[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinatown is a film that is a masterpiece. It gets no attention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: chinatown jack.jpg (553 KB, 1299x1023) Image search: [Google]
chinatown jack.jpg
553 KB, 1299x1023
Chinatown is a film that is a masterpiece. It gets no attention on /tv/, yet it is a film of such higher quality than any of the superhero movies that are talked about on /tv/ 24/7.
>>
File: ninth-gate-5227010cc7d86.jpg (320 KB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
ninth-gate-5227010cc7d86.jpg
320 KB, 1000x1426
superior Polanski noir
>>
Maybe if you like child rapists
>>
>>68665422
no, OP is right.
>>
>>68665368
Top tier soundtrack and fucked up ending. It is a 9/10 imo
>>
Yet rather than offer any content, opinions or insight to get a Chinatown thread rolling, you choose to invite the same old shitposting and antagonism. There are Chinatown threads, there are noir threads. Welcome.
>>
>>68665368

It's a great movie. Polanski in general is pretty amazing. My favourite of his is Bitter Moon though.
>>
>>68665368
Forget it Jake, it's Zod's snapped neck[spoiler/]
>>
>>68665368
Tell us why exactly it is a masterpiece.
>>
Forget it, OP. It's Chinatown.
>>
Like most noir I appreciate it more than like it. Something about that genre just doesn't connect with me. They're all so cynical, but in a way that doesn't ever feel tragic. From the start you know the hero will be morally corrupted, or die, or lose himself in some way, and that really makes it hard to feel emotionally invested. I know you could say that about most drama but I think the journey is more important than the destination. With noir the destination is the journey, if that makes sense and isn't pretentious bullshit. Noir protagonists are all set up to fail

However, I love latter-day neo-noir that turn the genre tropes around for fun, like The Big Lebowski, Brick, Winter's Bone. Playing with the genre is more interesting to me that seeing it straight

>>68667063
This. Actually try to make conversation and it will come, don't bitch that its not there waiting for you
>>
>>68667046
This.

I watched the movie probably twice but listened to the entire soundtrack over 100 times.
>>
>>68665422
lol
>>
>>68665368
It's a great movie, and it comes up from time to time.
>>
>>68667082
Knife in the water was nice too.
>>
>>68665368
Forget it, OP. It's /tv/town
>>
>>68665422
massively underrated
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.