[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how come when Ant-Man goes giant why doesn't his increased
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 12
File: Ant-Man.jpg (146 KB, 1393x770) Image search: [Google]
Ant-Man.jpg
146 KB, 1393x770
So how come when Ant-Man goes giant why doesn't his increased mass turns into a pile of broken bones and blood?
>>
>>68800055
Because it's a movie you fucking autist
>>
Take it to >>>/film/ pleb. This board is for the patrician medium only.
>>
He does not increase or decrease the mass but manipulates the space he occupies.
>>
>>68800055
Pym Particles. Ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>68800118
Give this man a cookie
>>
File: 1450111768595.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1450111768595.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
I dont understand why people ask these questions like "why" as if anyone involved in the script writing will personally answer you. Wow, you discovered a logic flaw in a fucking superhero movie, very cool. Do you honest to god expect people to have an argument over it? There is no discussion to be had, that is an error in the movies logic, very nice job on your part.
>my every thought needs to be a thread
>GIVE ME ATTENTION LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND DEBATE ME
Kill yourself.
>>
Isnt the whole point that the mass doesnt change, its just the size?

Long story short comics are retarded
>>
>>68800329
People do this all the time though. Look at any Star Wars or Game of Thrones thread. Any "lore" discussion is just people trying to come up with some shitty explanation for irrelevant things.
>>
>>68800319
so the tank key chain was about 2 tonnes... lets just forget that
>>
I liked the movie but any /co/ guy can tell me if antman is a literal memecharacter?
>>
>>68800449
Maybe if you said what thats even supposed to mean
>>
>>68800509
an ironic superhero
>>
>>68800521
No he's been an actual superhero since the 60s, suffers from a lot of mental problems, then Scott Lang became the more fun and newer Ant-Man and he's pretty cool too.
>>
>>68800055
who fucking cares
>>
Probably because it's a movie based on a picture book
>>
How come OP doesn't have a writing career if he's so smart?
>>
>>68800589
THIS IS IMPORTANT
>>
>>68800449
every superhero is a meme character. Antman in the comics is one of the smartest people on the planet and gets drunk and beats his wife.
>>
Pym particle

Did you even watch the movie
>>
>>68800669
how the fuck does it work?

Supposedly he keeps his mass while being shrunk, so how can he haul around the tank keychain? It should weigh upwards to 50 tons

Wait, does that mean that when he's a giant he's like 30 feet tall yet still weighs what, 160 pounds?
>>
can he just make certain parts of his body giant?
>>
>>68801100
Only when he sees a pretty lady naked
>>
>>68801060
Yes.
>>
>>68801100
He doesn't need to when his wife can shrink also. I bet she shrinks while riding him just to make it super tight.
>>
>>68801100
Since he's super strong when he shrinks, does that mean he'll be super weak when he's giant man? This'll be a hilarious film to watch if so.

>Grown giant
>Moves to step on Spiderman
>Can't lift his other foot because Black Widow is holding his shoelaces
>>
>>68801060
>Supposedly he keeps his mass while being shrunk, so how can he haul around the tank keychain? It should weigh upwards to 50 tons

It keeps the potential energy. Where are people getting this mass thing? It's a con-game where one figure goes down/up and the other doesn't.

The tank key chain weighs what a key chain would weigh, but if he threw it at a car, the car would look as if an artillery shell hit it.

The key chain sucker punch must've really hurt his fucking hand, to be honest.
>>
>>68801430
Wait, why does he get super strong when he's small?
>>
>>68801060
his weight changes or else he wouldn't have been able to ride on an arrow
>>
>>68801849
PYM PARTICLES

DON'T ASK QUESTIONS
>>
>>68801506
It's like no one understands the most famous equation of all time. E=MC2. What you said is impossible.
>>
>>68800055

>Marvelogic
>>
>>68800625
Doesn't that cop who's tapping her do anything about it?
I mean the fuck's he gonna do to Antman, right? But he should do something.
>>
>>68800213
This.
>>
>>68801913
but what's the in-universe explanation for how it works
>>
>>68802064
WHAT DID I JUST FUCKING SAY?
>>
File: 3655846-5360597056-IMG_0.jpg (690 KB, 584x915) Image search: [Google]
3655846-5360597056-IMG_0.jpg
690 KB, 584x915
>>
>>68800055
Because Pym particles, the particles that make him shrink and grow, focus mainly around storing and releasing energy, both when he grows and shrinks in different ways. When he shrinks, it stops him from losing any strength that his normal size would posses, whereas when he grows he gets the proportionate strength he would being a giant human.
>>
>>68802064
Pym particles.

Literally the explanation. Hank Pym created a new type of particles that is basically "It's science bitch, I don't need to explain it" like Flash's speed force.
>>
>Trying to make sense out of superpowers
>>
>>68801849
Basically Pym Particles allow things to change in size so when they're small they're lighter, but they still have the same kinetic force as if they were large, but because it's small it's focused on a small point making it more powerful. The physics involved don't matter because Pym particle are fictional and do only what the need to be able to do.

But if you really want to ask questions about the physics, you should be asking why he doesn't land with the force of an elephant whenever he jumps on something. He could simply stand without any problems, but if his kinetic energy is the same as if he was large except concentrated on a single point, he should be stomping around like a giant whenever he walks while being small.
>>
>>68802368
He should be driving himself into the ground with every step.
>>
>>68802368
Does that mean that if he punches someone while small he really should be going straight trough them like a fucking bullet?
>>
>>68802563
He would if it were real but since its marvel it just makes it a stronger punch somehow
>>
Normally when he goes small, he would suffer a corresponding loss of strength. He made some deus ex machina equation to let him retain normal strength when going small. He simply doesn't use said equation when going big. This lets him get stronger with size.
>>
>>68800509
He strikes me as a cash in on Spiderman. Like, wow he's like Spidey, except he's an ant instead of a spider.
>>
>>68800213
this
>>
>>68802551
How autistic are you?

Serious question. Everyone knows the science is bullshit, nobody cares.

If ANTMAN was billing itself as Hard Ass Sci Fi, fine, criticise the fuck out of its failure to portray that.

BUT ITS FUCKING ANTMAN

Asking a world where Radiation makes you into The Hulk, one of the leads was frozen in the arctic to be revived, another wears a form hugging jet fighter, another is a robot made from an AI and another is AN ALIEN "GOD" to start making sense scientifically IS RETARDED.
>>
Who the fuck cares.
This is why you faggot ass nerds need to fucking die.
t. Chad
>>
>>68802727
>t.

This is not how you sign a sentence, or quote it or anything.
>>
I thought he had ant like strength. Like he can carry x times his strength
>>
>>68802664
He's not the only superhero named after an insect. His abilities and personality are nothing like Spiderman.

>tfw Ant-man was the founding member of the Avengers but no one takes him seriously because he didn't have his own movie until now.
>>
>>68802765
that's literally how people in Finland sign things
>>
>>68800055
One think I never understood. Wife of old Antman and Antman himself at some point have to shrink smaller than molecules to penetrate bad guy armor or nuclear missile. But how would they be able to do anything inside if they were smaller than molecules?

Obviously the didn't enlarge again, since both became smaller than subatomic particles.
>>
>>68800213
This
>>
>>68803083
See >>68802722
>>
>>68803083
She was supposed to get bigger once inside but couldn't.
>>
>>68800081
>just turn your brain off man :)
pleb detected
>>
>>68803116
But then how she stop the missile.

>>68803113
I'm not asking about quantum mechanics. This is logic on a childlike level.
>>
>>68800055
Another thing. When Antman shrinks to the point he stops he existing, he manages to become big again, but doesn't remember how.

What happened during that period?

Does it relate to infinity war or something that he experienced something relating to a later story?
>>
>>68800055
Mass doesn't change. They say this at least five times in the movie if you actually have a shit
>>
>>68803174
You're asking for logical consistant science from a super hero film.
>HOW SHE STOP BOMB GUISE?!??!
By breaking it.
Thats all the explanation you'd get.
>>
>>68803207
You know it actually wouldn't be too hard to shrink atoms, since they are mostly empty space anyway
>>
>>68803203
Its called a plot hook.
It may never get resolved.

That or wacky microverse shenanigans.
>>
>>68803238
But she was smaller than a molecule. How do you stop a missile if you are that small?

B v S get's shit on when it's inconsistent, but apparently people have no expectations whatsoever for Marvel movies.

It's true Marvel is for children, manchildren and the lowest 40 IQ percentile in general
>>
>>68803272
I like to think he experienced stuff that could fill a whole movie in that small timeframe. Meeting supternatural craetures that exist outside time and space etc.

Maybe having knowledge relating to thanos now without realizing it. Would be amazing.

Perhaps he even met old Antman's wife
>>
In a scale of 1-10, how autistic are you OP? Is it really that complicated to comprehend made-up science in a kids comic from the 60's?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-27-11-56-02.png (62 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-27-11-56-02.png
62 KB, 480x854
>>68800095
Can't find that board anywhere
>>
>>68803285
>SHE WUZ SMALL
And if things had gone right would have gotten bigger to break it.
>muh BvS
Gets shit because its terrible. I have never seen any cunt criticise it for bad science. Criticising bad science in a wofld of flying alien demigods and shrinky men who talk to Ants is retarded.
>>
>>68803353
Members only. Need a 4chan gold account.
>>
>>68803319
Like I said, Microverse. It's an established idea in Marvel.
>>
>>68803285
Maybe because her Regulator went haywire.
In the final fight, Ant-Man goes through the titanium shielding of the bad guy too, but gets bigger again to destroy the suit. He then goes subatomic again and only comes back because he built one of those enlarging throwing stars he got from Pym into the regulator. At least that's how I remember it.
Also, Ant-Man had at least a consistent story.
>>
>>68803405
But I'm not criticizing it for the science, just that it doesn't make any sense from normal logic point of view. She stopped the missile, did break it, even though she was smaller than a molecule.

A highschooler understands this doesn't make any sense. Why is the writing so bad?
>>
>>68803319
and beat the shit out of her?
>>
>>68803426
That's awesome actually
>>
>>68803445
>The sub microscopic lady can't stop it cuz science
>I aint even talkin science brah
If Marvel physics allow a sub atomic lady to exist, why is the fact she can punch an atom to death so absurd in that reality?
Answer,
its not.
>>
>>68803556
She stopped a missile by punching a single atom?

Impressive
>>
My autism tingles at the fact that Pym Particles' relation with mass doesn't seem to make sense. On one hand he clearly gets lighter, but on another size ant-sized man still packs punch of a normal-sized man. I mean, have you ever been punched by an ant?
>>
>>68803589
Because splitting an atom is renowned for the low tier result.

But nah mate, the fact the sub atomic lady exists at all is impressive.
>>
>>68803609
You're right.
It doesnt make sense.
And?
>>
>>68803647
Splitting a single atom won't give you a nuclear explosion. It barely gives any energy at all.

Who's delving into science now trying to explain shit that's retarded at even face value.

Admit it, Marvel writers are hacks.
>>
>>68802563

I watched Antman recently and I'm pretty sure the talked about this in a scene and the woman trained him to control his speed.
>>
>>68803714
>explain
I'm using pseudo science to justify.
Same as most comic book science.
>muh company wars
Both sides use retarded rubber science. Your point?
>>
>>68803714
>retarded at face value
Like shrinking people you mean?
>>
>>68803773
But you don't need science or psuedo science. Just a logical explanation at a basic level would be nice liek

>Oh her regulator broke'
>Oh the nuke forced her suit to shrinke.

You know you have a problem when an 11 yo sees the flaws in your story.
>>
>>68803808
Like blowing up a missile when you are smaller than a molecule of oxygen.
>>
>>68803838
She stopped the missile despite being small.
Kinda like what's already established, that despite small, still potent.

Where's the issue?
>>
>>68803913
Like blowing up a missile when you are smaller than a molecule of oxygen.
>>
>>68803866
>I accept shrinking people down to the microscopic who can interact with the world
>just not any smaller
Ah. You're bait.
>>
>>68800055
Cause it's a movie about superheroes
None of it makes sense if you start to apply laws of physics to it
>>
>>68803440
This what I thought too, he shrunk to get pass the titanium went back to ant size for a brief period before shrinking to infinity
>>
>>68803934
Didnt you just say science wasnt the issue?
Shit son, even as a Marvel fan I know the "science" is nonsense that serves the plot. Even children grasp that small hero affects the big world, why is it beyond you...?
>>
File: absolutely fucking disgusting.png (120 KB, 182x270) Image search: [Google]
absolutely fucking disgusting.png
120 KB, 182x270
>>68801506
>It keeps the potential energy
stop trying to explain this shit with actual terms you can just say it doesn't makes sense for fucks sake
>>
>>68803951
Smaller yes. Stopping a missile when you are literally the size of a proton. Please, even the Marvel audience isnt that stupid.
>>
>>68804043
Its called rubber science. Shows, movies and books use it all the time.
>>
>>68804025
>t. Even children grasp that small hero affects the big world

No they don't. You are literally more stoopid than a child
>>
>>68804066
Its within the already established logic of the universe dude, like this guy says >>68804025 even the kids watching grasp small dude affects big world. Why not you? Either retard or bait.
>>
>>68804140
>Even the kids watching grasp small dude affects big world

No they don't, kids in the theatre were literally asking questions.

This only proves that comic book reading adults are among the most stupid people alive, less functional in society than prepubescent children.
>>
>>68804083
Your post makes no sense. Calm down and try again.
>>
>>68804066
I don't remember the movie, but is it confirmed that she succeeded in stopping the missile?
>>
>>68804181
I know you can't follow a simple logical statement very well.

>You are literally more stoopid than a child
>Your post makes no sense.

Being so stupid you don't understand it when someone calls you stupid.
>>
>>68804167
Kids ask "is that a Dragon" during how to train your dragon.
>>
>>68804218
Ya, since the city didn't get nuked.
>>
>>68804219
So, we're done and you're all out of arguments? Ok.
>>
>>68804233
Holy shit, really proves how retarded children are and still figure out Antman makes no sense.
>>
>>68804252
I only have one, the one you've been struggling with this entire thread.
>>
>>68804266
>no sense
In terms of science, no. But it doesn't try to.
In terms of internal consistency, it's fine.
>>
>>68804320
But thats the problem. Even if you ignore the science, it's the internal consistenct thats the problem
>>
>>68800118
>He does not increase or decrease the mass but manipulates the space he occupies.

So he weighs the same as Giant-Man as he does when he's normal-sized? With no additional mass, he also has no additional muscle mass.
>>
>>68804349
Except it isn't. They establish firmly that a small person affects the world in a way their size shouldn't allow. In many ways its the crux of the film.

You either accept small people who affect the large world exist in the context of this film, or you don't. The reason you wouldnt accept it is science.

The movie establishes it gives no fucks about and makes no attempt to be hard science.

Within these parameters, the wasp blowing up the missile makes sense. It is internally consistant bullshit science.

Your argument is null and void.
>>
>>68804481
>Comic book physics don't make real world sense
Stop The Presses, everyone must know!!
>>
>>68803609
Weird, they respected this when Scott shrunk for the first time, he broke the tile where he was.
>>
>>68800213
this
>>
>>68803714
Or it's just Suspension of Disbelief.
>>
YOU'RE A BIG GUY
>>
>>68804623
different writers and director
>>
>>68804782
Yeah, but the problem is that seconds after this he falls into a turnablism and doesn't break the disc.
Also, why Yellowjacket is knocked out by a small ping pong ball but a toy train doesn't?
>>
>>68804623
In the movie, he runs up and stands on his friend's shoulder. Would be like having a needle there with about two hundred pounds of weight behind it.
>>
>>68804852
You're right. With your autistic attention to detail you could save Holywood.
>>
File: 1536930-untitled.jpg (128 KB, 871x444) Image search: [Google]
1536930-untitled.jpg
128 KB, 871x444
>>68803647
>hasn't heard of the microverse
literally thousands of sub atomic ladies and gents living on top of sub atomic particles
>>
File: BigCave.jpg (337 KB, 655x890) Image search: [Google]
BigCave.jpg
337 KB, 655x890
>>68804683
In the CIAnematic universe, control of size trumps all.
>>
>>68804991
>thousands of sub atomic ladies
This is my fetish
>>
>>68800095
>/tv/ - television and film
>/film/ - film & movies

He's fine here friendo :^)
>>
>>68804991
what, if they're sub-atomic what the hell are they made of?
>>
>>68800213
(You)
>>
>>68805575
In the comics, those micro-universes like that are eventually explained as only being accessible by what is essentially quantum tunneling. In other words, they're completely separate universes only accessible through tiny "breaks" in the fabric of spacetime,
>>
This is like asking why didn't Bruce Banner and Peter Parker develop radiation cancer and die instead of getting super powers.

Comic book "science" is just bullshit used as an excuse to give characters super powers so they can go on adventures.

The best answer would be that when Pym describes how his particles work in the film that it's simply a theory he has about how they work based on what he's observed and it doesn't accurately or fully describe what they can do (which is whatever the writer needs them to do).
>>
>Marvel does 'science'
>OMG TOTALLY UNREALISTIC

>DC does 'science'
>Totally fine, The 'Faster Than An Attosecond' Flash is perfectly sound, able to think and move so fast that light only moves 1/7th of the diameter of an atom in that period of time, can run faster than time, can move faster than instant travel, essentially meaning he arrives at a destination BEFORE he's left

Why is /tv/ full of such autistic fucks? Why are you seeing a film which will trigger you?
>>
>>68805744
i'm sorry you don't understand speed force
>>
>>68805703
I can get behind this. I was actually sort of surprised I didn't hear the Higgs Boson mentioned in the exposition. That's all you really need - Pym particles give not only the ability to compress and expand matter, but also consciously control the degree with which that matter interacts with the Higgs field, which is were mass comes from in the first place.
>>
>>68803353
Fucking phone poster fuck off
>>
>>68805744
>>
>>68800435
it was an actual tank that was turned into a keychain senpai
>>
>>68806350
That's what he's saying. If it had worked like Lang was told it work, it would have been a tiny tank still weighing what a full-sized tank would weigh. Same deal with the toy train, but in reverse.
>>
>>68805838
And Pyms Particles is the same fucking shit.
>>
>>68807769
>And Pyms Particles is the same fucking shit.
blue increases size/mass and red decreases size/mass, what do you not understand
>>
>>68808010
>>68806385

So what color decreases size and mass at the same time?
>>
>>68800213
/thread
>>
>>68800081
fpbp
>>
File: 1459155560173.jpg (37 KB, 400x325) Image search: [Google]
1459155560173.jpg
37 KB, 400x325
>>68800095
>Take it to >>>/film/ pleb.
from now on, every time a cape film is discussed on /tv/, arguments will say talk to it on /film/, and if discussed on film arguments will say to take it back to film.

now we will not have peace
>>
>>68800213
Pretty much. They don't say it in the movies, but Pym Particles can change size, density, and even other properties of the mass it's affecting. Movie Ant-Man hasn't even scratched the surface of what he can do.
>>
File: Pym Particles.png (459 KB, 1221x702) Image search: [Google]
Pym Particles.png
459 KB, 1221x702
>>
>>68803083
They literally show you this when Lang is destroying the Yellowjacket suit from the inside.
HE'S DESTROYING THE SUIT COMPONENTS WHILE HE'S GETTING SMALLER.
>>
>>68800081
>just turn your brain off
>it is F-U-N
>>
because its a movie about grown men dressing up in costumes to punch each other in the face
>>
File: image.gif (927 KB, 410x282) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
927 KB, 410x282
>>68803285
>>
>>68809566
Maybe you should just take it back to >>>/reddit/.
>>
>>68803010
>tfw Ant-Man was supposed to come out before Iron Man
Though the movie wouldn't have been nearly as well received as it was if it did come out before Iron Man.
>>
File: smug_qt.jpg (44 KB, 529x502) Image search: [Google]
smug_qt.jpg
44 KB, 529x502
>>68800055
Pym particles, ain't gonna explain shit.
>>
>>68811628
So how does he decide when he's light enough to stand on a drawn arrow and heavy enough to crack floor tiles?
>>
>>68813264
By being Ant-Man.
Probably has a lot to do with his regulator.
>>
>>68801060
>how the fuck does it work?
it doesn't work does it? it is a fucking movie.
>>
>>68800055
different serum in the comics. and in the movie there are different devices that independently shift weight and size.
>>
>>68800055
Pym particles dude.

It's just work.
>>
>>68800118
Then how come Ant-Man gets stronger when he shrinks?
>>
>>68814463
see
>>literally every post that says pym particles
>>
>>68814499
If you're just going to answer every question with "pym particles", then why even ask about this shit in the first place? What's the point of this thread?
>>
>>68814079
What different devices? He's got a shrink button and a grow button.
>>
>>68814641
I didn't make this thread because I'm not a fucking idiot.
The thing about Ant-Man is that LITERALLY everything he does can be handwaved with "Pym Particles" because that's where his powers come from and they can do pretty much anything.
It's exactly like the Flash and the Speed Force.
>>
>>68803171
kill yourself nerd
>>
>>68806297
Phones are good. Especially iPhones.

Kiss kiss
>>
>>68814980
Except the Speed Force is truly metahuman shit. Ant-Man is a guy in a suit changing his size and mass apparently on the fly with no mechanism to explain it. At least Tony's suit is bleeding edge cybernetic shit. Pym gave Lang a shrink button, a grow button, and spent the rest of the time working on the fine art of mastering an ant-controlling helmet because theme.
>>
>>68815211
The suit is powered by the pym particles.
In the movie it's the vial with the red liquid in it.
Those are Pym particles.
>>
>>68815556
Yeah, but where's the button that tells when to add and subtract mass? One scene, he shatters tiles by falling on them, another, he jumps onto his buddy's shoulder like he don't weigh shit. Where's he shown controlling that? I'll answer - never.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.