[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck? I thought Nolan was original. Interstellar is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: Contact.jpg (277 KB, 953x1400) Image search: [Google]
Contact.jpg
277 KB, 953x1400
What the fuck? I thought Nolan was original. Interstellar is a complete ripoff of Contact. Not to mention it shits up everything it ripped off of Contact.
>>
>>68735334
Actually, interstellar is a rip off of 2001: space odyssey. the whole 5th dimension ending. please.

Also Contact was about Religion vs science, didn't you see the ending you cuck.
>>
>>68735812
It's was about faith vs. evidence
>>
File: tumblr_m00so0Dqu91rnb8e0o1_500.png (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m00so0Dqu91rnb8e0o1_500.png
51 KB, 500x500
>>68735812
>>
>>68735865
It was about imagination vs shared reality.
>>
>>68735922
It's about what happened to your moms asshole after she met my ayy lmao
>>
>>68735865
its was about weed vs LSD
>>
>>68735922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opZ1E1bF3Ds

This whole speech at the end sums up the movie. She describes her profound experience that effected her entire sense of existence and being, and she's can't PROVE it, despite how real, beautiful, and extraordinary it was for her. Sagan deliberately put her in a position identical to a religious person with no evidence of her experience or beliefs.
>>
>>68735812
Are you kidding me? Nothing about Intersteller is even remotely similar to 2001. Its much more similar to Contact. The entire movie is essentially a remake and tweeks a couple things ie faith and love, science and survival etc.

Interstellar only executes better on a technical level
>>
File: youre serious.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
youre serious.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>i thought nolan was original

thats not how you bait in 2016 familia
>>
>>68735334
That is absolutely fucking retarded. What the hell is wrong with you
>>
>they both deal with space and shit and shit but have two very different plots
>OH GOD IT'S RIPPED OFF

gtfoohwtbs
>>
>>68736114
then one of the first after credits scene ever happen says there was evidence. so really, it's about how technology that is so far beyond understanding it like magic, like Asimov says. She experienced magic.

Interstellar, is more about exploration. About what it means to be human vs robotic, about risk vs gain, about emotions vs logic. Which seems counter to a lot of thoughts about space, but passion is what makes someone a great astronaut. Mental stability. This is shown with matt damon instability how one person can threaten a lot of people.

It's weird, but mental stability is more important to space exploration then anything.

also it was a science movie for the next generation, contact was done because 2001 was done, and interstellar was done because contact was done, and in 10 years time let's hope another movie is done for the SAME REASONS.
>>
>>68736114
Isn't it shown in the end that it did happen?
>>
>>68735334
Wait what!? You thought Nolan was original? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: oblivion-ANUS.jpg (131 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
oblivion-ANUS.jpg
131 KB, 1440x900
>>68736604
>SAME REASONS.
Sodomy?
>>
>>68736747
isn't it always?
>>
>>68736654
I clearly remember there being like an after credits scene them talking about 40 hours of blank tape recorded. even though she was gone for 2 hours.

I cannot find evidence of it ANYWHERE.... that's fucking weird.
>>
>>68736654
They falsely claimed there was no evidence, but there was the blanked out (7 hour?) recording, which corresponded with her estimate of how long the experience lasted.

What was the hidden agenda?
>>
>>68736604
>>68736654
Yes, the audience is always aware that what she saw was real. The point was that the general public had no access to her experience other than to take her account on faith, or at least try to derive some kind of meaning, or no meaning from it on their own. Even for the select few who were are of the 16 hours of static, it would not be enough to corroborate any details of her experience. She was alone, and could only explain what she saw and let others decide for themselves.

This was not accidental. It was exactly what Sagan intended. It's why Arroway was written as explicitly atheistic, and Joss was a Christian that challenges her dismissal of religion. Sagan obviously wasn't a religious man, CERTAINLY not a theist in any Abrahamic sense, but he was also a philosophical thinker in addition to being a scientist. He talks a great deal about issues of meaning and purpose, and was not spiteful or dismissive of religious in a general sense insofar as it was concerned with the same questions.
>>
>>68736935
It's before the credits, even before the last scene of the movie. Angela Bassett tells James Wood about the static, and that it's very interesting that it's exactly (I think it was) 16 hours worth.
>>
>>68736989
I liked how Interstellar added to this, how they had schools teaching the lunar landing was a hoax (it's not, but it's addressing how schools teach popular opinion, over facts without being religious) Which is something Sagan followers do. they want to respect people's religious view. Sagan always thought god and science could cohabitate.

I don't, but faith and science can exist, quantum physics prove this more.
>>
>>68737080
It was 18 hours

>>68736662
He is original. Name one movie of his outside of Interstellar that has been done before. Protip: you can't
>>
>>68737359
Batman
>>
>>68737359
Inception
>>
>>68737501
Original take that hadn't been done before
>>68737729
Completely original sci fi film with some flaws.
>>
>>68737359
MEMEnto
>>
>>68738310
I think Batman was original too, it was the first time a comic book movie was done NOT AS A COMIC BOOK MOVIE, but as a gangster/heist movie.

BvS is an example a comic book movie, Batman was a example of a heist movie.
>>
>>68736088
>>68735865
>>68735922
It was night vs day
>>
>>68738400
Original
>>
>>68735334
>muh signal
The arrival did it first and better.
>>
>>68739360
>Charlie Sheen
>>
>>68737289
The book handled it better. When ellie finally meets the ayy's they tell her they didn't build the wormhole network, or the space station, or any of the relay stations, they're just the latest stewards. When she asks who built it all they say they don't know, but they've detected encoded messages in transcendental numbers, and they suspect there may be more hidden other places. The idea was that there are builders of the universe around, they might be god, or they might just be even more advanced ayy lmaos that are sending out messages in the very fabric of reality like they had a system for sending out messages to developing species.
>>
>>68739360
This is a really great and a really bad movie at the same time.
>>
>>68739857
This was essentially what the film says too. The wording is just different. I interpreted that scene exactly as you just described the book version
>>
File: bored-computer.jpg (133 KB, 972x638) Image search: [Google]
bored-computer.jpg
133 KB, 972x638
>>68736662
>>
>>68735334
Contact discussion has been a regular of /tv/ and will continue to be so.

It saddens me however to see for the present time it takes the form of Nolan dissing
>>
>>68739954
Except they cut the whole transcendental number thing out, which I totally get.

I like the movie, but I love the book. The movie kind of cuts out the whole social impact of the message and the machine, and the way the world changes as a result. Again, I get why they did it, but those are my favorite parts of the book.

Again, I think it's a better adaptation than anyone would have expected, but I have to be an autistic nitpicker.
>>
>>68740305
Werent the transcendental numbers kinda implied from the original message? I mean he states that we didnt send it right? It just wasnt as clear maybe as the book?
>>
>>68740305
Also same anon from previous response but wasnt the the social impact/message meant to be interpreted by each viewer at least in the movies case? I thought the last scene when they are walking down the steps implied that there was a social impact but it was up to the individual to determine that. I thought Palmers line supports that idea.
>>
>>68740930
No I mean that from the time they get the message until they finally power up the machine YEARS have gone by. And just getting the infrastructure to capture all of the message (radio telescopes around the world) and then when they decide to build the machine it takes the resources of the entire world, they major economies retool themselves to build the machine cooperatively. Thawing of relationships between the Soviets and the west, and basically creating world peace. Hadden and "Babylon" to release the atavistic urges safely, people turning away from extremism of all kinds as "crazy" begins to polarize itself and puts that kind of shitty behavior under everyone's microscope, building entire new industries and reverse engineering everything they can for practical applications, the rich an powerful retire to orbital retirement villages and see the world as a whole instead of national identities, etc.

The real reason for the message, building the machine, turning on, and then going was one selection process after another. But if a species was ready, and made it past all those hurdles, and then get to the Ayy's, they pretty much tell them "Yup, life is everywhere, its pretty cool, we still have adventure and mystery, and we'll call you in a thousand years or so if you're ready/still there, DON'T FUCK IT UP!" But getting to that point kind of points them down a path of some kind of long term stability. Sure there is confusion when they come back empty handed, but you have an entire generation that was born and raised in a world of peace, messages from the sky, and weird tales of a better place, and people aren't breaking their necks to go back to the old way of doing things.
>>
>>68741503
Oh ok i get what your saying. That's actually really cool.

Im gonna have to read the book now. I literally watched the movie for the first time a couple days and i absolutely loved it.
>>
>>68741653
It's Sagan jerking off for a couple hundred pages, but its comfy as fuck. Its one of those books I get excited about re-reading every few years. Just try to make it past the cringiness of Sagan the beginning where Sagan has to write from the perspective of a teenage/college Ellie.

Like I said, the movie is a pretty decent adaptation, they cut a lot of stuff I liked but you have to trim the fat when you're turning a novel into a screenplay, the heart of the story is there, but the book is just more and better.
>>
>>68739360
That movie taught me to never trust reverse leg jointed African children
>>
File: ayy lmao fatty.jpg (125 KB, 640x917) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao fatty.jpg
125 KB, 640x917
>>68742237
>be overseas in asia
>see some guy begging in a street market
>he has legs like that
>run away screaming because fuck global warming ayy lmaos
>>
>>68735812
Nolan is the epitome of hack.

TDK is a shitty watered-down adolescent version of Heat, just like Interstellar is 2001 for 14 year olds.
>>
>>68738310
Inception ripped off Paprika
>>
>all these nolanfag tears

Intershitters on suicide watch
>>
>>68742428
Lol no just no. They're two fundamentally different films
>>
>>68742389

He's talented though.
>>
>>68743090
He's as sloppy as his is talented. There's nothing wrong with a second take, or not writing your own script, or letting someone choreograph your action scenes for you, or hiring an editor.

He's undisciplined.
>>
Interstellar is in the same genre as 2001 but it really isn't that much like it at all.
quality aside, they're hardly the same movie
>>
>>68735812

Nolan gave the 'twist' away in Interstellar too early

The sand is coordinates to go somewhere. Someone must have sent it.

It turned out to be Matthew McConaughey all along
>>
>>68735334
Name one nolan film that isnt predictable garbage...
Contact shits on Interstellars chest. fact.
>>
>>68745704
Memento
The Prestige
Inception
The Batman Trilogy
Insomnia
Following

Need i go on cuckboy
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.