[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doctor Strange Writer Says Ancient One Was Changed To Avoid Upsetting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 15
>The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place.
>He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.’
>If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet… if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f**k you’re talking about.”

- http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-ancient-one-whitewash-china/
>>
File: 1453282300497.jpg (113 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
1453282300497.jpg
113 KB, 816x816
>>68666777
>666
>777
>>
>>68666777
Can they articulate why The Ancient One is racist without using 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME??'
>>
File: 1458971028268.jpg (139 KB, 680x707) Image search: [Google]
1458971028268.jpg
139 KB, 680x707
>>68666849
>>
>>68666849
Well, here`s the writer of the movie talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=17m54s
>>
>>68666777
Idiots, with a chinese character they already have enough pandering to make it make money in China.
>>
>>68666940
17 mins and 54 seconds.
>>
>>68666777
>if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f**k you’re talking about.”
Gee, it's almost as if the same applies to white washing.
Nice trips btw
>>
File: 1459127443159.gif (966 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1459127443159.gif
966 KB, 500x579
>>68666849
>He originates from Tibet,

It's not about race, but polotics.

You just proved you have no idea YOU'RE JUST AN IDIOT

probably white male too, if we're gonna play the odds.
>>
CHINA STRONK
>>
>>68666777
So in other words, they themselves are bring racist by avoiding acknowledging the existence of Tibetan people in an attempt to not piss off our über-racist Chinese economic overlords, and are calling out anyone who calls them out as being racist instead.

Nice to see Marvel taking the high road as usual.
>>
>>68666777
So why not just change the origin of the character to some place in China and have them portrayed by a Chinese actor or actress? Makes as much sense as casting Tilda Swinton
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (172 KB, 917x798) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
172 KB, 917x798
How does this make you feel
>>
>>68666991
you know they're talking about appeasing chinese government commissar officials, not common decency.
>>
>>68667084
198 days until November 8th.
>>
The change was basically made for three reasons:

>They didn't want to piss off China
>They felt the Ancient One was a cliché/stereotype of "little old magic Asian Man on a mountain who teaches a white hero a lesson" and wanted to get away from that
>They felt like no matter what they did someone was probably going to get upset, so they should just go with an actor they like who would give a good performance
>>
>>68667084
that she's yet another woman that doesn't understand anything
>>
>>68666991
In this character? It's really irrelevant what race because it's just a mentor and honesty it doesnt matter.
Again the japanese don't even care about ghost in the shell being cast as a white person. Also the same outrage group also thought it was racist to cast a white. Guy for danny rand , a white character.
This is just people wanting to be upset
>>
>>68667047
>tries to use mental gymnastic to shit post.
>hey lets piss off a huge demographic that brings in a shit ton of money.
Found the dcuck
>>
Okay, hold on, let me see if I got this:

The new Marvel movie has a Tibetan monk in it as the lead's NotJedi Master. But they cast this monk as a white woman because, if they cast a Tibetan, it wouldn't be shown in China because it's illegal to admit Tibet exists under the Chinese regime. And Disney needs China to make money.

And now the Disney-Marvel machine is trying to spin their LITERALLY communist state-sponsored racism as being anti-racist on the logic of the original monk character being a stereotype?

If this is accurate, then this is the first racist "scandal" in the contemporary movie industry to be actually legitimate.
>>
>>68667084
Yeah, I'm done with Capeshit
>>
>>68666777
Can't say it's surprising. China is way too big a market for Hollywood to ignore these days.

Also, nice trips.
>>
>>68667050
Because then you are changing a Tibetan to a Chinese person which is racist as fuck and people would go mental
>>
>>68666777
>you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t
So they believe that literally every single Chinese person thinks Tibet is China and give so much importance to this subject that they will boycott the movie.
Why not be frank and say that the cuck government will effectively ban the movie and that this is unacceptable because they don't want to lose all the Chinese shekels? Why not simply not specify where the character originates from?

Also the Chinese don't pretend that Tibetans as a people don't exist in the first place, what the fuck.

>>68667187
>They felt the Ancient One was a cliché/stereotype of "little old magic Asian Man on a mountain who teaches a white hero a lesson" and wanted to get away from that
I like how the cliché of "white American who spends his entire life with the Asians retaining his American-ness because burgers are in your blood" will remain intact though.
>>
>>68666777
In their effort to be "not racist" by bowing to SJW boogiemen/China they have in fact went full circle and done a legitimately racist thing.

Amazing. Highlights the fact that Social Justice is, at its core, far more racist and prejudiced than anything they're trying to "fight".
>>
>>68667452
>So they believe that literally every single Chinese person thinks Tibet is China and give so much importance to this subject that they will boycott the movie.
I can't tell if you're legit retarded or don't understand that China's government has complete control of what media is released in the country and it is illegal to represent Tibet as a real place in Chinese Media.
>>
>>68667452
>so they believe that literally every single Chinese person thinks Tibet is China and give so much importance to this subject that they will boycott the movie.

The chinese government would itself ban the movie you imbecile. The movie itself would be alienated from (not 'by') potential viewers.
>>
Sooooooooooooooo

How does 'Ancient One changed to avoid upsetting China' mean turning the character white of all the available races?
>>
>>68666991
unlike others, white people welcome the cucking of their own race
>>
>>68666777
He was making the point that people would have been upset either way. If you hire a Chinese actor to play a Tibetan, people would flip. If you hire a Tibetan actor and make him a Fu Manchu, people would flip. Whether it be upsetting SJWs, upsetting China, or upsetting people genuinely concerned over Tibetan freedom, someone was going to be upset.
>>
LOL he actually said sjw in interview

I bet Kevin Feige is chewing his ass out
>>68667461
Learn to read retard

"sjw boogiemen/China" is probably the dumbest shit Ive read on 4chan this entire month.
>>
>>68667014
>first sentence literally has the word racist in it
>>
>>68667507
I know that, and I'm not saying that this isn't the case. My post was about the Chinese PEOPLE getting butthurt over Tibet.
Of course, maybe I'm just reading this wrong and when they talk about "alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t" they actually just mean the government because technically China is a democracy so one billion people is a synonym for one billion voters which is a synonym for government.

>>68667507
>>68667545
Illiterates.
>Why not be frank and say that the cuck government will effectively ban the movie and that this is unacceptable because they don't want to lose all the Chinese shekels?
>>
He's lying by the way

China accepts Tibetan blockbusters and actors all the time.
>>
>>68667084
>we knew they'd be angry either way
>proceeds to get angry

Yep
>>
>make entirely new Slavic and African countries so that can have free reign in plot (Sokovia and Wakanda)
>but when Asians are involved, cant do that, instead jump through all sorts of hoops and excuses to not cast Asians in empowered roles

CAST A CHINESE GUY AS A TIBETAN ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED BRO

*meanwhile casts Black American as African*
>>
>>68667461
Social justice isn't the cause espoused by SJW by the way. Their cause is whining about things that have something to do with people.
>>
>>68667452
>I like how the cliché of "white American who spends his entire life with the Asians retaining his American-ness because burgers are in your blood"
What? Name 5 movies where this occurs.
>>
>>68667084
>The SJW is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a SJW and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

FUCKING LMAO
>>
>>68666777
Why would he even mention he's Tibetan? He's 600 years old, watched entire dynasties rise and fall and not interfered; likely becuase he objectively has more important things on his mind, like stopping outer horrors invading this dimension.
>>
Movie is still going to make bank, the three fags whining on tumblr will continue to wine

Sunrise, sunset
>>
>>68667192
>woman
>>
>>68667050
Because then you have the social justice crowd screaching about how the chinese should be cast for it. Or how dr strange is white washed.
>>68667084
I like how she hates sjw as a buzzword but buzzwords with manchild proving his point. Im hyped. She wants to be outraged for the sake of outrage.
>>68667378
Lets spin this around. Lets see any money try to make money without china.
>>68667950
This
>>
>>68667817
Wow, when did Asians become such little bitches about this sort of stuff? I though complaining about representation was exclusive to feminists and blacks.
>>
>>68667901
>He's 600 years old, watched entire dynasties rise and fall and not interfered; likely becuase he objectively has more important things on his mind, like stopping outer horrors invading this dimension.

Yeah, that's sort of the basic operating procedure for Sorcerer Supremes. Who cares if a government rises and falls when Shuma-Gorath is threatening to devour your entire reality?
>>
>>68667880
Comics. Pretty much every single American (especially Marvel) comic character whose backstory involves long term or deep contact and study with Asians in a setting alien to Anglosphere countries, roughly from the '30 somethings up until today, are like this.
>>
>>68667084
Oh wow did he really just...ugh
>>
>>68667452
>I like how the cliché of "white American who spends his entire life with the Asians retaining his American-ness because burgers are in your blood" will remain intact though.

It's questionable if it will. He clearly travels to Nepal in the trailer, but so far the Ancient One and her followers seem to be foreigners just hiding out in that region as opposed to locals. The only confirmed Asian character in the cast is Wong, and he's not even in the trailer.
>>
>>68667990
It's Asian Americans and white people. Actual asians don't give a fuck.

The japs that made Ghost in the Shell are happy about ScarJo.
>>
>>68668027
These stories usually consists of them spending like 3 years in a monastery or some bullshit. Why would a 30 year old lose his Americanness after spending just 1/10 of his life outside of America?
>>
>>68668027
Okay but you haven't named one. Iron fist is one.
But again you didnt name one still.
>>
>>68668096
This.
Anyone butthurt can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>68666777
idiots desu
>>
>>68668096
>The japs that made Ghost in the Shell are happy about ScarJo.
Though that's just a bad example because Japanese men just don't like the way Asian women look like, see the Mirror's Edge incident.
>>
>>68668253
That sounds pretty racist, gonna need you to apologize
>>
They could have cast an Asian and still sidestepped the Tibet issue altogether. They don't have to mention it.
>>
>>68666777
I could understand the Mandarin, since I can see why people would see him as an offensive stereotype, but this is ridiculous.
Movies can't even mention Tibet anymore?
>>
>>68668168
I don't retain the names of every dude in spandex, sorry. But The Shadow and Batman are a couple others. Also see the pulp fiction of those years.
Though to be fair to these series, let's expand it a bit and instead of retaining American-ness, let's just say that they retain their absolute ignorance of Eastern culture and are remarkably lightly influenced by the infamous "asian wisdom".

>>68668134
>character whose backstory involves long term or deep contact and study with Asians in a setting alien to Anglosphere countries
>long term or deep contact and study
Illiterates get out.
>>
>>68668406
>Movies can't even mention Tibet anymore?

Not if you want it to come out in China you don't.
>>
File: Seven_Years_in_Tibet_cover.jpg (15 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
Seven_Years_in_Tibet_cover.jpg
15 KB, 264x400
>>68668406
I got you bro.
>>
>>68668096
Who the fuck cares what they think. Is their opinion above yours, mine or the fanbases? No.
>>
>>68667880

Not that guy but, off the top of my head

The Last Samurai
47 Ronin
GI Joe
Batman Begins
Iron Fist
>>
>>68668375
Yeah but now we have ~ Swinton as a Shaolin monk, which is pretty cool.
>>
FUCKING CHINA
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT
>>
>>68668484
Holy shit it's Pagan Min.
>>
File: 1430046227441.jpg (177 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
1430046227441.jpg
177 KB, 800x820
>>68668406

no such place
>>
>>68668498
Their opinion on "whitewashing" matters more than the white people bitching about it yes.
>>
>>68668406
they want chinamen bucks so they're gonna pander to them hard in the most retarded, ignorant Westerner way.
>>
>>68668096
Same thing happened with that museum that was letting people try on kimonos. Asian Americans (most weren't even Japanese Americans) and whites got upset. Actual Japanese people were not only okay with it, but thought it was a good thing. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Japanese people had helped organize it, and others counter-protested.
>>
>>68668465
>Illiterates get out.
>>I like how the cliché of "white American who spends his entire life with the Asians retaining his American-ness because burgers are in your blood"
Maybe don't use terms like "entire life" to describe a 2 year sabbatical? Even spending most of your adult life in an Asian country isn't going to scrub you of your native cultural identification. That depends entirely on where you grew up.
>>
>>68668465
>says especially marvel
>names batman and shadow which are not marvel.
Nigger you are objectively retarded. You don't really have an argument. Also usually when they go to asian places its some unknown part so they can fill the blanks. So it's just you bitching to bitch.
>>
>>68668406
You're witnessing the end of Hollywood producing products for Western Consumption. It's all about pandering to China now.
>>
File: Cure cancer Wakanda.jpg (429 KB, 1200x1330) Image search: [Google]
Cure cancer Wakanda.jpg
429 KB, 1200x1330
>>68667817
>>make entirely new Slavic and African countries so that can have free reign in plot (Sokovia and Wakanda)
Those fictional countries are from the comics. Though they renamed Transia into Sokovia for some reason.
Reminder that Wakandans are assholes.
>>
>>68668375
Yeah lets cast a jap for that role. Huehue.
>>68668564
Any major movie panders to the chinese you idiot.
>>
>>68668406
If you're aiming to play your movie in China, no, your movie cannot mention Tibet.

As far as the Mandarin goes, he's half-Chinese, half-British in the comic. Kingsley, meanwhile, is half-Indian.
>>
>>68668552
Not in the slightest. They get a cut of the profits and a boost in their products popularity either way, so w/e 'opinions' they have are biased and irrelevant. Heck, If painting an ape pink and putting it in a tutu and casting it as the major would bring in revenue then they'd happily endorse it.
>>
File: 1334615153631.jpg (20 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
1334615153631.jpg
20 KB, 400x299
>>68668616
>yfw their ancestors spent two hundred years fighting against separate but equal and now their dipshit descendants are actually fighting FOR separate but equal using the same argument
>>
>>68668636
>assholes
they're right tho
>>
>>68668616
I was actually there for this. Yes it was americans and non japs upset. We had older japanese people seriously confused by the protest. Most were thinking it was racist people trying to stop them from sharing their culture.
>>
>>68666777
>its racist to say an extremely spiritually wise person is asian

right.... very insulting....... definitely not because China is racist against Tibetans and wishes they would fuck off and die lmao, of course not only whites can be racist........... so lets just make the character white.......
>>
>>68668624
>you don't know the names of my guys in spandex so you have no argument!
Just because I said "especially Marvel" doesn't mean that I HAVE to name Marvel characters.

>>68668620
I'm talking about characters who fit my description, more or less. I don't give a shit about those who've taken "a 2 year sabbatical". Unless they happen to turn into weebs during those "2 years", like Wolverine did.

Capeshit drones, not even once.
>>
>>68668807
How? How the hell can the cure to cancer be used as a weapon?
And don't say Deadpool.
>>
>>68668841
>sharing their culture.
that's called "appropriation" now
>>
>>68667378

exactly this. But Marvel needs china's dick in their ass, they can't go without it.
>>
>>68668863
they weren't talking about the cure for cancer, they were talking about their other shit that they created
cancer was just there so they could explain why america doesn't care about their people
>>
>>68668863

Depends on how the cure works, I imagine. What if it's nanites that attack cancer cells when injected into your bloodstream? That could easily be weaponized if it was reverse engineered.
>>
>>68668916
Actually, in this context they're talking about the Belgians.
>>
>>68666777
>if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f**k you’re talking about.”

I agree. Really it's fantastic casting like when they cast Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin.
>>
>>68668861
>I'm talking about characters who fit my description, more or less. I don't give a shit about those who've taken "a 2 year sabbatical". Unless they happen to turn into weebs during those "2 years", like Wolverine did.
There aren't many characters who fit your description. Dr. Strange didn't spend his formative years in Asia. So let me ask again, why would someone raised in America lose their Americanness after spending just a couple yeas in Tibet?
>>
>>68668861
>>68668861
>>>68668624 (You)
>Just because I said "especially Marvel" doesn't mean that I HAVE to name Marvel characters.
Actually yes it does. Thats exactly what you have to do othersise you're talkong out of your ass. If you use the word especially it's indicating it's a big problem there so you should be able to name. Characters.
>>68668620
>I'm talking about characters who fit my description, more or less.
So you're just reaching and strawmanning to make a weak point seem better? This is not mincing words. This is directly from you
>>
>>68668994
and the americans don't sell cigarettes?
>>
>>68668886
Apparently. The kids needed to be throat punched because they were talking over the elders and speaking for them.
>>
>>68667084
Is this a real woman or a guy who pretending to be a woman-you know,a tranny?
>>
>>68668997
>take quote out of context
>miss point completely
>>
I didn't know Cargill was the writer on this one. He's a pretty cool guy and I'm glad he told it like it is.
>>
>>68669068
It says "She/her" in her profile, shitlord
>>
>>68668096
>>68668096
I didn't know Shirow or Oshii or the SAC team making comments about the casting. Got any links?
In any case though, no matter what anyone from whatever part of the world feels, taking a character that has a Japanese name and that is supposed to be Japanese and making her into a westerner is still retarded. The ideal move for the GiTS adaptation would be to ditch Japan as a setting entirely and set it in merika or Europe. Go into uncharted territory and actually be creative instead of trying to blend 2 things that have nothing to do with each other.

As for "but japan likes it", it's not an argument any more than "asian americans don't like it" like in the incident >>68668616 and >>68668841 have mentioned. The average audience from any part of the world gives literally 0 shits about this subject, as well 99,9% of things that are discussed on 4chan media boards be it /tv/, /a/, /lit/ etc.
>>
>>68669038
So you're saying that we should ban cigarettes? That's a pretty fascist thing to do.
That would only create even more crime like during Prohibition, or right now with the War on Drugs.
>>
Time to stay off Facebook for a while, oh are my faggot friends going to be bitching about this for days on end.
>>
>>68668253
What incident? I don't keep up with video game shit.
>>
>>68669177
this is exactly what they're talking about
>>
>>68669215
Yeah, and the author is expecting us to agree with them in their criticism of the west, even though what they're saying is fucking stupid.
>>
>>68666777
>>68667722
>>68667900
>>68668533
>>68668633
>>68669011
Nice
>>
>>68668863
Depends how their cure works.
Lets say it targets tumor cells with complete accuracy, there's the potential for someone like Norman Osborn to alter it so it targets other cells.
>>
>>68669189
The MC of Mirror's Edge looks too much like a typical Asian chick so the Jibs hated her, all the advertising material released in Japan Photoshopped her to look more animu.

The Japanese don't mind the ScarJo thign not because they're all calm and rational about it, but because they worship white women.
>>
>>68668902
Neither can your mum go without my dick in her ass.
>>
>>68669554
rude
>>
This movie(Doctor Strange) and Ghost in the Shell have been very interesting to follow. Its really fascinating how the inner workings of these types of productions happen.

Doctor Strange with its crew knowing they'd piss people off either way decided to go with the least offensive route. Which in my opinion it was a great decision. I mean, you have an all star cast for Doctor Strange now when it comes to villains and the heroes.

Ghost in the Shell. Well, that's more having to do with getting a movie greenlit. New properties like that usually need celebrity star power to take them off the ground, either in a directing standpoint or in the actor side. Scarlett was the best choice they could have made given the circumstances. Its like 47 Ronin, where Keanu wasn't the star but they had to push him in the advertisement to sell the movie with a bunch of unknown Asian actors. Its really a shame though we don't have high profile asian actresses anymore but oh well. Hopefully they can make the property right, and make it enjoyable.
>>
im pretty sure the chinese just deny the sovereignty of tibet, they don't doubt that it exists and has a distinct culture.

whats the problem with a guy being from there?
>>
>>68669131
>insisting on pronouns mean they are that sex

Did i trigger you tranny?
>>
>>68667972
>Lets see any money try to make money without china.
what did anon mean by this?
>>
>>68666921
what is this guy's face from? I've been seeing it all over /tv/ for weeks.
>>
>>68669669
>Its like 47 Ronin, where Keanu wasn't the star but they had to push him in the advertisement to sell the movie with a bunch of unknown Asian actors.
But Scarjo is the star this time around and she will still be playing the central character even if they somehow opt to go with Batou or Togusa as the protagonist (because GiTS revolves around Motoko so much).
>>
>>68669887
>what did anon mean by this?
What did anon mean by this
>>
>>68669978
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
>>
>>68669978
Yeah i dont know who he is either.
>>
File: 1457029371599.png (343 KB, 748x710) Image search: [Google]
1457029371599.png
343 KB, 748x710
>>68666777
haha WEEBS AND SJWS BTFO
T
F
O
also, >tfw 666 777 double trips in one post
>>
>>68667714
I almost don't believe we need to spell this out - you don't piss off the Chinese government by saying you had to change things to keep it happy. It embarrasses them by highlighting that you made a change that you think only their government officials would care about. They can ban something at the drop of a hat for any BS reason. Annoy them and they'll do it for shits and giggles.
>>
>>68669978
>>68670475
ITT: PRIVILEGED FUCKING WHITE MALES!!
>>
>>68667578
>all the available races
there are literally three

also why not white?
>>
>>68668702
>Any major movie panders to the chinese you idiot.

This. And Marvel's been doing that for awhile now. Iron Man 3 even had an exclusive version for China, where Tony goes there halfway through the movie.
>>
>>68667219
>japanese don't even care about ghost in the shell being cast as a white person

The creator is cool with the casting.
>>
>Make him Asian
>Fucking racist stereotype
>Make him Tibetan
>Banned in China & lose millions of dollars

Can't win
>>
>>68668507
>The Last Samurai
The point of the story is that the western way is what is wrong.
>47 Ronin
Never watched it, looked like shit.
>GI Joe
Snake eyes never kept his american ways, if anything he refused to show what he looked like under the mask because one should not be judged by the color of thier skin.
>Batman Begins
Ill give you this, the nolan trilogy is one big "Bush was right all along" alogory.
>Iron Fist
Not a movie, but then again its also a bad example, its more about a boy who is forced in to a culture as a outsider and become a better person because of it.
>>
>>68667687
the first sentance was

>The thing about the Ancient One is it is Marvel’s Kobayashi Maru.

the second was

>There is no other character in Marvel history that is such a cultural landmine, that is absolutely unwinnable.

but yeah, you're right, the racism thing was just smaller part in the bigger problem of china's hatred of Tibet. The depiction of stereotypical asian guy is something Tarantino might do.
>>
>>68670042

That's what I meant by it, like in that scenario Keanu wasn't the main focus but they made him that way to sell the movie. It was after the fact that the movie was made, but in the case of GitS obviously you already have Scarlett in that main role so it will flow much better than if say Major was an Asian woman and Scarlett was somebody else. I was just drawing parallels in both scenarios concerning asian casting and how movies with asians are marketed.

Its funny, because with all the different asian cultures they're really a hard group to please. Since there is a lot of clashes between their cultures.
>>
File: 1460622202469.jpg (279 KB, 650x909) Image search: [Google]
1460622202469.jpg
279 KB, 650x909
>people saying China could take over the world
>they can't even get back Taiwan and Tibet
>>
make the character purely chinese then and not tibetan if you want those chinese bucks
>>
>>68671417
The last Samurai was an interesting story, because no one really knows who he was, but by all accounts he's described as a stranger. If anything it's about the Easternfication.

47 ronin and Tai Chi would be the example of Keeanu's white washing/ westernfication in movies.
>>
>>68667714
China banned Deadpool because of the "violence".

If you want to break that $1000,000,000 mark you need to be sure China doesn't have an excuse to shit-list your movie
>>
>>68671530
The People's Republic of China (PRC) claims that Tibet is an integral part of China. The Tibetan government-in-exile maintains that Tibet is an independent state under unlawful occupation.

The ROC, which took control of Taiwan (including Penghu and other nearby islands) in 1945.
>>
File: 51Lvas6NiVL._SX385_.jpg (31 KB, 385x448) Image search: [Google]
51Lvas6NiVL._SX385_.jpg
31 KB, 385x448
>>68669381
>The MC of Mirror's Edge looks too much like a typical Asian chick so the Jibs hated her, all the advertising material released in Japan Photoshopped her to look more animu.

ITT made up shit that's debunked with a quick google search
>>
> Scarlett was the best choice they could have made given the circumstances.

GotS is/will be a Disney flick. Scarjew is already getting several paychecks from Disney, why shouldn't she accept one more? Who care if we get another soulless performance at least he can buy herself a new house or a car or go to Ibiza with the money.
>>
>>68666777
I think this is the biggest example of how safe and stale Marvel Studios is with their film making.
They're not willing to take risks.
Except with Guardians, but that was all based Gunn holding his ground and doing something he was actually passionate about
>>
>>68672772
Why would they make waves and potentially hurt their popcorn flick over such an easily sidestepped issue? What film maker in the right mind would?
You people have no perspective.
>>
>>68667084
>biracial
>>
>>68667452

>Also the Chinese don't pretend that Tibetans as a people don't exist in the first place, what the fuck.

You're fucking retarded and don't know shit about shit, Tibetan is one of the recognized races in China.
>>
>>68667990

White people set the precedence of being a bunch of whiny bitches to get their way. Asians are just taking a page from their playbook.
>>
>>68673611
The Chinese don't recognize them as a race independent of China. Like the Canadians don't recognize the Quebecois as non-Canadian.
>>
>>68667084
Based Derrickson

People are fed up with their constant whinging.
>>
>>68671530

Why the fuck would they? The Chinese don't care much for empire and they already have Tibet, and Taiwan is an American client state. So your argument is retarded.
>>
>>68666821
Thank you for pointing out the only thing that mattered in this whole thread.
>>
>>68669978
The face is from some Bernie Sanders loving faggot who has no idea wtf he's talking about, his best political answers were "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?", /pol reamed him and 2 other faggots for being faggots.
>>
>>68673899
Umm your not Canadian eh? Because most do.
>>
>>68673611
>don't pretend that Tibetans as a people don't exist in the first place
Reading comprehension. This sentence means that China recognizes the existence of Tibetans as a people.
>>
>>68674748

Ah okay I get it now, sorry I have a hard time understanding retard English.
>>
>>68675025
The sentence isn't the problem, you are. Read a few books.
>>
>>68671315
could make him a japanese, all of asia hate the japanese and they are a pretty small demographic
it's a win win
>>
>>68669669
>New properties like that usually need celebrity star power to take them off the ground, either in a directing standpoint or in the actor side.
It's funny how this only applies to non-white actors.
>>
SJWs bitched forever about Ant-Man and it turned out to be a pretty fun movie despite their hoping it failed.

Here's to hoping Iron Fist and Doctor Strange are just as good, just to piss tumblr off.
>>
>>68667219
>Again the japanese don't even care about ghost in the shell being cast as a white person

That's because they don't give a shit about a gaijin film.
>>
>>68666940

Murricans:

Money > integrity.

Now you've admitted that marvel is trying to suck China's dick.
>>
>>68675666

The thing is that its hard. Indians, Asians they have their own show business over there with their own movies and big stars. Its hard for one of them to crossover to Hollywood mainly because they'll be alienated not to mention language barriers if the guy is lets say like Jackie Chan also the fact that they're already big stars over there and might not care to go overseas.

When it comes to blacks, hispanics or whites those are the three most inserted races in modern Hollywood. All other ethnicities have their own industries in their region. Its just a matter of marketability and the fact there just aren't actors like Lucy Liu or Jackie Chan anymore that can carry a movie. Right now you have about 10 stock asian actors and actresses getting roles in big budget movies and only then they're only there as supporting actors.

Now, if we want to talk opportunities and including roles so that new asian actors can take lead roles and have a chance to see how the public receives them then that's just a matter of Hollywood not willing to take that chance and not knowing how to do it. They must be under the impression that the general public doesn't care about Asians that much or that they're not marketable.
>>
>>68666947
Did you not read the first part, moron?
>>
>>68674713
The Quebecois are Canadians though, in fact, it's the province of Canada with the largest proportion of the population identifying as ethnically "Canadian".
>>
I though Disney was all about minority rights after all the trans bathroom controversy? Aren't Tibetans a disadvantaged minority?
>>
>>68677188
They're all fine about that shit as long as it doesn't affect their profit margin too much.

A heroic Tibetan character would lose them the Chinese market, which accounts for a considerable portion of the profits.
>>
>>68666777
Why is marvel so cucky?
>>
What does Asian-American SJW's think about the lack of racial diversity in their countries?
>>
>>68669978
Carl the Cuck
>>
>>68666777
Race casting is all about demographics and always has been.

I'm glad they are so upfront about it.

Kek, SJWs are going to be butthurt as fuck.
>>
File: Yes.gif (3 MB, 173x200) Image search: [Google]
Yes.gif
3 MB, 173x200
>>68667084
>We knew that the social justice warriors would be angry either way

BASED
>>
>>68667047
Disney owns starwars now so having the highground is beneficial and they know it.
>>
>>68676741
Latinos actually have a reasonable industry, mainly in Mexico. But they're not so anal about showing up in american movies. In fact it's rather the opposite, they love sucking murrica's dick, so any latino appearing in a hollywood movie will be applauded for it.
>>
>>68678090
>I'm glad they are so upfront about it.
yeah upfront after literally weeks of people bitching about it
>>
why are people so buttmad that tibet is part of china?

macedonia is part of greece

northern ireland is part of the UK

etc etc
>>
>>68678296
So? The guy just stated the obvious. You're average rational person understands how casting workings. It's a fucking business with the aim to make money, not a political platform for insane radical SJW's to preach their twisted dogma.
>>
>>68676379
They're cucks and eclipsed by China. No shit nobody gives a fuck what they think. Japan has nowhere near the economic clout it used to and it only has 120 mill compared to China's 1.3 billion.
>>
>>68678243
>In fact it's rather the opposite, they love sucking murrica's dick, so any latino appearing in a hollywood movie will be applauded for it.
nah, you're overblowing it, it's so common we don't give a shit
t. Mexican
>>
>>68675984
what was wrong with ant man?
>>
>>68678611
Mexicans LOVE to suck america's dick, and any actor appearing in an american film is like
>zOMFG He's been in american movies he's a big hollywood star
t. another Mexican.
>>
>>68668616
I member that, there was even a pick of Japanese women looking at the American-Asian Taiwanese girl like she has the downs.

kek
>>
>>68666777
>so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place
Seriouslt? Are chinese so fucked up they don't want to aknowledge things exist?
I'm sorry, but my sides are obliterated right now
>>
>>68675151

My reading comprehension is fine it's your grammar that needs work.
>>
>>68678733
Killed off Janet in a flashback when she was one of the original Avengers. Had Hank Pym instead, that horrible wife beating bastard. Hope was more qualified and experienced than Scott, but wasn't allowed to suit up because sexism. Ex wife is totally the bad guy for not wanting her criminal ex-husband to see their kid until he turns his life around.

I love Janet and Hope and wasn't upset about the movie. I thought the relationships between the fathers and their daughters was handled well and realistically. And Hank's aggressive personality as a side effect of the particles was addressed but never went into domestic abuse.

They also try to say the friend was a racist stereotype, despite him being one of the best characters in the movie.
>>
>>68667084
based
>>
>>68678919
Luckily for you, you don't live in China and are capable of googling about China's super strict "if the government says it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist and if you say it exists then you won't exist" censorship.
>>
>>68667084
And yet this idiot is using as avatar batgirl from her more feminine anti-women era (DCYou, 1 year ago)
>>
>>68671127
Its a case of marvel is bad when they do it syndrome
>>68671202
Even citizens don't care which are the ones if anyone should feel upset it would be them.
>>68675649
>making a japanese in positive light in china.
That will go over reallll well
>>
File: dorat.jpg (29 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
dorat.jpg
29 KB, 720x480
>>68666940
>mfw Korey, Martin, and Cargil all together again

its like a little spill.com reunion
>>
>>68679089
From what i know the movies dont really follow the comics and the comics dont all have the same story anyway. not realy a fan of capeshit desu.
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.