether?

Here you have to insert a defense about "well people wouldn't watch that", which just confirms it's a bait and switch, and that the mystery and magic are just crutches to get people to watch.
>>
>>68803438
>Quite a tragic story.
And it was designed to be that way, at least after some point.
Chronology goes like this:
>after years of misery, man finds himself in a magical place that makes him filled with belief for some time
>his faith is questioned, but then it is confirmed that he has some kind of a role, the man embraces that and goes on a powertrip
>after some time the man is humbled, yet still holds on to faith and tries to follow wherever it leads him, even though it doesn't feel good anymore, only right.
>at the end he has indeed fulfilled his purpose, yet there was no divine pat on the back, only a violent departure

So yes it's tragical but it's only dissapointing as far as feeling a power trip along with him felt.

On the subject lost is a 10/10 and funnily enough it's this video that filled the plotholes that i have had and made me appreciate Lost all the more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGjYTuraLw
>>
I know it's like only the same 5 fags in this thread with me, but here is a personal thought.
Since before LOST with Alias, and after LOST, J.J. Abrams has become such a hack to me. The guy only knows one way to tell a mystery and it's through is fucking "magic box" method. He simple creates something mysterious, doesn't matter what, and fills in the blanks later. I think he understand that people will watch because they get hooked on the mysteries, and then he just craps reveals, sometimes worth a payoff, but most of the time not.
See...
>Alias, LOST, Cloverfield, Super 8, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Fridge
>Star Wars: Force Awakens Reys MYSTERY PARENTS
>>
>>68804133
They really sucked all the life out of him with season 2. Why wasn't it a more inspiring time for that character? He should have found more purpose in the hatch instead of less. Why'd it have to be him that wanted to stop pushing the button? They could have made it Jack or Desmond or anyone, but why him?

I can see the appeal in a storyline like that, where his faith gets tested, problem is it was just poorly done and contrived and really just came in out of nowhere after 15 episodes of meandering.

His "return" in season 3 feels like self-parody of his season 1 self, but eventually stabilizes and gets somewhat interesting. But they really struggled to give him an important role to play.
>>
>>68801739

Lost on tv should be remembered as the first show for which script kept evolving with neckbeards preview and wind speed. So much so that in the end, IT WASN'T MAKING ANY FUCKING SENSE ANYMORE
>>
>>68804391
I don't really think he's that much of a hack, but he really harps on this fucking Time Travel love story bull shit in almost everything he does. It's happened in almost everything he's done aside from Felicity. I'm just waiting for it to rear its head in Star Wars.
>>
>>68804461
rey confirmed as kylo's daughter from the future.
>>
>>68804391

Not to defend that ugly fuck, but if Lost had stuck to the mystery box formula, instead of trying to furnish a half-baked mythos, it probably would've worked out better.

I'd blame Damon Lindelof way more for the cancer in Lost than Abrams. Look at what he did to Prometheus. And the fuck won't even admit he did wrong, and constantly finds reason to blame people.

>>68804420

Yep. Especially Jack.

>they won't return our people back to us? well let's just see how they like it if we don't push the button

There were so many ways to go about that it that it's amazing they fucked up so badly by using Locke.
>>
>>68804332
>I don't get this defense, and I saw it a lot back then too. "You wouldn't have liked the answers anyway". Well then why write a mystery story at all? If there's no point to the mystery, and it's just about the characters, you could transplant all of Lost to a non-supernatural island adventure setting.
I also heard this argument a lot after LOST ended and I have to say that most, if not all, of the mysteries are solved by the end of the show. Most everything has an answer and a resolve...just the answers weren't that great towards the end of the show.
Jacob, MiB, magic light cave, magic cork, lighthouse, temple, everyones "purpose", flash sideways...everything gets explained at some point in the show. There are no big lingering mysteries left to solve by the shows end.
The problem comes in because by this point you have invested 5 seasons of your time to these larger than life mysteries and the answers feel crappy in comparison. They feel cheap and unfulfilling.
>>
Lost was the best thing to happen to TV since the Sopranos.

Even if you didn't like it, you have got to appreciate how it changed the TV landscape, like how shows can now get much larger budget. And also that shows don't have to cater to plebs who only watch random episodes of a show and yet still expect to understand it.
>>
>>68801739

it's like the writers never really knew what the island was or where they were going or what the overall plot was until they got near the end and then thought "oh shit we better come up with something pronto!" and then made up some garbled rushed shite that completely ruined all the good work they had done previously
>>
>>68804544
Prometheus was nearly a great movie, but the stupid character moments made it horrible eg touching the snek, running away in a straight line. The mysteries were pretty cool, but completely drowned out by the shit
>>
>>68804548

>I also heard this argument a lot after LOST ended and I have to say that most, if not all, of the mysteries are solved by the end of the show.

I don't have a list or a good memory to tell you all of the stuff that wasn't solved, but I'll give you one off the top of my head

>the whispers

What were they, anon?

At the end of the day, we don't even know what the fuck the Source is, or whatever it was called. It's just some mumbo jumbo to serve the plot.
>>
>>68804633

>A guy touching a snake is a movie-ruining moment

Stay retarded. I get how your stupidity makes you think that it was illogical or something, but believing it somehow ruined the movie? Kill yourself.
>>
>>68804633

I love the shit out of Prometheus, but I almost want to mute it and pretend I'm making up my own dialogue each time I watch it.

Nice acting, casting; phenomenal effects, design, directing; shit writing.
>>
>>68804548
I assert the problem was for five seasons, there seemed to be some sort of consistent underlying logic to everything. Then in the sixth season that all vanished and everything was magic.
>>
Since so many people are talking about the mysterious and answers or lack of answers for that matter.

What were your favorite answers that were given out?

The hatch is an obvious one, lead to the biggest expansion the lore ever saw with the introduction of the Dharma Initiative. I would say the cable on the beach being answered 3 seasons later with "The Looking Glass" was another very satisfying one.
>>
>>68804663
>post lists a number of examples of flaws with the writing
>i'll act like post is saying just one scene ruined the movie

why
>>
I will NEVER get over ana lucia and libby.
And I WILL post it every bread.
>>
>>68804640
The whispers were a couple of things things.
It's the others at some part in early seasons along with dead people on the island who remain and try to warm people and shit. It's explained in season 6 by Walt...kind of.
>>
>>68804724

Everything surrounding the Dharma Initiative was super cool. If they hadn't fucked it up there would've been room there to expand it into an actual EU.

While I can't think of a favorite answer, I can say that Jacob's existence and him fucking with people outside of the island was the worst part of the show for me.

I hate Jacob with my entire being. The smug fucking actor, the contrived backstory, the way he "interfered" with getting people on the Island. FUCK Jacob.
>>
>>68804663
I didn't mean that it ruined the movie for me, just that it did for others, and that it's the only thing they take away from the movie.
Which is a shame because I really love it. The whole theme of creations meeting their creators. Humans going to find their creators and finding out they are pretty much an embarrassing mistake, as opposed to David who lives with his creators and is almost superior to them.

Then the only things you hear about it are "But why did she run away from the ship in a straight line! The planet looked nothing like the one in the original movie!"
>>
>>68804805

???

I've read that before, but how the fuck are dead people "remaining" on the island? In spiritual form? In physical form? My god, it just sounds so silly and stupid.
>>
>>68804810
Have you read The Stand? It's kind of similar in that a group of survivors find themseves mixed up in a mythological battle. I feel like the writers tried to use this.
>>
>>68804724
Honestly, as many problems as the later seasons had, the reveal of Locke as MiB at the end of Seaon 5 was quite satisfying to me.
It explained a lot about the black smoke, his abilities, a lot of motives for deaths and things on the island, and it was also a great twist. I really enjoyed that.
I also enjoyed the reveal of the island moving and only having specific compass bearings to enter/leave.
>>
>>68804880

I actually haven't. I got burned very hard by The Dark Tower so I never got to the stand. Does it actually have a satisfying ending? My problem with Stephen King is that he always starts these exciting stories that go fucking nowhere, and it's clear as day he has no idea where it's headed.
>>
I'm just annoyed because they had an EASY way to answer the myster behind the Hurley-bird.

Hurley was a Dharma cook or whatever in the 80s. So he should have just taught the bird to say "Hurley" to get food. Mystery solved!!
>>
>>68804844
It kind of is silly but it goes with the theme of 'the island'.
The island itself is literally the source of life, death, and rebirth that needs to be protected. It also has special electromagnetic pockets and exotic matter which can be used to manipulate time and space.
With these things in mind it's not hard to imagine peoples "souls" or whatever would be someway connected to this super special location after death, especially with the islands literal connection and relation to life, death, and the afterlife as a whole.
>>
>>68805035
Exactly, it's not a straightforward answer like some people want, but Lost has never been that kind of show.

It also fits the theme of the mythological battle they were involed in. Every mythological story is filled with stupid 'rules' like "You can save your girlfriend from the Underworld as long as you walk out without checking if she's behind out"
This is why there were random 'rules' set about Jacob and MiB, and why some souls can go free and others are halted from moving on
>>
Lost was a terrible show and everyone who likes/loves it is a complete braindead moron.
>>
File: fake-locke_320.jpg (24 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fake-locke_320.jpg
24 KB, 320x240
I wish Locke's death and rebirth would have been just that instead of that terrible twist that he was The Man in Black. I liked the idea of him dying to save the others, and it was a really interesting thing to bring him back to life as his body returns to the island, but now more knowledgeable than ever before.
>>
it didn't end with 3 predator bros being behind it all
>>
I loved that every character had a horrible dad. Like "my dad took my kidney and tried to kill me"
"my dad only came back to me when I won the lottery"
"my dad killed my mum and himself"

Except for Charlie, who flashes back to a picture perfect scene of his awesome dad teaching him how to swim "Yer doing it Charlie! Yerr doing it!!"
haha best scene of the show
>>
>>68805296
You better catch the premier of TWD on AMC; you wouldn't want someone on facebook to spoil who dies!
>>
>>68805490
I don't watch that shitty series. Any more autistic advices, you moron?
>>
>>68805535
Sure, here is some advice. Don't come troll a thread with a shitty statement like
>Lost was a terrible show and everyone who likes/loves it is a complete braindead moron.
How about you back up your autistic statement?

You make dumb ass remarks, your going to get dumb ass replies.
>>
The mystery of the island was revealed.
>>
Because it's one thing to create interesting mysteries, and a whole other thing to create an interesting answer to the mystery.
>>
>>68805591
But Lost was truly a shit show. It had few rather swell episodes in S1, but that's about it. Cheap, cliffhangey, cringey. Good actors in terrible enviroment. MTV Lost.
>>
>>68802847
Too many Kate episodes
>>
>>68805784
Again, your arguments are paper thin.
>Cheap, cliffhangey, cringey
As compared to what? Sure the show features cliffhangers. What show doesn't? When used correctly it makes for great story telling, especially on a mystery show?

Your just not saying shit. Put some detail into your thoughts.
>>
>>68803822
never gonna watch this then.
hated everyone when i watched s1.ill stick to the leftoverd i guess.
>>
>>68805674
They should have taken a bolder approach with regards to answer, and by that I mean just not bothered to give any. The mythology also got horribly lazy, that's another huge problem with the show. It just didn't feel inspired at all, and was just sloppily thrown in there without weight.

>A Hatch in the ground
>A magic mirror that depicts the lives of everyone who crashed on the island when you look into it and point the scale to their name

With the help of good writing and proper context, a hatch in the ground is infinitely more complex and interesting than this magic mirror, because no effort was put into making it special, they stopped caring.
>>
I personally loved the ending of LOST. I first watched it after it had finished and I've watched it at least twice a year since then. There are shows I think are better than LOST but there ain't any I love as much. And it gets better with ever watch.
>>
So... Can we at least agree that Lost had some pretty good music?
>>
>>68805979
I can't think of a single show with a soundtrack that comes even close to it.
>>
>>68805979
I still love to watch the introduction of Desmond.
>>
>>68805979
Nothing else touches it in terms of an original score. It made the show.
I think the leftovers has a pretty good soundtrack, the original pieces.
>>
>>68806032
>>68806078
I honestly felt that the soundtrack was a major part for me falling in love with the show back then
>>
File: goddog.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
goddog.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>68804724
Vincent is God.
>>
>>68804925
The Stand ends like 99% of Stephen King. KABOOM
>>
Sayid and Ben were my favorite characters, and some of their better moments were in the later seasons so maybe that helped keep me engaged.

Season 6 was a mess when I first watched it because they did a terrible job of explaining exactly what the ending meant. On a second viewing after you know what's up with all the flash-sideways-forwards shenanigans it becomes a lot less offensive.

I know it wasn't exactly "they were dead the whole time" but it sure felt that way and ever since Season 1 I would say to myself
>"You know it's really going to suck if the big twist at the end is that everybody's already dead and the island is like limbo"
Basically my worst fears came true, even if it was a little more complicated than that

I hate Kate because she's a heartless murderer and for some reason nobody ever cared and it never caught up to her
>>
>>68806211

Would that then be the Hand of God.
>>
>>68806440
Typical conversation that comes up with friends who know I liked LOST because of the bullshit way they ended the series:

>"Hey anon, you like LOST?"
>"Yes, but I didn't like the way it ended."
>"Yeah haha they were dead the whole time right?"
>"No."
>"But I thought that's how it ended, haha, the island was purgatory."
>"No, the area outside the island was purgatory."
>"...You mean the area surrounding the island?"
>"No, the flash-sideways."
>"what? How do they explain everything then?"
>"there's two gods who are fighting and there's a magical beam of light and all the characters were chosen to come to the island which was basically a trial for their faith, which could have been a good metaphor for religion if it wasn't so hamfisted and terrible."
>"...Sounds like purgatory bro haha when's game of thrones on?"

Fuck.
>>
>>68806657
Exactly, and it doesn't help that the explanation Jack gets at the end is rushed and vague. If you know what's going on, it's fine, but otherwise all you get is
>Jack died
>"everybody's waiting for you, let's go inside"
>so they're all dead?
>"eventually, some sooner than others"

From just that we're supposed to gather that only Jack died but eventually all of his friends go on to live their lives and die at later times and now they're all meeting up again to "move on"?

Fuck it was just so badly done, and like you said, it led to most casual viewers just going "Oh so they really WERE dead the whole time haha I knew it wow that sucked"
>>
>>68805158
the answers in lost were completely straight forward. The problem is the straight forward answers weren't consistent with everything beforehand. As suddenly everything is magic because gods, whereas before it was sci-fi.
>>
I thought the ending was going to be that the nuke that was set off in S5 created an alternate one line and when the characters all started getting flashbacks it was when they're island conciousness was sort of brought over into that timeline without any sort of island interference.

Makes more sense to me than lol they're dead.
>>
>>68804137
Jack was the best thing about season 6
>>
File: Lost Juliet Spoon.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Lost Juliet Spoon.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Best girl.
>>
dharma spin-off show when
>>
>>68803108
the real ending. What a great fucking show would have been
>>
>>68807600
Terrible actress.
>>
>>68801739
I remember how I was looking forward to the last few episodes. I kept thinking
>"holy shit these writers are geniuses, they're going to answer ALL of these unanswered questions in this short time? It must all tie together in some clever way!"

Then the ending came. They didn't answer shit. I an heroed as soon as the credits started.
>>
>seasons 1-5
>people are trying to work through the islands mysteries through logic and science

>season 6
>primitives give a load of explanations that boil down to "because magic, duh"
>these were supposed to be the all-encompassing answers.
>>
>>68802847
THICC
>>
>>68805353

What? Locke wasn't the MiB, the MiB was just using his body. The real John Locke died when Ben killed him.
>>
File: NORMIES LEEEEAVE REEEEE.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
NORMIES LEEEEAVE REEEEE.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>68803108
>My gf
>>
>>68804640

"When people die around the Island but cannot "move on" to the next stage, they remain as whispers, watching or trying to communicate with the living. Characters often hear them when in peril, or when the Others or the Monster are near. The deceased whisperers can appear in their physical form only to a select few. Hurley discovered their nature when the long-dead Michael appeared to him to guide him."
>>
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6099973/unanswered-lost-questions

Come back when you have some answers.
>>
>>68809582
And the answer can't be "herp a derp magic"
>>
>>68809357
Wasn't that what I said? I wish it was actually John Locke instead of that dreadful twist of it just being MiB taking his form.
>>
>>68801802
I only hate how it ended. I liked Season 6. But only hated how it ended.
>>
>>68803108
My mother didn't understand it either.
I think that was when I realized that women are just incapable of appreciating writing that is even a little bit more complicated.
>>
>>68811140
Now that is strange to me.

Even as someone that dislikes the ending, I'll be the first to say that the finale is probably the best thing about the entire season. Because while the ending may have been bad, the season as a whole was worse. LA X and Ab Aeterno are the only good episodes I can think of, and they're only good, not great.
>>
>>68803108
hey, I thought it was a flashback at first too...revealing that they had been to the island before. I went oh snap! ....and then I read up afterwards and realized and went oh snap! again...
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.