[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the greatest space sci-fi television show of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: p184456_b_v8_ab[1].jpg (333 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p184456_b_v8_ab[1].jpg
333 KB, 960x1440
Whats the greatest space sci-fi television show of all time? Also why was the early 2000s such a golden age for this genre?

Pic related.
>>
File: sg1tea10.jpg (77 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
sg1tea10.jpg
77 KB, 640x576
>>68673134
>>
File: firefly[1].jpg (156 KB, 900x440) Image search: [Google]
firefly[1].jpg
156 KB, 900x440
>>68673134
obligatory mention
>>
Red Dwarf 2bh
>>
>>68673264
from the few scenes i saw ... is that like Blackadder in space?
>>
>>68673355
Pretty much, although it's more serious
>>
>>68673355
yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0hwZwNQZc
>>
>>68673208

reddit trash
>>
>>68673208
firefly was boring glad it never got off the ground.
>>
>>68673851
Having rewatched it recently, there are quite a few unintentionally cringe moments because of Whedon's dialogue, but otherwise its a solid series considering the clearly low budget.
>>
>>68673199

How do the spin offs compare to SG1?
>>
>>68673134
>Also why was the early 2000s such a golden age for this genre?

Because now you absolutely must spend a shit-ton of money on CGI for it to look good which no studio will pay out for.

Farscape is good because of the writing and creativeness that comes from a low budget with experienced people, the entertainment industry has zero soul now so we won't see anything like it again.
>>
File: latest[6].jpg (45 KB, 825x490) Image search: [Google]
latest[6].jpg
45 KB, 825x490
How could it be anything else?
>>
>>68673134
Watching this now, and to be honest, it has a better variety and tone then any other sci-fi i've seen.

it's like Lexx with BSG and Star Trek and SG-1 in a delicious everything burrito.

with the hottest aliens.
>>
>>68674110
That's the baseline for Sci-Fi. It's a staple but it's not the creme of the crop, it's the separator.
>>
File: bsg 1326308426554.jpg (125 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bsg 1326308426554.jpg
125 KB, 1280x720
Sometimes I pop the Bluray in just to watch S3E1-4.
>>
>>68674027
SG1 > SGA >>SGU
>>
File: BSG 4x22.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BSG 4x22.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
>>
>>68674097
>comes from a low budget

Farscape actually had a pretty big budget. The Rigel puppet cost like a million dollars alone or something.
>>
>>68674492
you're right I just found out on average it cost $1.5million per episode. What the fuck?
>>
>>68674198
I still haven't seen anything i would rather watch again, given the choice of 'one last sci-fi series to watch ever'.

FS starts out strong but quickly loses focus after Zhaan leaves. All the characters go from endearing to annoying. John and Aeryns romance is ridiculous and the fights they have are stupid and senseless. There's no solidarity in the crew. Everything is over dramatized. Each episode is: problem presented > fighting and arguing (90% of episode) > someone saves the day through dumbluck (last 5 minutes).

SG1 is near perfect, but leaves a bad taste in the mouth, as it drags on for two seasons too long, with a new tacked on plot (which while good) is resolved out of friggen no where prematurely. Nothing gets resolved between Sam and Oneill. Which just sours everything.

B5 could be GOAT, if it had a stronger following, financial backing and writers who told the story in a more logical order. The show felt unique in the first season but loses focus too quick and starts on the shadow war (it should have been left till the end). What they did with Sheridan was needlessly depressing. After the show ended, i felt like "Wait, so what does any of this have to do with the concept of the Babylon 5 stations?" The show just didn't seem to know what it wanted to be.

BSG was a great concept and executed well, looked good, interesting characters, but suffers the same pitfall as FS. Solidarity between all the characters disappears and it just becomes pointless drama that drags on, and you just stop caring the central plot, because having to endure edgelord after edgelord becomes just too much.

FF this show is near perfect, a really great and unique concept (scifi western) very creative with great characters, backdrop, ect. But...too short to really be compared properly to the others.

Doctor Who - just stop. seriously. just fucking stop. this show is basically the simpsons of the genre.

thats my take on it guys
>>
>>68673134
just watched the final episode. they ended farscape on a cliffhanger? what the fuck?
>>
>>68675797
Dark Matter ?
The expanse ?
though, only one seasons yet
>>
>>68674110
>>68673134
"Greatest" is a tough label.

Star Trek TNG is my favorite, but it wasn't as adventurous as other shows. Farscape and Firefly were far more adventurous than TNG ever was. But I love TNG in particular because it paints a very bright, optimistic future for humanity, which Picard himself embodies in every dramatic episode. Even the finale was perfect and managed to summarize the whole spirit of the show with the very last line.

Five card stud, nothing wild... and the sky's the limit.
>>
File: Farscape-crew.jpg (144 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Farscape-crew.jpg
144 KB, 1024x768
>>68673134
No question, Farscape is the frelling draddest, everything else in this thread is dren by comparison.

Best characters: Aeryn and Scorpy
>>
>>68677701
They were promised another season and the powers-that-be reneged at the last minute. They kept the cliffhanger as an act of rebellion

Anyway, there is a miniseries that wraps it up, rushed but satisfying. There is even a comic that continues the story beyond that, but don't expect much original flavor becuase only one of the writers is behind it.
>>
>>68680415
>Farscape
https://youtu.be/m4EMypUwrX8?t=71
>>
I like this thread
>>
File: aeryn.jpg (31 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
aeryn.jpg
31 KB, 768x576
>>68680662
Thank you for this, truly
>>
>>68673134
Star trek next generation
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.