[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Synecdoche, New York
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
File: Synecdoche,_New_York_poster.jpg (44 KB, 297x436) Image search: [Google]
Synecdoche,_New_York_poster.jpg
44 KB, 297x436
My favourite film. Anyone else love it?
>>
havent seen it
>>
>>68734512
Enjoyable movie. Absolutely pretentious as fuck though.
>>
I also loved it
>>
Incredible film. Really ambitious and emotional with a lot to dissect.
>>
>>68734594
This. It was trying too hard but I still liked it.
>>
>>68734512
Too long, too pretentious.
Watch Holy Motors or Kaurismäki on then come back.
>>
Why is this film pretentious?
>>
I really liked it. I'd struggle to call it entertaining though.
>>
>>68734594
>>68735351
>>68736029

Millenial Bro Reviewers y'all
>>
>>68736029
Anything I don't understand is pretentious.
>>
File: i'm out.gif (2 MB, 286x186) Image search: [Google]
i'm out.gif
2 MB, 286x186
>oh cool, Synecdoche, NY thread
>pretentious
>>
>>68734512
Go fuck a dog Adam
>>
What did the purple poop mean?
>>
>>68734512
You aren't allowed here Adam
>>
I love it. I always cry during the part where the daughter tells to confess for being gay and leaving his family. It's just so cruel. And then Caden finally ends up with Hazel, the love of his life, and she dies basically the next day.
>we wasted our youth with bullshit and now we're too old to enjoy ourselves together
Welp.

I never really found anyone to actually properly discuss this movie with and the only guy I ever found kept telling me how the movie is meant to be a postmodern absurdity and that it was meant to be taken as a joke, and to laugh with it rather than cry. Though he refused to explain what he found so funny.

The truth that we're all alone just makes me shrug with an 'oh well' feeling.
>>
>>68734512
>oh wow dying so deep it's like we're all dying or something
>>
>>68734512

Only movie I ever cried during.

Been meaning to watch it again but I just went through a shitty breakup and might have to literally be put on suicide watch.
>>
This is not a pretentious film. Just because you dont understand it is not pretentious, also is not for talk about death and life meaning and be depressing. Everything that tries to talk about serious themes in an original way its called pretentious.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (41 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
41 KB, 960x720
>>68734594
>>68736029
>>68736965

Yes, shallow and pedantic...
>>
FACT: Stories over the course of a life of one character are always the most fucking depressing things on earth.

This one especially because the guy gets fucked in literally every possible way.
>>
>>68736864
Same bruh. I would really like to talk deeply about this film with someone
>>
>>68737076

He pretty much gets cucked from all angles, it's great.
>>
>>68734512
2 hours of Charlie Kaufman jerking off in front of a camera
>>
>>68736239
because it care more about being "post-modern" then actually telling a coherent and compelling story
>>
>>68736864
That song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_ubhYgjAc

One thing to notice is how quickly time passes and jumps throughout the movie, even in the opening scenes and that the cycle only stops during traumatic events. Maybe its monotony of the day to day, or maybe its the lack of awareness. There's so much in there. I think I'm going to watch it now and cry.
>>
File: kinzo.jpg (87 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
kinzo.jpg
87 KB, 500x652
>>68737093
Sweet, well, we can both talk about it.

You know, as much as the movie is depressing, it's somewhat uplifting that love is one of the things that can alleviate nihilism. Though, the search for love is meaningless to an extent or another, so meh.
>>
Pseudo-intellectual teenager bait. Muh feelings. Muh troubles. Muh death.

It's like the Evangelion for plebs who still think they have dignity.
>>
>>68737722
I can't imagine a more pathetic image than some fat neckbeard sitting in the dark, listening to this song through his Razer headphones, thinking his problems are meaningful.
>>
>>68738046
I'm sure yours are though.
>>
>>68737722
>someone loves that song as much as I do
Sweet.

>>68737929
The only relationship Eva has with Synedoche New York In Eva more the feeling of being misunderstood and wanting to accepted in a world where no one can fully understand who you fully are. The difference is that Caden doesn't care about the opinions of others and Shinji realizes that other people's opinion of others don't reflect reality, so they shouldn't matter.
>>
>>68738001
>I get emotionally moved about sad fatass PSH building fake new york while blubbering over his lady friends and cleaning toilets and playing with his poopies

hey tumblr!
>>
>>68738143
>The difference is that Caden doesn't care about the opinions of others and Shinji realizes that other people's opinion of others don't reflect reality, so they shouldn't matter.

Did you even watch Synecdoche or Eva?
>>
Why did she move into a house that was on fire?
>>
>>68736029
>Synecdoche, New York is too pretentious
>"watch Holy Motors"
C'mon now.
>>
File: revolutionary liberal art.jpg (20 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
revolutionary liberal art.jpg
20 KB, 700x525
>>68738278
it's art!!!!! it's meaningful!! it doesn't have to make sense!!!!!!! reeee!!!!
>>
Something I don't think anyone has remarked is the way people in the movie act vulnerable during death and how no one really cares about their suffering. Like, Claire mostly just acts bullshit with her praise for Caden but when her mother died, you can somewhat feel that she's trying to connect to Caden who just really feels bored.
And the same thing basically happens to Caden when he loses his father. I'm not entirely sure if the movie is saying that we try and seek out connections when our own connection to life feels threaten or that no one really notices the suffering of others.

>>68738232
Both.
>>
>>68738411
>hurrrrrrr
>>
>>68738278
So that Hazel can die from fire inhalation. Just replace fire with some toxic that was in the house. The end is built into the beginning.
>>
File: 1455509358594.jpg (36 KB, 506x404) Image search: [Google]
1455509358594.jpg
36 KB, 506x404
>>68738329
>the manchild feels threatened by what he does not understand, and thrashes out in frustration
Ironic you would post that picture, seeing as he was literally taking the piss. Not exactly subtle is it. Stick to Deadpool m8.
>>
It's also pretty Kafka for Caden to be going from one doctor to another to another, all referring him to another doctor after noticing one abnormality after another.
>>
>>68738743
>You hate x so therefore you must hate y

Try again.

Better yet, keep jerking off to your incoherent garbage. Clearly you only enjoy it because it confuses more sensible people than yourself. Stickin' it to the man, right anon?
>>
This film was made for fragile little white boys whose biggest adversity in life is not knowing which shitty arts major they should waste their parent's money on.

Being "moved" by it is a positive litmus test for being an incredibly superficial and weak human being, although they'll try to meme you otherwise.
>>
Sell me this movie. Why should I spend the next few hours watching it?
>>
>>68739842
You shouldn't. Watch something with a plot.
>>
>>68734512
My favorite too.
It's weird to see this thread now though because I literally just finished watching Anomalisa.
>>
Literally the 953rd best movie ever made.
>>
File: 1458819598133.jpg (16 KB, 180x192) Image search: [Google]
1458819598133.jpg
16 KB, 180x192
>>68734512
My favourite one as well.
>>
What I don't understand is why didn't Caden smoke weed with Hazel at the beginning of the movie?

>>68739842
It's the sadness of the world.

>>68739910
What's your opinion on Anomalisa? I perfectly left like it was a smaller version of Synedoche and not as powerful.
>successful people in life don't have all the answers and we're all alone
I only really found the name Anomalisa to be pretty cute.
The conference scene was pretty cringe worthy honestly. I'm not sure if it was trying to be meaningful or knew it was cringe worthy.
>>
>>68736974
HOL UP
>>
2deep4u hipster garbage. The people who like it literally use that label as a reason for why they think it's good. Disgusting.
>>
>>68740162
Or maybe find themes they relate to in the story?
>>
>>68740127
>It's the sadness of the world.

The world isn't sad at all, you teenage crybaby

Read the gospels or something and stop being so insufferable
>>
>>68736974

> Suicide watch

> Over a breakup

You sound like such a pussy that you should probably go through with it.
>>
>>68739742
>>68740162
>not a new IP
hmm
>>
>>68740249
what do you expect from a charlie kaufman fan?
>>
>>68740205
What themes? Even the people who like the movie can't come to an agreement on what it is saying. It's just a melting pot of edgy "I don't fit in this world" bullshit sentiments, kind of like yourself.
>>
>>68738411
I think it's both but more the latter. Remember towards the end when when the priest says "no one wants to hear about my troubles" or something? I think that might be a major theme
>>
>>68734512
Loved it but definitely a film I would be careful to recommend as it is clearly not to everyone's taste.
>>
>>68739842
If you don't care about the themes, the actual filmmaking and attention to detail is really impressive, and there's some great acting, PSH notwithstanding
>>
>>68740127
That's pretty much how I'm seeing it so far, but I need a bit more time to digest it.
I think the conference is showing how Michael's perspective on the political state of the world is mirrored by how he literally sees and hears it. Everyone is the same, which is a result of humanity allowing themselves to become that way in the modern consumerist ignorant society. I think it's relevant that he's a customer service expert, in that regard.
I guess it's a chicken or the egg situation though, really. Is the world like that because of assholes like Michael or do people like Michael exist because the world is the way it is.

I think it's not even too much of a stretch to assume that everyone sees the world like Michael to some extent, but he's just monumentally bad at coping with it. It's not like we can honestly care about every person around us, and it *is* meaningful when one can find a connection with another individual, as Michael has, I assume, several times before (like with Bella and his wife and child).
>>
>>68736977
Pretentious is such a massively misused term that it has lost all meaning in this kind of discussion.
>>
>>68740227
>The world isn't sad at all, you teenage crybaby
It's a quote this song you idiot. It's not the world that's sad, but that we're alone and unable to communicate with others is the sadness of the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=662uPQ7Xrdw

>>68740450
Death, nihilism, the fact people can't actually understand each other and communicate, the desire to be with others and be loved, the longing of what can no longer be, the importance of choice over fate but with both still leading meaninglessly to death.
It's not hard to say what this movie is saying.

It's not about not fitting in the world, but not being able to connect to others.
This isn't like some teenager who feels like some outcast of the group, but how basically everyone seeks to be with others and we just become boring and uninteresting the more we know others.

>>68740623
Yeah, I was thinking about that speech too. Though it makes me wonder why others don't care about others people's suffering, even if we have our own problems.
>>
>>68736834
it was green wasn't it? Because her character is very floral, earthy, and basically full of the best aspects of life. Natural and innocent are the words I'm looking for.
>>
>>68740450
It's somewhat of a cautionary tale against navel-gazing. Caden spend so much time being self-obsessed and awaiting his inevitable death that he fails to actually make the time to connect with other people and find ways to live meaningfully. It's all just mulling over what he did the day before until he's too old to enjoy any of it. It doesn't really offer much of an alternative however, so in the end it's mostly just a depiction of the issue. Kind of like saying, "I know this is bad, but I can't stop doing it" almost like it's a fundamental part of the human condition.
>>
>>68739742
>This film was made for fragile little white boys whose biggest adversity in life is not knowing which shitty arts major they should waste their parent's money on.

Let's pretend to know about peoples lives without ever meeting them or interacting with them because they connected with a film I personally didn't like. Is there anything more pathetic?
>>
>>68740796
It gets pretty complex at that point but probably something similar to why people can't communicate and understand each other. And, like in one of the songs in the soundtrack, people only really ever see an altered version of us, one that we create because of how we want to be perceived. Another theme I thought of offhandedly is the idea of wasting your life, or having lived your whole life and not made something of it, which is reflected in Caden's project
>>
>>68740906
I personally felt it was a commentary on Heidegger to a degree. That we must accept that we will die and place importance on our actions. But Caden places so much importance on death itself and its innevitability that he ignores his life choices.
We are human beings thrown into a world without choice. We are orientated into a particular direction with future possibilities all of which are pre-determined in terms of our displacement into this world, but due to our finitude, we do not know that pre-determination. Our existence is wholly contingent upon that throwness and futural orientation. The past demarcates our throwness, language, cultural-socio-economic setting. The future demarcates our continual directed-ness towards our own death. The prospect of our non-existence is an omni-present possibility that overshadows ever decision we make, because it is always a looming possibility. The only true individuality that we have, is that of our own death. For no-one can die for us. So, to live authentically means to come to bear with our own mortality in terms of its radical possibility. Death is a not a certainty, but a ever-looming possibility in every waking moment and decision that we make. The house we buy and live, the people we choose to surround ourselves around, all of these options entail the prospect of our own death. The house we buy might eventually catch fire and cause our own death.
>>
>>68740938
>Another theme I thought of offhandedly is the idea of wasting your life
Yes, this too is and important theme. We only have one life and it's slipping through out fingers. Adel even says ''you think you have all the time in the world to figure it out'' or something like that, and I always feel that while Caden obsesses over everything, he doesn't think about life and others around him and Adel does the opposite, she glosses over everything and doesn't care for anything but heavily thinks about life and its importance.

Offhandedly, with people I know, I started being more of my true self, nihilistic and people don't really seem to enjoy bluntness and honesty. A guy I know is unable to walk and was diagnosed with cancer. We started talking about morality and such and the topic of being remembered came up. I told him that I honestly wouldn't really care if he died, despite being his friend for almost a decade. I would cry, sure, but after awhile, it will be like he never existed. After that, well, he started talking less and less with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=662uPQ7Xrdw

>And so you build up layers of deception
>And you leave out things to alter the perceptions
>Of the ones you love
>Who would never love you back
>If they knew all about you
I hate how true it is. People cannot be truthful to others. And yet, people are disappointed when they find that the lies you show others are, in fact, just lies to be friendly with others.
Although I guess I also proved that I don't care about the suffering of others and its truthfulness only made me more lonely.
>>
>>68740796
I'm suspicious of the priest's speech. It feels overdone in some way I can't describe, I think it indicates Caden's ultimate failure in his project, creatively settling for some over-emotional cheap catharsis. It's really relentless.
>>
>>68734512
I try to make it a point to watch this movie at least once a year. I get something new out of it every time. Also a bunch of existential dread. It's the antithesis of a comfy movie, but I think it's pretty great. I love surrealism.
>>
>>68742792
>they say that there is no fate, but there is, it's in what you create
Although you have to remember that the speech wasn't done by him but by that women who interpreted Caden's opinion and play.
I agree with you that there's something overly emotional and overdone and I equally can't put my finger on it.
Is it the speech itself, some aspect of it or deliberately done that way?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8pIICYydk

It really does song like the last thing you hear as all your senses die out. Just noise as you fade into nothingness.
Does anyone know what that telephone noise is? I've heard it when I was a kid but I can't place it anywhere.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRI6Cx-S98&list=RDvEeJZaj1aBM

>watch me Caden
>watch me learn that after death, there is no more watching

>>68742792
I also realized something I said >>68738411
It took death for both Hazel and Caden to feel their connection to life to be threaten to get together.

Now that I'm rewatching snipets of the movie, on the subject of art immitating life and life imitating art, literal reimagination of art, basically what Caden has been doing, is wrong.
There's a part at 1:36:00 where the replacement of Hazel says what Hazel should be doing, even if she hasn't done it yet. Hazel bitches that it's something she wouldn't do and hasn't done. I find that personally absurb and hilarious
>sorry real Hazel, the imitation knows you more than you know yourself

And it's somewhat reflected in the funeral speech
Originally Caden wanted a 1:1 recreation of the funeral but it had no message, no purpose. And it was change to be only a message only. Blatantly laid out. I think it says that imitating life can only go so far as life doesn't have any messages but its repurposing it and interpreting it in the form of art gives meaning.
Life with no message and art with only message. Maybe that's where it feels wrong. It's too blatant. An equilibrium of the two, being more subtle is the true way to go. Much like how Caden focused too much on his health issues and Adel didn't give a fuck, the middle ground is better.
>>
It's also hilarious that, late in the movie, Caden starts fucking Hazel's actor and Hazel starts fucking Samy, Caden's actor. And they realize how fucking stupid it is and kiss.
>>
Its a well crafted movie, you can tell its pretty smart, and some of the shit goes over my head.

Its not really enjoyable to watch though, and I dont see myself rewatching it anytime soon. Its a very depressing movie, makes you feel like shit, and you want to die after watching it.

My prerequisite to a favorite movie is it needs to be smart, and also enjoyable.
>>
>>68746629
If you laugh with the movie, it becomes enjoyable.
>>
>>68736029
this
also too many characters
>>
Alec is that you?
>>
>>68747674
Really? There's really not that many characters.
>>
>>68747420
How could I laugh at a movie just covered in depression, death, sadness, and sickness.

The only thing I remember laughing about is when the girl bought a house on fire, and even then its supposed to mean that you might buy the house you die in.
>>
>>68748639
I have no idea. Maybe laugh as a way to escape the truth of it.
>>
>>68734594
>enjoyable
>>
>>68748907
Death is enjoyable.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.