[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did it flop? >amazing setting >great music >superb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: gremlins2daffy.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gremlins2daffy.jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
Why did it flop?
>amazing setting
>great music
>superb animatronics and effects
>fun
>more gremlins mayhem
>gremlins actually look unique with different personalities, even the generic ones have variations
It's everything one could want in a gremlins sequel and more
>but it's not as dark!
Come now, the original Gremlins only had a very small number of spooky scenes, mostly before Spike spawns a shitton of minions, after that it's just camp and fun
Also Gremlins 3 fucking when
>>
Probably too much meta humor. Especially the Hulk Hogan part.
>>
no one wanted a sequel
>>
The 80s were over. Move on to cgi.
>>
File: gretta the gremlin.jpg (2 MB, 2402x3282) Image search: [Google]
gretta the gremlin.jpg
2 MB, 2402x3282
>>68745852
>Gremlins 3 fucking when
Hopefully never. The movie only worked because they just threw money at Joe Dante to make a sequel, and he said alright, as long as I can do what the fuck ever I want.

Expect a shitty reboot instead.

That being said, I never understood why /tv/ doesn't like it more.
>>
>>68745852
Gremlins 2 is a goddamn masterpiece.
>>
It did alright at the box office. Underrated classic.
>>
>>68745933
I saw another take of that scene with john wayne
>>
>rated PG13

There's your problem. Marketed for kids via Gizmo, but not really made for them.
>>
File: grettawedding.webm (3 MB, 700x392) Image search: [Google]
grettawedding.webm
3 MB, 700x392
>>68746294
Cinema was Hulk Hogan
TV version was the cowboy gremlins
>>68746444
Unlike the first movie there really isn't anything scary or non child friendly at all.
The gremlins mostly just wreak havok, only the scientist played by Lee dies on screen and even then he's just electrified

>>68745971
>tfw no gremlin waifu
>>
>>68746529
>Unlike the first movie there really isn't anything scary or non child friendly at all.

I'm not disagreeing, but the first movie still got a PG rating, so parents had no problem taking their kids to see it. I think both are considered classics today.
>>
File: potluck.webm (3 MB, 700x392) Image search: [Google]
potluck.webm
3 MB, 700x392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDlJZIqXmg
>>
>>68746529
>Unlike the first movie there really isn't anything scary or non child friendly at all.
Excuse me sir, are you forgetting about when they fed the one gremlin in the paper shredder?

I'm STILL afraid of paper shredders.
>>
>>68745933
>Probably too much meta humor.
That's the best part though
>When the hulkster gets them to put the right movie on
>The Leonard Maltin review
>Suction cups
>the whole development firm metaphor
It was ahead of its time, and damn near prophetic.

Also muh redheaded ballbuster waifu.
>>
File: forces.webm (3 MB, 700x392) Image search: [Google]
forces.webm
3 MB, 700x392
>>68747387
She did look pretty great on the dinner partwith her hair on the side
Also I recall never understanding what this scene was all about back when I was a kid
>>
>>68745852
plebs cannot handle Gremlins 2
>>
>>68747649
>That canadian themed restaurant
>Would you like some chocolate moose?
The jokes go deep.
>>
>>68747269
>paper shredder
This is what I was gonna say. Not because I thought it was scary, but Gremlins 2 always seemed way darker and grosser and more fucked up as a kid because there is so much crazy shit going on. Also that spider gremlin.

I guess in retrospect it's true that no one is really threatened, though. Other than the gremlins themselves. They get fucked up hardcore.
>>
It's probably because I watched G2 before G1 that I like G2 better.

I had the gizmo teddy with the little offspring in it's back.
>>
>>68748507
>it's true that no one is really threatened
>Billy is tied to a dentist chair with the googley eyed gremlin inching closer with a drill
The spider and bat gremlin were great. Who did the creature effects?
>>
>>68746444
>>68746740
Gremlins 1 would've been PG-13 if the rating existed at the time though. It still would've had kid appeal which they would give more kid appeal to the less dark and more humorous sequel.
>>
>>68750568
Its specifically the reason pg-13 exists.
>>
Heh, the entire movie is up on youtube with decent quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQw4v2tivkU
>>
>>68750681
jusst bought a copy last week desu.
>>
>>68745971
Gremlins 3 is already confirmed in development same as Goonies 2. Zack Galligen said it will be similar to Jurrasic World where it is a sequel as well as reboot.
>>
>>68746257
>It did alright at the box office.
Nice joke
>>
>>68749420
Rick Baker. A highly respected man in the field of special effects. Probably most well known as being the man behind the creature effects in Men in Black but he has worked in tons of films over the past like 40 years.
>>
Absolutely love this movie. It's one of the first movies I became attached to growing up, so it holds a special place in my heart.

>>68751068
Not a terrible flop at the box office. They would have made money with VHS and the rest. Not much of a success either, but overall not a flop.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.