[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Kevin Feige have a personal vendetta against creativity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: 21_KevinFeige_SS_MG_4027.jpg (54 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
21_KevinFeige_SS_MG_4027.jpg
54 KB, 680x478
Does Kevin Feige have a personal vendetta against creativity in cinema? There are ten million Marvel movies and not one of them is in the least bit notable beyond a purely metacontextual level. People don't remember the movies, they remember the universe. The movies themselves are mediocre and completely unremarkable in every way.

I can understand the need to play things safe in the first couple of years, but now that everything is established and Marvel is printing money, why can't they do something interesting?
>>
(You)
>>
Daredevil is literally perfect.
>>
>>68744898
no, just a love for money and a basic knowledge of making it
>>
Guardians of the Galaxy and unironically.
>>
>>68744898
>dat Cavill-tier hairline
JUST
>>
Isn't Dr. Strange the first extremely unsafe marvel film?
>>
why doesn't dinsey make experimental art cinema. fucking feige
>>
>>68744971
This, James Gunn did a good job, but over all it coukd have been better, villain was forgettable. I also liked Ant Man, but most of the films aren't going to be remembered I think.
>>
>>68745003

GOTG was on paper

but it was safe too

Dr Strange looks like a Inception ripoff
>>
>>68745003
No, Avengers 1 was. It's bringing together multiple huge characters in a packed action film. They always turn out terrible, yet Avengers was great. It was safe by no means.

And then GotG.
And then Antman.
>>
>>68744971
I don't buy this whole "Guardians was a crazy risk" meme. It was pretty straightforward, family friendly space adventure with a charming lead actor and adorable cartoon sidekicks. The most people can say is that it wasn't a "known" property, it was a safe story put out by a popular company on a hot streak, and it had the gee whiz factor of being set in the same universe as one of the most popular movies of all time. It wasn't nearly the long shot Disney advertised it as.
>>
>>68745177
>They always turn out terrible, yet Avengers was great. It was safe by no means.
It's true that it could easily have been bad, but it was by no means a risky project financially. It had been building hype (through an admittedly brilliant marketing strategy) for years. As soon as Sam Jackson showed up at the end of Iron Man, people were talking about Avengers. Every movie that they put out was building toward Avengers. For literally years, people were talking about how amazing it was that they were trying this thing that had never been done before. The hype was fucking insane. There way in hell that movie wasn't going to turn a profit.
>>
>>68744898
What are Captain America: The Winter Soldier?
What are Guardians of the Galaxy?

OP youre an idiot
>>
>>68745482
I meant in terms of quality.

If you are going strictly from a financial point of view, then GotG and Antman surely fit the bill. Especially Antman.
>>
>>68745490
>What are Captain America: The Winter Soldier?
>What are Guardians of the Galaxy?
What about them? Guardians followed the Marvel formula pretty strictly, the only difference was it had the gimmick of being in space. Space movies aren't exactly unheard of. Winter Soldier was good, but it is a pretty straightforward espionage story. The reason it stands out isn't because it is particularly exceptional in comparison to most movies, it's just better in comparison to the Marvel movies.
>>
>>68745648
Your original post basically said that nothing Marvel does stands out.

Yet you just said that Winter Soldier Stands out.

You Fail
>>
File: DChris.jpg (55 KB, 480x562) Image search: [Google]
DChris.jpg
55 KB, 480x562
>>68744898
I know this is b8, but the fact that there's the possibility that someone out there actually believes this triggers me so much.
>>
>>68745648
>>68744898
Can someone explain to me the Marvel formula?
>>
>>68745642
Ant Man and Guardians both had built in marketability. Marvel is a studio people feel generally favorable toward, and Ant Man and Guardians both had the distinction of being "black sheep" in comparison to the other Marvel movies. The fact that Disney told people these movies were so risky made people interested in seeing them. But it was a false flag. They were marketed as long shots, but it's not like they were Eraserhead or something. They were just as formulaic and accessible as every other Marvel film.
>>
>>68745648
Also OP i bet you adored Batman V. Superman and thought it was extremely intelligent, thought, provoking, and deep.
>>
MCU appeals to the lowest audience without an impressive taste in film. The normalfags, the pseudo-contrarians that try to fit in but only live up to the usual REDDITOR stereotype just turn your brain off. BTW the Winter Soldier was not good it was it was the same as all Marvel movies but cool arm guy and problematic relationships that would appeal to any normie.
>>
>>68744898

They'd be incapable of doing anything interesting, it's capeshit.
>>
>>68745701
Winter Soldier stands out in comparison to the other Marvel films. It does not stand out from films in general.
>>
>>68745872
No, I thought BvS was a wreck. I appreciate that it tried something different, but ultimately it failed. But that does not mean nothing outside of Marvel's safety net can work. It just happens that BvS did not.
>>
>>68745888
Except that it does. Its has all the things you say that makes it stand out. It does those thing exceptionally. And in a fresh way. By using Captain America it makes it even more special.
>>
Genuinely pissed me off when some people were saying that Winter Soldier is like a 70's conspiracy thriller.

People saying that have never seen a single 70's conspiracy thriller in their entire fucking lives.
>>
Ant Man, Dr.Strange, and Guardians.
Thread.
>>
>>68745980
>movie that is not even out yet
>willing to stake a claim on the inception trailer

Dumbass
>>
>>68745823
Lighthearted adventure comedy with a witty and/or charming lead character, simplistic and digestible story and broad archetypal villains typically chasing some sort of McGuffin. It's your basic generic blockbuster film, and admittedly they do it better than most anybody else, but it gets repetitive.
>>
File: 1460477480507.jpg (111 KB, 1100x719) Image search: [Google]
1460477480507.jpg
111 KB, 1100x719
>>68746021
I hate this Inception meme crap about Dr. Strange.

You know what Strange is doing better than Inception? Theyre being creative with the astral projections and the magic.

Unlike Inception which was about Call of Duty dreams. Because you know thats what everyone dreams about.

There you go OP Dr. Strange isnt even out yet and is doing something to stand out from other films
>>
>>68744932
Daredevil is far from perfect, but I agree that Marvel's netflix division is a lot better than the movie division.
>>
>>68746214
>Theyre being creative with the astral projections and the magic
Source or gtfo you marvel drone.
>>
>>68746214

>Unlike Inception which was about Call of Duty dreams. Because you know thats what everyone dreams about.

WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL SAYING THIS

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE DREAM SEQUENCES IN INCEPTION WAS FOOLING THE PERSON WHO WAS DREAMING, THE PERSON WAS SUPPOSED TO THINK THAT WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO HIM ACTUALLY WAS HAPPENING IN REAL LIFE

jesus christ
>>
>>68746214
Where is that screenshot from? I was extremely irritated by the teaser's muddle earth tones and Nolan-esque atmosphere specifically because Doctor Strange is supposed to be so colorful and trippy. If this is the route they're going I just got slightly hype.
>>
>>68746110
>Lighthearted adventure comedy with a witty and/or charming lead character, simplistic and digestible story and broad archetypal villains typically chasing some sort of McGuffin.
This doesn't apply to the Iron Man trilogy, both Cap sequels, the first Thor, Incredible Hulk and AoU.
>>
>>68746340
nigger you best be trolling
>>
>>68746234
Concept art the fucking trailer why not watch it.

It had one seen with the city and everyone says Inception
>>
>>68746417
>and everyone says
exactly and just saying the opposite of that just makes your opinion just as valid.
>>
>>68746264
So a businessman in reality would keep an envelope in a secret base in the mountains surrounded by henchmen?
>>
>>68746417
The entire tone of the trailer felt like a nolan film.
>>
>>68744898

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
>>
>>68746311
Its concept art. The director said they were looking at the original 60s and 70s art for scenes in the movie.
They are going to incorporate the trippiness of the original comics into the movie.
After Guardians why do things like this surprise people
>>
>>68745888
trips confirm
>>
>>68744898
*cough*winter soldier and civil war*cough
>>
LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD
>>
>>68746234
Heres the image source find and read the article faggot
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/doctor_strange/new-doctor-strange-concept-art-features-the-sorcerer-supreme-in-a129537
>>
>>68746393
Nope, i'm being serious.
>Villains are not chasing mcguffin.
The movies i listed above.
>Not witty or charming lead character.
TIH
>Not Archetypal villains
Loki, and well, at least Ultron wasn't the typical "I-MUST-DESTROY-KILL" robot even though he is still shit.
>Not simplistic and digestible story
First half of TWS, the first Iron Man and TIH.
>>
>>68746504
Because the trailer they released indicated nothing of the sort.
>>
>>68746234
Oh wait i found it because you are a faggot.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange
>>
>>68746467
Nolan is a try hard Hack his last good film was The Prestige.
He tries to be Stanley Kubrick but isnt.
>>
>>68746726
Stanley Kubrick was a cinematography director.
The scenes and sets looked nice but that's all there was to him.
You can watch his movies once and understand the meaning.

he's overrated
>>
>>68746627
Yes because a trailer for a movie about alternate dimensions, magic, demons, is super similar to a boring movie about dreams, that arent creative at all.
And before the argument about they had to be realistic for the fag to believe the influence is stupid.
You cant tell me none of you have had a dream of fucking some sexy as alien bitch, or cartoon, or had a horrifying dream felt any less real.
Dreams are dreams.
>>
>>68746726
All the more reason that Doctor Strange should not be striving to look like a Christopher Nolan film.
>>
>>68746847
Ive never seen magic performed in a Nolan film
>>
>>68746891
Lol did you not see my Prestige post?
Although i get what you mean
>>
>>68746842
I'm not the guy you were arguing with about inception. I could give two shits about that movie. I do not want Doctor Strange to look like that or any other Nolan movie, which is why I did not care for the Doctor Strange trailer, which looked an awful lot like a Nolan movie.
>>
>>68746891
I'm talking about the tone and overall feel of the movie. The magic itself is irrelevent. If Nolan made a movie that looked and felt exactly like Inception, but they had spooky guy liner and astrally projected, would it suddenly change your stance on Nolan?
>>
>>68747044
Yes actually. Hed be doing something then his boring bland movies that think theyre smart but truly arent.
Id love to see him go out of his comfort zone
>>
>>68747044
Oh Nolanfags
>>
>>68747315
I don't like Nolan. How is it that you have arrived at that conclusion that I am a Nolan fan based solely on the fact that I disliked the Doctor Strange trailer for looking like a Nolan film.
>>
>>68744932
Maybe, if you are 12 years old.
>>
>>68747392

Doctor Inception more like
>>
>>68745177
Avengers was totally safe. The story is generic and it's a sequel of sorts to all previously established film properties. Even Thor was quite popular. Same goes for Ant-Man which is a carbon copy of the first Iron Man. And >>68745319 explains why GotG was also pretty safe.
>>
File: 1451775172621.jpg (13 KB, 480x468) Image search: [Google]
1451775172621.jpg
13 KB, 480x468
>>68746822
>criticizing Kubrick in order to defend Nolan
>>
>>68744944
>basic knowledge
If it's so basic, why are you still living in you mother's basement and a failiure to society?
>>
>>68745739
>everyone that disagrees with me must be baiting
How does it feel being a 10 year old.
>>
>>68745964
If we are talking about made-for-tv movies, than sure. Thing is, Winter Soldier was a theatrical release.
>>
>>68746214
Didn't realize you were from the future and had already seen the movie.
>>
File: f83h.jpg (45 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
f83h.jpg
45 KB, 500x640
>>68749231
>He can't recognize obvious b8
How does it feel being this new.
>>
I can buy you and sell you a million times over
>>
>>68746822
>Kubrick was a cinematography director
No, he was a director who understood film was a visual medium, hence crafted visual stories. You don't know shit about film, you don't know shit about art. Get the fuck out of my board.
>>
>Nolan invented kaleidoscopic stuff
>>
>>68748826
Carbon Copy huh? Didnt realize the first Iron Man was a heist movie, using microphotography, Paul Rudd working at Baskin Robbins, so the villain wants the super suit? That makes it a carbon copy?
I dont remember Hydra in Iron Man, or Tony Stark being in jail and trying to be able to see his daughter again.
Also i guess an army of ants were in Iron Man as well.
>>
>>68749344
Faggot Batman V. Superman was more creative than Inception and I hated that movie.
Just the concept of the movie is more creative.
>>
File: 1442971337418.png (689 KB, 804x876) Image search: [Google]
1442971337418.png
689 KB, 804x876
>>68744898
>Still mad at Rotten Tomatoes!

Spamming these DC threads just makes you more and more pathetic

A 28% RT score doesnt change to a 29% just because you spam 50 peo-DC/anti-Marvel threads on /tv/, OP
>>
>>68749171
Speak for yourself, projectionist
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.