[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I open a movie theater. I want to only run old movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
How do I open a movie theater. I want to only run old movies at my theater, 80s,90s and a few older ones and mewer ones. But no actual theater movies.

I want to start with Terminator 2. I have no money.
>>
>>68680756
Your best bet is to not actually run a cinema.

Instead, have a look around at your local libraries and see what they have in the form of multi-media rooms. Many of them have big rooms with large projector screens and surround sound systems which they use to show movies on the weekends (usually free to the public).

Ask if you can be allowed to organize a monthly movie night which shows the movies you're interested in.
>>
>old movies
>80s,90s
>>
File: 1459856530241.jpg (146 KB, 492x663) Image search: [Google]
1459856530241.jpg
146 KB, 492x663
>>68680756
>I have no money.
That may prove a problem
>>
>>68680827
OP here

But I don't want a small hipster audience.

I want normalfags to come and watch old movies on the big screen.

I want people to watch Jurassic Park 1 the way non of us saw it.
>>
There is absolutely no profit or sustainability in what you are passionate about.

>>68680827

This anon's idea is nice. Try to start some sort of club or events company for likeminded people and advertise it via word of mouth/social media. If it picks up and gains a following you may be able to turn it into something more profitable in years to come.

It's a lovely dream. But you can't just open a theatre. Gotta start small.
>>
>>68681009
ok

thx
>>
>>68680990
>But I don't want a small hipster audience.

Well too fuckin' bad because that's the only people who will come to such showings. But hipster isn't really the best description. Freaks is more like it.

I recommend going to see a midnight showing of a summer film series at one of the historic cinemas around your country. You'll see what kind of weirdos always show up.
>>
>>68681009
of I do that.

Do I have to pay for the rights of the movie to show them on the big screen?

No licensing problems?

how do theaters buy movies?
>>
Franchise with AMC.
>>
With regards to paying things like royalties: You don't have to do that if you offer the movie for free.

Hear me out. You say :come watch a free movie... and pay for food/drinks." People are paying you like you're a restaurant, and that's all overhead anyway. The movie is "free" in the technical sense.
>>
>>68681152
fuck......
>>
>>68681248
this anon
>>
I organize secret 90s movies night at my garage. It has a pretty big wall and I get more than 40 people in.
>>
>>68680990
>I want normalfags to come and watch old movies on the big screen.
That'll never fucking happen. I know people love to spam "follow your dreams", but if this is your dream, give that shit up. No one fucking cares about decades old movies they can torrent for nothing and enjoy at home.

The main reason theaters exist is because that's where movies are released first. Few people would go to a theater to watch a movie that they don't HAVE to go to the theater to watch.

So in conclusion, what the fuck are you talking about, and forget that shit.
>>
>>68681171
>Do I have to pay for the rights of the movie to show them on the big screen?
Yes
>No licensing problems?

It's a nightmare and extremely expensive.

Again, your best bet is a library which can get a limited public license to show blu-ray movies in public as long as they don't charge people.
>>
>>68681397
I go to the theater to watch movies on a big screen.
>>
>>68681397
Midnight screenings of old films regularly sell out old cinemas across the country, but those are actual films and the cinemas are well established.

check under upcoming
http://www.kentuckytheater.com/
>>
>>68680756
Ignore everyone else ITT.

What you have to do is just do it. Just do it dude. Do your dream.

Rent out a space, set up the equipment, advertise then watch your endeavor bloom.
>>
OP here

This shit is difficult as fuck.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

I dream about watching my favorite movies on the big screen, that's why I came up with the whole idea.

I think the big screen is still an experience that's much more immersing and there are old movies that are still worth it specially now that we have 4k restorations.
>>
>>68681542
Normies never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, I sincerely, SINCERELY doubt there are any money to be made on this ever dwindling market.
>>
>>68681717
Well you'd be fucking wrong and a dumbass because it does make money or the cinemas wouldn't do it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.