[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has 60's Star Trek aged poorly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 60's star trek2.jpg (269 KB, 718x714) Image search: [Google]
60's star trek2.jpg
269 KB, 718x714
Has 60's Star Trek aged poorly?
>>
>>68736822
Naw, it reflects the ISS better then anything else. The biggest advantage of space exploration now more then ever is unity of cultures. This is opposed to the space race of nationalism before.

It's not a coincidence it can even be blamed on Star Trek in part. Compared to Lost in Space and other 100% white american sci-fi tv shows, having a multicultural crew is something that was REALLY REALLY NEW, that to use is REALLY REALLY CLICHED, yet for space exploration is 100% what is going on NOW more then ever.

but yeah, the graphics are bad.
>>
>>68736822
I mean the Star Trek movies show that it holds up well. you don't see them avoiding the racist stereotypes, they even make checkoffs accent MORE of an issue, not less.
>>
>>68736822
yes
>>
>>68737641
if anything the tv show was TOO PC,which predates the 80 PC wave by a decade... ahead of it's time.
>>
>>68736822
>aged
triggered

Movies and shows don't age, they aren't living breathing organism. Any film/series that was good then is still good now, provided you watch it understanding the time and place in which it was made and not being a cynical, nitpicking faggot who laughs at shit he doesn't understand or that doesn't fit his jaded modern sensibilities.

Star Trek: TOS is one of the greatest TV shows ever made, definitely worth watching.
>>
File: 1424080765081.jpg (6 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1424080765081.jpg
6 KB, 250x247
>>68736822
That comic has a point!
>>
File: realalien.jpg (12 KB, 185x245) Image search: [Google]
realalien.jpg
12 KB, 185x245
>>68736822
>spock
>white
>>
>>68737870
This. And for the record, Shatner/Kirk is not nearly as bad as pop culture has memed him into being.
>>
>SJWS are triggered by Star Trek
That show was progressive though
>>
>>68737870
>Any film/series that was good then is still good now

What a crock. Go listen to your LPs, gramps.
>>
>>68736822
No, it was the same level of cheese and introspection as it was back then as it is now.

"Star Trek: Continues", captures that very well.
>>
>>68736822
And this comic is full of shit. The creator clearly doesn't know a fucking thing about the 60s.

> What about Sulu?
> A 1960s show with an American and a Russian working together doesn't sound progressive?
> An alien who is part of the crew rather than a villain or monster of the week?
>>
File: 1351767019544.jpg (49 KB, 427x300) Image search: [Google]
1351767019544.jpg
49 KB, 427x300
>series features first IR kiss on screen
>modern SJWs think the series isn't "progressive"

Anyone know where I left that button that kills everyone? I seem to have misplaced it.
>>
>>68738196
> anything old is bad
Enjoy your Top 40 MP3s that you don't physically own, son.
>>
File: 1461576034010.gif (33 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1461576034010.gif
33 KB, 200x200
>>68738345
>>68738372
This. At the time, Star Trek was progressive as fuck. Lot of anti-war, anti-nuke, humanist philosophy. It embodied the real meaning of progressiveness and equality.

Now fucking SJWs are calling it racist.
>>
TOS is great. It's the world that got shitty.
>>
>>68738345
Hell, Roddenberry pushed for gender equality in the cast - Even Uhura needed some heavy negotiating, and the part of Spock was originally written for his wife.

Not to mention there's that whole business with the whole "first interracial kiss" thing - and yes, aliens made them do it, but they were adamant that it be there, to the point of Shatner deliberately sabotaging the attempt to shoot a scene where their lips didn't touch.
>>
>>68737870
Yes, thank you. I hate it when some millennial fag won't watch anything made before 1990 because it's all "aged poorly."
>>
>>68738865
I'd say Star Trek is a show that could be considered to have aged, but it hasn't aged poorly. To me, a show has aged when you can rather clearly tell where and when it was made, and Star Trek TOS definitely has that going on, with its analog clocks in spaceships, cheesy special effects and costumes, and at-times hokey plots. But it's aged far better than most other shows of its time - it was infectiously lighthearted, adventurous, creative, thoughtful, and even when it got heavy-handed, its heart was clearly in the right place.
>>
>>68738045
>>68738045
He was charismatic and good looking. And his oft parodied line delivery doesn't really come off as too unnatural. He has made however some odd acting choices here and there. Especially when something or someone was once again supposed to be affecting his mind. It's always an involuntarily funny moment.
>>
>>68738045
>>68739236
Shatner is great. His trademark line delivery is part of what makes the character. It's unique, without being so over-the-top that it's silly.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.