[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can such a simple story touch on so many big ideas? is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: blade runner.jpg (265 KB, 998x1500) Image search: [Google]
blade runner.jpg
265 KB, 998x1500
how can such a simple story touch on so many big ideas?

is this the greatest film ever made? not "best", because there are flaws, but "greatest" because of how well it does what it sets out for and it's importance and influence.
>>
No Sci Fi movie can be the GOAT ever made as it is still just a genre for children.

It is in the top 100 of all time. There are probably only 5 Sci Fi movies that belong in the top 100 and this is one of them.
>>
>>68761194
kys
>>
>>68761194
>No Sci Fi movie can be the GOAT ever made as it is still just a genre for children.

You belong in the trash.
>>
File: SweatyNip.jpg (26 KB, 278x253) Image search: [Google]
SweatyNip.jpg
26 KB, 278x253
>>68761125
The setting is just, damn.
>>
File: 1456466360254.png (2 MB, 1064x983) Image search: [Google]
1456466360254.png
2 MB, 1064x983
>>68761125
I appreciate that you're actually trying to discuss movies on /tv/. You don't sound very informed or knowledgeable, or even over the age of 18, but damn it you're trying.

>>68761194
You just sound like you're straight up having a stroke.
>>
>>68761125
directors cut or theatrical version?
>>
It's THE king of Comfy Core.

So many night hearing the rain and sounds of Vangelis and quiet dialogue while falling asleep.
>>
>>68761337
Neither. Final Cut is king.
>>
>>68761194
(you)

>>68761269
it's hard to talk about this movie without looking ill-equipped, and id admit that op makes me look young. oh well.

im mostly curious because as entry-level as it is, its hailed as a masterpiece for a lot of different reasons depending on who you ask.. and despite my digging, very hard pressed to find something that has quite the same magic this does. most sci-fi that is oriented towards ideas or philosophy only take certain, easily definable slices of the pie; and then pound it down. this manages to go for a lot more and pulls it off (unlike say interstellar) because its not heavy-handed or pretentious (which seems impossible), and i dont see many films pull that off. there are only about half a dozen or so sci-fi ones that even come close, and all of those get less of the pie and/or lack the subtlety and nuance.

its scary how well this works.

>>68761337
directors or final. i actually like the directors almost as much. i would leave the line as "fucker" instead of "father" and dump the unicorn sequence; its too much of a hint and slides the film away from the ambiguity that makes it great, and i think it was put there more for the audience, and its a mistake. not saying that because i think he is or isn't a replicant either, the question is what matters and ironically the point (for me anyway) is that the answer really doesn't.
>>
>>68761715
There's nothing that complicated about how Blade Runner works. Existentialism + nice aesthetics. Watch/read more science-fiction.

>Read
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
A Voyage to Arcturus
Solaris
Roadside Picnic

>Watch
Solaris
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Stalker
The Red Spectacles
World on a Wire
THX1138
2001 (if you somehow haven't seen it)

Go through these and you ought to have much more coherent thoughts on science-fiction as well as probably more knowledge about the genre than 90% of science-fiction fans on /tv/.
>>
>>68761880
ive read everything on that list except a voyage to arcturus and watched everything there as well. all entry-level, too. at least you managed to get 4 other truly great films.

this is supposed to be a discussion, not some oversimplified wankery. despite it being my favorite genre, im still quite sure ive got more digging to do, but you really arent useful here on any level and im to starting to doubt that you have much of anything to actually say.
>>
File: harrisonford.0.jpg (175 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
harrisonford.0.jpg
175 KB, 1280x854
>>68761125
>>68761269
>>68761537
>>68761469
Spot the Redditors.

Blade Runner is over-rated trash.
Kys.
>>
>>68762154
Well you haven't given much of substance to get any quality discourse going. All I can really get from your posts about Blade Runner is that the movie awed you and that you think it's profound.

To me it sounds like you've mistaken a lack of focus and clarity for inscrutable depth.
>>
>>68762154
So those books are entry level but Blade Runner is somehow deep?How does this work?
Please enlighten me about what kind of profound sci-fi on the level of Blade Runner you've been reading.
>>
It's just Frankenstein in cyberpunk setting. Nothing groundbreaking really.

Also hasn't aged as well.
>>
>>68762499
>Also hasn't aged as well.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Blade Runner still holds up remarkably well.
>>
>>68762260
Seeing how more people like it than don't, maybe it's you who belongs to Reddit. Have you ever thought about that?
>>
>>68762643
>Seeing how more people like it than don't

>"It's popular so it must be good!"

kys
>>
>>68762260
Compared to what?
>>
>>68762719
I didn't say it's good, stop assuming shit. I just said that maybe you will find more like-minded people in Reddit, so you can post there about Blade Runner being overated shit.
>>
>>68762845
Why is reddit brought up so much here? I wonder if they're that obsessed with 4chan.
>>
>>68762260

>b-but anon, Harrison is a replicant. Too deep 4 u i suppose

Over-hyped indeed, the fact that it had a cult following just goes to show how stupid people can be >>68762643
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.