[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is season 2 of the wire the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
Why is season 2 of the wire the best?
>>
Well, it's not, but at least it's better than season 5
>>
File: prius8f-2-web.jpg (56 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
prius8f-2-web.jpg
56 KB, 1200x630
>>68757247
>>
>>68757247
Because the docks is a rarely used but great setting to for TV & film.
>>
File: 0.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
That montage at the end of bad dreams with the Greek music and ending with Frank sobotka looking at the grain pier is one of, if not the most powerful sequence in the history of television
>>
>>68757247
Because it was the Halloween III of the series. They tried to make a show in the same universe, but focus on different people in different situations. It was almost like a rewriting of the series, when the writers were still at the height of their game.
>>
File: 1426811215195.gif (428 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1426811215195.gif
428 KB, 200x183
>>68757247
Because white people are easier to identify with and the dock workers were all around more sympathetic than the street thugs.
>>
>>68757247
because frank sobotka is an amazing proletarian hero
>>
>the wire is one of the best shows ever made
I wish this meme would end
>>
>>68757451
This. And this >>68757522
>>68758381
Apparently this is literally what happened. HBO told Simon that if he wanted to keep doing the show, he needed to realize that it was white people, not black people, who were mostly paying to watch the channel. Therefore season 2.
Season 2 is were one sees the scope of The Wire, that it points at showing a picture of society as a whole. The decay of industrialization etc that is shown is amazing.
>>
4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5
>>
>>68757247
I'm watching through The Wire now and the guy who plays Frank is such a top tier actor.
He reminds me of Nicholson.
>>
By moving out of the gang crews and into areas of 'respectable' labour it showed how deep the rot runs in American society as a consequence of the War on Drugs, and the international scale of 'the Game'.

It's the season that first paints the cosmic irrelevance of the police and the street crews in their games of cat and mouse, and how futile all their efforts are in the face of a broken series on corruption reinforcing institutions, that any gains made are accidental and soon rendered inconsequential by a simple fact of nature.

Season 2 is GOAT
>>
Because the dock workers represent the dying end of American industry and for most of the season we're hoping against hope that they'll be able to turn things around and keep the docks running. We're more comfortable watching the last gasp of the surety of the past than the other seasons with the streets, which is what comes after.
>>
>>68757247
Why are you such a buttfucking queer?
>>
>>68757522
>montage at the end
>Frank sobotka

anon... he died
>>
It's pretty focused and is very tragic
>>
>>68757247
Its the worst, we all know it. Stop making these b8 threads.
>>
>>68758451
>HBO told Simon that if he wanted to keep doing the show, he needed to realize that it was white people, not black people, who were mostly paying to watch the channel. Therefore season 2.
source? that sounds dumb as hell. white people gobble up the ghetto stories.
>>
File: Tangerine.png (587 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Tangerine.png
587 KB, 800x533
>Ziggy becomes a pimp
>>
>>68757373
hahaha oh wow
>>
File: tommycarcetti.jpg (729 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tommycarcetti.jpg
729 KB, 1920x1080
>not 3rd
plebs
>>
File: the-wire-duck-ziggy.jpg (145 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
the-wire-duck-ziggy.jpg
145 KB, 1024x576
>>68757373
>>68759303
>>
>>68759349
>meme actor
>>
>>68759349
Mayor Royce? I'm 1st District.
>>
>>68757522
Spot on.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UluX8EfUM-4
I cried.
>>
>>68759349
>Baltimore is a big city
>>
>>68757247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqONtP8v4hg

Because it has the best and comfiest intro.
>>
>>68757247
Cause that one chick's rockin' tits.
>>
>>68759214
To be fair this was around the point HBO were cancelling Deadwood and forcing the writers on Rome to cram 4 seasons worth of stuff into 8 episodes.

So they were making plenty of fucked decisions at the time.
>>
Nice OP, I've also been rewatching season 2 and was thinking of making a thread.
>>
File: bad dreams.jpg (52 KB, 507x768) Image search: [Google]
bad dreams.jpg
52 KB, 507x768
>>68757522
yeah, amazing episode and climax to the season. I was so horrified the first time I watched it.
>>
It's a self contained season with a great story filled with the most memorable scenes of the show and some of the best characters in television history.
>>
>>68764723
Deadwood was canceled because contracts expired and half the cast signed themselves into work on the opposite side of the planet (see: LOST) or big movies (see: die hard 4) for the instant their contracts expired.

As milch fucked up and signed the cast into four year contracts (instead of four season contracts) and only managed to film 3 seasons in that time.

Not to mention BBC dropping out of their joint funding agreement with HBO was the main reason rome was canceled.

HBO is generally "hands-off" with the shit they fund.
>>
>>68757247
Because

s4 and 5 a unfocused mess.

3 is comfy tho
>>
>>68759349
>CIA plant to infiltrate the governing body of balitmore
>>
>>68757247
the docks is why
>>
>HBO will never be this good again.

After GoT they have nothing

True Detective s2 and Vinyl where horrible flops and they dont have anything interesting.

Do they hate streaming money? Tell big cable to fuck off and do it.
>>
>>68757247
It's third best at most, you probably like it because you identify more with the characters
>>
>>68765447
heh look at this nigger
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.