[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This movie has backward thinking.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Network.jpg (369 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Network.jpg
369 KB, 1920x1080
I watched this movie alone, and I still felt embarrassed by all the overacting. Especially Faye Dunaway. And by about the millionth pontificating monologue, I could actually feel the knuckles of the writer's hand grinding against my esophagus as he was shoving themes and points down my throat. I personally don't like movies with urgent morals. I was also annoyed by the shallowness of the characters--they all seemed to me as cardboard cutouts which the writer moved around to carry out his agenda. And I found that agenda to be much much less about the subject matter--media politics and the political state of America in the 70s---and more about nostalgia for the good ole' days when there were no humanoids and boob tubes. I felt Network was a backward thinking, cartoon of a movie that wanted to be about 20 different things and wound up being about nothing worth pondering.

Anyone else feel the same?
>>
worst written movie in history. 14 year olds who read the wiki for economics love it
>>
No. You're an absolute moron.
>>
>>68669294
Yeah man, I prefer my redpills in /pol/ thread form.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxZNcWheoI
>>
Network is a great film.
>>
>in the 1970's the idea of corporate-run, ratings-driven, for-profit news was considered ridiculous enough to make a comedy about it

Wewest of lads
>>
>>68669294
This is an exceptional bait

A bait seemingly constructed specifically for me

I'll bite, but really just to say that I disagree and that you should try watching it again in a few years.

If you do watch it again, one thing to keep in mind is that the presentation of the film is theatrical in nature. It is constructed to underline the element of spectacle and how it has become the point of emphasis in media, how the news has become entertainment.
>>
It's not perfect, but it speaks truth to power.

>... You think you have merely stopped a business deal -- that is not the case! The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back. It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity, it is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations! There are no peoples! There are no Russians. There are no Arabs! There are no third worlds! There is no West! There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multi-variate, multi-national dominion of dollars! petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars!, Reichmarks, rubles, rin, pounds and shekels! It is the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet! That is the natural order of things today! That is the atomic, subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And you have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and you will atone! Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale?

>You get up on your little twenty- one inch screen, and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM and ITT and A T and T and Dupont, Dow, Union Carbide and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. ... We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably deter- mined by the immutable by-laws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale! It has been since man crawled out of the slime, and our children, Mr. Beale, will live to see that perfect world in which there is no war and famine, oppression and brutality -- one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock, all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.
>>
>>68669755
People say this movie is satire, but I don't think the film as a whole is a satire.

A satire would be something like Animal Farm, where talking animals overtaking a farm is always ironic. Greedy business people selling each other out and resorting to murder is not ironic; it's literal.

Regardless on whether one classifies Network as a satire or not, I've also never taken satire to mean "lacking long silences and subtlety." There's satire in Apocalypse Now, and there's plenty of subtlety in that. And people aren't constantly yelling monologues at me . . .
>>
>>68669294
I'm with you OP, its pretty self congratulatory.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.