[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alien Resurrection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: alien-resurrection-ripley1.jpg (20 KB, 450x245) Image search: [Google]
alien-resurrection-ripley1.jpg
20 KB, 450x245
What was this guys deal?
And what was with the ending? Earth was all post-apocalyptic, was that a set up for a sequel?

I acknowledge that the first film is and always will be the best Alien film and Resurrection seemed like a literal reboot of the franchise, but well, it kind of fucked that up didn't it?
>>
>>68715538
I think it was a set-up for a TV show.

Hence why FireFly ties into Alien Franchise with WY logo.

This was PREboot era, BTW. (not including reboot that was still on tv at the time)

Alien 4 was something different entirely.
>>
>>68715538
>And what was with the ending? Earth was all post-apocalyptic, was that a set up for a sequel?
But they don't show Earth you fucking retard
>>
>>68715722

>Hence why FireFly ties into Alien Franchise with WY logo.

wait wut?

citation needed.
>>
File: A4DC02.jpg (523 KB, 1172x676) Image search: [Google]
A4DC02.jpg
523 KB, 1172x676
>>68715921
What planet was this then?
>>
>>68715983
Earth-that-was
>>
>>68715538
I don't get why people hate this movie. To me it's well made, fresh and creative and inspiring. I take this movie dearly as a model to understand many abstract things. Such as feminism.
>>
File: weyland.jpg (101 KB, 1000x560) Image search: [Google]
weyland.jpg
101 KB, 1000x560
>>68715942
oh, no one told you?

Joss directed Alien Resurrection.
The guy who did FireFly did Alien4.

hence the hatred, just the Dcucks.
>>
>>68716092
Troll aside, I don't get why people hate it either.

Sure it wasn't alien, and at times it felt like the characters were cardboard cutouts of characters that already existed but I thought it was decent.
>>
>>68716102
Don't shit up the thread with your capeshit faggotry
>>
fork
>>
>>68716136
that's the trouble, it's just ok, it's just some stuff that happens, there's nothing really truly iconic about it, even the supposed extraordinary marvel of a xenomorph with a womb is forgettable. The ship and the monster in Alien are icons, the quotes and action in Aliens is iconic, the cinematography and the imagery in Alien 3 is iconic, but alien 4 doesn't really have a thing, it's just some sci fi stuff and some action stuff.
>>
>>68716152
he also did the avengers.
>>
>>68716102

Joss Whedon wrote the script, Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie and City of Lost Children) directed it
>>
>>68716417
the fact you think the imagery in alien3 is iconic, made me throw up a little.
>>
>>68716471
his style's all over it too, different script different characters and it might've been beautiful.
>>
>>68716060
oh jesus, mind fucking blown
>>
>>68716471
he did the script for buffy the movie, got a TV show series for it.
>>
>>68716490
are you saying that as somebody who's not seen the alien 3 special edition? Fincher's direction is beautiful.
https://vimeo.com/76672771
>>
>>68716516
right? the timelines work out too, BTW.
>>
>>68715983
never seen this scene. deleted scenes or directors cut?
>>
>>68716558
it's fine, it's not the Alien 3 I saw growing up, so lemme say, that is a not a touch down, still a fumble. It's good, but still except for AvP2, is the second worse.

to make it seem like the humans are trapped because they're in a prison is just hamboning it hamfistedly like a christmas ham.

(and a monastery) oh snap.
>>
>>68716605
2003 Special Edition[edit]
In 2003, Jeunet included an alternate version of the film on the Alien Quadrilogy DVD box set with different opening and closing credits, which were originally cut due to budget restrictions. The deleted scenes included references to the character Newt from Aliens, Vriess making a joke to Call, Ripley's clone waking up in the middle of her operation, an extended conversation in the mess hall that reveals the details of Ripley's former employers, Weyland-Yutani, an extended dialogue between Call and Ripley's clone in the chapel and scenes of the Betty landing on Earth and the planet's landscape during the final dialogue between Ripley and Call, as they view the ruins of Paris. The special edition restores 13 minutes and 5 seconds worth of footage (including the new opening and ending), and is 7 minutes longer than theatrical version.[32] Jeunet has stated that the special edition is not a director's cut as his preferred version is the theatrical cut.
>>
File: 12390098371.jpg (21 KB, 501x418) Image search: [Google]
12390098371.jpg
21 KB, 501x418
>>68716417
>the cinematography and the imagery in Alien 3 is iconic
>>
>>68716502
Screenwriter Joss Whedon was unhappy with the final product. When asked in 2005 how the film differed from the script he had written, Whedon responded:

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."[30]
>>
>>68716695
Joss is a man child.
>>
>>68716620
I don't understand your protest, why were they not trapped?

>>68716685
think about alien 3 and tell me what you remember.
bald ripley, infirmary scene, self sacrifice scene. it's memorable for the things you see
>>
>>68716502
It's funny that people want to hate Joss so much, when he's clearly shown to be on par with guys like Sam Raimi... Obviously.

But then again there's not really a director in the world that anyone likes 100% but Whedon is top tier if not in a pop culture way. He'll always be a cuck to some people for just doing movies that don't have Neo-Nazi as lead role.
>>
>>68716828
0/10
>>
>>68716828
I don't like anything he's involved with because it's all just trite tropes. His fans seem to enjoy that though, pointing out when they see the lead character do a thing lead characters do, or the witty sidekick say something witty. I don't want to know what's going to happen. I want to be mislead and fooled.
>>
>>68716805
They were trapped, for the 3rd time in a row. But that's not how Alien is suppose to go.

Lemme say the things I remember about Alien3 is I forgot she jumped into the mercury after. The fact there was 7 supporting actors and you only remember one of them guys is shitty.

What I really remember is the dog alien being so fucking terrible looking, people running away from a Sam Raimi style death chase camera.

Everything else taking forever, and ripley wandering around aimlessly.

When I first saw it I didn't even know if there was 1 alien or 3, or why it was different, this was before we knew about xenomorphs changing based on what they infected.

there's a lot of shit that came out.
>>
>>68716828
>on par with guys like Sam Raimi.
kek, not even close. He's a completely flavourless director, like everybody they get to do capeshit.
>>
>>68716910
arbitrary ranking for posterity? could have at least said 8/8
>>
>>68716793
Proof that the film is far from what his script envisioned it to be.
The entire "Whedon" argument is moot
>>
>>68716947
It's funny, because it's not tropes. That's why a lot of people like him. Almost everything he does is goes against the tropes, not WITH them. He's aware of the tropes, and avoids them. That's a hard thing to explain. If there are tropes in there it's the typical tropes. You know. Water is wet, gravity falls down, boys like girls. Basic shit. Nothing like if there is a boy and girl hero they must have a love hate relationship and will fall in love by the end of the movie, or else you would hae seen Black widow cuddling up to bruce banner in the shwarma shop in avengers.

The fact he had the guys just eating shwarma was anti-trope of the after credit trope that marvel started of the big important scene. And has then Bruce Banner falling alseep even.

Not introducing Agents of SHIELD as you find out so and so isn't dead...

I dunno, i guess anti-tropes seems like Tropes. I dunno, it's harder to explain. It's not just a thing. It's what people want. It's only compared to Nolans batman that it seems crass.
>>
>>68716978
Hercules to Xena
Buffy to Angel

Spider-Man
Avengers

yeah, no nothing like everybody desu capeshit
>>
>>68717061
The argument is that it was the inspiration for FireFly, that it was suppose to end with hopes for a TV show. Again he did the script for Buffy and got a TV show.

Whatevers, who knows, DESU kino.
>>
>>68717281
Raimi only produced those. Spider-Man is nothing like modern capeshit.

They're not in the same league.
>>
>>68716663
>an extended conversation in the mess hall that reveals the details of Ripley's former employers, Weyland-Yutani
Ah yes, where Jeunet and Joss Whedon reveal that Weyland-Yutani was bought out by Walmart, of all fucking things.

Great job you two shit hacks.
>>
>>68717061
Proof that while all of us blame the writer for the script, the writer blames everyone else for things the rest of us didn't mind.
Joss Whedon is a shit person.
>>
>>68717406
if you say so,
>>68717486
script is just the first step of film filmmaking process. It's usually the treatment before anything else comes. It's the reason why movies are made. It's only recently you're seeing movies made without a script like Mad Max and Iron-Man. Where they have a good treatment but nothing else.

We blame the script. you don't see the directors blame the script writers. But when the dialogue sucks, it can be the scriptwriters fault if they don't write it good enough for the actors or understand how the actors emote.
>>
So was Earth devastated because of the first ship that crashed into it? Ripley and the crew are pieces of shit, they literally destroyed the planet and don't give a single fuck. I hope there's a sequel where minutes after they land a giant xeno brutalizes all of them and Ripley learns the error of her ways before being torn apart and suffering endless pain.
>>
>>68717486
Resurrection suffers from some monumentally bad casting though.
And Jean-Pierre Jeunet went for a dark comedy angle that does the film a great disservice
>>
>>68716968
A lot of that's addressed in the special edition to be honest, the xeno especially, they didn't know if they wanted it to be a dog or a cow or something else when they were butchering it for the theatrical release.
I'm surprised you don't remember more of the characters though.

>>68717247
>it's not tropes
it's all tropes, buffy, marvel, it's all tropes, I don't know how you can say it's not when everything he's involved with is a series of scenes with specific tropes determining how ir progresses.
>That's a hard thing to explain.
There's nothing to explain, everything is cliché, all of it. It's what his audience want. they're unchallenging, safe, expectation meeting, mass market pleasing stories.
I should stop arguing this because we're never going to see eye to eye on this.

>It's what people want. It's only compared to Nolans batman that it seems crass.
Nolan's batman is crass anyway, it's all crass rubbish, silly superheroes are silly.
>>
>>68717640
>script is just the first step of film filmmaking process. It's usually the treatment before anything else comes.
What do you think you're clearing up by saying this?
> It's the reason why movies are made.
No, pictures like these get greenlit and then they pick a screenwriter. There would have been an Alien 4 even if Joss Whedon was never born.
>We blame the script. you don't see the directors blame the script writers.
Directors are supposed to be where the buck stops, but they blame producers. Whedon blamed half the cast and crew.
>>
>>68716558
Alien 3 directors cut is fuckin amazing
>>
>Firefly
>Buffy
>Angel
>Avengers

Is there one original thought in any of these things?
>>
>>68716471
And Josh blames him and all the actors for his shitty script being bad
>>
>>68718087
As he should.
>>
File: tfw I am not alone.gif (3 MB, 220x242) Image search: [Google]
tfw I am not alone.gif
3 MB, 220x242
>>68717942
>>
>>68717997
>space cowboy
>vampire slayer girl
>vampire detective
>first multi universe comic book movie

where is the unoriginal thought in those things?
>>
>>68718184
is this a joke?
this is too much like a parody to be real
you're messing with us
you're not really shilling for Joss Whedon and the values of lebbit are you?
that's like defending corporate pop music on a DIY punk forum
>>
>>68717733
>dark comedy
>disservice

But it was the only way to go after Alien cubed shat the bed. Nobody was afraid of the xenomorph anymore.

What I like about Resurrection is the cinematography, that it's in space again, the one military guy is not an asshole and that it's an okay action movie until the idiocy with the hybrid rears its ugly head.
>>
>>68718364
not when the movie came out, but he's made enough fucking stuff to prove he knows what he's doing. this isn't m night shyamalan quality going on, he's made more money then he's lost.
>>
>>68718359
I don't know if you're joking
this has gone too far

>>68718407
>he's made enough fucking stuff to prove he knows what he's doing
making money and making art are different things, almost opposite things
do you know what a hack is?
>>
File: I need to drink.png (158 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
I need to drink.png
158 KB, 500x281
Is this real? Is this happening?
>>
>>68717733
Casting was the only good thing. Based Hedaya is in this for christ's sake
>>
>>68718445
yeah, I do. M night shyamalan. as I said before. He's not a hack. A shill maybe. But enjoying to watch something isn't a negative...
>>
>>68718364
I'm not shilling for Whedon at all, I'm fucking saying that the blame doesn't lie entirely with him for the final product that Resurrection is.
I liked Firefly but I haven't seen any of his Marvel movies and I don't plan to. I hate the current infestation of capeshit and fanboyism that has infected /tv/ worse than the paedophilia.
>>
>>68718567
IT was good casting, but I guess Joss needs to know the actors better. I forget what the issue was...
>>
>>68718518
> OH GOD SOMEONE DISAGREED WITH THE HIVEMIND I'M LITERALLY BEING RAPED
>>
>>68718567
>Based Hedaya

This right here was a major fucking problem. He played the character like it was a fucking kid's movie.
>>
>>68718568
>He's not a hack
They're pumping out films for monetary gain that's basically the definition.

>>68718617
Yeah no that's not what's bewildering, it's that it's being done in a way totally indistinguishable from parody.
>>
>>68718674
He was still new at doing the scripts. I think the 250 episodes of buffy and angel gave him some experience... but still that seems dumb, they were well written series. Buffy was rough at the start, but I fucking loved angel.
>>
>>68718743
that's shilling, hack is when something is beyond your skill level. can't hack it.

hack
a person who is a professional at doing some sort of service, but does crappy work.

Shill is someone that works for money. which is on par for the fucking course in movies.
>>
>>68718899
you are joking aren't you

>a person, as an artist or writer, who exploits, for money, his or her creative ability or training in the production of dull, unimaginative, and trite work; one who produces banal and mediocre work in the hope of gaining commercial success in the arts:
>>As a painter, he was little more than a hack.

you are actually just having a laugh now
>>
https://youtu.be/2k0SmqbBIpQ
>>
>>68715983

Planet France
>>
>>68719206
underage detected
>>
>>68719000
okay, you find the one Avengers movie he did unimaginative and dull and trite, banal and mediocre...

I can't help you there. I've seen a lot more movies maybe and just know there's worse movies.

it's on the higher end of the bell curve.
>>
resurrection was good though a bit distasteful at times, i really enjoy it and consider it on the same level as cubed, for very different reasons of course
>>
File: no.jpg (15 KB, 579x245) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
15 KB, 579x245
>>68719696
your post speaks for itself.
>>
>>68718674
>a movie about space monsters
It IS a fucking kid's movie
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.