[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the MCU so content to one-and-done its villains? Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: MCU Villains.jpg (1 MB, 2041x711) Image search: [Google]
MCU Villains.jpg
1 MB, 2041x711
Why is the MCU so content to one-and-done its villains? Major villains that remain consistent rivals to the hero in every other medium end up throwaways. Loki's refusal to die or get written off has only made the MCU better.

I understand that Iron Man will likely have no more stand alones, so getting rid of Mandarin had some justification, even if the entire twist w/ Mandarin was stupid and Ben Kingsley ruled. But Abomination and Red Skull are great, and have cross-hero appeal.

Why make villains so disposable?
>>
sense of closure, besides it's capeshit, no one ever really dies and stays dead expect uncle ben
>>
Because Sony and Fox have all the rights to the good Marvel villains.
>>
>>68669409
Abomination was supposed to be in AoU but they writed him off.
Red Skull is going to appear in IW maybe.
>>
>>68669409

I presume some of the surviving villains will come back for Infinity War, maybe as a mini-boss squad conjured by Thanos for Part 1 as the lazy fucker puts off doing anything himself.

Red Skull got sucked through a portal to Thanos-land probably, Hugo Weaving probably won't want to come back since he hates capeshit but they can just Red Skull make-up/CGI some other actor.

Abomination was confirmed to be in cryogenic suspension in a DVD extra.

There was another DVD extra where it turned out there was a real Mandarin heading the 10 rings terror group out there who kidnapped Kingsley for impersonating him.

Justin Hammer could be broken out of prison and get himself some power armor.

Loki will be back, but probably on the heroes side to please the fangirls.

Hell they could bring in some villains from the TV shows like Hive or Kilgrave (he gets a healing factor when he upgrades his powers in the comics).
>>
>>68669409
Red Skull might be alive somewere in Space.
>>
Because Marvelshit is made for plebs who go watch movies with their friends, talk during the movie and check their phone.

You can see how all the non-fighting, non-quipping scenes are expendable, they are there just to pad the lenght and allow the aforementioned to post on Twatter, Instagram or Facebook about where they are and whom with.

Nobody in this crowd can appreciate a good villain and that's why nobody bothers to make one. They get a famous actor to draw the plebs in and then they give him pitiful screentime just so the plebs can see Iron Man, Catpain Murrica or whatever CGI character punch a mook with no effort for the Xth time.
>>
>>68670506
>Justin Hammer could be broken out of prison and get himself some power armor.

justin hammer in the iron man movies isn't a villain, he's just a greedy douche

he wouldn't want to fucking hang with abomination and loki
>>
>>68671506

True, but he might have toughened up in prison, or more likely think he has.
>>
>>68670617

Thankfully DC will bring back Lex Luthor for us to all enjoy again.................
>>
>>68669409
The only reason the villains don't get killed in comics is to maintain the status quo and let writers recycle them over and over again.

Dropping that aspect is a good thing.
>>
>>68672242
He has a pasive relationship with an inmate according to the Mandarin One-Shot.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks Thanos looks retarded? His physical appearance and how ridiculously out of place he is relative to every single MCU movie besides Guardians and arguably Thor.
>>
>>68669409
>Implying Red Skull won't come back
>>
File: wigglytard.png (72 KB, 211x244) Image search: [Google]
wigglytard.png
72 KB, 211x244
>>68673493
it's almost like he's A FUCKING ALIEN.
>>
>>68673549
Which is gay.
>>
>>68673109
This and it's not like there aren't 40,000 villains to replace them.
>>
File: 1455386352493.jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455386352493.jpg
414 KB, 1920x1080
>>68673602
>he's not human
>waaa why doesn't he look human
>>
The issue is that the movies use a typical movie formula for their villains i.e. they get beaten. This is ok in itself.

The issue is that the franchise is structured like TV show with more episodes all the time, so it gives the impression of a "monster of the week" show which makes it less interesting. This movie/TV hybrid format needs to strike a balance between closure in individual movies and an overaching story.

They're trying, but the current overarching story is pretty pathetic. The magic purple alien will fight them eventually but all he's had is several seconds of credit scenes and a totally incidental role that could be removed for no loss.
>>
>>68669409
>Why is the MCU so content to one-and-done its villains?
Because they have plenty of them. DC only has Batman's rogues gallery and half of them are stupid and unfilmable.
>>
File: q.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
>>68674173
>implying King Tut isn't the greatest on-screen villain in history
>>
>>68674498
>King Tut
I thought his name was Dynamo?
>>
>>68669409
This is hardly an MCU specific issue, it's all capeshit really, and it's so film makers can give the audience a nice simple self contained story with closure
>>
>>68669409
Because there's a fuckload of them.
Sticking with one that wasn't part of the Thunderbolts would be pointless.
>>
I hope Red Skull comes back someday, but I really don't know what he should be like when he does. Cap 1 was very different in tone from the later Cap movies. More cartoonish, more light hearted. WS took a character from that WWII-era serial style and threw him into murky spy shenanigans, and it looks like CW is evolving that further by putting Cap in an even more morally compromised situation.

If they're going to ever bring Skull back, he's going to need to change with the times as well to still present a threat.
>>
>>68678582
>to still present a threat.
Red Skull is just as powerful as Cap is.
>>
>>68675967
Speaking about Thunderbolts, Zemo is arrested but not killed in the end of Civil War.
>>
>>68669409
It's more build up. They have an infinity war coming so untill then you arent really closing the archs.
>>
>>68669409
It's not only with villains. If you watch a sequel and totally forget the previously movie, it won't make any difference.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.