[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I hate godzilla '98, they focused more on the humans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
>I hate godzilla '98, they focused more on the humans instead of godzilla!
>I love godzilla 2014, with its story focused entirely on humans, with godzilla appearing for about 10 seconds!

Explain this.
>>
Pretty sure the sentiment with Godzilla 98 is more like "I hate it because they made Godzilla into a T-Rex (with Raptor babies!) to cash in on Jurassic Park hype, all the characters are barely even one dimensional and the writing is dumb to the point of being condescending."

2014 Godzilla could have worked as a human-focused story if the main character wasn't a boring generic guy being played by a boring generic actor. The movie has some other issues, but that's the main flaw.
>>
>>68674696

>I love godzilla 2014, with its story focused entirely on humans
Said no one ever
>>
>>68675661

Actually, one of my friends said Godzilla 2014 was his favorite movie of that year, and he sees a lot of movies, not just the blockbusters. The sudden reveal of the atomic charge up really did it for him.
>>
>>68675740
But no one said they liked it because it was human focused
>>
>>68674696
In '98 the humans were fairly entertaining, there were lots of jokes and amusing jabs (Mayor Ebert), and Zilla was onscreen a lot. 2014 had shit for character development, a complete lack of motive, no humor, and no Godzilla.

1998 > 2014
>>
>>68675798
>>68675661
I hear that shit all the time regarding Godzilla 2014. It's like people think because the movie acts serious it must be well made.
>>
I actually enjoyed the 98 Godzilla, it was a decent movie for what it was.

The 2014 Godzilla was also nice, but everything seemed too coincidental, with the main guy being some special navy guy who was the son of the guy who worked at the atomic place and the navy guy and his wife being always at the place where Godzilla appears.
>>
I think Godzilla '98 is ok, but the humour is simply awful and after an excellent introduction the monster gets really boring.

Godzilla '14 is a classic 50s monster movie in structure, which is a a huge plus for me personally because I like those old ones. The visual effects and direction of the creatures is phenomenal, an amazing cinema experience. Its problem with Godzilla is the opposite of '98, the monster gets a very underplayed introduction which slowly builds through the movie and only pays off near the end. Still frustrating but more satisfying.

I think '14 will sit better as part of a franchise, Edwards and co have done the 50s formula with not much monster, next they can homage the craziness of 60s Godzilla.
>>
I haven't seen the 2014 version, but 98 is a shit movie on its own merits, regardless of any comparison.
>>
>>68676376
I think '14 was really held back by the godawful writing and dull story of the people. Had they actually had more of a story than "typical military man travels the world so we can add more set locations" it would have been a much better film. Not to mention the fact that it cut away right before Godzilla fought in every scene except the final one.

I liked MUTO though, good to see an original idea that works.
>>
File: Godzilla time comparison.png (205 KB, 1271x1060) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla time comparison.png
205 KB, 1271x1060
>tfw people dont even realize 2014 Godzilla had more on screen time than 1954 Gojira
>>
Zilla Jr. was the greatest Godzilla, prove me wrong.
>>
>>68677529
This. If they're gonna focus on the characters the writing needs to be passable, but was almost nonexistent. I can't despise everyone involved Godzilla 2014 enough for making such a piece of shit.
>>
>>68674696
same thing with bayformers
i hate this shit about making a movie and plugging in 'humanity' or looking at it from the humans perspective.

the fuck hollywood
it's a godzilla movie. it's a tf movie (fuck bay)
i didn't come to see a romance story or a story about a guy trying to connect with his father

i hated the 98 movie
and the 2014. esp when the camera pans out from godzilla
>>
>>68677671
Gojira is also only 90 minutes long, and has a coherent human drama, unlike the 2+ hour slog through incompetence that is the 2014 film.
>>
>>68674696
>size does matter
lol i need to watch this its the first movie i saw in the cinema when i was five and i got too scared and left 5 min in and i never watched it again
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.