[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it flying under the radar?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4
File: chiwetel-mordo-pic.jpg (144 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
chiwetel-mordo-pic.jpg
144 KB, 720x480
Why is it flying under the radar?
>>
>>68686222

Are you daft, Mikkelsen is Mordo, he's even wearing green!
>>
File: 123.jpg (21 KB, 490x105) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
21 KB, 490x105
>>68686296
mads playing Modred the Mystic
>>
While I guess he is technically "Baron Mordo" and supposed to be slavic. Mordo is a pretty trivial character who's only real story is fighting strange over things. Which is kind of surprising they're willing to "blackwash" a villain, but maybe they'll make him a nice guy.

The Ancient One being a white chick is more bothersome I think, as while I'm happy to have more female characters I'd like to see more Asians in movies.

I'd have rather made Baron Mordo "Baroness Morda" and kept the Ancient One as an old Asian guy.

Hell, I'd even be fine if they got an old Asian actor who didn't speak english and sub him, but Americans tend to hate subs. Could dub him with "telepathy" and not have him talk at all, just act without speaking, which could be neat.
>>
>>68687513
>The Ancient One being a white chick is more bothersome I think
That is "literally who" and Mordo showed up in classic cartoons. So, fuck off.
>>
>>68686442

I get a suspicious feeling imdb is fucking wrong, not to mention Modred isn't even supposed to be a bad guy in the comics especially in comparison to Mordo who is Strange's most bitter enemy and rival.
>>
>>68687513
>The Ancient One being a white chick is more bothersome I think

Why? He was a white dude before, the only thing they're changing is making him into Tilda Swinton, who is kinda androgynous-looking with a shaved head anyways
>>
>>68687850
What?

The Ancient One is the one who taught Strange magic and one of the most important characters to his beginnings.

Mordo is kinda important as a rival to Strange, but I don't even recalling him having a lot of back story other than just another student of the Ancient One who was jealous and more selfish than Strange.

>>68688159
The Ancient One? He always looked like an old Asian to me. Where was he shown as white?
>>
>>68688362
>most important characters to his beginnings
Yes, but his origin are not the whole character. His endless rival is more important than first book literal who teacher and don't even try to disprove that.
>>
>>68686222
Because literally nobody gives a shit about him.
>>
>>68688873
Strange talked to the Ancient One Quite a bit until he died. I would say he was a more prominent character than Mordo before his death, and when he dies is often changed with each retelling.

Since this is going to be an origin and the Ancient One probably won't die before the third act of the movie, I'd still say it's a more important casting choice for this movie.

Over the years, yes Mordo does become more important, but even then, as a Doctor Strange fan, I can't tell you shit about Mordo other than maybe being Slavic (from Transylvania or some shit) and often depicted as an advanced student when Strange shows up to learn.
>>
>>68689252
>I'd still say it's a more important casting choice for this movie
You know, that they aren't going to change him in sequel.
>>
>>68689906
Of course not, but if that character is shit the movie is more likely to be shit and so no one would have to worry about a sequel.
>>
>>68690213
All MCU characters are shit, but this still makes shittons of money.
>>
>>68687513

They didn't want to piss off the Chinese audience (government) with the Ancient One.

Also Chiwetel Ejiofor is GOAT in anything he plays and will probably steal every scene he is in.

Also Baron Mordo and Dr Strange used to be bros. So that angle will be great if done right.
>>
>>68690411
>Also Chiwetel Ejiofor is GOAT in anything he plays and will probably steal every scene he is in.
That doesn't explain the blackwash. Tilda is good actress too, but gook imitators still have their right to whine.
>>
>>68690813

>will probably be the best MCU villain since Loki due to the fact he is GOAT actor

>needs explaining
>>
>nobody is talking about based Benedict Wong playing Strange's Alfred
>>
>>68687513
Thanks for the info, Carl.
>>
>>68690813
>Doesn't explain the blackwash
Hollywood makes a lot of arbitrary decisions I can't even make sense of anymore. I don't know why Kaa was a female in the new jungle book either.
>>
>>68691184
>h-he is good so blackwashing is justified

oki, stop talking
>>
>>68686222
Because Mordo is the literally who-est of literally who's and Chipotle Elifignor is a bangin actor
>>
>>68691537
>Casting a great actor is a reasonable decision

Well, yes.
>>
>>68687513
>I'd like to see more Asians in movies.
That might be my frustration more than the fact that she's a woman.

I mean... it's still Doctor Strange, so I'm going to see it anyway, but seriously, what roles of anything lately do they give to Asians other than "Donnie Chang, the Chinese Takeout Guy"?

They have no problem blackifying Nick Fury, Heimdall, and Mordo to give the movies a bit of "color," but heaven forbid we actually have an Asian character who was supposed to be Asian in the original material.
>>
>>68686222
Oddly, if you get past his blackness, his face actually lines up pretty good with the comic version, shape wise.
>>
Fucking Hollywood and their niggerwashing
>>
>>68691537
Do you complain about based Idris being in the MCU as well?
>>
>>68690411
>>68691709
Does fucking anyone in this film have an actual human being name
>>
>complain that ancient one isn't Asian
>but it's for Mordo

The sheer amount of cognitive dissonance and double think required to be a liberal is mind boggling.
>>
>>68691801
That's because the Ancient One is a really cliche Asian mystic in the comics. It'd be cheesy to do that on screen.
>>
>>68691859
Rachel McAdams is in it.
>>
>>68691820
Thank you for that contribution
>>
Should have made Jackie Chan the Ancient One desu
>>
>>68691833
No, because his character wasn't in the classic Spider-man cartoon.
>>
>>68692136
>muh cartoons
Get over yourself. Chiwetel's a great actor, and he'll be great in the MCU.
>>
>>68692255
When are we going to change every white character to black then? Hopefully soon, so tited of crackers.
>>
>>68692255
I said stop talking.
>>
>>68691801
Benedict Wong is in it
>>
>Benefit Curtainrod
>Chitwhistle Elfknees
>Tilda Swinton
>Mads Mikkelson
>Benedict Wong
>Rachel McAdams

Is this the most talent loaded Marvel movie? Normally it's a name star, a veteran actor and a few sorta-knowns but this is a heavy hitter cast.
>>
>>68686222
I liked him in the fly or fly movie.

>in more civilized times men would fall on their swords when they had erred as enormously as you
Well unfortunately I don't have a swor-
>shiiiing

Hecka fricking neat
>>
>>68692794
Maybe, but still depicts racechanging bullshit which is not nice.
>>
Who's playing Wong? Is it a Latino?
>>
>>68690411
I suspect they'll do a Sinestro thing and have him start out as Strange's bro but then set him up as the villain for the sequel.

Hopefully they'll do it a bit more gracefully than Green Lantern did, though.
>>
>>68693143
Some British guy named Benedict
>>
>>68693143
>>68691293
>>
>>68693143
Benedict Wong is playing Wong, pay attention to the thread.
>>
>>68686222

Changing a white character to be anything other than white only bothers white supremacists, because white characters are grossly over-represented in media and any move towards greater diversity is welcomed.

Casting a white actress in an Asian role is called out because it's been being done consistently for a century and resulted in Asian actors basically being entirely sidelined in Hollywood. Where blackface has been vilified for many decades in anything but the most satirical depictions of it, yellowface is still somehow seen as an acceptable choice in regular dramatic roles. That's due in no small part to the frequent unwillingness of Asians to rock the boat and be outspoken activists for change, but that seems to be changing.

While it's been said that using a white actor for the Ancient One was spurred on by the political situation with China & Tibet, that could easily be assuaged by relocating the Ancient One to somewhere similar, but less contentious. One could also stave off criticism of the hackneyed "white guy learns Eastern mysticism" nature of Dr. Strange by making Stephen Strange himself something other than Anglo. Make him Latino, make him Middle-eastern, make him Indian.
>>
>>68693356
>Changing a white character to be anything other than white only bothers white supremacists, because white characters are grossly over-represented in media and any move towards greater diversity is welcomed.

Oh fuck off.

Make new characters or actually adapt existing minority characters.
>>
>>68693356
Well memed, Carl.
>>
>>68693356
Why asians don't cast white people in their movies then?
>>
>>68693315

Shut up faggot, just answer my god damn question when I ask it, or else we'll have a problem.
>>
>>68693577
Because facko yu, baka gaijin
>>
>>68691432
>. I don't know why Kaa was a female
For fetish fuel
>>
>>68693588
Do something.
>>
>>68686222
Diminishing Returns

You make a big cape film, alright, it's a big deal.

You make 50 cape films, just fuck off already.
>>
Maybe /tv/ is just tired of getting buttflustered over every little thing
>>
>>68693417
So the history of non-whites being marginalized in a medium since its origins -- only gaining any recognition in recent years -- needs to be repeated in film adaptions of that medium? Minorities had to wait their turn to be present in comic books, and now they have to wait there turn to be in movies

So nothings changed regarding white supremacy then
>>
>>68693958
What the fuck are you talking about?

I said make a new character or adapt existing minority characters.

Just changing existing races is stupid and cheap, it doesnt make anyone happy and its done for all the wrong reasons almost all of the time.

Why is raising awareness for characters created for and to be of a minority group a bad thing you fucking retard?
>>
>>68687513
Totally agree. But blacking characters can't be criticized unless you're a racist. And Disney probably wants to side step the whole Tibet thing by making it a white woman and therefore being able to release it in Chinkland.
Still I think they could have just made him from Shaolin, if they were smart they'd just make it Bhutan, since the religion, culture, architecture and history is essentially the same as Tibet.
>>
>>68691899
>liberal double think

Do you know how stupid you sound? Go back to /pol/ faggot no one cares about your muh liberal muh conservative bullshit.
>>
>>68693577
There aren't as many attractive white actors and actresses who are fluent in whatever language the movie is being filmed in. Audiences everywhere dont like subtitles
>>
>>68694359
>Audiences everywhere dont like subtitles
God dammit I hate normies so much
>>
>>68694269
>le triggered SJW post
kek
>>
>>68693577
The Koreans have been doing it for a while.
>>
>>68693356
Fuck off faglord. It pisses off actual fans and there's never any reason for it other than muh diversity. Blacks represent 1/10 of the US population, they are grossly over-represented.

>>68693577
Mostly because their movies aren't really meant for exporting. When's the last time you saw a live action Asian movie in theaters in the West? Crouching Tiger?

Also in Japan movies are less about telling stories than as a platform for some idol. Which is probably one reason why Japanese movies suck. Also as you could guess there's the language barrier with hiring foreigners in Asian movies.
That being said, there's this ultra white chick who does hotel.com commercials or something here in Japan. Her Japanese is prefect.
>>
>>68694065
Let's just subtract Marvel's love affair with black sidekicks for a second. Looking beyond that, the current most popular minority Marvel characters are all legacies

They just cast a 19 year old Spider-Man. They haven't even got Captain Marvel on screen yet. So now we have to wait like a decade for Spider-Man to be in a place to get Miles Morales on screen, or Ms. Marvel

Or, we could do like you said. Create a new character in the comics and wait even more years for them to relevant enough and accumulate enough stories as the white-by-default characters from the 1960s
>>
DC is doing it right

Raceswap without fanfare or acknowledgement for brownie points. It's never even been brought up in Will Smith's case, for example

JUST do it
>>
>>68694888
aye yo hol up, wasn't like everyone on /tv/ pissed about that a year ago?

The reason why no one was pissed about it on Twitter is because you can't criticize blackcasting without seeming like a racist.

Also enjoy your Jaden Smith as Static Shock.
>>
>>68694261
But then lots of people will be pissed that he isnt tibetian. it was a no win situation so they said fuck it and cast an amazing actor instead
>>
>>68694888

Not to mention Aquaman, who's part white, I guess, but far from the Aryan he is in comics.

I'm still hoping they'll use John Stewart in the DCEU since Hal Jordan 1) sucks and 2) was the subject of the GL movie bomb. Bring in Hawkgirl like in the cartoon and anyone can play her; she's an alien.
>>
>>68695070
Nah, nobody was pissed about Smith being black and playing Deadshot so much as *Will Smith* playing Deadshot, since he changes the script to every movie he signs on for so that the character is the same "Will Smith" character every time. And that was corroborated by the trailers - hence the "HOL UP" meme.
>>
>>68690353
and they all kill off their villains, except for Loki.

Villains in MCU movies are hired for one film only
>>
File: doctor_strange.jpg (137 KB, 641x730) Image search: [Google]
doctor_strange.jpg
137 KB, 641x730
>>68686222
Who gives a shit?
I'm sure you defended this.
>>
>>68695122
Until the 17th century Bhutan was apart of Tibet. It was formed by a Tibetian Llama who had a disagreement with another Llama. They are the same ethnicity.
The ancient one was born long before the 17th century. It could have worked and skirted the whole Chinko-Tibetian issue.
>>
>>68695313
Technically Zola was in two movies.
>>
>>68694781
And people were pissed off that they didnt change iron fist to being asian even though it ruins the entire fucking point of the character. He a rich white boy who gets lost in a mystic Chinese city and has to peove himself while being subjected to racism. Then he comes to NY and his best friend is a black man who went to prison and was subjected to a ton of racism too. Its part of why they are such good friends. Having Danny be asain would be stupid.

They fucking cast Shang Chi in it probably because of that whole out cry. But did anyone care? No SJWs still just bitch cause they picked a target
>>
>>68693577
They do when they can speak the language
And white people are usuallu bad guys
>>
>>68695589
Or Token White Friend
>>
>>68695313
They're not gonna kill a nigger.
>>
>>68695313
Because they don't want them coming up again. Audiences have already seen it and want a new villain next time.
Aside form X-Men or the Scarecrow in DKRT villains die or go to jail and aren't seen again in all capeshit.
>>
>>68695589
Like every Chink movie set in the Qing dynasty. I'm always waiting for the evil white character in their suits.
>>
>>68694844
You're retarded.

First off:

Notable with Captain Marvel being Carol, you dont need to do the exact same comic shit (you dumb fuck) you can skip right to them. Ms. Marvel could be Kamala. Robbie Reyes could be Ghost Rider (i would like this)

Second: You're still fucking dumb because theres a ton of solo minority characters who arent sidekicks or legacy like fucking BLADE.

Or Luke Cage, who's getting his own NETFLIX SHOW.

Or how about uhm... Lets see, theres a big list.

Black Panther is already getting his, so thats scratched off.

War Machine, he's already in the movies, he's done.

Falcon is kind of sidekickish so i suppose he doesnt matter to you.

Cloak from Cloak and Dagger? Oh wait, he's getting a TV show.

Storm? Bishop? Warpath? Hnn, already in the X-Men films, how about that.

Deathlok... Already in Agents of SHIELD

Big Hero 6 was already adapted.

Okay okay im done joshing your dumb ass, here lemme list a few who could get their own movies or star in ensemble films, since you're an idiot.

Night Thrasher

Prowler

Patriot

Goliath

Gateway

Captain Marvel (Monica)

Arana Spider-Girl

Firebird

Living Lightning

Miss America / America Chavez

Vengeance

Any of the White Tigers

Shang Chi (likely to be in Iron Fist)

Red Wolf

Thunderbird
I can go on for days. Many of these are already popular and have tons of history, so how about you shut the fuck up before you talk about something you dont know again.
>>
>>68695778
wasn't everyone supposed to be Asian in BH6? But they made them black, Mexican and stoner for the movie?
>>
>>68695778
And thats just Marvel that this anon is referencing. Not even DC, Image, or Wildstorm. So yeah, anon, you're pretty stupid.
>>
>>68695434
Why would I defend character which barely shows in the comics?
>>
>>68695904
TBF the BH6 comics were pretty shit and everybody but Sunfire was basically a weeaboo stereotype.
>>
>>68695778
>skip right to them. Ms. Marvel could be Kamala
Carol Corps would throw an epic fit.

Besides Kamala isnt blockbuster material. Would make a better low bidget movie or a tv show

Shang Chi is in Iron Fist but that hasnt stopped the butthurt. I've heard more bitching that Danny Rand isn't asain than ancient one being swinton
>>
>>68696020
It's funny that in Japan the movie didn't use the Enrish and was called Baymax
>>
>>68696065
>I've heard more bitching that Danny Rand isn't asain than ancient one being swinton

Which would completely destroy a good 50% of his character.
>>
>>68696065
If they did Kamala would they hire some British Paki? Are there any British Paki actresses?
Would they hire a Bollywood actress to play an American muslim?
Or would they hire an Israeli or Mexican, the typical Hollywood go-tos for brown people?
>>
>>68696158
Yup and destroy the entire point of the friendship between luke and danny. Doesn't stop SJWs from bitching
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.