[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've discovered that there's an entire internet subculture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: DSCF0955.jpg (51 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0955.jpg
51 KB, 1024x768
I've discovered that there's an entire internet subculture of people who still watch their media on CRTs.

Some of their justifications for why CRTs are still better than modern TVs actually make some sense (mostly when it comes to retro gaming) but I think there's a big nostalgia factor in their argument too.

What do you think of CRTs?
do you still own one?
>>
I think they are hipster fedora garbage.
>>
>>68784113
>do you still own one?
Yes, and the image is crystal clear. Signals and HD are gimmicks to keep the industry dynamic, hence the revenue continues to grow.
>>
File: CRT_big_screen.jpg (91 KB, 638x640) Image search: [Google]
CRT_big_screen.jpg
91 KB, 638x640
>>68784113
good for retro-gaming and watching 90's TV shows that were shot on 16mm, otherwise useless
>>
>>68784113
i had a CRT for my N64 and NES but that was all it was used for, and if i REALLY wanted the effect i could use filters and come close.
Gave it to a friend who had no TV whatsoever after moving.

Anyone who argues it's "better" is deluding themselves and just can't cope with change for whatever reason.
Wanting a normal HDTV without all the 'smart' apps and all that is perfectly reasonable, though
>>
>>68784113
Most older TVs are mono only. Nearly everything now is in stereo. When somebody does something off screen and to the right you miss out.
>>
>>68784346

> implying regular signals aren't degraded while HD services are offered for higher costs

So do you get paid to post on forums, or do you have a vested interest?
>>
>>68784113
I recently snatched a cheap computer CRT, it's black level is so low my i1D3 can't even read it, it's also really linear amd has a average dE of less than 3 with just the VideoLUT
>>68784344
Retro gaming is impossible on anything but CRT's
Well cared CRT RPTV's can still look great, they're a cheap way of having a massive TV
>>68784346
>i had a CRT for my N64 and NES but that was all it was used for, and if i REALLY wanted the effect i could use filters and come close.
>emulationfags believe this
>>68784363
If you use the shitty speakers bundled with TV's you're doing everything wrong
>>
Still have a crt but the lamp is dead.
>>
>>68784458
I think you're confusing basic technological advancement with some shadow government trying to steal your shekels
higher bandwidth means higher costs, and though current prices are exponentially higher than they should be, it's not the extra DPI that is at fault.

Regular signals aren't degraded, it's just easier to see the faults.

>>68784566
>make halfhearted statements about my tv use and alternatives available to me
>emulationfag
>>
I have a Sony Wega Trinitron and the picture is really nice. I really only use it for retro gaymen, but I have watched the odd DVD on there from my PS2
>>
>>68784631
>filters
>not emulation
I guess you think the Retron 5 is a console, you know, the wife and wifes son
>>
>>68784631
WTF are you talking about? In Britain the official explanation admits that HD signals are filtered(degraded) when you don't pay for a HD price.
>>
>>68784566
>If you use the shitty speakers bundled with TV's you're doing everything wrong

Besides needing a CRT for a fedora nostaligia fest on goldeneye. People actually use them because they are on a budget. I assume you have the money to divert a coaxial signal into a stereo reciever. Most do not.
>>
>>68784273
>hd is a gimmick
senpai 1920 1080 looks great on nice big screen tv
>>
File: panasonic.png (149 KB, 600x467) Image search: [Google]
panasonic.png
149 KB, 600x467
I have a little Panasonic monitor CRT that I watch VHS on occasionally and play vintage vidyagames with. Just the stuff that was meant to be played on a CRT. No point in using them for anything else.

I'd like to get one of those later version Trinitrons to hook up my Laserdisc player to.
>>
>>68784777
>I assume you have the money to divert a coaxial signal into a stereo reciever. Most do not.
You don't need much money if any at all
Any digital decoder (assuming you're watching OTA TV) will have RCA audio outputs, just like any gaming console or DVD/BD player, except for really few weird ones
>>
>>68784932
> big industry would never manipulate me

All the car companies manipulate their fuel emissions data, everything is corrupt, you're on a blue board because you're blue pilled.
>>
I got a 20 years old CRT TV that still works, while the new LCD one broke twice already.

I blame the Jews.
>>
>>68785188
Is the LCD a Samsung?
>>
>>68785091
im not talking about tv providers not streaming me hd. if im playing hd disks or files they look great on my hd tv. the pixels pop every frame and looks great
>>
File: 91E-ORMSrTS._SL1500_.jpg (202 KB, 1500x999) Image search: [Google]
91E-ORMSrTS._SL1500_.jpg
202 KB, 1500x999
I had no idea HD CRTs even existed until a few days ago, and apparently they're still pretty great for watching films. From what I've read, they have really good color quality and picture depth.
>>
>>68784113
I have a 42in in my bedroom. It's 12-15 years old I believe. I am cheap as fuck and keep things until they break and this fucker just won't die still works great guess I'll have it forever.
>>
>>68785188
>>68785245
get an LED. my samsung smart tv has been working great for two years

knock on wood
>>
>>68785281
Heavy as fuck.
>>
trinitrons and pvms for retro gaming
>>
>>68785360
the normal ones are heavy as fuck, threw one out couple month ago
>>
>>68784113
I have an old CRT for my older consoles. On the same note any HD vidya is awful on CRTs, so it really is justified having both.
I'm not patrician enough to have my film experience highly altered depending on the television tho.
>>
>>68784566
>Retro gaming is impossible on anything but CRT's

what are you talking about? I've got a 5 year old Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma 720 and it works great on the big screen.

All the retro systems work great on it.

Light gun games don't work, so no Bayou Billy
>>
>>68785470
Retro games look terrible on modern TVs.
>>
they are terrible

heavy, awkward, big, poor image quality, etc.

it's really not worth it unless you have a lot of space
>>
anyone know of better speakers for the price other than this?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461714268&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+z
this is pretty heavy duty great sound. its 2.1 but it feels nice, probably just as good or better than 5.1 or 7.1 in the price range.. i dont think its worth it to get 5.1 or 7.1 unless youre gonna spend $1000-2000
>>
>>68785281
I think we bought one of these for around $700-$800 back in the day.
>>
>>68784113
I watch a bunch of old anime at 480p/4:3 but on a widescreen monitor.
>>
>>68784113
>do you still own one
i own two. one from the early 2000's and one from the late 1970's. the 70's one is an absolute beast and has better picture than the 2000's one.
>>
i still use mine for duck hunt.
>>
File: 58788435.jpg (24 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
58788435.jpg
24 KB, 600x399
owned for years stay near my bed and usually watch documentaries on it to sleep 8-9 months ago trow it away it was not worth to repair any more the money i spend all this years for repair would probably buy me some decent tv
it was worth it thou for the nostalgia watched my first world cup on it 1994 as a kid good times
>>
I always wonder what the latest movie would look like on black and white TV
>>
File: 1454353449021.jpg (916 KB, 3414x1152) Image search: [Google]
1454353449021.jpg
916 KB, 3414x1152
>>68785968
>>
>>68786188
Thanks Annon but I want ... Thanks anyway
>>
I have a Zenith from 1986 that I used to all my kid videos on. I stubbornly used it until 2012. I'm moving soon and I can't decide whether to keep it or throw it to the curb....it works but the picture is just bad. "Simulated Wood Grain" on the sides...
>>
>>68786487
>"Simulated Wood Grain" on the sides...

They're the best ones.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.